Opening Balcony Partitions

patbob1

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I beg to differ. Those balcony partitions, particularly at bulkhead locations, are firebreaks. The ship’s Master controls whether any of them can be opened for other than maintenance purposes.

100% correct!

5 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I beg to differ. Those balcony partitions, particularly at bulkhead locations, are firebreaks. The ship’s Master controls whether any of them can be opened for other than maintenance purposes.

I cam only report that on 2 of our O cruises. when sailing with close with frineds.  in PH's the balcony partition was opened up and left locked open for the cruise thus allowing us to have one very nice large balcony and we could walk between rooms without going out into the hall.  I was reporting from first hand experience not second hand rumor

• Like 2

Pre-Covid, on the Marina in a Concierge cabin Deck 10, they unlocked the partition for us upon request. I believe the partition was locked back each evening when we went to dinner, but they would open them again on another day upon request. 

A group of us had some very nice Happy Hours on the expanded veranda on a couple of evenings. Alcohol was involved! 😇

• Like 1

In October 2021, on Riviera they were NOT opening the partitions. We chatted from the railing with our neighbors. IMHO you should not plan for enlarged verandas during these Covid times. If we refer back to an old Chad and Jeremy song, “That was yesterday and yesterday ’s gone”. 

Maybe someone who is at sea now can chime in. 
Mauibabes

1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

In October 2021, on Riviera they were NOT opening the partitions. We chatted from the railing with our neighbors. IMHO you should not plan for enlarged verandas during these Covid times. If we refer back to an old Chad and Jeremy song, “That was yesterday and yesterday ’s gone”. 

Maybe someone who is at sea now can chime in. 
Mauibabes

Mauibabes;  I agree, yesterday is gone.

My personal beliefs are that any posts referencing cruises pre-March 2020 is similar to talking about sailing on the Mayflower, or about as informative as talking about Renaissance.

Perfect example is dress codes. What are they? Haven’t been able to tell in years. The correct answer is : what are they currently enforcing today? I won’t know until Oct, if that cruise isn’t cancelled like my 5 previous cruises were. Ask someone that has cruised recently.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

R ships have banks of cabins.  The ship is welded together. You may notice a break on the deck plan.  The cabins at the ends of the bank have a solid veranda wall that cannot open on one side. The cabins between the end cabins have veranda walls that can be opened. Need a key to do it. Cabin attendant can open it. At least that was the case before Covid.  Now I can understand why ships may be reluctant to open walls.  It protects guests…. social distancing.  Also,  cabins at the ends of the bank are often noisier when the ship sails.  If you have ever heard weird noises, it was likely the rubbing where the joints meet.  Many years ago a reservation rep on Azamara told me to avoid those cabins. 

• Like 1