Visiting Amalfi area

Hawaiidan

The port shown  is Positano/Amalfi,  neither of which has docking or anchorage.      Would it be Sorrentino?        And.... for anyone who has  tendered ashore at Sorrentino....  did they use ships tenders or Large barge like tenders. for100+    to go ashore?    

11 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

The port shown  is Positano/Amalfi,  neither of which has docking or anchorage.      Would it be Sorrentino?        And.... for anyone who has  tendered ashore at Sorrentino....  did they use ships tenders or Large barge like tenders. for100+    to go ashore?    

I am assuming you are asking about Sorrento.  I looked at your sailing, Rambles to Renaissance.  You will visit Amalfi, not Sorrento.

We have had ports at Sorrento and Amalfi.  They are 2 different port stops but both are tendered.  Our Oceania ship (Marina) always used its own tenders in both ports.  No "large barges".  

-Katie

Us too, no barges.  A great tour in Amalfi is up to Ravello. We were up there in the gardens on a stage where they hold musical events during the summer. It overlooks the Amalfi Coast and it is spectacular. We were there with Artie Johnson, yes the Laugh In Artie Johnson.

Good luck,

Mauibabes

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

Us too, no barges.  A great tour in Amalfi is up to Ravello. We were up there in the gardens on a stage where they hold musical events during the summer. It overlooks the Amalfi Coast and it is spectacular. We were there with Artie Johnson, yes the Laugh In Artie Johnson.

Good luck,

Mauibabes

So you actull

4 hours ago, KatieBelle said:

I am assuming you are asking about Sorrento.  I looked at your sailing, Rambles to Renaissance.  You will visit Amalfi, not Sorrento.

We have had ports at Sorrento and Amalfi.  They are 2 different port stops but both are tendered.  Our Oceania ship (Marina) always used its own tenders in both ports.  No "large barges".  

-Katie

ay anchor at amalfi and tender in  ?  I know Positano is not equipped   But Amalfi !  Trying to line up a private tour and do no know where to start getting guides from.   I am amazed at Amalfi  as what is the point for a coastal drive when you have to start in the middle of the drive...   I would think Sorrento the logical choice... ( on Marina)      But do not not want to lock and deposit on a  tour with no start point.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

I would think Sorrento the logical choice... ( on Marina)

Sorrento may seem logical to you and me but if the itinerary says Amalfi, you will indeed arrive via tender in Amalfi!     You will be deposited almost in the center of the Amalfi town square.  I would recommend visiting the cathedral with the tomb of the apostle Andrew.

If you are dead set on a coastal drive, be prepared for a slow moving, harrowing experience.  Hours in a vehicle that will require most of your day.

We used the local ferry to Positano.  Much more convenient and possibly even quicker than going by car/van. Lovely place with everything uphill!

We also have done a local taxi with several others onboard to Ravello.  Agree with mauibabes that it is magical.  Would be our first choice to visit again.  

Hope this helps.  -Katie

• Like 2

I agree with KatieBelle’s assessment above.  The Amalfi Coast Road is extremely narrow and twisty., and it is not unusual to see tour coaches get hung up on the corners.  I won’t mention the fatal motorcycle accidents every weekend.

I got stuck at one spot in a torrential rainstorm when the driver said it was not safe to proceed, and we were there for two hours unable to go forward or backwards as 12 inches of water flowed down the road.     Photos of this are on my travel blog at  https://rbarrywalker.wordpress.com/2012/09/17/a-rainy-friday-on-the-amalfi-coast/.  

The small cruise tours from Amalfi to Salerno will take you into spots you can’t see from the road.   Don’t miss Positano - the tiles on the Duomo (Cathedral) are amazing.

• Like 1

We agree with the above posts. We anchored in Amalfi and took a local water taxi/ferry to Positano and recall it was approximately 20-25 minute trip. As it was a return visit for us, we spent the afternoon strolling beautiful Positano and had a delightful lunch before returning to Amalfi where we also walked around. Sorrento is further away and when we stopped it was a tender port (beautiful spot to see). Perhaps Oceania or TA can clarify if they tender at Amalfi or Positano; on the front page of O's Ports and Excursion page for this cruise, it states Amalfi. Enjoy this beautiful country!

734923545_ScreenShot2022-01-14at4_32_22PM.png.c2c58bc1bb018cd373a559fceefc7551.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 4.40.21 PM.png

• Like 1

The last time we actually tendered into Amalfi, six of us prearranged a charter of a small motorized boat with a captain and cruised up the coast with magnificent views up and then crossed to Capri, where our captain took us for a short sea tour around much of the island, including to the not famous grotto, docked for us to visit Capri for most of the day (five hours?),  then returned us to Amalfi.

