Cruising from and to Canada, what is the testing policy?

CATTOCRUISERS

I have an Alaska cruise and was wondering that myself.ย  ย The requirement currently is

ย 

Arriving by car, bus, boat, ferry or train

You must take a molecular test outside of Canada within 72 hours of your planned entry into Canada.

ย 

This would mean the entire cruise would need a molecular test during the last few days of the cruise.ย  ย That's not going to happen.ย  I expect/hope they will change that requirement otherwise cruises into Canada won't happen.ย ย 

• Like 2

Canadian officials are currently looking at the issue with the cruise lines. The issue effects not only cruises terminating in Vancouver but cruises that have a port of call in Victoria. Hopefully we'll see some sensible solutions that will make all parties happy and we won't have another Alaskan cruise season in turmoil.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, gubby said:

We have a Canada/New England cruise out of Brooklyn to Quebec City, and makes a couple of stops in the Maritimes as well. How will these be handled?ย 

Great question. Everyone tends to focus on Alaskan cruises and ignore the same situation on the east coast. That said, whatever they work out for Alaska will undoubtedly be applied to Canada/New England or other cruises that stop in the Maritimes. We are looking at a HAL cruise from Boston to Quรฉbec City that includes three stops in Newfoundland, but won't book until we get some indication as to how the GOC will handle things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gubby said:

We have a Canada/New England cruise out of Brooklyn to Quebec City, and makes a couple of stops in the Maritimes as well. How will these be handled?ย 

That is a good question as well. I really miss seeing the cruise boats on our Halifax waterfront. The sensible answer would be that a PCR test allowing you to board in Brooklyn would be sufficient. Unfortunately, thats not the way we have been rolling here lately.

We are in a similar situation - 7 night Pacific Coastal with Princess, leaving LA April 30th arriving in Victoria one day before debarking Vancouver. I just cant see Princess doing free PCR tests for all passengers before they get off in Victoria, but as of now there are no answers.

23 minutes ago, redtop101 said:

We are in a similar situation - 7 night Pacific Coastal with Princess, leaving LA April 30th arriving in Victoria one day before debarking Vancouver. I just cant see Princess doing free PCR tests for all passengers before they get off in Victoria, but as of now there are no answers.

Today Princess Cruise announced further cancellations on there website.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DHP1 said:

Today Princess Cruise announced further cancellations on there website.

So far our cruise has not been cancelled, but the logistics of testing Canadian, US and International travellers within 2 days of arrival in Victoria is going to be quite a challenge. Going to be interesting where this goes.ย 

• Like 1

On the positive side, the current wave appears to be heading towards its peak within the next few weeks, and the record setting numbers will hopefully be behind us in the near future. At the same time, a lot of pressure is being put on the GOC to reduce or eliminate PCR testing for entry.ย Theresa Tam for the first time said earlier this week that the entry requirements and their impact on COVID could be revisited.

ย 

On the negative side, the GOC has been very cautious in its approach and will be slow to reduce its requirements. While that might not be a huge issue normally, the Alaska and east coast cruising seasons are coming up quickly. While the GOC has indicated that it is already consulting with the cruise industry over entry requirements, if we are to avoid last year's Alaska cruise season dรฉbรขcle, decisions will need to be made very soon. I personally don't believe that they'll introduce less stringent protocols for cruise passengers than for other travellers, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be an across the board reduction in entry requirements.

• Like 4

We have been booked on the Greenland cruise 3 times now, and really hope it sails this year. If not, I am not sure we will be able to do it in 2023. When you reach mid-70's, and lose 3 years of travel, it becomes harder to make them up. Staying safe and keeping fingers, toes, legs, and Arms crossed.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Fouremco said:

On the positive side, the current wave appears to be heading towards its peak within the next few weeks, and the record setting numbers will hopefully be behind us in the near future. At the same time, a lot of pressure is being put on the GOC to reduce or eliminate PCR testing for entry.ย Theresa Tam for the first time said earlier this week that the entry requirements and their impact on COVID could be revisited.

ย 

On the negative side, the GOC has been very cautious in its approach and will be slow to reduce its requirements. While that might not be a huge issue normally, the Alaska and east coast cruising seasons are coming up quickly. While the GOC has indicated that it is already consulting with the cruise industry over entry requirements, if we are to avoid last year's Alaska cruise season dรฉbรขcle, decisions will need to be made very soon. I personally don't believe that they'll introduce less stringent protocols for cruise passengers than for other travellers, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be an across the board reduction in entry requirements.

The Omicron infections peaked in BC about a week ago. Hospital admissions are forecast to peak in about 14 days. I expect that Omicron infects in BC will disappear by late February or early March. This based on the data coming from South Africa and the UK.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MillbrookMom said:

Following this thread as we have an Alaska cruise booked for May (round trip Vancouver).ย  Keeping our fingers crossed that we can go as planned.ย ๐Ÿคž

With all the travel restrictions around the world, we just booked an Alaska cruise (plan B) for early September (round trip from Vancouver) as a back up plan. Any Alaska cruise earlier than that weโ€™re all booked. ย We had to use our FCC by the end of this year so we came up with plan โ€œBโ€. ย Plan โ€œAโ€ is Australia/New Zealand. We cancel our March cruise as we would have to be tested 3-4 times. Trusting Alaska cruise testing requirements will be 1-2.ย 

Edited by DHP1
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 9:15 PM, CATTOCRUISERS said:

Has anyone planned an Alaskan cruise that starts and ends in Vancouver and knows how the PCR testing to come back into Canada will work?

I believe that it is far too early to even make a good guess.

ย 

This covid business has moved quickly.ย  Hard to predict what restrictions, if any, will be in place for during this years Alaska cruise season.ย  Assuming there is one of course.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ByThePond said:

We are on a TA from New York stopping in Halifax on 30 April.ย 

you're an easy case. Worse case you guys dont stop in Halifax, sucks if you had plans and looked fowared to that port. But at least your cruise is 99% happening.

I am following. Also affects any Hawaii sailings. Booked on the Disney Wonder April 26th.

More challenging is also for those flying in from overseas. NON-US entry. The issue is additional testing and how this affects missing the boat. As a rule we always give 2 days to fly in .. That is another challenge.

Looks like its still being figured out, according to Princess at least:ย 
ย 

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

-- Under "Covid testing requirements":

For 2022 Alaska cruisetours and Alaska and non-Alaska cruises starting or ending in Vancouver, Canada, weโ€™re working with Canadian authorities to determine the specific guidance on testing for both cruisetours and cruising. Weโ€™ll advise booked guests once that information becomes available.

Edited by CruisinFinsUp
  • Thanks 1

I am also following this thread as I am boarding HAL Nieuw Amsterdam in Fort Lauderdale on April 7 doing the Panama Canal, stopping in Victoria then Vancouver, we just recently added the Alaska portion to this voyage from May 1 to May 8, the flying home. ย With all that is ongoing including the testing, the Arrive Can issue, Iโ€™m starting ย to find all this very stressful as I have no idea what to expect or how to go about getting testing. ย I looked at the Arrive Can app and am so confusedโ€ฆ. Guess I got time and hopefully a lot of these conditions and restrictions will be changed by then.

ย 

Diane

On 1/14/2022 at 1:13 PM, shirley valentine said:

Iโ€™ve got a Holland America Alaska cruise booked end of April . Final payment due end of Jan.ย 
This is not looking good ย ๐Ÿ˜Œย 

Looks like Holland America and Princess just announced changes in news today . My final payment date now 60 days not 90 before cruise. So itโ€™s Feb 26 payment for Alaska April 27 cruise . Iโ€™m hanging in there ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ‘

• Like 2