Curious if Canada stays closed can NCL do a Seward RT like Seattle was done last year

cruisingrandy

I am just curious and think this would appeal to me.  If Canada stays closed is it possible for NCL to do Seward Round trip cruises like they did Seattle last fall.  Other lines Could also do Whittier or is there a reason this is not possible.  Did congress allow not stopping at foreign port only last fall or is it for a longer time.

Last year it required a temporary suspension of a portion of the PVSA to allow it.  That suspension has expired and would need to be renewed by an act of Congress to again permit Alaska cruises which do not stop at a port outside of the USA.

https://gcaptain.com/legislation-permanently-exempt-alaska-cruises-passenger-vessel-services-act/

13 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

I have a Jewel cruise scheduled and have been wondering the same thing.  Final payment date is in one month--at the moment I do think I will make it.

I have a Jewel cruise May 23 that's why I posted this. I have already made final payment as it is due Jan 21

Edited by cruisingrandy

44 minutes ago, GStuart said:

Canada's port closure to cruise ships ended in November. I've not heard any plans so far to reinstate the closure.

image.thumb.png.16b1efc2ca72cfdd78e6ae1fdd7e88f0.png

I dont know about port closures but all the Skagway tours to yukon are on hold because of border crossing problems

Also hoping Canada allows cruise ships to dock, embark, disembark as I too have a Seward to Vancouver trip booked on the Jewel, July 4.  And like others, wondering if NCL would change these 7 day one way to a round trip or add more days. 8 or 9 day Seward to Seattle would be nice! No doubt wishful thinking. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kdmbluerzr said:

Also hoping Canada allows cruise ships to dock, embark, disembark as I too have a Seward to Vancouver trip booked on the Jewel, July 4.  And like others, wondering if NCL would change these 7 day one way to a round trip or add more days. 8 or 9 day Seward to Seattle would be nice! No doubt wishful thinking. 

We're wondering about all of this, too...! 🙂 

We've got a B2B booked on the Jewel (Vancouver/Seward/Vancouver) for September...so we're wondering what will happen with border crossing from the US to embark in Vancouver...and then returning from Vancouver to the US after we disembark.  Luckily, our final payment isn't due for a few months...but we're starting to keep an eye on the Canada situation, too.

• Like 1

Not sure how the cruise lines will handle the PCR test that is required within 72 hours of visiting Victoria BC, or if the ship sails from Vancouver a test would be needed to enter Canada before sailing unless you live here. Then another PCR test within 72 hours of returning to Vancouver. Hopefully the rules change or it does not look like any fun. 

7 hours ago, cruisingrandy said:

If Canada stays closed is it possible for NCL to do Seward Round trip cruises like they did Seattle last fall. 

First, Canada is currently not closed, so "staying closed" is not an issue. 

I would seriously doubt that there would be a market for a Seward R/T (they have not done it so far, so I would not expect it in the future)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

First, Canada is currently not closed, so "staying closed" is not an issue. 

I would seriously doubt that there would be a market for a Seward R/T (they have not done it so far, so I would not expect it in the future)

When we were on a Vancouver to Seward 7 day NCL cruise several years ago, we were among the very few who took it as a one-way.  Almost everyone onboard booked it as a B2B, mostly Van to Van, but some booked Seward to Seward.  True, not actually a "round trip" as offered by NCL, but still the overall impact was about the same.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 11:05 AM, cruisingrandy said:

I am just curious and think this would appeal to me.  If Canada stays closed is it possible for NCL to do Seward Round trip cruises like they did Seattle last fall.  Other lines Could also do Whittier or is there a reason this is not possible.  Did congress allow not stopping at foreign port only last fall or is it for a longer time.

Without another exemption by Congress it can't happen. The law was for last year only. Who knows what the congress will do now, if you think cruise lines are dysfunctional just look to DC.

7 hours ago, zqvol said:

Without another exemption by Congress it can't happen. The law was for last year only. Who knows what the congress will do now, if you think cruise lines are dysfunctional just look to DC.

If another exemption is needed it would most likely pass easily.  Bills like that don't tie them up in knots like other items.

• Like 1