Live From Koningsdam Quarantine

Riversedge

21 hours ago, Riversedge said:

They asked me if I needed anything.  There were no suggestions as to how to treat myself.  They asked me when they first put me in and 3 days later.  I think if there was something I needed I could have asked.  I had ibuprofen and cough drops with me.  

Hope you are feeling ok and have a good trip home, we found your posts very interesting and have served as a good source of information.

Hopefully you will keep on cruising but with much better experiences on any future trips.  J

D

23 hours ago, Riversedge said:

"So ask yourself:

Could I manage the stress of getting sick on a ship where you would have no access to a ventilator or advanced care?  Would you put your spouse in that position? You might not get very sick but we don’t get to choose that part. 
Can you handle days on end where the only people you talk to are the dining room crew that takes your meal order?  And a traveling companion if you are lucky enough to not be traveling alone.  And remember, they are not having fun either.  
Can you handle living in a room where the toilet is disgustingly dirty, the trash is overflowing, the food is lukewarm and the tv channels are limited to political stations? Where food is served heaped in paper boxes, drinks are out of paper cups and you’re expected to eat off from wooden utensils? For days on end. 
Are you able to handle the exhaustion and the worry that maybe you will get worse, not better, and don’t have the comforts of home such as your own bed, hot drinks and your own choice of comfort food?  
What about the stress of flying back home across the country or the possibility of getting off and quarantining in a hotel?  
I have formed a friendship with the 4 cabins to the left of me.   We have supported each other as well as we can when it’s hard to hear each other across a long outdoor space.  Every one of us has said if we had known this was going to happen to us we would never have boarded this ship.  And everyone of us has said an overwhelming NO to cruising again any time in the near future.  I would have to drag my husband on another ship kicking and screaming at this point.  I am still exhausted and although I am looking forward to getting out I know I will tire easily. And I’m the person who was climbing mountains before this cruise.  
I hope I have helped you with quarantine decisions to make.  Maybe some day I will reconnect with the friends I had made on other cruises and get to meet those of you who have helped me through this time.  It won’t be right away because this is not for me for awhile." 

Hello Linda, I hope you are beginning to decompress from your ordeal, and enjoying the remaining few days of your cruise. Like others, I have benefitted a lot from your candid observations, especially your final summation of what life was like in quarantine. 

Unlike others (not in this topic or forum) who have posted in what I believe is a Pollyana-ish way about how wonderful cruising is now, you, having lived the negative, have told it like it is. And I thank you for that dose of reality.  You captured my concerns very well, re the "what if?". Worrying about testing before and during what is supposed to be a relaxing holiday is in itself no fun. If one is eventually deemed positive, then, in addition to that nagging doubt, now it all comes to fruition. And the consequences for 11 days are, in my opinion based on your description, and those of others in quarantine, pretty dismal.

At least hot food should be served for those in quarantine. I don't get the paper plates as the staff have to pick those up (using gloves) just as they would if ordinary dishes and cutlery were used. The dishwasher temperature kills bacteria. If need be, the cruise lines could designate a dedicated dishwasher for the quarantine cabins, and run it at even a higher temperature if need be. 

Anyway, you have well crystallized in your evocative description why my wife and I will not be cruising now. We have a cruise booked (on another line) in November and we hope by then that quarantines are a thing of the past, other than the 2 or so days of self-confinement if one gets noro (the good old days!). 

The other thing I am watching is liquidity of the cruise lines and their parent companies, given the situation with Crystal.  Our cruise in November is with a subsidiary of a highly leveraged cruise line parent...and if one domino falls (Crystal), lenders typically get nervous and apply greater scrutiny. Good insurance would seem to be a must right now, especially covid and trip interruption coverage. 

Linda, I wish you smooth seas for your last days and an easy trip home. Be well, and thanks again.  

ON Cruiser

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ON cruiser said:

Unlike others (not in this topic or forum) who have posted in what I believe is a Pollyana-ish way about how wonderful cruising is now, you, having lived the negative, have told it like it is. And I thank you for that dose of reality. 

I think the difference in viewpoints of how wonderful, or not, cruising is now depends on your personal outcome. Just like how wonderful it is, or is not, to be a gazelle depends on whether or not you were chosen to be brought down as a lions lunch. Both sides tell it like it is, from their point of view.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I think the difference in viewpoints of how wonderful, or not, cruising is now depends on your personal outcome. Just like how wonderful it is, or is not, to be a gazelle depends on whether or not you were chosen to be brought down as a lions lunch. Both sides tell it like it is, from their point of view.

