Live From Koningsdam Quarantine

Riversedge

How are you doing today?  I appreciate all your positive posts. I am sure you enjoyed your plate of fruit.  I smiled when you said you were going to keep the plate.  I am sure I would be on the phone to guest services constantly especially asking for more hot water for my tea.  I always carry tea bags..especially ginger tea.  Maybe they would just bring  a larger pot of hot water!!

Thank you for answering everyone's questions.  Hope today is sunny and warm and you can enjoy your deck.  Be sure and tell Ed hello.  You both seem to be making the best of this situation.  🙋‍♀️

• Like 2

You can request towels any time.  You put your dirty linen in the bag provided and they give you clean towels.  Yes they provide disinfectant and cleaning towels.   I also brought a large can of Lysol so I was spraying the outside of our door and the balcony lots.   We also changed our bed linens on request.  We had our main point of contact, Catherine, who has the worst job dealing with us angry folks and the dining room person who would call us and ask what we wanted and what time and then he would follow  and make sure everything was ok.   We had a few issues and they were always corrected.  If we needed to co tact the medical center or need housekeeping items, we would contact Catherine.    

Its funny because we would order lunch and add a bucket of ice and ice was housekeeping.   

I would have my husband ask for carafes of iced tea and then use glasses in our room or hoard the iced tea.   

The refrigerator that is normally filled as a mini bar was empty.  Luckily I had ordered a 12 pack of Open Water for our shore excursions so I threw them in our suitcase so we always had water.  

• Thanks 3

On 1/23/2022 at 12:01 PM, GeezerCouple said:

I was carried off a plane from Hong Kong in mid-December, 2019 and spent 10 days in hospital on oxygen, and it got scary for short time.  We were returning from an absolutely amazing NZ/Oz cruise on Noordam, and then several days in Sydney.  Separate question is, "What did I *really* have back then?"  I was kept in a "contagion precaution" room, and everyone was fully gowned/masked...   I am hoping to avoid a repeat of that, but who knows...]

We had a similar experience but not carried off but were sick for 2 months.  We were on the Zuiderdam on a 10 day cruise ending 12/22/2019.   The ship had just left dry dock so we had a crew that just arrived from their homes in the Philippines and Indonesia to join our ship.   We were wondering once COVID was owned up to by China if it was spreading earlier than what they were admitting.   Just a few plane flights from connector cities in Asia could have brought it aboard the Zuiderdam.  We got home a day after our cruise and as of Christmas we were both sick.  DF went home to his house because he thought my cats were causing his cough.   I couldn't get out of bed the next day and we both battled the worst coughing fits of our lives for a month.  I went to the ER on NYE because I thought I had pneumonia.  No pneumonia but my pulse ox varied between 92 and 94 when I am usually 99.   We were both sick until the middle of March.    I told my sister who brought me food and cat supplies don't come in here - "you don't want to get this".   Normally the second vaccine dose is supposed to be the one that causes a reaction.  Not me, I had a one day flu like reaction that began within 2 hours of my first Moderna shot.   We will never know how long it had been circulating.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2022 at 7:56 AM, cruzin4us said:

Just a curiosity question....should you need something like Tylenol because you have a massive headache or say cough drops because of a cough....would you be SOL or would HAL provide them thru the medical dept?    Want to plan my emergency first aid kit.   Hope you are feeling ok, and thanks for keeping all us nosy followers in the loop.

I would bring anything I thot I might need.  They did ask if there was anything I needed medically so probably possible to get otc meds. 

I definitely would pack cough drops.  I recommend Ricola Natural Herb.  I always travel with them because I always have sinus problems with scratchy throat due to allergies.  Besides, they almost taste like candy!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/23/2022 at 8:58 AM, Jastevenson said:

Could you please tell us what daily life is like on the ship?  Is entertainment happening as expected?  Is spacing excellent at meals?  Are passengers allowed to get off today in Honolulu and can they get off freely, or only in ship excursions?  Thank you and I hope you have a good day. One good way to exercise in small spaces is to line dance, and you could pull up some dances on YouTube.  I hope they have given you internet access!!

