Live From Koningsdam Quarantine

Riversedge

By the way OP,  I'm from "up north" also and it's frigid, cold and monochromatic shades of black and white and has been for days on end except the lake....it's still blueish except close to shore where there it also is monochromatic. 

35 minutes ago, conwakr said:

Actually in my state and per new guidance from the CDC in December it is 5 days if you have two days symptom free and test negative on a rapid test which most people seem to be doing these days with the Covid/Omicron cold thing.  You are free to go back to the office with the suggestion of masking up for an additional 5 days but cruise ships require masks inside anyway so I would insist on a rapid test once I was symptom free.  I think 10 days is past thinking. Someone said it was an international "thing"...that internationally 10 days was still the practice, but I'm not so sure of that. In December England dropped theirs to 7 days but I have no idea what the rest of the world is doing and how that impacts a US to US cruise ship out sailing in international waters with presumably fully vaccinated crew and passengers.  I agree with everyone that airports and plane travel is far more conducive to covid spread...especially this highly contagious cold like type and because the vaccines and vaccines plus booster don't seem to be as affective combatting the Omicron thing. I was just chatting with a family member and we were trying to remember what the protocols were for noro...I think they let people quarantine in their cabin, but I don't recall if they mandated when people could return to normal after being diagnosed with noro.  If I recall people were symptomatic for 3 days or so much like this Omicron covid. And they know now that Omicron is not likely to be spread through touch unlike Noro. I know I could not be as gracious as the few who have posted...I don't like eating from take out containers and I really hate eating with plastic utensils or drinking wine out of a plastic cup....any of those would turn me into a crazy old woman 🙂. I could handle being alone with a balcony for 5 days but for heavens sake put my food on a real plate, give me a wine glass and supply me with silverware.  I'll wash my own dishes and unload the food from the ucky paper take out container 🙂 

5 days for general public, with some exceptions.

Cruise ships can also be considered congregate living situations.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/quarantine-isolation-background.html

I am so sorry that this happened. I too did everything to stay safe before my last cruises but it appears that even the safest person will be struck down.  It sounds like if you get the call a person should grab robes, plates, silverware and glasses before they take the walk down the long hall. 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

5 days for general public, with some exceptions.

Cruise ships can also be considered congregate living situations.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/quarantine-isolation-background.html

Appears the CDC does consider cruise ships as congregate settings (I just copied this from their site).  

Quarantine in high-risk congregate settings

In certain congregate settings that have high risk of secondary transmission (such as correctional and detention facilities, homeless shelters, or cruise ships), CDC recommends a 10-day quarantine for residents, regardless of vaccination and booster status. During periods of critical staffing shortages, facilities may consider shortening the quarantine period for staff to ensure continuity of operations. Decisions to shorten quarantine in these settings should be made in consultation with state, local, tribal, or territorial health departments and should take into consideration the context and characteristics of the facility. CDC’s setting-specific guidance provides additional recommendations for these settings.

• Thanks 2

•   

Appears the CDC does consider cruise ships as congregate settings (I just copied this from their site).  

Quarantine in high-risk congregate settings

In certain congregate settings that have high risk of secondary transmission (such as correctional and detention facilities, homeless shelters, or cruise ships), CDC recommends a 10-day quarantine for residents, regardless of vaccination and booster status. During periods of critical staffing shortages, facilities may consider shortening the quarantine period for staff to ensure continuity of operations. Decisions to shorten quarantine in these settings should be made in consultation with state, local, tribal, or territorial health departments and should take into consideration the context and characteristics of the facility. CDC’s setting-specific guidance provides additional recommendations for these settings.

So, if you test positive on day 6 of an 8 day cruise, how many days do you get to be quarantined in the hotel?  5 or 10 total days?  Sorry this happened to you...
Edited by ktbraun
error

Day 1:

I met my neighbors on one side of me.  They were on their balcony talking to friends on the walking deck. They were telling their friends that they are demanding to be let out of their room because this is all a conspiracy.   Then they started talking to me and I asked them if they both tested positive.  They said yes.  I asked if they both had both the rapid antigen and rapid pcr tests.  They said they tested positive on both. But then they said they had no symptoms and it wasn’t real as they were coughing constantly.  I found this humorous.  I’m so glad we’re not really sick!

Things I brought from home that I’m glad I have:

soft Kleenex. I always bring a bunch with me as I hate cheap Kleenex.  
    This has been a godsend.  Expect a runny nose

a little bag of chocolates.  Nothing like a bite of chocolate to make me

feel better!

each of us carry our own tube of toothpaste.  
binoculars…hoping for some whales and birds

one dollar bills for tips

magnetic wall clips for fastening my menus near the phone

pens, paper

ipad, phone, kindle. Can’t imagine isolation without them. 
can and bottle koozies.  Beer and soda are barely cold as it is

ibuprophen or Tylenol 

What I wish I had:

an insulated coffee cup

More one dollar bills. 

Patience😁

Also, have a talk about what you would do if one tested positive.  You have to make a decision in a split second whether you want to separate or stay together.   Make sure there aren’t things you are sharing that you would both need. (Like toothpaste)

This is what the hallway looked like for 19 hours after I checked in.  More rooms occupied since then. I found it funny in a sad way.  They just can’t keep up but bless the hearts of the guys who are carrying food trays down a hallway that they don’t want to go down.  A tip once in awhile will be appreciated. I grabbed a few dollar bills when I left our first room.  I think my husband will have to find a way to get me more money. 

E75C50DD-E141-4533-A9CB-451F47D49F78.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, conwakr said:

By the way OP,  I'm from "up north" also and it's frigid, cold and monochromatic shades of black and white and has been for days on end except the lake....it's still blueish except close to shore where there it also is monochromatic. 

