Live From Koningsdam Quarantine

Riversedge

OK, information needed.  I’m not alway on CC if I’m not actively planning a cruise.  When did priority tendering get moved to 5* only?  I reminded my husband that he could get tickets (we are 4*) so he asked and was told only 5*.  Why downgrade a perk that was costing them nothing?

• Thanks 1

I'm not on the cruise, but I'm in Kona and awhile ago I walked through town and to the pier and saw the ship anchored out.  I sent you happy vibes and gave you a wave!!

Hope the time passes quickly for you and that you have some memorable days on the ship at the end before arriving back in San Diego.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, LocoLoco1 said:

QUESTION: KINDLE e-reader will download a book when in Port, correct? How about my NewYorkTimes Int'l Edition 5/days a week? I hopefully sail to Panama early Feb. Hang in there...

Yes, you can download books in ports.  We are anchored offshore today and my phones/tablets work.  It should work on the ship too, right?  They will provide you with free internet. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hello Riversedge, have been following along and am so sorry, like everyone else, that you are in quarantine, but glad you are not feeling too ill. Re the food not being served hot, that is truly unfortunate as it is one of the few things that can help break up your day and make it better. NMCruise, when he was on Zuiderdam (I think) described the food as very good, and served hot...so, it can be done. While I agree there is nothing to be gained by berating the hardworking staff, there is equally nothing wrong in politely insisting on your hot food being served as intended--and escalating to the guest relations manager if necessary, again, of course in a nice way. 

In the meantime, I hope the days pass quickly, you get to watch some decent movies on TV (if you never watched Downton Abby, the entire series of 6 seasons was a few years back available, as one suggestion), and you enjoy the weather from your balcony. If any consolation, after a wallop of snow a week ago, Toronto today got just what we needed when we had not yet completed the clean up from the last storm--more snow! At least you have nice weather! 

Take care, and hopefully the old adage of "ask and ye shall receive" works for you!

ON cruiser

• Like 2

Congrats on the shorts!  We were shirts and undies or pjs.   My husband was not sad to see the suit packed.  

Port days were BRUTAL.  I think Seven Seas arranged pier entertainment and the drummers between the ships was loud and I had a total blast dancing.  I tried to bury myself in movies on port days, silly fluffy movies.  Try the drama comedy.  Not Blythe Spirit.  The movie. Falling something.  Real memorable but it was enjoyable.  Movie star.  Violin player.   Ireland.   The Underwater thing movie  was creepy.  My husband noticed that they kept adding movies to the choices so check.   

Hang in there.  

• Like 1

Hello Riversedge

Thank you for your posts.  I agree to requesting your food being served hot.  I always ordered room service breakfast and food was hot.  Should be the same for you.     Hope you find some of the quiet time refreshing..  understated cruise jail is lonely..  Sending good wishes from Seattle. laura & mark

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Riversedge said:

I called for a laundry bag today.  A flimsy clear plastic bag showed up (think Dollar store thickness).  No sheet to fill out with items listed or your name and room number.  I put a note with my name inside.  If I don’t see it again I’ll be turning my remaining underwear wrong side out to wear again, lol. 

Good to know they will at least do laundry.  Did you list what you sent out on the note you included?  (I think I would AND I'd take a photo of it to have, just in case).

Would appreciate if you'd let us know how long it took to get it back and if everything showed up.  Also, did it come back with a laundry list for next time like we usually get.  

BTW, did you ever find a hairdryer hiding somewhere?  

Thanks.

What!! No hair dryer....I would really be on the phone asking for that.  Granted no one would see me but for my mental state a hair dryer would keep me sane!!  LOL.  Hope you found one.  

When I asked about getting hot water I was thinking about the large containers that they serve water or coffee in in the dining room.  Certainly they send one to you so you could sip on your tea all morning.  I am glad you have someone to next door to at least see and visit with.  

Hope your family recovers quickly from covid.

Enjoy the Tamarind...I but you also stop at the bar beforehand!   I remember that being such an awesome place and view on the Eurodam.  

