Live From Koningsdam Quarantine

Riversedge

24 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

Have you asked for a hairdryer?  If we end up in quarantine during our B2B2B2B my wife would need one.

I have not asked.  My neighbor 2 doors down is going to ask today and let me know.  They seem to be giving us real silverware now.  Maybe they think we are past spreading it.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Information HEADS UP!  

I asked front desk this question 3 days ago and am still waiting for an answer so I emailed my HAL PCC.  She is awesome and got back to me very quickly.  This is something everyone who is cruising needs to know so you can make your decision in advance.  

You will have to make a split second choice in whether you want to quarantine with your spouse if they didn’t test positive.  Literally a 10 second decision.  At the time I asked if there was any difference monetarily and was told no.  However, now I find out that if he would have quarantined with me we would have BOTH gotten FCC.  We could have replaced this cruise with another “Free” one later.  We still would have had to make a decision whether to move in together and chance one of us not throwing the other to the fishes.  However, one needs all the info up front to make a decision.  We don’t have an unlimited travel budget.  My PCC is contacting guest service on my behalf.  I will keep you updated.  I can’t argue that he’s not getting a cruise experience, although certainly altered.  What I can argue is lack of information for us to base our decision on.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 11

23 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

Wow that sucks. I would definitely pursue it, because there is most certainly a difference monetarily! Best of luck getting it cleared up. 

Totally agree.  HAL needs to inform people of time regarding options & choices.   It can certainly make a difference.  And a split second isn’t fair either.  If HAL can’t get their act together better l than this we certainly won’t be going on our South Pacific cruise.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

I guess my point is that we as cruisers should probably take a PCR test a week or so before we sail (not the Antigen test) just to make sure we don't show a positive reading from a covid infection we didn't even know we had....does this make sense?   

A negative PCR test even 48hrs before the pre-boarding test does not guarantee a negative PCR test at the dock....

Edited by PSR
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, PSR said:

A negative PCR test even 48hrs before the pre-boarding test does not guarantee a negative PCR test at the dock....

I thought an antigen test was conducted at embarkation and a PCR was used to confirm a positive antigen tests. Was HAL giving a PCR at embarkation?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cruizer Diana said:

I thought an antigen test was conducted at embarkation and a PCR was used to confirm a positive antigen tests. Was HAL giving a PCR at embarkation?

I overheard we were given a PCR test at embarkation. We did not get a chance for a 2nd test. 

Edited by PSR

3 hours ago, Riversedge said:

Information HEADS UP!  

I asked front desk this question 3 days ago and am still waiting for an answer so I emailed my HAL PCC.  She is awesome and got back to me very quickly.  This is something everyone who is cruising needs to know so you can make your decision in advance.  

You will have to make a split second choice in whether you want to quarantine with your spouse if they didn’t test positive.  Literally a 10 second decision.  At the time I asked if there was any difference monetarily and was told no.  However, now I find out that if he would have quarantined with me we would have BOTH gotten FCC.  We could have replaced this cruise with another “Free” one later.  We still would have had to make a decision whether to move in together and chance one of us not throwing the other to the fishes.  However, one needs all the info up front to make a decision.  We don’t have an unlimited travel budget.  My PCC is contacting guest service on my behalf.  I will keep you updated.  I can’t argue that he’s not getting a cruise experience, although certainly altered.  What I can argue is lack of information for us to base our decision on.  

I wonder if they are going to hit you with a "single supplement"    e.g.   Since your spouse if now solo will he pay a surcharge so you get back only a fraction?  Will you get 50% FCC?

3 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I wonder if they are going to hit you with a "single supplement"    e.g.   Since your spouse if now solo will he pay a surcharge so you get back only a fraction?  Will you get 50% FCC?

No, no single supplement.  They are refunding 10 days worth of what I spent.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PSR said:

I overheard we were given a PCR test at embarkation. We did not get a chance for a 2nd test. 

I need to update this. My husband and I were both emailed today an official updated report from the company that administered the tests on boarding day for the 1/16 Hawaii  cruise. It was an antigen test, but I was not offered a PCR to confirm as was mentioned in a post above. I supposedly tested POSITIVE and we were denied boarding. The report sent today said I tested NEGATIVE on 1/16. I should have been allowed to board. This is a HUGE mistake by the boarding team and will be taken up with HAL, somehow. I don't have a TA to deal with it, so it may be a long haul.

Edited by PSR
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, PSR said:

I need to update this. My husband and I were both emailed today an official updated report from the company that administered the tests on boarding day for the 1/16 Hawaii  cruise. It was an antigen test, but I was not offered a PCR to confirm as was mentioned in a post above. I supposedly tested POSITIVE and we were denied boarding. The report sent today said I tested NEGATIVE on 1/16. I should have been allowed to board. This is a HUGE mistake by the boarding team and will be taken up with HAL, somehow. I don't have a TA to deal with it, so it may be a long haul.

WOW!!! That's more than a huge mistake!!  If you haven't posted this as a stand alone topic on HAL @PSR you should. We will all want to follow what happens next!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I've been following you since the beginning and it all seems so sad😢. It's not the vacation you looked forward to and planned for. It's good that you're talking with the other balcony people. I wish there were other icons to choose from besides "like" or "thanks" and the other one, (a "laugh" maybe?) to respond to posts on cruise critic. We need icons for hugs 🤗 and sad 😢 and a caring heart ❤️ for your posts. I'm sure Saturday can't come soon enough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PSR said:

WOW! My husband and I were just talking about this yesterday and wondering why they don’t do another test at the port if you test positive. Unbelievable! This is a MAJOR mistake. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PSR said:

Oh no!  That would really have me steamed.  I hope they give you a huge compensation.  Keep us posted.  

