Live From Koningsdam Quarantine

Riversedge

3 hours ago, san diego sue said:

Have you been tested again since the initial testing? I had posted previously that I also tested positive but mine was two days before sailing so we were comfortably at home.. I just had a PCR test done and I am now negative.

The whole ship was tested and 2 and 3 days out.  I was given a second (pcr) test the same day but no more tests were given. We will not be tested to get out.  I think if the whole ship had been done on the 3rd day many more cases would have been discovered.  I doubt I would have tested positive on the second day of sailing.  I probably would have just figured it to be sinus issues which I have all the time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, zelker said:

Can you ask DH which company the ship tour went out with please.  The only way we'll go to Lahaina is on a ship tour.  Thx.  🐳

It was Maui Reef Adventures.  He said they did an excellent job and would highly recommend them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Newly Retired Teachers said:

Where is the ship sailing to next?  I am also curious if you have eaten at Tamarind before, and what you plan to order Saturday night. Are you near cabin 5191?  How the ride is back there?  I am glad you are enjoying the dialogue on this blog, but please know it's helping with our anxiety as well by sharing your experiences with all of us!

This ship is doing Hawaii again on its next voyage.  They will have this same problem again and they know it.  Hopefully they will be a little more prepared.  They were slammed this time.  

We ate at the Tamarind early in the voyage.  It’s an amazing restaurant. I am definitely having the Szechuan shrimp!  With a few wasabi cocktails on the side, lol. 

I am in cabin 5157.  No motion here but I can feel the thumps from an occasional wave harder than I did up on deck 8.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Riversedge said:

It was Maui Reef Adventures.  He said they did an excellent job and would highly recommend them. 

When you said it was only about a 20 minute drive, I figured he went out of Ma'alaea Harbor (it's more like 45 minutes to Lahaina) and that's where Maui Reef Adventures sails out of which IS about 20 minutes without traffic.  😉 Thanks for the info!  

PS - How would he compare it to Captain Steve? (we've been out with him before)  And how much did HAL charge?  Thanks again.

Edited by zelker

I just want to thank you once again for all of the information you have given us at home wondering if we should cancel or not. Being informed helps a lot. I hope you do get out Saturday and can enjoy a little of your cruise. Bless you for all you’ve gone through and have done to help those future quarantine people. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Bucketlist22 said:

I just want to thank you once again for all of the information you have given us at home wondering if we should cancel or not. Being informed helps a lot. I hope you do get out Saturday and can enjoy a little of your cruise. Bless you for all you’ve gone through and have done to help those future quarantine people. 

You are quite welcome.    Cruise critic has been a nice diversion for me.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

This is my view today.  Look at the snow!  We have had such great weather on this trip.  

If any of you unfortunately end up in quarantine and choose not to stay together, be aware that your spouse can send things up to your room through front desk.  This morning I got a nice box of chocolate covered macadamia nuts from my husband and this afternoon he sent up some fresh fruit from the market.  They just have to drop it off at front desk.  

A4D21169-7DEE-403F-AFAC-64EC90EBFCC2.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6

7 minutes ago, Riversedge said:

This is my view today.  Look at the snow!  We have had such great weather on this trip.  

If any of you unfortunately end up in quarantine and choose not to stay together, be aware that your spouse can send things up to your room through front desk.  This morning I got a nice box of chocolate covered macadamia nuts from my husband and this afternoon he sent up some fresh fruit from the market.  They just have to drop it off at front desk.  

Oh that’s really good to know your spouse can send things to you!!!   That makes a big difference!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riversedge said:

What a terrific photo!

Another big thanks for all you have been sharing with us, about Covid protocols and more generally.

And we are both sending you positive vibes... hope they can reach all that distance!

We were supposed to have our first trip to Hawaii (LONG overdue) this past December, but nooo...  So seeing your photos now is extra nice.

If you did not have your husband to drop things off, could you request that someone, perhaps from Guest services, could bring you something specific/special like that (at your cost, etc.)?

