Seven Days In Antarctica, Three Falkland Islands and Ten Sea Days

eylarson

Our itinerary on board the Octantis has changed to reflect the above and skips all ports in Brazil.  COVID given as the cause, although I can find nothing that makes Brazil any more difficult than Argentina and Uruguay where port calls are still scheduled.  On board credit, Silver Spirits package and free economy air fare (We already had included the package and air fare) offered as compensation.  
My questions:  Is there that much to see and do for seven days in Antarctica and visiting all three Falkland Islands?  We’ve been to Port Stanley, it’s a nice little town, but after that and seeing penguins, what?  Appreciate your responses.  

37 minutes ago, eylarson said:

Our itinerary on board the Octantis has changed to reflect the above and skips all ports in Brazil.  COVID given as the cause, although I can find nothing that makes Brazil any more difficult than Argentina and Uruguay where port calls are still scheduled.  On board credit, Silver Spirits package and free economy air fare (We already had included the package and air fare) offered as compensation.  
My questions:  Is there that much to see and do for seven days in Antarctica and visiting all three Falkland Islands?  We’ve been to Port Stanley, it’s a nice little town, but after that and seeing penguins, what?  Appreciate your responses.  

The Viking Jupiter was denied ports in Brazil during it's TA.  The current sailing Around Cape Horn had to skip all Argentina ports - Buenas Aires, Puerto Madryn and Ushuaia.  Brazil has been closed to international cruise ships.  I believe Argentina just recently denied docking due to Covid cases.

Only 7 days in Antarctica?  I would want more!

• Like 1

Tell me what you did in 7 days?  I once ran a ship up to the Arctic for a couple of years.  I have to say the first trip, at least the first month, had some WOW! moments.  After a while it dawned on me that ice is ice, snow is snow, and unless you can go over there and dance with the penguins......  And in some of the roughest seas on the planet.  Haha, give me Jost van Dyke for my money.🍸  But then if you have never been such places it is worth doing.  I still think Antarctica will be lots of one and done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eylarson said:

Courtesy of a Costa & MSC ship, both with extensive COVID transmission, Brazil has closed their ports to cruise ships, so Viking has no option, but to bypass those ports. I believe I first read of the Brazilian port closure about 1-week ago.

Personally, this is an area of the World we still have to visit, so for us, additional days in Antarctica & Falkland Islands - bonus, as those are two of the most difficult places to visit. Based on the recent issues experienced by Jupiter, I would not be disappointed in missing Brazil, at present.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Courtesy of a Costa & MSC ship, both with extensive COVID transmission, Brazil has closed their ports to cruise ships, so Viking has no option, but to bypass those ports. I believe I first read of the Brazilian port closure about 1-week ago.

Personally, this is an area of the World we still have to visit, so for us, additional days in Antarctica & Falkland Islands - bonus, as those are two of the most difficult places to visit. Based on the recent issues experienced by Jupiter, I would not be disappointed in missing Brazil, at present.

Your new itinerary sounds amazing, wow!  We’d love to spend extra time visiting the Falkland Islands and Antartica!  Sure that Viking is doing their best to navigate the waters during Covid.  Lucky you!

• Like 3

We have been to Antarctica with Grand Circle Travel and had nine outings in the Zodiacs over about a three-day period.  We went to Deception Island and Port Lockroy. The only way it would be advantageous to us to have seven days there is if Viking were to go to some really interesting places--- like the whaling station where Shackleton was able to find help to rescue his men.  There are some research stations but most of them start closing up for the winter. This change of itinerary is frustrating because Viking has not told us where the outings will be.  Haven’t been to Port Stanley but as you say, it’s a nice little town but what else is there to do?  We really wanted to see French Guiana because of its history in space launches and the recent James Webb Telescope launch.    I also don’t see the extra day in Bridgetown to be an advantage. 

I feel very frustrated that we are losing nine days in Brazil (and I know it’s not Viking’s fault that COVID is rampant) but offering us $1000 credit for losing 9 days in Brazil is insulting.  Offering more sea days is also insulting.  We are spending a lot of $$$ to just cruise around the Atlantic Ocean.  Ten straight days on board ship is not what we would have willingly agreed to.  The trip itself from Buenos Aires to NYC is 41 nights and we’re expected to spend a solid 25% of that time on the ship with no docking? And offering us a few crumbs for compensation. 