Exactly. DH and I had an amazing cruise on Celebrity Reflection in January - because we were lucky enough to escape COVID jail. We were too far above the quarantine level to hear what the unfortunate quarantine deck folks were saying on their verandas, but they did not look happy, and very clearly their experience was completely different from ours. We loved our cruise, and they likely hated theirs, with good reason. The honest reporting by the OP highlights the fact that dumb luck plays a central role in what kind of experience you end up with right now.

This has been a great thread - immensely useful to me personally. Thank you, Linda.

• Like 4

So after following this thread and being about to leave in a couple of hours for Koningsdam cruise......my roommate tested positive and is in quarantine.....so I guess the choice is out of my hands.  It has been VERY stressful just trying to cancel my air reservation....being a weeekend almost impossible to get ahold of anyone.  Finally managed to get the air cancelled but I have to wait until monday to talk to my TA about options for the cruise itself.

• Thanks 6

27 minutes ago, Kween Karen said:

So after following this thread and being about to leave in a couple of hours for Koningsdam cruise......my roommate tested positive and is in quarantine.....so I guess the choice is out of my hands.  It has been VERY stressful just trying to cancel my air reservation....being a weeekend almost impossible to get ahold of anyone.  Finally managed to get the air cancelled but I have to wait until monday to talk to my TA about options for the cruise itself.

Hi, I am just curious. Would you still be able to go on the cruise if you wanted to or are you not allowed because your roommate tested positive?

28 minutes ago, Kween Karen said:

I’m so sorry!! We are living in trying times. We are sailing 4 weeks from today on the Zuiderdam. I suggested to DH that we start limiting our exposure. The biggest worry is the flight to San Diego!

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Kween Karen said:

Karen - it seems that you would qualify under HAL's Covid-19 Protection Program (hollandamerica.com) to get 100% FCC for anything not refundable (for instance, they should refund the taxes, excursions, dining, etc. - anything you prepaid).

I know it's really soon to even think about it but hope you both can still join us on the HI/SoPac cruise on Feb. 27th.  🤞

Barb

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dchip said:

I’m so sorry!! We are living in trying times. We are sailing 4 weeks from today on the Zuiderdam. I suggested to DH that we start limiting our exposure. The biggest worry is the flight to San Diego!

D - they're both booked on our HI/SoPac cruise.  Sure hope for their sakes that they can still do that one.  B

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, dmcfad2 said:

Hi, I am just curious. Would you still be able to go on the cruise if you wanted to or are you not allowed because your roommate tested positive?

I do not know the specifics because I can't talk to anyone about specifics until I can get ahold of my travel agent....since I booked through an agent HAL will not disclose details to me.  I am guessing I could go alone if I wanted to but would have to pay the single supplement......not only does it not sound like fun to go alone but it is out of my budget for sure.

• Thanks 3

Kween--some travel insurances cover the single supplement if your travel partner/roommate has to cancel.  See if your travel insurance does.  Read your policy today to see if it is covered.

Also re insurance, I'd say be sure one provision of our travel insurance we buy needs to be that it covers bankruptcy of the company that we will be cruising on.  I know the ones I usually buy do.  And if you have HAL insurance, if HAL goes into BK, are you still covered by HAL insurance--be sure to check that aspect out before depending entirely on HAL's insurance policy.  I'm just saying. . .

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 12:44 PM, Riversedge said:

They were supposed to let us know how to deal with trash but they never did.  We put out our meal cardboard boxes and empty cans on the tables outside our door.  A garbage bag would have been nice for Kleenex and extra things we might want to throw away.   I didn’t ask for a toilet brush but I doubt it would be delivered.  They don’t want anything here that the next person might touch.  

Thank you for sharing your experience!  I’ve been following yours as well as others who have shared theirs and everyone does seem to handle it differently.  Hopefully, we’ll never have to find out!

The one thing I think everyone should take away from your Postings is to ask for what one wants and if one doesn’t know to find out either by calling Guest Services or Food Service. Maybe the Trash Bags and toilet brush would have been supplied had you asked.  Also, if traveling partner is not quarantined but can send in items, have he/she pick up the items wanted if the Ship doesn’t give them. I thought the Posters suggestion of a Mug to transfer coffee/tea was a great one.  I hate my Tea out of a paper cup so will remember that suggestion.   Also, to keep some silverware from Lido and a couple of glasses handy to grab if given the orders to pack!      

