Live From Koningsdam Quarantine

Riversedge

6 hours ago, Julia McCoun said:

My best guess is that I caught it on the Southwest flight to San Diego. A father kept staring at me and when he was free to move around, left his wife and 3 year old in front of us and took his 10 month old unmasked baby and sat directly behind me.  The baby, being a baby, shook my seat endlessly and screamed as needed, which was quite often.  61 minute flight.

PS. My husband never got sick.  I did stay on the horrible sleeper bed and slept with a mask on for 2 days until the doctor made me move to the bed.  Still recovering.

The flight is what bothers me the most about my upcoming cruise. My day spent in the air and the airports will be almost 8 hours. A lot of time to be around people. We are going to be in San Diego for 4 days before the cruise. I hope it is long enough for us to test positive, if we are going to, before we get on the cruise.

Thanks for posting and hope you feel better soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zelker said:

Agree about allowing smoking and if I were to be so unfortunate as to land in quarantine anywhere near a smoker so that I couldn’t use the verandah, it would tip me over the edge.  WHAT is HAL thinking by allowing that??!! 

First let me say that I have never smoked.  While I understand what you're saying and wouldn't like it myself, I can understand why HAL is allowing it in these circumstances.  If they're locked up in a room with nowhere to go, the balcony is the only place that is even possible for smoking.  No one wants them leaving their room to go to a designated smoking area to get their fix (and then they can't get back in because they don't have a room key).  I've seen how some smokers get after being on a plane for a few hours and absolutely need that fix.  Imagine how they could be after a day or two without a cigarette?  Never mind ten days...  Especially if bored out of their skull?  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

First let me say that I have never smoked.  While I understand what you're saying and wouldn't like it myself, I can understand why HAL is allowing it in these circumstances.  If they're locked up in a room with nowhere to go, the balcony is the only place that is even possible for smoking.  No one wants them leaving their room to go to a designated smoking area to get their fix (and then they can't get back in because they don't have a room key).  I've seen how some smokers get after being on a plane for a few hours and absolutely need that fix.  Imagine how they could be after a day or two without a cigarette?  Never mind ten days...  Especially if bored out of their skull?  

Then if they're going to allow smoking, they need to keep smokers on one side and nonsmokers on the other.  Plain and simple fix.

• Like 9

Just now, zelker said:

I could do that but who at HAL would listen and then make it happen?  Suggestions?

I have no suggestions, but, it couldn't hurt and it might reach someone else who thinks it is such a simple solution. 

I'm going to put that idea on my list of quarantine things though, to ask that I be separated from any smoking passengers. 

• Like 1

@Riversedgethank you so much for taking time to share your experience with us. We are all hoping everything goes well for you and that you get completely well soon!

I’m one of those with you who hasn’t eaten inside a restaurant in nearly 2 years. I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to finally try dining on the ship, and then have this happen after all the precautions taken for so long. My heart goes out to you!

I hear you about the “Day 0” vs “Day 1” debate! Oh my! In my state, they used to count the first day as Day 1, then say “after 14 days, you can be released” meaning on the 15th day (same for reaching “fully vaxxed” status). Then when most were cutting it short by a day, changed it to 0 and only reaching Day 1 when 24 hours had passed. Over the years I have found various companies also count the days differently, from Airlines to Credit Cards to Apple! It matters when you have something on hold, or have a bonus, or a purchase deadline for extras, or a return, etc. I now ask, “What is considered Day 1?”😃 I’ve found a variety of answers company-to-company!

Wishing you the best!

Edited by syesmar

Sorry you are having to deal with this.  DW is immunocompromised so no cruising for us.  We had a 2020 cruise cancelled and rescheduled for 2022 and HAL cancelled that one, too.  At this point I would have to say I am glad they did.

Just a curiosity question.  I recall several other cruisers talking about their quarantine and got to thinking.  You don't have a room card key.  I know the ships require a room card to keep the lights on.  How have they handled that?  Did they just slide a cardboard cutout into the slot?  Stupid question, I know, but just curious.