I have a beautiful view of Maui off my balcony today.  

I got a letter from the office of the president yesterday after my PCC called HAL’s powers that be.  Basically it said that since my husband and I had chosen to separate that there’s was nothing further to expect. It was written in kind of a snippy way.  I had only contacted my cruise consultant because front desk didn’t return my call about quarantine compensation. 

Last night the director of guest services onboard called me and we had a nice long chat.  I explained that the medical staff said there was no monetary difference between quarantining together or not. No one front front desk returned my call 2 days after being put in this cabin when I tried to get an answer to that question. I told her my goal is not to complain and try to get something more, but rather to be an advocate for information upfront being clear and concise.  Maybe an email before boarding saying “in the unlikely event one of you should test positive, this is what you need to know”.  Or a letter in the cabins on arrival.   I also said information needs to be left in the quarantine cabins about where we can order food from, what to do about laundry, garbage, etc.  No news is not good news. 

This is a difficult time for cruise ships.  I think people need to be informed. I don’t know what monetary compensation is fair.  Half back for spouses?  I know they are probably scraping the bottom in revenue right now but honestly, I’ll have to be convinced to ever set foot on another cruise, FCC or not.  

They did say that if my husband wanted to join me in quarantine now, he could have 3 days FCC.  He says at this point he’s not packing, lol. 

37293E19-8594-4807-850F-FA61E8E7EC52.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

2 minutes ago, Riversedge said:

I got a letter from the office of the president yesterday after my PCC called HAL’s powers that be.  Basically it said that since my husband and I had chosen to separate that there’s was nothing further to expect. It was written in kind of a snippy way.  I had only contacted my cruise consultant because front desk didn’t return my call about quarantine compensation. 

Last night the director of guest services onboard called me and we had a nice long chat.  I explained that the medical staff said there was no monetary difference between quarantining together or not. No one front front desk returned my call 2 days after being put in this cabin when I tried to get an answer to that question. I told her my goal is not to complain and try to get something more, but rather to be an advocate for information upfront being clear and concise.  Maybe an email before boarding saying “in the unlikely event one of you should test positive, this is what you need to know”.  Or a letter in the cabins on arrival.   I also said information needs to be left in the quarantine cabins about where we can order food from, what to do about laundry, garbage, etc.  No news is not good news. 

This is a difficult time for cruise ships.  I think people need to be informed. I don’t know what monetary compensation is fair.  Half back for spouses?  I know they are probably scraping the bottom in revenue right now but honestly, I’ll have to be convinced to ever set foot on another cruise, FCC or not.  

They did say that if my husband wanted to join me in quarantine now, he could have 3 days FCC.  He says at this point he’s not packing, lol. 

Thanks for trying to advocate for future cruisers who might end up in the same predicament.  

On a more positive note, NICE VIEW!!  If it helps you feel any better, quarantine or not, we are VERY jelly of you at the moment!!

1 hour ago, Riversedge said:

Just so I am clear....you separated and you will get 50% of  your total cabin fare in FCC.  Is that correct?

1 hour ago, Riversedge said:

I definitely think you are correct about the need to be clear. Lack of communication when you are totally isolated and at the mercy of others is an unnecessary emotional burden. Even if you are told you can't have or do something, at least you know your options. I can't believe at this late date, you are still not certain about what you can request for meals and other services. This takes "the silent treatment" to another level.

I think most of us realize that it is difficult for the cruise line and the staff, but clarity and upfront communication would actually make their job much easier in the end.

Did you ever get clarity about meal and drink ordering boundaries/requirements? Trash, laundry? I'll bet a bucket of ice is out-of-the question...

47 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Just so I am clear....you separated and you will get 50% of  your total cabin fare in FCC.  Is that correct?

According to the FAQ under "What Happens if a Guest Tests Positive Onboard?" from https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/frequently-asked-questions/faq-for-cruises-from-usa.html Their answer is: "...If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contact are quarantined or medically isolated during your voyage because of a positive COVID-19 test or are suspected of having COVID-19, you are entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for missed cruise days, including the time in quarantine, for you, your travel party, and any confirmed close contacts...."

1 hour ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Yes, sort of.  Only for the 10 days of quarantine.  If my husband had come too it would’ve been 100% for the 10 days.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, syesmar said:

According to the FAQ under "What Happens if a Guest Tests Positive Onboard?" from https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/frequently-asked-questions/faq-for-cruises-from-usa.html Their answer is: "...If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contact are quarantined or medically isolated during your voyage because of a positive COVID-19 test or are suspected of having COVID-19, you are entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for missed cruise days, including the time in quarantine, for you, your travel party, and any confirmed close contacts...."

That certainly sounds different than what they told me.  

• Thanks 1

Hang in there.  The questions will drive you crazy and make you mad.  My poor husband.  I'd be stomping around shouting and he'd watch tv.   The beautiful view must be so frustrating.  

We are working on the Antarctica cruise for December but I would have no problem cancelling if there is any chance of quarantine.  The agony of port envy is burned in me.....😀