Chocolate-covered macadamia nuts sound like just the right thing now 🙂

Hope you continue to stay comfortable!

GC

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rothbury said:

Yeah, HAL's elitism is definitely on full display.....   Definitely treating star status mariners based on how many stars and sea days they have.  

Did HAL's elitism start on this cruise, or has it always been that way ? Could you give an example of it please ?  

1 minute ago, Boatdrill said:

Did HAL's elitism start on this cruise, or has it always been that way ? Could you give an example of it please ?  

We are 5 star and get some great perks but in the day to day life on the ship I really do not see that we are treated any better so what elitism are you talking about? 

My best wishes to all. J

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Riversedge said:

Can they not just come down to the quarantine deck (or whatever), knock on your door, and hand it to you?  At worst, I would think they could knock and then leave it on the little table where your food gets delivered.

Honestly, this is sounding more and more like you're in the brig, not a paying passenger on an upscale cruise line.

I too want to thank you for all of your wonderful posts.  We are on the 2 February cruise, Are currently isolating at home, and will not do a lot of socializing. We plan to do Pearl Harbor, probably not a whole lot more. It’s important that we make this trip now or we would wait. Thank you for all your insight – if one of us were to end up in isolation we would have to do it together. Pray that doesn’t happen.Here’s to getting out on Saturday and enjoying the rest of your cruise. Thank you again good luck and God bless

30 minutes ago, iceman93 said:

Can they not just come down to the quarantine deck (or whatever), knock on your door, and hand it to you?  At worst, I would think they could knock and then leave it on the little table where your food gets delivered.

Honestly, this is sounding more and more like you're in the brig, not a paying passenger on an upscale cruise line.

The quarantine area is a lockdown area.  The fire doors in that section of that deckare closed at both ends with a sign that says it is a crew only area.   Most passengers would not even notice that the area is closed off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iceman93 said:

The area is sealed behind fire doors and not accessible. In theory someone could probably figure out how to open the fire door but I would absolutely not recommend this. I can only imagine that it will set off an alarm on the bridge and someone will be dispatched to investigate (and keep in mind pretty much everywhere on the ship is on camera). Violating the quarantine area is probably a great way to get banned from sailing or land yourself in quarantine. Much better to give it to the front desk to have it delivered by the crew. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anything can be left for you at the front desk and it will be delivered to the table outside your door.  

Today we all got a plate of desserts from one of the specialty restaurants. We are appreciative of the extra touches.  

I received a second snippy letter from Holland’s Office of the President.  It said they had already told me once that my husband was not getting FCC and they were not going to change their mind or discuss it further.  I had again questioned the worry free promise that said “FCC would apply to affected guests and their immediate travel party in the same stateroom.”  They need to change their wording to “quarantined in the same stateroom”.  Very misleading intentionally on their part.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

The quarantine area is a lockdown area.  The fire doors in that section of that deckare closed at both ends with a sign that says it is a crew only area.   Most passengers would not even notice that the area is closed off.

It’s actually very obvious what areas are closed off.  You can walk around the ship and see the doors closed with big signs on them not to enter.  These would be normal hallways on a normal cruise.  There are several areas blocked off on this ship.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I also want to thank you again for all you have posted here.  You have shared such great information about how to quarantine  and also  you show great concern for helping others know how to navigate a very trying experience. 
It was good to know that your husband can deliver things to you by giving them to the front desk.  

I know you are counting the hours now until Saturday.  Have a wonderful dinner at the Tamarind.  Enjoy the view and company of your DH!!  Order 2 desserts.  I have a hard time choosing which one I like the best! 

Many blessing to you both.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, highland cruiser said:

I also want to thank you again for all you have posted here.  You have shared such great information about how to quarantine  and also  you show great concern for helping others know how to navigate a very trying experience. 
It was good to know that your husband can deliver things to you by giving them to the front desk.  

I know you are counting the hours now until Saturday.  Have a wonderful dinner at the Tamarind.  Enjoy the view and company of your DH!!  Order 2 desserts.  I have a hard time choosing which one I like the best! 