Good point about smokers "needing a fix".  I never smoked, so I did not realize how true that is, until one night I was parked outside of the charter air terminal in Minneapolis wait for my DW.  Outside temp was MINUS 30 degrees (not windchill mind you), but here where several ladies in tropical clothing jumping up and down outside smoking!  They could not even wait for the luggage to arrive to get the coats they had checked while in the Caribbean.  

One of the funniest and craziest things I have ever seen!

• Like 2

Sorry this is happening for you, and joining the others wishing it to quickly pass.

About the counting of the days: The day of onset has always counted as day 0.

When Covid first started, I was assigned to phones. (I worked for a PH agency). A couple weeks into it I got a call ( more than once) from a bored, cantankerous man, who took a hotel on his own as he was symptomatic. (Testing was scarce and reserved for diagnostic and treatment purposes for the most ill at the time, by special arrangement). The guy let me know he was quite intelligent, and was a software developer. (He obviously had been on a long coding jag.🤪) Anyway, his target was when to end isolation, so I explained the (current CDC) algorithm, and how to count the days. He argued. I asked him to consider the count of days as an Index: didn’t he usually set i=0? (Of course he did. HE wasn’t writing VB.)

End of discussion. DH got a good laugh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Sorry you are having this experience.  If I can give you any thoughts from my recent 10 day isolation on the Zuiderdam, the depression for me wore off a bit by the 4th or 5th day.  I settled into a sort of acceptance of the situation, but I was still very happy to finally be released.  I found that making lots of posts on CC was a really nice way to pass my time, and it helped that people were so supportive.  My least favorite parts of the day were definitely listening to the Cruise Director announcements!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

I agree and feel it would be cruel to have a Smoker go Cold Turkey under those conditions of being Quarantined.  I don't smoke (ex-smoker)  but think it's great that HAL and other Cruise Lines are allowing the Passengers and Crew to smoke while in Quarantine.  It would be inhumane not to do so!

• Like 7

Am I off base when I say that the way the days are numbered is irrelevant?  What matters is that you stay isolated for ten full days to fulfill the CDC requirement and protect others as much as possible from getting ill. 

So sorry this happened to you but if I understand the omicron variant from the news coverage I see we are at its mercy as it is intensely contagious.  May your time go quickly and may you not be too ill or uncomfortable. If you need or want something … it never hurts to ask. The worst that will happen is that they will say no. You are still a guest aboard the ship. 

Edited by arzz
  • Like 2

Riversedge    I was an elementary teacher for 36 years , so can relate to those school days. We are scheduled for Eurodam this Wednesday, keeping away from people as much as possible. We've added things like decks of cards and travel games to our packing list for just in case.  At least your weather is much better than we have in Michigan.

I’m very appreciative of your posts. I was curious and concerned on how having a positive test was handled. I’m glad you are not really very sick but I’m sure that makes it frustrating too. I hope you stay relatively “well”. How long were you on the ship before testing was done? Why were you tested? How long is your cruise for?  I hope you get to enjoy some of it. Thoughts and prayers are with you. 

3 hours ago, arzz said:

Am I off base when I say that the way the days are numbered is irrelevant?  What matters is that you stay isolated for ten full days to fulfill the CDC requirement and protect others as much as possible from getting ill. 

The numbered days are relevant mentally when you are the one going thru it.  If they don’t get me out mid morning I will lose 11 DAYS of my cruise.  I really don’t care about the nights.  Nothing happens quickly here and they have a lot of people to check out and release.  I could easily lose my 11th sailing day if they take the whole day to release us.  I understand the counting process but it doesn’t make it easier.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Iris5383 said:

Well, crap. Is your cruise a Circle Hawaii? When we did that one, it was 5 days over, 5 days in Hawaii and 5 days back. By those calculations, you will miss the islands. I don't blame you for walking, even though it's a short course. There seem to be a lot of us following you. Hope that helps. Keep smiling!