We paid extra for premium economy and they are offering us NOTHING when we now could have obtained free economy flights. The flight is one way from Phoenix to Buenos Aires.   We didn’t take the Silver Spirits package because we’re not big drinkers and the complementary wine for lunches and dinners is more than enough for us. 

My husband doesn’t want to cancel the trip but we are both frustrated that Viking is not offering more information on itinerary, etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eylarson said:

Having been to Antarctica, the Falklands for 3 days AND South Georgia Island for 8 or 9 days, I will take the changes they have made over Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay any day.  Agree that Port Stanley is a nice little town  but the outer islands in the Falklands with great scenery and tons of penguins, albatrosses' and Striated Caracara is awesome beyond belief.  Look at what you are complaining about as a tremendous win.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 3

I’ve spent one day in the fabulous Falklands (cruise excursion) and three days on my own in Rio, the most beautiful city in the world IMO. Would I go back to both places? Absolutely! So enjoy the extended time in the Falklands and save Brazil for another time, when the world has settled down.

4 hours ago, f.razmus said:

We have been to Antarctica with Grand Circle Travel and had nine outings in the Zodiacs over about a three-day period.  We went to Deception Island and Port Lockroy. The only way it would be advantageous to us to have seven days there is if Viking were to go to some really interesting places--- like the whaling station where Shackleton was able to find help to rescue his men.  There are some research stations but most of them start closing up for the winter. This change of itinerary is frustrating because Viking has not told us where the outings will be.  Haven’t been to Port Stanley but as you say, it’s a nice little town but what else is there to do?  We really wanted to see French Guiana because of its history in space launches and the recent James Webb Telescope launch.    I also don’t see the extra day in Bridgetown to be an advantage. 

I feel very frustrated that we are losing nine days in Brazil (and I know it’s not Viking’s fault that COVID is rampant) but offering us $1000 credit for losing 9 days in Brazil is insulting.  Offering more sea days is also insulting.  We are spending a lot of $$$ to just cruise around the Atlantic Ocean.  Ten straight days on board ship is not what we would have willingly agreed to.  The trip itself from Buenos Aires to NYC is 41 nights and we’re expected to spend a solid 25% of that time on the ship with no docking? And offering us a few crumbs for compensation. 

We paid extra for premium economy and they are offering us NOTHING when we now could have obtained free economy flights. The flight is one way from Phoenix to Buenos Aires.   We didn’t take the Silver Spirits package because we’re not big drinkers and the complementary wine for lunches and dinners is more than enough for us. 

My husband doesn’t want to cancel the trip but we are both frustrated that Viking is not offering more information on itinerary, etc.

If what you is true, then it sounds like your only choices are:

1.  Accept what Viking offers and have an upsetting cruise

2.  Cancel it while you can and move on.

Everyone is different but if it were me, I'd cancel.  If I felt that mad at Viking, to even do the cruise, it would be irritating.  Time to move on!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, f.razmus said:

Based on the terms and conditions that you accepted when you paid the deposit, Viking do not owe any compensation due to Brazil closing all their ports to cruise ships. Any compensation provided, is a good will gesture.

Missing ports can be very frustating, but when we cruise to more remote and/or less developed regions of the world, it is something we have learned to expect. Very few, if any, of this type of cruise we have taken, have completed the itinerary, as published. On our 2020 WC, we missed at least 20 ports and it was our best ever cruise, entirely due to our positive attitide. We also spent almost 50 days at seas, and life was so grand, they literally dragged us off the ship.

I noted you consider converting the lost port days into sea days as "Insulting", which I find very surprising. This voyage really only has 1 route and it must cruise along the Brazil Coast, with no other practical options. When a country closes all ports, if the Master has no other options available, how can steaming along the coast passed those closed port possibly be considered as insulting.

I agree with Kent, if your opinion of a situation outside the reasonable control of the cruise line is this negative, then requesting a refund is probably your best option.

Edited by Heidi13
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Based on the terms and conditions that you accepted when you paid the deposit, Viking do not owe any compensation due to Brazil closing all their ports to cruise ships. Any compensation provided, is a good will gesture.