Hang in there.  Your posts are so helpful and I am making a list of things to bring with us next week on the Nieuw Statendam.  May you see whales breaching right off your verandah as you sail across the ocean.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, highland cruiser said:

What!! No hair dryer....I would really be on the phone asking for that.  Granted no one would see me but for my mental state a hair dryer would keep me sane!!  LOL.  Hope you found one.  

When I asked about getting hot water I was thinking about the large containers that they serve water or coffee in in the dining room.  Certainly they send one to you so you could sip on your tea all morning.  I am glad you have someone to next door to at least see and visit with.  

Hope your family recovers quickly from covid.

Enjoy the Tamarind...I but you also stop at the bar beforehand!   I remember that being such an awesome place and view on the Eurodam.  

Hang in there.  Your posts are so helpful and I am making a list of things to bring with us next week on the Nieuw Statendam.  May you see whales breaching right off your verandah as you sail across the ocean.  

Believe me, I have done battle on the hot food.  They can only send things in paper.   No pot of tea, no plates.  Whatever you order from the dining room will be piled in a paper takeout box.    Therefore I’ve resigned myself to only eating what I can eat cold.  I had an awesome Cobb salad yesterday.  

They do not put anything more than bare essentials in these rooms as they don’t want to sanitize them. No hair dryer hidden anywhere.  Thank goodness I have the beverage package or I would be running up a bar bill!  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, zelker said:

Good to know they will at least do laundry.  Did you list what you sent out on the note you included?  (I think I would AND I'd take a photo of it to have, just in case).

Would appreciate if you'd let us know how long it took to get it back and if everything showed up.  Also, did it come back with a laundry list for next time like we usually get.  

BTW, did you ever find a hairdryer hiding somewhere?  

Thanks.

I left laundry in the morning, they picked it up early afternoon and I got it back about 3 hours after that.  Everything was hung and folded as usual.  Nothing missing.  I did make a list of what was in there, took a picture of it and put the list in the bag.  They filled out the typical laundry sheet.  No sheet for next time but they did send a regular cloth bag.  I have free laundry.  I’m assuming they would charge otherwise?  Don’t know about that.  I was told they wash it in super hot water and not to wash any of my party dresses.  Don’t think the wearing of party dresses in this room had entered my mind!

Nope, no hairdryer. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, brnowl said:

The Tamarind!  Great choice!  I would do that too.  And at lunchtime I would get something at the Dive In.  How many more days until freedom?

I’m out Saturday.  No information but hope it’s early in the day.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just spoke to the medical center.  My release time is 1:00 pm on the 29th.  I went in quarantine in the morning but the nurse said they have a lot of people to move out that day. No retest, they will just release me back to my husband’s room and I will get my key card there.  At the end of the cruise the dr will give me a letter with my positive test result and that I have quarantined.  The med center sounded super busy in the background. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

I got to thinking when I couldn't sleep:

Let's just say you had covid 1 month ago and didn't know it (it's possible if you were asymptomatic) and HAL decides to do a PCR test on all passengers.   There would be a good chance your PCR test would show positive for covid thus they would put you in quarantine.   

I guess my point is that we as cruisers should probably take a PCR test a week or so before we sail (not the Antigen test) just to make sure we don't show a positive reading from a covid infection we didn't even know we had....does this make sense?   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

47 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

I got to thinking when I couldn't sleep:

Let's just say you had covid 1 month ago and didn't know it (it's possible if you were asymptomatic) and HAL decides to do a PCR test on all passengers.   There would be a good chance your PCR test would show positive for covid thus they would put you in quarantine.   

I guess my point is that we as cruisers should probably take a PCR test a week or so before we sail (not the Antigen test) just to make sure we don't show a positive reading from a covid infection we didn't even know we had....does this make sense?   

It does. That is why I was amazed the pre-cruise testing could be an antigen (not the best) OR a PCR. I purposefully did a PCR pre-cruise just for that reason. 

• Like 1