It does help to have cruise critic friends!  Yes, our trip is to Hawaii and am missing all of the islands.  Luckily not my first trip but still disappointing. I’ve never been a fan of sea days but I know some people are.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bucketlist22 said:

I’m very appreciative of your posts. I was curious and concerned on how having a positive test was handled. I’m glad you are not really very sick but I’m sure that makes it frustrating too. I hope you stay relatively “well”. How long were you on the ship before testing was done? Why were you tested? How long is your cruise for?  I hope you get to enjoy some of it. Thoughts and prayers are with you. 

This Hawaii cruise is 17 days.  It left on Sunday.  Everyone was tested on the dock before boarding and again on either Tuesday or Wednesday.  Several cases were discovered those two days.  I will either have 3 or 3 and a half days (sea days and a late arrival to Ensenada) depending on when I am released.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Riversedge said:

It does help to have cruise critic friends!  Yes, our trip is to Hawaii and am missing all of the islands.  Luckily not my first trip but still disappointing. I’ve never been a fan of sea days but I know some people are.  

I do love the sea days, but sea days where you are quarantined to your cabin, aren't the same. I'm glad you've been to Hawaii too, but I hope it's more recent than me. My last trip there was around 1979! 

You have every right to be disappointed. No one wants to go on a trip, one where you've made a lot of effort to stay healthy, and then discover you are spending it in your cabin.

How is your husband? 

• Like 2

For those wondering where I may have gotten infected, it has to be on this sailing.  We flew to CA 3 weeks ago to babysit grandkids and only left their house to walk outside.  Our son dropped us off at the port.  Their whole family hardly left the house while we were there. They tested people getting on but obviously the test doesn’t catch everyone.  Several people tested positive during the two days of testing Tuesday and Wednesday. We were rarely near anyone else but there are people eating and drinking everywhere. 

If I had to make a decision whether to cruise again the answer would be a firm NO.  Not for a very long time.  I know our habits and safety standards and have to say that if I got it then it’s possible for anyone.  

HAL is doing all they can for us.  I can’t fault them.  There’s nothing I’ve asked for that I haven’t gotten. 

As for calling people from Hawaii, probably not.  Only if I could call from inside my room.  I’m hoping to enjoy my verandah and having someone yap on their phone next to me all day would be as bad as a smoker.  Hardly anyone knew we were coming on this cruise because my friends would all think I was crazy.  I’m not ready to tell them I am!

Football weekend!  Good luck to all teams not named Green Bay or the Bucs!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, arzz said:

So sorry this happened to you but if I understand the omicron variant from the news coverage I see we are at its mercy as it is intensely contagious.  May your time go quickly and may you not be too ill or uncomfortable. If you need or want something … it never hurts to ask. The worst that will happen is that they will say no. You are still a guest aboard the ship. 

Actually in my state and per new guidance from the CDC in December it is 5 days if you have two days symptom free and test negative on a rapid test which most people seem to be doing these days with the Covid/Omicron cold thing.  You are free to go back to the office with the suggestion of masking up for an additional 5 days but cruise ships require masks inside anyway so I would insist on a rapid test once I was symptom free.  I think 10 days is past thinking. Someone said it was an international "thing"...that internationally 10 days was still the practice, but I'm not so sure of that. In December England dropped theirs to 7 days but I have no idea what the rest of the world is doing and how that impacts a US to US cruise ship out sailing in international waters with presumably fully vaccinated crew and passengers.  I agree with everyone that airports and plane travel is far more conducive to covid spread...especially this highly contagious cold like type and because the vaccines and vaccines plus booster don't seem to be as affective combatting the Omicron thing. I was just chatting with a family member and we were trying to remember what the protocols were for noro...I think they let people quarantine in their cabin, but I don't recall if they mandated when people could return to normal after being diagnosed with noro.  If I recall people were symptomatic for 3 days or so much like this Omicron covid. And they know now that Omicron is not likely to be spread through touch unlike Noro. I know I could not be as gracious as the few who have posted...I don't like eating from take out containers and I really hate eating with plastic utensils or drinking wine out of a plastic cup....any of those would turn me into a crazy old woman 🙂. I could handle being alone with a balcony for 5 days but for heavens sake put my food on a real plate, give me a wine glass and supply me with silverware.  I'll wash my own dishes and unload the food from the ucky paper take out container 🙂 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2