Food in To Go’s are never as appealing and are tougher to keep the food hot (think Doordash Delivery). Unfortunately, this is also what Hospitals are doing for Patients even for non-Covid Patients as a precaution.  

Again, thank you for sharing your experience.  I think it was very helpful for anyone who reads it and ends up in Quarantine.  Hope your Son and Grandkids have fully recovered!  

Wishing you the best and safe travels home!  

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 4:06 PM, VacationCharlene said:

So funny as I just read this post.  I bought this stuff at Walmart 6 months or so ago and plan on taking on our next cruise.  ALL from Walmart.  Waterproof yellow wet bag.  Gold looking silverwear so we dont forget it in the Lido and plastic cups.  Maybe $15-20 worth.  Taking it for sure now  🙂  It might help or come in handy

Silverwear.JPG

Based on past experience, I would not recommend bringing a knife of any type in your luggage.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2022 at 7:36 PM, anaco_angler said:

Based on past experience, I would not recommend bringing a knife of any type in your luggage.

That is good advice as the security people will take it for safekeeping until the end of the cruise instead just "liberate" a couple of settings from the LIDO for use if needed and keep your fingers crossed you don't need them. J

A

• Like 1

Thank you Riversedge.  I so appreciate all your day by day reports.

We board the Koningsdam on Wednesday.  I have mixed emotions right now but I feel 

so much better knowing what I might have to endure.

Safe travels home.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 2 old to drive said:

That is good advice as the security people will take it for safekeeping until the end of the cruise instead just "liberate" a couple of settings from the LIDO for use if needed and keep your fingers crossed you don't need them. J

A

A few years ago I had packed a small paring knife in my checked luggage for cutting fruit. When my bag didn't show up after the ship departed, I was directed to the "naughty room." There was my bag with the offending knife removed, confiscated, and returned to me as we left the ship on debarkation. I don't know if a table knife would get the same response but it's not worth the trouble. As suggested a set from the Lido would work just fine.

I’m out and about in which seems like a crowded ship.  I can’t imagine what it is like when this ship is actually full.  My exit from quarantine was sure different than the rude way I was treated as they were taking me to my cabin.   Everyone was all smiles and helped me with my luggage. I got no help on the way in.  No hazmat suits this time, no spraying around me as I exited.   I was out at 9:00 a.m. so I had the whole day to enjoy.  Lots of hugs from crew that I had gotten to know before quarantine.  We had dinner with my quarantine neighbor and her husband.  Interesting to compare stories and a few laughs.  

Out of curiosity I tested myself with one of the tests we brought aboard.  It was negative.  I really believe they should be testing at 5 and/or 7 days and if a negative response comes back people should be allowed to enjoy their cruise.  I’m feeling much better.  

I stopped at the future cruise desk to ask a question about having a deposit refunded.  He said I looked a little frustrated so I said I wasn’t happy with HAL’s worry free promise.  He said “You’re the one!”  He said guest services called him to ask about the promise.  He thot it was only if you were denied boarding, guest services didn’t know about it at all.  Their own employees are clueless?  He said there was a bit of a shake up at headquarters and now they have changed some things.  For better or worse  who knows,  but I must have made some waves.  The cruise consultant here told me to pursue it.  He was shocked to find out what quarantine is like.   There needs to be some education both to public and employees.

We are headed to San Diego tomorrow to spend one night.  Of course there’s a big winter storm where we are headed.  It’s one adventure after another!  Thanks for coming along on this part of my adventure and I wish you happy traveling.  Your good wishes have made a huge difference.

Linda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 12

4 hours ago, Riversedge said:

I’m out and about in which seems like a crowded ship.  I can’t imagine what it is like when this ship is actually full.  My exit from quarantine was sure different than the rude way I was treated as they were taking me to my cabin.   Everyone was all smiles and helped me with my luggage. I got no help on the way in.  No hazmat suits this time, no spraying around me as I exited.   I was out at 9:00 a.m. so I had the whole day to enjoy.  Lots of hugs from crew that I had gotten to know before quarantine.  We had dinner with my quarantine neighbor and her husband.  Interesting to compare stories and a few laughs.  