BTW, we had done the famous drive on our first visit to this area on a private van tour from Sorrento organized by Oceania enthusiast and then frequent poster Jim (of StanandJim.) We had a magnificent lunch in Pantone (above Amalfi) on the way back from Ravello. As is said in my tradition, may Jim’s memory be for a blessing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CintiPam said:

The last time we actually tendered into Amalfi, six of us prearranged a charter of a small motorized boat with a captain and cruised up the coast with magnificent views up and then crossed to Capri, where our captain took us for a short sea tour around much of the island, including to the not famous grotto, docked for us to visit Capri for most of the day (five hours?),  then returned us to Amalfi.

BTW, we had done the famous drive on our first visit to this area on a private van tour from Sorrento organized by Oceania enthusiast and then frequent poster Jim (of StanandJim.) We had a magnificent lunch in Pantone (above Amalfi) on the way back from Ravello. As is said in my tradition, may Jim’s memory be for a blessing.

Thanks all  with  disabled wife Positano is off the menu for me.  Capri  likewise a no go.   Wanted to do the drive and eat in Ravello or Amalfi... however its a Saturday  and  it will be in August  rather busy.     Looks like forget tours and get a local taxi... Pantone sounds good too.    The road dosen't worry me at all    I drive the French Ledge roads  a lot... and Amalfi is not even close.....   

119.JPG

• Like 2

We have been to these ports several times with Oceania. Sorrento, Postiano and Amalfi are all tender ports and use the Oceania tenders. Once it was too choppy to tender in Amalfi so we tendered in Sorrento. We took the bus down Positano and then hung around and visited SOrrento. If you have a long port time you can ferry over to Capri for the day. There isn't much to do in Positano. The next time we were able to tender into Amalfi. We took the bus to Ravello and visited the gardens at the Hotel Villa Cimbrone. Beautiful. We walked/hiked backed to the ship with a lunch stop in Atrani. I'm glad I did it then since I couldn't do it now lol. The next time we were able to tender into Amalfi. We again took the bus to Ravello and visited the gardens of Villa Rudolfo. Both the town of Ravello and the gardens are lovely. We took the bus back to Amalfi which turned out to also serve as the local school bus at that hour and had the ride of our lives. 

• Like 1

A year or so back, my partner had a long weekend staying in Amalfi (flying into Naples). She took the ferry to Positano and enjoyed a very nice lunch by the sea. Similary ferry to Capri. And caught the local bus a bit inland to Ravello, which has some great views along the coast

Thanks all. and Harters?Terriers,.. but traveling with a person of  very limited mobility, taking the bus. water taxi, hiking and Positano ( steep narrow streets) and Capri will not work at all  for her     Gotta stick with car tours and accessible places....   May have to just enjoy the ship that day.    You do what you have to with the card you get dealt.

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

Thanks all. and Harters?Terriers,.. but traveling with a person of  very limited mobility, taking the bus. water taxi, hiking and Positano ( steep narrow streets) and Capri will not work at all  for her     Gotta stick with car tours and accessible places....   May have to just enjoy the ship that day.    You do what you have to with the card you get dealt.

The Rick Steves forum suggested two private guides. Perhaps that would work best.

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/amalfi-coast-driver-monetti-or-del-pizzo

• Like 2

16 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Our cruise actually says we go into Salerno when I did into the details.

II am on the 2022  August 18 BCN-FCO  Riviera.....    so  is it on that that cruise  that Salerno will be the port for the Amalfi stop?      Carmine says he is flexible as to Sorrento or Salerno  .  Already had those bases covered..    By the way the guy is  super communicative and flexible.    emailed him Saturday evening PST and got an answer within 2 hours.     I am impressed. 

By the way while many use and love Tours by locals, you should know they take a big comission

If you can book direct you might consider it.   As an example Tours by Locals charged 535E for a tour for 2. with+ 50  for food.   Whereas, by booking direct with same tour guide he charged 450E AND that included a 3 course lunch, wine and desert too!!!     So, sports fans that 135E ot $155USD different..........       Worth  considering the option.... well for me anyway.  Ciao/Tschuss   Dan

Edited by Hawaiidan

We did a Southern Italy land trip and spent 3 days in Sorrento and traveled the total Amalfi coast which is absolutely beautiful. This area is our favorite in Italy and a place I would love to live. You will love any tour you do from Positano, but the area is up and down hills and cliffs so when walking you will have many steps up and down. You will love your trip.

