Live From Koningsdam Quarantine

Riversedge

On 1/27/2022 at 12:28 PM, Riversedge said:

The whole ship was tested and 2 and 3 days out.  I was given a second (pcr) test the same day but no more tests were given. We will not be tested to get out.  I think if the whole ship had been done on the 3rd day many more cases would have been discovered.  I doubt I would have tested positive on the second day of sailing.  I probably would have just figured it to be sinus issues which I have all the time. 

Is this common for all cruises?  Testing once a couple of days after boarding and then not again for the rest of the cruise?

Thank you so much for your reports.  Your attitude and sense of humor are wonderful.  

I'm going to be on the Koningsdam in 50 days.....but who's counting.  😄

I am not the OP but from what I have been reading,  ( and others please correct me if I have misunderstood) Hawaii requires testing at the pier and two to three days before arrival in Hawaii; Panama requires testing 2 days prior to the transit of the Canal (if their number not met; ships denied transit - don't know if any have); and B2B cruises require testing prior to the turnaround day.

I know last summer, Alaska cruises did not do testing and I don't think Mexico cruises have done testing.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, whoopie said:

Could you have wine or cocktails sent to the isolation room? I am sure I would imbibe more than otherwise if I were in isolation!

You can have anything from the bar sent to your room.  I have the beverage package so mine is included.  I can order multiple drinks at once if I wanted to to save them trips.  Normally you can only order one drink at the bar at a time with the beverage package.  I am guessing they would charge for drinks if you didn’t have a package.  Cocktails might not so be so appealing.  Everything except bottles of beer comes in a paper cup.  I would love a margarita but the thought of salt on the rim of a paper cup does not do it for me!  

The  main dining room has filet and lobster tails on the menu tonight. Appropriate for my last night of confinement!  I’m going to request a steak knife.  We will see if that happens!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Riversedge said:

You can have anything from the bar sent to your room.  I have the beverage package so mine is included.  I can order multiple drinks at once if I wanted to to save them trips.  Normally you can only order one drink at the bar at a time with the beverage package.  I am guessing they would charge for drinks if you didn’t have a package.  Cocktails might not so be so appealing.  Everything except bottles of beer comes in a paper cup.  I would love a margarita but the thought of salt on the rim of a paper cup does not do it for me!  

The  main dining room has filet and lobster tails on the menu tonight. Appropriate for my last night of confinement!  I’m going to request a steak knife.  We will see if that happens!

So basically we have to keep a wine glass hidden if we end up getting moved to quarantine.  I can’t stand wine or most things in a paper cup.  (my list gets longer!)

Yum about dinner tonight.  I sure hope they bring it hot.  Good luck with steak knife or tell them if not they can cut it up for you!  Lol. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

So basically we have to keep a wine glass hidden if we end up getting moved to quarantine.  I can’t stand wine or most things in a paper cup.  (my list gets longer!)

Yum about dinner tonight.  I sure hope they bring it hot.  Good luck with steak knife or tell them if not they can cut it up for you!  Lol. 

Since your husband can send things to your room... could he buy you a glass or a mug in the gift shop and send that to your room?

• Like 2

Just now, sandy1754 said:

This is off the topic but we will be on the Feb. 2 sailing wondering when the Gala nights are ? We are trying to make specialty reservations.

Check your Navigator app the gala nights should now be listed for your cruise under plan / itinerary 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandy1754 said:

This is off the topic but we will be on the Feb. 2 sailing wondering when the Gala nights are ? We are trying to make specialty reservations.

You should be able to see the Gala nights on the Navigator App.  I can see it for our Feb 2 cruise on the NS

38 minutes ago, kayakmom said:

Since your husband can send things to your room... could he buy you a glass or a mug in the gift shop and send that to your room?

I think you meant this for the OP.  Mr Bear & I are still at home, lol.  

Edited by canadianbear
  • Like 1

Check out the experience of @NMCruiser123 who was in isolation on the Zuiderdam recently!!  See posts #302 and #312 specifically about his wine and drinks!  It sounds like if you ask (enough times?) you shall receive....... as it should be!!!  I think that with all the valuable feedback the current folks are giving the ships that the process will be better/smoother for those testing positive.  Here's hoping we have less and less folks needing this soon!!!

image.thumb.jpg.15b64d6f9f9dbe37cb141997c7d70441.jpg

Edited by oakridger

49 minutes ago, kayakmom said:

He definitely could.  They mistakenly brought me a real wineglass at the beginning or I would have had him get me one somehow.