Many blessing to you both.

Thanks, Mary. We hope to share a cruise with you again some day.  We are going to use specialty dining for 3 of our last 4 nights.  The dining room food choices have really gone downhill and I just can’t face one of their repetitive menus again.  I am so ready to be pampered!  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You deserve to to be pampered.

We would love to travel with you again also.  Stay in touch when you plan to cruise again.   Your travel trailer is probably looking pretty good right now.  We have one planned with the grandkids this summer already and want to go see our family in Colorado and Nevada.  Just need some better weather as we don’t want to cross any snowy mountains right now!  

Thank you so much for keeping this open and caring enough to share all your information.  We are on the Feb 2nd cruise and you are the reason we will not cancel it.  I am bring forks, napkins, and instant coffee, just in case, I’m packing different than I would, because of you, thanks again!  Personally, I think all the cruise lines are doing a great job trying to get things rolling agin.  Even at there best we all could find something to complain about, and while there down, we all know how to “ kick them while they are down”.  I’m hoping we’re all better than that,  I’m working on being kind, because we lost so much kindness in this world.  Take care of yourself and enjoy the rest of your cruise.  Thanks again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Riversedge said:

…I had again questioned the worry free promise that said “FCC would apply to affected guests and their immediate travel party in the same stateroom.”…

I see that this page https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise.html now has the disclaimer, “We are currently assessing enhanced health and safety protocols in light of COVID-19 and how they may impact our future offerings. Our actual offerings may vary from what is displayed or described here….”

Interesting wording.

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Riversedge said:

Anything can be left for you at the front desk and it will be delivered to the table outside your door.  

Today we all got a plate of desserts from one of the specialty restaurants. We are appreciative of the extra touches.  

I received a second snippy letter from Holland’s Office of the President.  It said they had already told me once that my husband was not getting FCC and they were not going to change their mind or discuss it further.  I had again questioned the worry free promise that said “FCC would apply to affected guests and their immediate travel party in the same stateroom.”  They need to change their wording to “quarantined in the same stateroom”.  Very misleading intentionally on their part.  

Like you, that is not at all how I interpreted their "Promise" - wow. This information plus everything else in this thread has convinced us to cancel our Feb. 27 Mexico booking and probably shift it to Alaska this summer, when we hope things will have improved. The potential quarantine logistics with 2 elderly parents isn't worth the risk. Thanks very much for sharing your total experience, good and bad. Best wishes for a better end to your cruise! I hope you can enjoy a few good days.

Edited by Kirsten T
typo
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Riversedge said:

It’s actually very obvious what areas are closed off.  You can walk around the ship and see the doors closed with big signs on them not to enter.  These would be normal hallways on a normal cruise.  There are several areas blocked off on this ship.  

It was less obvious in November.  We were on deck four in 4156 right next to the closed off “crew” area and it took us a few days to realize something was different.   It was our first time on the Koningsdam.  We couldn’t walk from deck 4 forward to our aft room without running into a wall.  We asked the steward about it and he told us it was a quarantine area for new crew joining the ship.  At that time I was unaware of other closed quarantine areas.

Thankfully HAL chose to quarantine in balconies.   I hope HAL will learn from your candid reports and make changes where possible.  Enjoy your last four days of specialty dining, you deserve to be treated like a celebrity!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, syesmar said:

I see that this page https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise.html now has the disclaimer, “We are currently assessing enhanced health and safety protocols in light of COVID-19 and how they may impact our future offerings. Our actual offerings may vary from what is displayed or described here….”

Interesting wording.

This may be "okay" for those making reservations or maybe final payment after they post this, but for those with paid reservations, it's not "okay" to change the terms after it's all finalized.  Obviously, they change change things that are required for health/safety/etc.  But not just so they can "save money" by giving fewer credits or whatever.

But it does appear they are listening (or others there also figured out how things were/should work).

GC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1