How full was your ship?

austinetc

1 minute ago, austinetc said:

I'm wondering, for those who have recently been on a Viking cruise, how full was the ship? My experience on a Viking River cruise in August was that it was about 50% full.

Viking Sky Med. Cruise (Rome-Istanbul)

week 1-265 passengers

Week 2 370 passengers

Clearly more staff than passengers. 1 COVID case pre-boarding and 1 allegedly as posted elsewhere during the cruise. 

• Like 1

I heard that there are less than 200 on the Sky right now.

Anyone have any clue what their break even point might be? Some of us at the quarantine villas on Rhodes were talking about this and were making the assumption that they must still find it worthwhile to cruise right now even with considerably lower numbers and higher costs such as for PCR testing and caring for the occasional quarantined / disembarked passengers such as us, for whatever reason that might be.

We cruised Athens to Istanbul on the Sky in late December. I was told days before our departure by a Viking rep on the phone that there were 236 cabins available for our cruise. So less than half full. Thank goodness!  I can’t imagine what that cruise/ship would be like full, even in non Covid times. 

48 minutes ago, WeBeTravelCrazy said:

We cruised Athens to Istanbul on the Sky in late December. I was told days before our departure by a Viking rep on the phone that there were 236 cabins available for our cruise. So less than half full. Thank goodness!  I can’t imagine what that cruise/ship would be like full, even in non Covid times. 

Actually, even when full, the ship rarely seems crowded. The World Cafe in the morning before excursions can be hectic, and the Star Theater for shows sometimes, but other than that there are not lines to wait in pretty much anywhere. During a sea day, you can almost always find a peaceful spot to read. All in all, a full Viking cruise is generally very pleasant indeed.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

Actually, even when full, the ship rarely seems crowded. The World Cafe in the morning before excursions can be hectic, and the Star Theater for shows sometimes, but other than that there are not lines to wait in pretty much anywhere. During a sea day, you can almost always find a peaceful spot to read. All in all, a full Viking cruise is generally very pleasant indeed.

VS. 6780 pax on RC’s Symphony of the Seas !
(More like Cacophony of the Seas!!) 😳👎

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WeBeTravelCrazy said:

It really isn’t bad when the ship is full.  The only time it was was when everyone disembarked and were waiting in the Atrium for groups to be called.  Breakfast that morning is a zoo…..which is why we order room service that day.  Otherwise, you can always find a quiet place on the ship.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/14/2022 at 6:49 AM, austinetc said:

I'm wondering, for those who have recently been on a Viking cruise, how full was the ship? My experience on a Viking River cruise in August was that it was about 50% full.

We were on an 11-day Caribbean cruise in December; it was 2/3 full, about 600 people. Very nice.

12 minutes ago, jtwind said:

We were ready to bite the bullet and start cruising again in April, until I found out they were allowing full capacity, and were almost sold out.  Nah.  (April Greek Odyssey)

How did you find out that they were full capacity? When we did a river cruise last August the web site listed the ship as sold out, but it was actually 60% full.

11 minutes ago, austinetc said:

How did you find out that they were full capacity? When we did a river cruise last August the web site listed the ship as sold out, but it was actually 60% full.

When I went to book, they told me that they were almost sold out, at which point I asked what they would consider full for the trip.  The reply was 930.