Life on the ship…..normal.  No spacing, no one guarding the sanitizers, no seats blocked anywhere.   Passengers can get off in any port and do whatever they want.   There are people with chin masks and people wearing them under their nose.  They ask you wear them on the dance floor and I saw that enforced twice on the Mexico portion we did first.  I wasn’t near a bar or dance floor on this ship but I can tell you from walking around at the beginning that people are eating and drinking everywhere. (Thus no masks). The majority of people are following rules. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

How do you know what time it is during quarantine?  It is always 5 minutes later than the last time you looked!   Yesterday was the first time depression really hit.  I talked to people from the verandah that are next door and two doors down.  They said the same thing.  It was ok as long as they were sea days but it hits home harder when you watch people getting off.  

tip:  get to know your neighbors as much as you can. Be friendly!!  It makes time go faster when you have someone in the same situation, especially if you are alone.  Today was the first time I’ve had the chance as they haven’t been out since the first day.  The second day the man on the other side walked out, took one look at me and RAN inside.  He hasn’t been on his balcony since.  Maybe he thinks I’ll give him Covid, lol. I’m really not a scary person 😁

I called for a laundry bag today.  A flimsy clear plastic bag showed up (think Dollar store thickness).  No sheet to fill out with items listed or your name and room number.  I put a note with my name inside.  If I don’t see it again I’ll be turning my remaining underwear wrong side out to wear again, lol. 

A “spa day” would be fun.  Another good reason to come prepared. 

I haven’t tried the line dancing yet.  I’ve been entertained with football for two days but now will be looking for something else to do.

I wish I could have a pot of hot water.  They tell you that they can’t bring anything other than paper items but might be worth begging.  I’m missing my tea I usually drink throughout the morning. 

I’m not sure how many are in quarantine.  Don’t bother to ask.  They simply will not tell you.  Quite a few though.  

My sympathies to anyone who has gotten severely sick on a cruise.  “Luckily” this is seems to be very mild.  I’m feeling fine now.  An occasional cough first thing when I get up but that’s my normal life.  I’m not sure I would even test positive anymore.  I do have a home test with me but I’m not taking it.  Nothing to be gained.  They’re not letting me out early.  I do suggest bringing a couple.  If you have mild symptoms best to check yourself before alerting the medical center.  Or for peace of mind for yourself.  

My husband went to the luau last night by himself.  His comment when he returned was “Just shoot me please”.  It’s not really our thing but he was looking for something to do.  At least I didn’t feel I was missing anything. 

Thanks for the good wishes. I’m just going to post thoughts and suggestions throughout the days and not do a Day 0, Day 1, etc.   I feel much more upbeat if I don’t concentrate on which day it is.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

My view today.  It’s very hot on the balcony but will be perfect this afternoon.  We are here overnight and all of tomorrow.   The problem with the Hawaii crossing is there is nothing to look at but water.  No birds, no ships, no fish.  Just water.  From past experience there would be more to look at in other parts of the world.  Still beautiful tho and beats the snow.  

0AFDD522-19FF-485F-AEFB-FBB4F27D4DAA.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Riversedge said:

My view today.  It’s very hot on the balcony but will be perfect this afternoon.  We are here overnight and all of tomorrow.   The problem with the Hawaii crossing is there is nothing to look at but water.  No birds, no ships, no fish.  Just water.  From past experience there would be more to look at in other parts of the world.  Still beautiful tho and beats the snow.  

0AFDD522-19FF-485F-AEFB-FBB4F27D4DAA.jpeg

At this time of year it's very possible to see humpbacks, dolphins, even the occasional manta ray leaping out of the water ... and you've got a front row seat!! 

• Like 2

@Riversedge

That is rather ridiculous that they won't bring you a pot of hot water!  I am VERY certain that there might be some kettles stored onboard (cabin kettles are routinely provided on European cruises).  Call guest services and FIRMLY request a kettle (to remain in your cabin) along with an assortment of teas, sweeteners, etc.  Tell them that you will personally disinfect the kettle at the end of your "stay".   

• Like 2

On 1/22/2022 at 6:31 PM, zelker said:

Great idea!  We'll plan to do the same.  And guess the Elemis shampoo or body wash works for dish detergent too. 😉  

I cannot remember where I got this from it was not my idea but I find it very helpful. I cut up some sponges in smaller sizes saturate them with dawn detergent.  Let them dry and throw them in a baggie to Travel. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Riversedge said:

You are correct. That wouldn’t be possible.  Heck, we don’t even have hair dryers!!!

