How full was your ship?

austinetc

2 hours ago, jtwind said:

When I went to book, they told me that they were almost sold out, at which point I asked what they would consider full for the trip.  The reply was 930.

I think that would mean they were not setting aside any cabins for quarantine. I would be surprised if that was accurate for an April sailing.

9 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

I think that would mean they were not setting aside any cabins for quarantine. I would be surprised if that was accurate for an April sailing.

I think this is correct at this time. I can imagine cabins appearing as unavailable to salespeoples' computer screens, but not actually booked. If the infection and mortality rates continue to drop, management may choose to open these cabins up. I'm still curious in how full the ships are, partly to gage the interest in cruising. If ships continue to be undercapacity, I'll be less hurried to book future cruises.  Also, I recall that when we were on board a fully booked Viking ship, there were many sections of the ship that appeared empty. With Covid concerns, I'm expecting even more people to stay in their cabins.  

I don't want to be part of an experiment.  From the start of this plague, the outcome of lifting restrictions has been pretty predictable.

I have to say, though, that the person who told me that they were close to selling out all 930 spots also told me that room service was only available during breakfast.  Is that so?

8 minutes ago, jtwind said:

I have to say, though, that the person who told me that they were close to selling out all 930 spots also told me that room service was only available during breakfast.  Is that so?

That's surprising. It's usually 24-hours. I don't mean to be critical of VIking too much, but their sales staff and corporate personnel don't always have accurate shipboard information. I'd pose the question to people who are crusing now.

I'm always a bit skeptical when someone says "I read", or "I heard" ... and especially when they claim that a "Viking agent told me ...".  All too often that "Viking agent" is a low ranking individual working from home or a small remote office.  I had occasion to call for some general stuff twice in one day; the first call was answered by someone in Arizona and the second by someone in Boston.  They know their job, which is booking but anything else is a "best guess".  If you want real information use tellus@vikingcruises.com.  FWIW ... Viking's site specifies that room service is available 24 hours a day so unless they change that or insert a caveat, I would assume that you can order room service 24 hours a day.

11 hours ago, austinetc said:

That's surprising. It's usually 24-hours. I don't mean to be critical of VIking too much, but their sales staff and corporate personnel don't always have accurate shipboard information. I'd pose the question to people who are crusing now.

Edited by molymoo

I just came back to this forum to find out how I could get reliable info about this cruise, so you answered my question before I asked.  Thanks.  I got my info from the chat on the Viking site.  What I meant by my earlier post is that I didn't really trust what the person on the chat was telling me about capacity limits because I was pretty sure he was wrong about room service for breakfast only.  A few minutes after chatting, I found the place on Viking Ocean's site where 24 hour room service is one of their selling points.

39 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

Yes -room service is 24 hour, although no breakfast items on that menu. For room service breakfast, utilize the hang tag and out it out the evening prior.

Room service breakfast is wonderful; we took advantage of that every morning on our last cruise. It was on time and about 95% accurate (had some substitutions one morning but not a big deal at all). Highly recommended.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broker1217 said:

Yes -room service is 24 hour, although no breakfast items on that menu. For room service breakfast, utilize the hang tag and out it out the evening prior.

We were also able to order room service breakfast the morning of by calling the RS number.  It was delivered to our room within about 20 minutes. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, austinetc said:

Posting to put this question back on top. We depart for a VIking Sky cruise on April 22. The booking site implies the ship is nearly full.  I have doubts.

On the Sky now; I was told there are 500 passengers aboard right now.

5 hours ago, austinetc said:

Posting to put this question back on top. We depart for a VIking Sky cruise on April 22. The booking site implies the ship is nearly full.  I have doubts.

I think that the website indicates that it has filled as many cabins as it is intending to sell for that sail date cruise -- and there is no way of knowing what that number is until you are on board and ask how many people are booked. 

• Like 2