Live From Koningsdam Quarantine

Riversedge

Just a curiosity question....should you need something like Tylenol because you have a massive headache or say cough drops because of a cough....would you be SOL or would HAL provide them thru the medical dept?    Want to plan my emergency first aid kit.   Hope you are feeling ok, and thanks for keeping all us nosy followers in the loop.

• Like 1

And yes, my husband tested negative but choose to stay with me....

And even participated in spa day.   I had packed a gift sample we received from Blue Lagoon in Iceland and pulled it out......   I was so mad that he was with me but Friday night he told me he chose to stay with me or he would have been worried sick.  I told him he would be sleeping (he loves to sleep but doesn't get to do it with his schedule) and he said he would be worried sick while sleeping.

A sense of humor was key to survival along with appreciating what we could enjoy... sunsets and spotting animals in the ocean... We spotted a manta ray, lots of turtles, little flying fishes and the birds that eat them.... fish with electric blue fins.... and he would come out and exercise a bit while I tried to keep exercising to keep my lungs cleared.   So this turned out not to be our very worst vacation.  Our worst was a few years back when I got the stomach flu on the first flight of two to the Milwaukee so we could take the Empire Builder home.  That will be a hard trip to top in terms of absolute ghastliness.    😃

IMG_6158.thumb.JPG.bb74f48de3938c6b6faa932ee41ebec9.JPG

• Like 18
  • Haha 8

39 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

Just a curiosity question....should you need something like Tylenol because you have a massive headache or say cough drops because of a cough....would you be SOL or would HAL provide them thru the medical dept?    Want to plan my emergency first aid kit.   Hope you are feeling ok, and thanks for keeping all us nosy followers in the loop.

While it's surely probable that HAL would provide these things, I wouldn't want to be at their mercy to "get around to it" so have added cough drops, cough syrup, Tylenol, and Ibuprofen to our "quick grab if only one of us is sent behind door #3" kit.

Edited by zelker
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Julia McCoun said:

On the last day on the Zuiderdam, I took a picture of what we had hoarded.   Luckily for dinner we received silverware.   

IMG_6321.thumb.JPG.fbbd3735c34a1c575b15f37f7a0d005f.JPG

We plan to board the Zuiderdam 5 weeks from today.  

Is that some kind of spray cleaner at the back of the counter for you to use yourself?  (did they supply some kind of cloths or paper towels to clean with?)  Also, assume they're not coming into the rooms to clean them during those 10 days, right?  So if you're left to your own devices, what do you do to restock clean towels and sheets, toiletries, paper products, etc.?  

Thx.

Edited by zelker

4 minutes ago, zelker said:

While it's surely probable that HAL would provide these things, I wouldn't want to be at their mercy to "get around to it" so have added cough drops, cough syrup, Tylenol, and Ibuprofen to our "quick grab if only one of us is sent behind door #3" kit.

And good to have to ward off covid like symptoms - crew and staff are on the alert to question anyone asking for and potentially buying those items while on board! Advise to bring on your extra meds!

• Like 2

Our first 48 day cruise to the South Pacific had so many “what if we need this” items, they took up a separate suitcase along with toiletries. Ridiculous but true. Once we left Hawaii there isn’t a CVS on every corner. Be prepared bring your own! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

See post #8 in this thread.  The OP posted a letter that says there will be an FCC (credit) for 100% of the per-diem rate for each day they have to spend in quarantine. So you are basically not "charged" for a room during quarantine and get a credit for whatever fare you paid for your room. As well, they refund any prepaid items like shore excursions or on board experiences.

Ah, thank you.  I guess I was too focused on looking for a comment about changing cabin/suite categories.

That's good to know, at least "as good as anything can be" in this situation.

Thanks.

GC

1 hour ago, DuffyMcfluffy said:

Walmarts in Hawaii have a great selection of Indonesian and Filipino food.

We always find a store employee and ask “If you were away from home for several months, what foods would you be craving?” Somebody will put him on the right track and load him up with treats. 

My husband asked if they wanted treats and they said no, that HAL has a snack room.  What they really wanted were toiletries.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Could you please tell us what daily life is like on the ship?  Is entertainment happening as expected?  Is spacing excellent at meals?  Are passengers allowed to get off today in Honolulu and can they get off freely, or only in ship excursions?  Thank you and I hope you have a good day. One good way to exercise in small spaces is to line dance, and you could pull up some dances on YouTube.  I hope they have given you internet access!!

19 minutes ago, zelker said:

We plan to board the Zuiderdam 5 weeks from today.  

Is that some kind of spray cleaner at the back of the counter for you to use yourself?  (did they supply some kind of cloths or paper towels to clean with?)  Also, assume they're not coming into the rooms to clean them during those 10 days, right?  So if you're left to your own devices, what do you do to restock clean towels and sheets, toiletries, paper products, etc.?  

Thx.

