P&O compared with Hurtigruten? Anyone know both?

Harry Peterson

An odd question, maybe, and I know they’re very different, but I was wondering if any of the P&O regulars have any experience of Hurtigruten?

Looks very appealing in many ways, and the Susan Calman programmes recently really whetted the appetite.

I know P&O pretty well, but it’s changing fast. Any thoughts please?

Harry

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

An odd question, maybe, and I know they’re very different, but I was wondering if any of the P&O regulars have any experience of Hurtigruten?

Looks very appealing in many ways, and the Susan Calman programmes recently really whetted the appetite.

Harry

The itineraries around the British Isles look interesting and I agree that the Susan Calman programme made the cruise line sound appealing.However a friend who sailed with them to the Northern lights a few years ago said the experience was good but very different to a normal cruise partly because the Norwegian s use the service as a commuter route.Things may be different for a cruise round the UK so when I see my friend tomorrow I will try and find out more information and also find out if she watched Susan Colman

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Harry

That is exactly what we were thinking. Have seen them twice now - once with Jane McDonald and the recent one with Susan Calman. We love the snow and snowy holidays and the cruise looked like a great adventure. It really appealed to us. If you go let us know what you think !

I do know people that have sailed with Hurtigruten. Not sure you can really compare them as it seems to be chalk and cheese. Hurtigruten seem to be more akin to expedition cruising. Quality destination lectures and excursions, good quality food with a Scandinavian emphasis and little by way of entertainment. Of course, they may be tweaking their product with the new ships and UK departures...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Britboys said:

I do know people that have sailed with Hurtigruten. Not sure you can really compare them as it seems to be chalk and cheese. Hurtigruten seem to be more akin to expedition cruising. Quality destination lectures and excursions, good quality food with a Scandinavian emphasis and little by way of entertainment. Of course, they may be tweaking their product with the new ships and UK departures...

Sounds interesting

Certain cruises fit well with a more educational approach 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Britboys said:

As I recall, they were essentially ferry and mail ships with cruising tacked on, but the cruising side looks to be becoming more of a priority. 

Looks rather different from the Carnival-style offering, with a very different customer base looking for different things from a cruise.  Those TV programmes painted a very appealing picture - more research needed, but they could well attract us away from P&O.

• Like 1

We have never cruised with them but we were berthed behind the Maud in September last year in Dover and from the outside it looked a bit dull, rusty and very small (and we like smaller ships). The size will make it perfect for getting into more interesting  ports but I wonder what it’s like in a swell.

We were berthed right behind and from the greater height could look downwards. There seemed to be very few balconies and the ones we could see weren’t big.

I obviously can’t judge the product from the outside of course but for what they charge I had expected something a little more impressive.

• Like 2

We too have decided to explore alternative options and are looking closely at the new Ambassador ship “Ambience” soon to be launched … (yes I know it’s CMV reincarnated!!)

I can’t see it being comparable with Cunard, Celebrity or Saga but it could possibly find a niche in the market somewhere around the current P&O/Princess standard?  
Also it is mainly adults only which is a big attraction.

• Like 1

I spoke with my friend who has been on a Hurtigen cruise and she said that although it was a good experience it was a bit like a glorified ferry.One of Hurtigens newer ships looks more attractive and is probably the one used for the filming of the show with Susan Calman.However I have looked at the cabins on the ship round the UK and they remind me more of ferry cabins than cruise ships! The Itineraries are appealing but I think we will wait for a year or two before booking so we can read other peoples experiences.We shall do the same for the Ambassador cruise line which has some interesting Itineraries.

• Like 1

I suppose we just want an adventure and the ship will not be the main thing in that case. We don't really do the entertainment or talks etc etc so would be more than happy to have a ship that was a travelling log cabin that took us from one amazing experience to another. Not sure if we could afford it though.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 4:03 PM, BestGuessed said:

We too have decided to explore alternative options and are looking closely at the new Ambassador ship “Ambience” soon to be launched … (yes I know it’s CMV reincarnated!!)

I can’t see it being comparable with Cunard, Celebrity or Saga but it could possibly find a niche in the market somewhere around the current P&O/Princess standard?  
Also it is mainly adults only which is a big attraction.

They have announced another ship for 2023. It has regional departures. I like the sound of Newcastle, but I think from what has been said the bigger ships are better for rough seas.

Luxurious new cruise ship to sail from the UK in 2023 - and it may look familiar (msn.com)

Quote The cruise line has said it will reveal details of her maiden voyage later this year, although we know that like Ambiance she will offer a series of no-fly sailings from the UK including departures from ports such as London Tilbury, Newcastle, Dundee, Belfast, Liverpool, Bristol and Falmouth.

Edited by emam
Spelling

The original Hurtigruten voyages came about was that it was a more cost effective way of travelling long distance north or south up the Norwegian coast with government assistance. As opposed to building major roads impassable in the winter  A number of small ships sailed up and down the coast stopping a few times a day and passengers could take their cars on some ships.  Consequently the ambience and type of voyage is not anything like a P&O cruise.  More recently they have expanded into something closer to what cruisers might expect but to more challenging places.

People interested in more rugged off beat sailings might also look at Trinity House cruises on Patricia.  You travel as a  VIPpassenger while they service lighthouses, buoys etc.

Regards John

• Haha 1