Not even a hair dryer?!?  Yikes!  I'm glad I've got a mini one I always take in my carry-on.  I'm sorry they won't give you a pot of hot water; there's nothing like lukewarm water to make your tea.  Ugh.  Stay strong, girl!

Smooth Sailing!

• Like 3

On 1/22/2022 at 5:20 PM, dchip said:

I already have silverware in my backpack. A new get prepared to cruise item. 

So funny as I just read this post.  I bought this stuff at Walmart 6 months or so ago and plan on taking on our next cruise.  ALL from Walmart.  Waterproof yellow wet bag.  Gold looking silverwear so we dont forget it in the Lido and plastic cups.  Maybe $15-20 worth.  Taking it for sure now  🙂  It might help or come in handy

Silverwear.JPG

• Like 4

It makes no sense that you can’t get something to keep HOT water in.  NMCruiser123 asked for and got Bar-Bells to work out with along with real plates, glasses and silverware while he was in quarantine on the Zuiderdam. Keep asking for anything that might make your quarantine a little less stressful. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, highscar said:

I doubt very much if kettles are aloud in cabins. As per the list of forbidden items in the booklet in your cabin. 

Yes, you cannot BRING a kettle onboard for safety reasons.  However, they are already in cabins on European cruises!!

1 hour ago, highscar said:

Check the cabinet in the desk for hair dryer

That would be in a normal room only.  Honestly I hadn’t noticed because there’s not a lot of reason to primp.  The neighbor mentioned not having one and shoot…she was right. 

• Thanks 1

Just finished reading all the posts in one sitting.  You really do seem like a great trouper, and finding the positives when you can.  We are hoping to board your ship next Wednesday, and I think our cabin 5191 is one of the isolation cabins on your cruise.  Thanks for demystifying what can happen if one of us tests positive on board.  In the early days of COVID, people in some cities would go out on their balconies at at set time, say 6 pm, and sing.  I'm guessing not everyone would embrace that idea.  What are you looking forward to most on day 12?

Bob

HAL sent everyone this yesterday on our first day in Hawaii.  A deck of cards and coloring pages.  Nice touch. 

I find myself counting the hours until food arrives but honestly, it’s really bad.  I’ve learned not to order anything that has to be hot.  They call after every meal and if you tell them it was cold their answer is “I’m sorry…what would you like to order for your next meal?”  The answer is here is sandwiches and salads.  I’ve also learned to order dressing on the side.  I ordered a Caesar salad last night as my main course.  It was tiny and saturated with dressing.  I would LOVE a cold beer and Taco Bell right now!  
My neighbor was YELLING at guest services on the phone earlier about something he ordered.  No need to be a jerk.  I heard that the lady 3 doors down dresses up for dinner each night.  Nice attitude.  I’m sporting the tshirt and shorts attire for my meals.  

I found out my son’s family (son, dil, 5, 6 and 18 month old all have Covid.  They’ll be fine.  They are super careful too.  

Another thought about what to bring:  sunscreen for each of you.  You can’t share one tube.  

F475E980-F504-4379-AA09-7BD049B6800A.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VacationCharlene said:

So funny as I just read this post.  I bought this stuff at Walmart 6 months or so ago and plan on taking on our next cruise.  ALL from Walmart.  Waterproof yellow wet bag.  Gold looking silverwear so we dont forget it in the Lido and plastic cups.  Maybe $15-20 worth.  Taking it for sure now  🙂  It might help or come in handy

Silverwear.JPG

You’ve got the right idea!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Newly Retired Teachers said:

Just finished reading all the posts in one sitting.  You really do seem like a great trouper, and finding the positives when you can.  We are hoping to board your ship next Wednesday, and I think our cabin 5191 is one of the isolation cabins on your cruise.  Thanks for demystifying what can happen if one of us tests positive on board.  In the early days of COVID, people in some cities would go out on their balconies at at set time, say 6 pm, and sing.  I'm guessing not everyone would embrace that idea.  What are you looking forward to most on day 12?

Bob

I am so looking forward to a dinner at Tamarind!

• Like 8