I’m glad I’m missing that!  

• Like 2

Can your DH send you tip money in an envelope and have it delivered out side your door in the mail area? Did you know if you need a chocolate fix you could get a big bismark or whatever they call it from the Dutch cafe. Its about saucer size with cream filling and covered in chocolate.  Then they also have the best bottle of dark beer in a large bottle with a stopper. Stay sane and don't let the neighbors get you down. It sounds like you are much more upbeat and dealing with what life gives you. 

• Like 2

Riversedge-

From one(almost) retired teacher to another, stay far away from the people on your adjoining balcony.  They sound like the teachers in the faculty room who are always complaining; they are toxic and will do nothing to help you get through this challenging experience.

Request chocolates that they previously left in our pillows every night.

Wishing you birds, whales and dolphins for your daytime entertainment.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Riversedge said:

I met my neighbors on one side of me.  They were on their balcony talking to friends on the walking deck. They were telling their friends that they are demanding to be let out of their room because this is all a conspiracy.   Then they started talking to me and I asked them if they both tested positive.  They said yes.  I asked if they both had both the rapid antigen and rapid pcr tests.  They said they tested positive on both. But then they said they had no symptoms and it wasn’t real as they were coughing constantly.  I found this humorous.  I’m so glad we’re not really sick!

Please, please, please don't let any of these type of people on Rotterdam tomorrow!!  😞 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, zelker said:

Agree about allowing smoking and if I were to be so unfortunate as to land in quarantine anywhere near a smoker so that I couldn’t use the verandah, it would tip me over the edge.  WHAT is HAL thinking by allowing that??!! 

In these unique circumstances, the passengers could talk to each other and come up with a schedule that works for all parties. Maybe the smokers could agree to 10 minutes a top of each hour?

I think reasonable people could work this out.

• Like 5

So sad you are in Quarantine. yet happy you are not seriously ill.  Thank you for sharing your experiences as most likely will cancel our upcoming cruise to Bermuda.  I wonder what would happen if you were 1/2 through the quarantine and it was time to disembark?     I started playing a fun game called Wordle..   it is free and there is one word puzzle a day.   Google Wordle..  Wish you the best..  following along..  keep asking for nice things!!   The nicer soap and lotions from Elemis!!   Hang in there..   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Riversedge said:

My wine and daily silverware.  Luckily one day my wine was delivered in a real glass.  It’s become my favorite isolation possession.  I just can’t drink wine out of a paper cup!

DD224D11-9767-44E5-BFB2-54FAF4AAC056.jpeg

This would break me lol. Must remember to hide silverware,  plate and wine glass under my underwear on our cruise 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My DH just asked if your DH was allowed to go back to your original stateroom after they fumigated it (or whatever they do for "lepers", I think you called it 🤭)?

Also, we wonder if one of us tested positive but the other chose to quarantine anyway (or if both of us tested positive), could we get adjoining staterooms rather than having to share one?  We're going to be on a 35 day cruise in a suite and think we'd likely kill each other in such close quarters for 10 straight days.  Joking.  Not.

Edited by zelker
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, conwakr said:

This would break me lol. Must remember to hide silverware,  plate and wine glass under my underwear on our cruise 🙂 

I already have silverware in my backpack. A new get prepared to cruise item. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, boze9999 said:

Having just finished a two week Panama cruise with some who had to quarantine, I quickly made sure I had two full sets of dishes, glasses and tableware in our suite ready to pack up!

Great idea!  We'll plan to do the same.  And guess the Elemis shampoo or body wash works for dish detergent too. 😉  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Riversedge said:

The numbered days are relevant mentally when you are the one going thru it.  If they don’t get me out mid morning I will lose 11 DAYS of my cruise.  I really don’t care about the nights.  Nothing happens quickly here and they have a lot of people to check out and release.  I could easily lose my 11th sailing day if they take the whole day to release us.  I understand the counting process but it doesn’t make it easier.  

Thank you so much for sharing your story. Consider yourself giving us Public Service Announcements LOL

I think it is important that you share your story, especially for those of us coming on next or sailing soon. You have become my heroine.  Did they at least give you free WiFI?

Very happy to hear you have mild symptoms.

• Like 1

I am hopeful that all of our preparation will be similar to when you carry an umbrella and it doesn’t rain.  (I plan on hoarding silverware and glasses too.). Our Panama Canal cruise leaves 2/13.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, zelker said:

My DH just asked if your DH was allowed to go back to your original stateroom after they fumigated it (or whatever they do for "lepers", I think you called it 🤭)?

Also, we wonder if one of us tested positive but the other chose to quarantine anyway (or if both of us tested positive), could we get adjoining staterooms rather than having to share one?  We're going to be on a 35 day cruise in a suite and think we'd likely kill each other in such close quarters for 10 straight days.  Joking.  Not.

No my DH is in his new room for the rest of the cruise.  It was only 2 doors down from our original cabin.  The good thing was they gave him the keys and he could carry stuff down instead of having to pack everything.  The next person might not be so lucky tho.  I don’t believe they would give you adjoining staterooms but who knows.  They might have to keep rooms open for the next victims.   All the quarantine rooms are in hallways together.  They are Verandahs but not suites. Doubtful you would remain in a suite. We talk a lot on the phone and he’s bored too but it would have been difficult to be in close quarters for that long even tho we usually do everything together.  We would not be happy with each other by the end of 10 days.  It would be survival of the fittest. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, zelker said:

Great idea!  We'll plan to do the same.  And guess the Elemis shampoo or body wash works for dish detergent too. 😉  

It does although I actually travel with ivory dish soap to wash underwear so I have some.  Not normally something someone travels with, lol. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1