Spotting Scope on Alaskan Cruise

STREETKING

Has anybody taken there spotting scope on their Alaskan cruise or on any cruise for that matter, if so was it worth hauling it with you? For those that are familiar with spotting scopes do you have any recommendations?

Thanks,

Brad

I like those new monoculars with the adapter to connect to your smartphone. Saves room of bringing a separate camera.

Had always brought a monocular on a cruise. Recently bought high-end binoculars used. Great optics for a sweet price! Point is, encourage you to bring something. The optics sold on the ship are overpriced, but you already knew that, right? At sea, the ship might be rocking, only time you're sure to use a tripod is in the fjords, or land.

Edited by mtnesterz

Data Point:  Ruby Princess sells spotting scopes onboard.  

The vast majority of daylight hours within sight of land, for Alaska sailings, are in fairly protected waters and/or sailed at very low speed.  I wouldn’t worry a lot about motion. 

I have a spotting scope I am planning to take on our first Alaskan Cruise this September.  I always bring small binoculars (easy to pack and haul around the ship) on all our cruises, and use them often, but it is true, if the ship has any swaying to it, it is hard to focus on the target.  For Alaska I am bringing the big binoculars and the spotting scope.  I have a mini tripod I will bring, but not sure where exactly I could set that up and use it effectively.  It is only about 6 inches high so need a stable platform at or above the deck rail level.  In the end, it may not work at all because the magnification is significantly stronger than Binos.  The motion will probably de-rail me, but I am still going to bring it and try.  Might work best when at anchor dockside.

Don

I just sit my binoculars on the rail and bend down. FAR more to the point is to LOOK! Too many people swear the were in Alaska and hardly saw anything. I have passed through 7 times and always saw a LOT. Because I looked! Do not wait for others to point things out, look! Once you see wildlife, find a prop for the binocs and enjoy!

• Like 1

We did a wildlife tour in Haines on our last Alaskan cruise.  The tour guide had 2 (or 3?) spotting scopes with tripods that we were able to use.  We got some AMAZING "full screen image" shots of bald eagles that were at least 100 yards away.  Would I have taken something like that? No way...it would have been a real pain to have to lug them around...but I'm sure glad they were available to use!

I bought a pair of image stabilization binoculars for my first Alaskan cruise in 2008 and still use them today as they are my favorite all round binoculars. 

I also own spotting scopes for terrestrial and astronomy viewing.  Spotting scopes are great but IMO a little bit two large when moving around the ship where binoculars are more compact and with image stabilization the ship's movement is dampened and gives a clear view of the target you are looking at.   

Spotting scopes and image stabilization binoculars can be pricey but if I had to go with just one for a cruise or all round use I would choose the image stabilization binoculars.  

Enjoy your cruise,
Rick 

54 minutes ago, symui said:

I bought a pair of image stabilization binoculars for my first Alaskan cruise in 2008 and still use them today as they are my favorite all round binoculars. 

I also own spotting scopes for terrestrial and astronomy viewing.  Spotting scopes are great but IMO a little bit two large when moving around the ship where binoculars are more compact and with image stabilization the ship's movement is dampened and gives a clear view of the target you are looking at.   

Spotting scopes and image stabilization binoculars can be pricey but if I had to go with just one for a cruise or all round use I would choose the image stabilization binoculars.  

Enjoy your cruise,
Rick 

Sorry, accidentally hit the quote button above. 

I've taken my spotting scope to AK a few times.  You will at least want a mono-pod higher than the rail, a tri-pod would be better.  Mine is a fiberglass FMC 15-45, 80mm objective.  So not as heavy as a metal tube.   Especially useful in Glacier National Park and fjords where it is usually very flat.  You can also get a camera/cell phone adapter.

I understand binoculars would be more practical on a cruise, unfortunately I don't think I can afford both. We also RV and visit the National Parks frequently,  the spotting scopes seem to do a better job of seeing animals in the distance. It also provides us to take pictures through the scope with an adapter. I'm not sure what the binoculars with stabilization cost but if any.one has any recommendations I'll take a look.

Thanks for the replies,

Brad