Here’s a picture of what you are stocked with.  No paper products but they bring tiny paper napkins with your meals.  One spray antiseptic and 3 cloths.  2 drinking glasses.  You can change your own sheets by calling and asking for clean ones to be put outside your door.  All housekeeping is up to you.  You can get more of anything by calling front desk. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Look what guest services sent me yesterday.  It came with a get well card. More important than the fruit, it came on a REAL plate!!  That’s now gone in my prize possession pile.  I can take the food that they dump in a box in one big heap and plate it. But I think I’m going to switch to all salads. The food comes barely lukewarm every day and I end up throwing most of it out.  I’m a hot food lover so food loses its appeal if it’s cool.  I’ve ordered a pizza for lunch. I’ll see how that goes.  I asked for a sticky bun for breakfast and they brought me two 😋. This was a nice thing for HAL to do.  

D6D29B19-1FE2-4D7B-BFDE-33E4E0A6E8C9.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Riversedge said:

Look what guest services sent me yesterday.  It came with a get well card. More important than the fruit, it came on a REAL plate!!  That’s now gone in my prize possession pile.  I can take the food that they dump in a box in one big heap and plate it. But I think I’m going to switch to all salads. The food comes barely lukewarm every day and I end up throwing most of it out.  I’m a hot food lover so food loses its appeal if it’s cool.  I’ve ordered a pizza for lunch. I’ll see how that goes.  I asked for a sticky bun for breakfast and they brought me two 😋. This was a nice thing for HAL to do.  

D6D29B19-1FE2-4D7B-BFDE-33E4E0A6E8C9.jpeg

Like you, I don't know which I'd be more excited about - the fruit or the plate. 😄

BTW, if you like pineapple, hopefully they'll bring some fresh onboard that you can request.  😋

• Like 2

Oh my, I am one of those following your posts, and so sorry for your most unfortunate circumstances.  I am impressed that you can keep some sense of humour , and that by continuing to write you are keeping busy.  And hopefully it helps to keep your spirits up. 
We too were to be on this cruise and bailed about 3 weeks before.  It was tough because this was the second time we booked this same cruise ..the other being the first cruise that was cancelled by HAL in 2020, just days before we were to go.

This time, it was more fear of getting the virus in the air, on connecting flights , than cruising. And also we were not wanting to go through all the hoops of travel to and from Canada.   
Glad to hear you have a balcony!  You could even be in “our” cabin, 5170.

Best wishes. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Riversedge said:

I think they wanted the room sterilized for the room steward’s sake.  I will join him in the new room when I can. 

Since omicron is not so much touch transferred I wonder how long the room air is contagious? 

10 hours ago, Julia McCoun said:

IMG_6158.thumb.JPG.bb74f48de3938c6b6faa932ee41ebec9.JPG

I remember your photo! I read all your posts too. I think all the quarantine/isolation posts are helpful to us all, so we know what to expect in that situation and know what to pack to be prepared. 

10 hours ago, Jastevenson said:

Could you please tell us what daily life is like on the ship?  Is entertainment happening as expected?  Is spacing excellent at meals?  Are passengers allowed to get off today in Honolulu and can they get off freely, or only in ship excursions?  Thank you and I hope you have a good day. One good way to exercise in small spaces is to line dance, and you could pull up some dances on YouTube.  I hope they have given you internet access!!

I would be interested in hearing the answers to these questions too.  I hope Riversedge replies.  And great idea about line dancing!!  So fun!

I’m following, too. I hope you are not too sad when looking at Hawaiian scenery from your balcony this week while not being able to go ashore. Order Mai Tais and raise a glass or two to better days ahead!

Thank you so much for the details you’ve shared. I think you are very smart to organize your walking plan in your stateroom. Ten days of physical inactivity would be so detrimental.

We were booked on your cruise and cancelled in January when my brother died the week before our departure. Since I travel with a service dog, I also was becoming concerned about the dog’s well-being if I was quarantined and not be able to walk her the usual mile+ daily. The dog’s relief box, normally on the promenade deck of Pinnacle class, would have had to be moved to my balcony. I worried about having enough dog food in the event we were further delayed returning. And your posts also made me realize even more clearly a number of other disability-related challenges I would have faced confined to a stateroom alone in quarantine. 

Keep on taking good care of yourself.

• Like 4

Quick tip:

Ask for a piece of Chocolate Layer Cake.

Chocolate Layer Cake is on their Room Service menu (available 24/7).

Try it, you won't regret it.  And you will want another piece the next day too!

We are on the next Koningsdam cruise Feb. 2 so I appreciate your post very much. Thank you Riversedge.

I hope you are able to enjoy some flora and fauna in the Hawaiian Islands from your veranda.

Thank you Riversedge for your report!   Sorry this happened to you and hoping it won't happen to us on our  cruise Feb 2, but I am finding your report very reassuring.  We have done a circle Hawaii trip before and while there are places we'd like to explore we are also ready to "cruise to nowhere" and enjoy the sun and seabirds from a balcony if that comes to pass.  Fingers crossed that you and your husband enjoy a full and uneventful recovery.

• Like 3