Missing ports can be very frustating, but when we cruise to more remote and/or less developed regions of the world, it is something we have learned to expect. Very few, if any, of this type of cruise we have taken, have completed the itinerary, as published. On our 2020 WC, we missed at least 20 ports and it was our best ever cruise, entirely due to our positive attitide. We also spent almost 50 days at seas, and life was so grand, they literally dragged us off the ship.

I noted you consider converting the lost port days into sea days as "Insulting", which I find very surprising. This voyage really only has 1 route and it must cruise along the Brazil Coast, with no other practical options. When a country closes all ports, if the Master has no other options available, how can steaming along the coast passed those closed port possibly be considered as insulting.

I agree with Kent, if your opinion of a situation outside the reasonable control of the cruise line is this negative, then requesting a refund is probably your best option.

They "literally dragged (you) off the ship?"

I certainly agree that that the terms and conditions allow for such an itinerary change and appreciate the goodwill gesture.  However it should be also recognized that Viking's costs have been significantly reduced, reduced fuel use, no dockage fees, no excursion costs, et al.  The question does $1,000/pax represent a "fair" portion of those savings and allow for Viking to profit and prosper so we can go on future trips?  

20 minutes ago, eylarson said:

I certainly agree that that the terms and conditions allow for such an itinerary change and appreciate the goodwill gesture.  However it should be also recognized that Viking's costs have been significantly reduced, reduced fuel use, no dockage fees, no excursion costs, et al.  The question does $1,000/pax represent a "fair" portion of those savings and allow for Viking to profit and prosper so we can go on future trips?  

Given the passenger loads I am sort of amazed they can afford that.  Really desperate times to be a passenger ship owner.   A bit of bright news I hope.  Just read that the CDC mask "mandate" for cruise ships expires this coming week.  Ships will be allowed to determine their own (if any) masking policies.  Along with the pronouncement that the masks that most of us have been wearing are basically "facial decoration" (the news persons words not mine but I agree) hopefully sanity will slowly return for vaccinated adults.

11 hours ago, duquephart said:

They "literally dragged (you) off the ship?"

You bet, the final 8 of us were having such a brilliant time, none of us wanted to get off in Gibraltar. We were all hoping for Portsmouth.

1 hour ago, eylarson said:

When missing that many ports, the cost differential for the ship's operation, has a few more factors to consider.

- Port fees, pilots - is definitely a saving

- Fuel - fuel use is a complex subject and is based on the ship's initial speed. The ship is spending additional days at sea, so they will be running the propulsion equipment longer, so that will use additional fuel. With the revised itinerary, they can probably run at reduced speed, but since the initial speeds were already well below maximum, minimal savings are gained. The largest fuel savings are attained when you can reduce from full speed, with about 25% additional fuel required for the last approx 1.5 kts. The hotel load will also increase with more pax aboard for longer, which is an additional fuel use. Therefore, assuming the original itinerary required speeds of about 15 kts, or less, I project an increase in fuel costs that could easily off-set the docking fees.

- Shore-ex - the profit made from optional excursions will reduce the costs of the included excursions. Being an Expedition ship, with multiple included shore-ex, they should have a net saving.

- Food costs - with reduced shore-leave for pax (and crew, if they are permitted ashore) more meals will be eaten on board, with associated additional beer/wine consumption

- Stores costs - Viking have a supply chain that minimises costs. With the change in ports, some stores may already have been purchased in Brazil and the shipping of the stores containers to Brazil must be cancelled and re-scheduled and re-booked, at fairly short notice.

- Bunker costs - Viking will have purchased bunkers in advance based on the cheapest prices, purchasing in the reduced ports and at short notice will most likely increase bunker costs.

- Crew relief - Viking crews know well in advance the date and port of embarkation/disembarkation, with flights no doubt booked. The itinerary schedule requires a number of flight changes for crew joining/leaving the ship

- Guest entertainers - are booked in advance. With the changed itinerary new dates may not work for some, which may require cancellation fees and at a minimum re-scheduled flights.

No doubt a number of other factors will also impact the overall voyage costs, but in summary, I would not expect any signficant savings from missing all Brazilian ports. Probably has a better than even chance of the overall costs being increased.

• Like 2