On 1/16/2022 at 12:21 PM, Hawaiidan said:

II am on the 2022  August 18 BCN-FCO  Riviera.....    so  is it on that that cruise  that Salerno will be the port for the Amalfi stop?      Carmine says he is flexible as to Sorrento or Salerno  .  Already had those bases covered..    By the way the guy is  super communicative and flexible.    emailed him Saturday evening PST and got an answer within 2 hours.     I am impressed. 

By the way while many use and love Tours by locals, you should know they take a big comission

If you can book direct you might consider it.   As an example Tours by Locals charged 535E for a tour for 2. with+ 50  for food.   Whereas, by booking direct with same tour guide he charged 450E AND that included a 3 course lunch, wine and desert too!!!     So, sports fans that 135E ot $155USD different..........       Worth  considering the option.... well for me anyway.  Ciao/Tschuss   Dan

The August 18th Riviera cruise anchors in Amalfi/Positano. If all goes well then you will tender into one of these ports. If the weather does not cooperate then Oceania may anchor in Sorrento or even dock in Naples. 

Edited by TERRIER1
  • Like 1

If by some chance, you end up in Salerno and don't get to Amalfi or Positano, there are some other options. Don't miss the Castello di Arechi which dates back to the Byzantine era.  The Giardino della Minerva dates from the15th century, and was laid out according to the traditional 4 humors of the body to grow medicinal plants and herbs.  The museum of the Medical School (Scuola Medica Saliterna)  is also worth a look.  

If time permits, you might want to consider a tour to Paestum to see the magnificent Greek Temples.

Finally, for military history fans, the beaches south of Salerno were the site of the Allied invasion of Italy in September 1943

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 12:27 AM, Hawaiidan said:

Thanks all  with  disabled wife Positano is off the menu for me.  Capri  likewise a no go.   Wanted to do the drive and eat in Ravello or Amalfi... however its a Saturday  and  it will be in August  rather busy.     Looks like forget tours and get a local taxi... Pantone sounds good too.    The road dosen't worry me at all    I drive the French Ledge roads  a lot... and Amalfi is not even close.....   

119.JPG

Actually, Dan, that pic could pass for some spots on the road from Amalfi to Napoli.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 12:24 PM, Hawaiidan said:

Highly recommend you at least get off ship and see Amalfi. It will be a tender stop but the ride in is typically smooth. At the entrance to the city ( through the walled gate) there is a pasticceria on the left, Savoia. Excellent gelato and the most wonderful lemon and orange amoretti. Walking around or navigating in Amalfi is not bad. For lunch try Ristorante Pizzeria Sant Andrea just past the Cathedral. Authentic Neapolitan pizza, ie; not drowned in cheese with a crust as thick as bread. Slices of fresh mozzarella , olive oil, San Marzano tomato sauce ( sparingly), prosciutto and arugula. Nirvana!

5 hours ago, navelgunner said:

If by some chance, you end up in Salerno and don't get to Amalfi or Positano, there are some other options. Don't miss the Castello di Arechi which dates back to the Byzantine era.  The Giardino della Minerva dates from the15th century, and was laid out according to the traditional 4 humors of the body to grow medicinal plants and herbs.  The museum of the Medical School (Scuola Medica Saliterna)  is also worth a look.  

If time permits, you might want to consider a tour to Paestum to see the magnificent Greek Temples.

Finally, for military history fans, the beaches south of Salerno were the site of the Allied invasion of Italy in September 1943

To be exact Sept 9 1943  elements of the US 36th Div ( Texas Division)  hit the beach to intense german fire    (  See the movie; Walk in the Sun)....No I am in respect   of that sacrifice   Its not that long ago..

OIP.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

Highly recommend you at least get off ship and see Amalfi. It will be a tender stop but the ride in is typically smooth. At the entrance to the city ( through the walled gate) there is a pasticceria on the left, Savoia. Excellent gelato and the most wonderful lemon and orange amoretti. Walking around or navigating in Amalfi is not bad. For lunch try Ristorante Pizzeria Sant Andrea just past the Cathedral. Authentic Neapolitan pizza, ie; not drowned in cheese with a crust as thick as bread. Slices of fresh mozzarella , olive oil, San Marzano tomato sauce ( sparingly), prosciutto and arugula. Nirvana!

Thanks....    I have hired an all day  private guide/driver, customized for my wife's ability and  even included a 3 course lunch with wine and limoncello and desert.....   

The guy I  booked was the same guy who guided  Rick Steves around when he made his  episode on the Amalfi coast...!      His name is Carmine.....    360 E !!!!    ( which was 155 cheaper than through Tours by locals"   )       

Thanks for All your suggestions    They are deeply appreciated. 

• Like 2