Out of curiosity I tested myself with one of the tests we brought aboard.  It was negative.  I really believe they should be testing at 5 and/or 7 days and if a negative response comes back people should be allowed to enjoy their cruise.  I’m feeling much better.  

I stopped at the future cruise desk to ask a question about having a deposit refunded.  He said I looked a little frustrated so I said I wasn’t happy with HAL’s worry free promise.  He said “You’re the one!”  He said guest services called him to ask about the promise.  He thot it was only if you were denied boarding, guest services didn’t know about it at all.  Their own employees are clueless?  He said there was a bit of a shake up at headquarters and now they have changed some things.  For better or worse  who knows,  but I must have made some waves.  The cruise consultant here told me to pursue it.  He was shocked to find out what quarantine is like.   There needs to be some education both to public and employees.

We are headed to San Diego tomorrow to spend one night.  Of course there’s a big winter storm where we are headed.  It’s one adventure after another!  Thanks for coming along on this part of my adventure and I wish you happy traveling.  Your good wishes have made a huge difference.

Linda

So glad your free and sure that you will "enjoy" the snow.  Keep well please. J

5 hours ago, Riversedge said:

Linda

SO glad you are out and feeling well.

And on behalf of any others who will "follow in your footsteps", many thanks for, um, rocking the boat and making waves (ooooh - sorry!) to get some of the powers that be to take another look at how they are handling this.

(I do find it difficult to comprehend that some of this couldn't have been anticipated better.  We had some vacation rental properties for a few years, and either we planned ahead for assorted snafus, or we really tried to figure something HELPFUL out asap... and we tried to overcompensate for any inconvenience our guest encountered.  Some of it was really rather predictable if one just tried to think about it.  And "what to do on the run"... it just doesn't sound like there was much effort put into some of that by HAL, and that's really unfortunate.  They are IN the "hospitality business", after all!  </rant>)

The most important thing, after all, is that you are both WELL.  Thank goodness for that!

Again, thank you!

GC

• Like 3

Linda, if I had a red carpet I’d roll it out for you as you disembark in San Diego. Thank you for your insights, information and wonderful service to all of us as we hopefully prepare to cruise in the future. May God bless you as you travel home!  Laurie

• Like 1

Thank you so much for postings and honesty. We cancelled our March cruise on the Konigsdam and rebooked for November. We’ll see what 10 months brings. I was ready to give it a try, but DH was worried we would be stopped from re-entering the country.  I now have a better view of what it all entails. No, we are sadly NOT back to “normal.” But sure do miss the ocean. Best of luck on your return home.

@Riversedge, We are sailing the K'dam the first week of April in cabin 5124, which seems to be in the same block as your 5157, but on the other side of the ship. I haven't received word of a cabin change. Do you know if the rooms on the other hall were also used for quarantine?

As others have stated, we are all so sorry for everyone who has to quarantine, and we greatly appreciate you sharing your experiences to help us make informed decisions. I hope you had an uneventful journey home and avoided the storms!

On 1/25/2022 at 1:12 PM, Nickelpenny said:

It does. That is why I was amazed the pre-cruise testing could be an antigen (not the best) OR a PCR. I purposefully did a PCR pre-cruise just for that reason. 

I am amazed that HAL is doing PCR tests on board after all pax passing a rapid test.  A PCR test looks for little bits of dead broken virus as well as the virus itself.  A positive only means you have the virus or you had it a few weeks or so ago (no one knows for sure).  If you contract the virus on the plane and you test negative at the doc and then test positive on board, another rapid antigen test via throat swab needs to be done after a set time.  At this point, for the infected, a PCR tells nothing. For the uninfected, a throat swab antigen test is the ticket .  You now can see why our OLY athletes are getting 2 ea PCRs before flying to China and then PCRs when in China.  THAT is diagnostic of covid contraction .  Nickelpenny is correct. A PCR before the trip isnt a bad idea. Neither is wearing a $10 3M N100 mask on the plane and not eating or drinking ANYTHING on the plane or pulling down your N100 mask for anything. Chris the aircraft mechanic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Coyote Chris said:

Neither is wearing a $10 3M N100 mask on the plane and not eating or drinking ANYTHING on the plane or pulling down your N100 mask for anything.

EXACTLY. I talked to DH about this yesterday. Our masks aren’t coming off our nose and mouth until we get in our hotel room. Luckily we have a short flight but there is still time in the airports on both ends. 

• Like 4