Today guest services sent a bottle of red wine and a plate of cheese and crackers.  I don’t drink red wine so I told them they could give it to someone else.  It seems like the farther we are towards the end the more special touches there are.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Riversedge said:

He definitely could.  They mistakenly brought me a real wineglass at the beginning or I would have had him get me one somehow.

Today guest services sent a bottle of red wine and a plate of cheese and crackers.  I don’t drink red wine so I told them they could give it to someone else.  It seems like the farther we are towards the end the more special touches there are.  

They just heard that red wine can thwart Covid.

• Haha 11

1 hour ago, Riversedge said:

As I’m beginning to pack up I reread the letter they gave us the day after they locked us in our room.  Apparently we were not supposed to be eating on our verandah.  oops.  Not that I would have followed that rule anyways.  

Yeah no that is definitely not something I would abide by. Lol. Plate, silverware, a wine glass and verandah for dining and whiling away the hours including dinner would be the bare minimum requirements if they are going to stick to their guns on 10 days and not retest at 5 days vaccinated and boostered passengers. I would probably be using a spare pillowcase as a dining tablecloth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some thoughts on my last night.  I’ve tried to be positive and upbeat but let me leave you with some realities.  This is not fun, not a relaxing 10 and a half days of leisure.  Many of you will say you are going to cruise because, well heck, you could get this from the grocery store, post office, etc.  

So ask yourself:

Could I manage the stress of getting sick on a ship where you would have no access to a ventilator or advanced care?  Would you put your spouse in that position? You might not get very sick but we don’t get to choose that part. 

Can you handle days on end where the only people you talk to are the dining room crew that takes your meal order?  And a traveling companion if you are lucky enough to not be traveling alone.  And remember, they are not having fun either.  

Can you handle living in a room where the toilet is disgustingly dirty, the trash is overflowing, the food is lukewarm and the tv channels are limited to political stations? Where food is served heaped in paper boxes, drinks are out of paper cups and you’re expected to eat off from wooden utensils? For days on end. 

Are you able to handle the exhaustion and the worry that maybe you will get worse, not better, and don’t have the comforts of home such as your own bed, hot drinks and your own choice of comfort food?  

What about the stress of flying back home across the country or the possibility of getting off and quarantining in a hotel?  

I have formed a friendship with the 4 cabins to the left of me.   We have supported each other as well as we can when it’s hard to hear each other across a long outdoor space.  Every one of us has said if we had known this was going to happen to us we would never have boarded this ship.  And everyone of us has said an overwhelming NO to cruising again any time in the near future.  I would have to drag my husband on another ship kicking and screaming at this point.  I am still exhausted and although I am looking forward to getting out I know I will tire easily. And I’m the person who was climbing mountains before this cruise.  

I hope I have helped you with quarantine decisions to make.  Maybe some day I will reconnect with the friends I had made on other cruises and get to meet those of you who have helped me through this time.  It won’t be right away because this is not for me for awhile.  

I think that Koningsdam’s  guest services has tried.  I commend them for the special touches.  The decision to cruise is yours alone to make.  Choose wisely what is best for you and happy sailing if you decide to do so.   And thanks for making my days more bearable 
Linda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 23

Your summary of your quarantine is wise, sage and provides insight for all @Riversedge. Following your journey, has helped so many more than you know. Additionally, we all hope your journey has helped HAL understand their deficiencies and their path to improvement as they forage through the onboard reality of dealing with crew and guest covid......from all your friends @Riversedgethank you.....

Edited by boze9999
gramar
  • Like 6

Feeling your pain Linda....  along with your tiredness, resilience, frustration, angst, hope, and overall done-ness with your entire situation.  Again....  your thread was very enlightening and informative.  God speed to you and your DH!

• Like 6

Thank you so much for your complete honesty. My husband and I are very happy that we tested positive and could not cruise. I am so sorry that this happened to you (and to many others). I know many say quarantine is worth the risk, but we aren't those people. Enjoy your freedom and hopefully you can convince HAL to give you FCC for your husband as well. You both deserve it. 

• Like 1

I am another that thanks you immensely for your honesty.  Being isolated is something I can not imagine in a cabin on a ship.  Being claustrophobic I doubt I would last that long without going crazy knowing I was “locked in”.  

Take care and enjoy your freedom supper tomorrow with your husband.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Riversedge said:

Could I manage the stress of getting sick on a ship where you would have no access to a ventilator or advanced care?  Would you put your spouse in that position? You might not get very sick but we don’t get to choose that part. 

Were you able to get medication from the ship medical center, like Tylenol or cough syrup or cold pills or any prescription medicines? Or do they just stick you in quarantine without anything to treat your symptoms?