I'm so happy I decided not to cruise for my Birthday

Davechipp74

It just seems like the entire cruise industry is not going to have all their stuff together for a while, with constant changes in requirements and cancellations still happening.  I was going to be on a cruise solo for my birthday 1/19, last month my family talked me into doing something else, so for the price of a 7 day cruise with bar program and having to pay double occupancy for being solo, I found a four star resort with no kids and all inclusive for 14 days in Aruba. I love cruises but I dont think I will book one until next winter. 

If you're still paying 100% supplement as a solo cruiser, you're doing it wrong. Right now NCL and RCC are offering 60-70% off the second guest, making solo travel much more affordable. There are deals to be found... you just need to know where to look for them. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

If you're still paying 100% supplement as a solo cruiser, you're doing it wrong. Right now NCL and RCC are offering 60-70% off the second guest, making solo travel much more affordable. There are deals to be found... you just need to know where to look for them. 

I am a solo cruiser and haven't paid any supplement on NCL, except for Encore to Alaska, where I had a Studio cabin...I overpaid there but that was my choice.  I have had either a balcony or front facing oceanview on my other 2 cruises and have an angled balcony booked for next week.  As mentioned, you just need to know where and when to look.  But glad you enjoyed your birthday in Aruba.

• Like 2

We were supposed to be on a 10 day cruise for hubby's birthday beginning 1/19.  We decided not to make the final payment for the same reasons you stated.  We just returned from a 15 day land trip on our own to the Gulf Coast and Florida and had a blast.  We don't regret our decision one bit.  We hope to cruise again and have 3 cruises booked for 2022 - 2023, but there are other ways to travel and have fun besides cruising.  Right now I have no desire to spend $$$ on a cruise with the potential of cancellations, reduced services, and possible quarantines.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Right now I have no desire to spend $$$ on a cruise with the potential of cancellations, reduced services, and possible quarantines.  

Not to mention the possibility of testing positive regardless of vaccine status. A friend was scheduled to cruise today. Her son tested positive. They had insurance so they are out very little monies, but the family is stuck in Michigan right now without a back up plan. 

Until cruise ships can relax the requirements, it is likely ships will continue to sail half full. That is very bad news for anyone who loves cruising.

• Like 5

I canceled a Christmas/New Years cruise I had book as an early birthday trip (1/25), and was watching a B2B that I would be on right now, but also decided against.  So, it was a box of wine for my birthday this year :)  Last year, I did 3 Vegas trips instead of cruising.  I just booked Vegas for Easter weekend, but I'm also holding out hope of doing a B2B cruise in May out of Miami.  If that doesn't happen, then I'll wait until next year

• Like 1

I understand the reluctance to cruise with all the things that could go wrong (cancellations, quarantines, reduced services, etc) during these COVID times.  I have stayed away from cruising for over two years but just broke down last week and booked an NCL cruise for mid-Feb.  Very short notice decision but I saw a solo balcony rate I just couldn't pass-up.  Zero single supplement.  If you are flexible and able to wait to do a last minute booking (I realize not everyone can do that), there are still great solo deals to be had.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MichiganBound said:
16 hours ago, MichiganBound said:

I understand the reluctance to cruise with all the things that could go wrong (cancellations, quarantines, reduced services, etc) during these COVID times.  I have stayed away from cruising for over two years but just broke down last week and booked an NCL cruise for mid-Feb.  Very short notice decision but I saw a solo balcony rate I just couldn't pass-up.  Zero single supplement.  If you are flexible and able to wait to do a last minute booking (I realize not everyone can do that), there are still great solo deals to be had.

As far as I'm concerned solo aft balcony is the only way to cruise, I also book many of my getaways last minute for the deals, and because I have that luxury. 

On 1/30/2022 at 1:25 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Not to mention the possibility of testing positive regardless of vaccine status. A friend was scheduled to cruise today. Her son tested positive. They had insurance so they are out very little monies, but the family is stuck in Michigan right now without a back up plan. 

Until cruise ships can relax the requirements, it is likely ships will continue to sail half full. That is very bad news for anyone who loves cruising.

I love cruising and I'm on a ship right noww. I dont have any issues with the current protocols. I booked this sailing last minute so I was aware of what is going on and any risks folks are talking about. Still decided to go and I am still having a good time. Everyone has their own reasons and decisions to make. I'm glad that I decided to sail. 🌞

• Like 4

We feel really grateful that we were able to spend nearly 40 days on ships in Europe and a crossing in November and December.  Along with 3 weeks in land locations in Portugal, Spain, Italy and Greece it made a great 60+ day trip.

The "restrictions" were a big non-issue.

Wouldn't have given it up for anything. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

We feel really grateful that we were able to spend nearly 40 days on ships in Europe and a crossing in November and December.  Along with 3 weeks in land locations in Portugal, Spain, Italy and Greece it made a great 60+ day trip.

The "restrictions" were a big non-issue.

Wouldn't have given it up for anything. 

Wow! Sounds amazing. 

1 minute ago, blueslily said:

Wow! Sounds amazing. 

It was.  After sitting home for nearly 20 months (and frankly, doing fine with it) we felt it was time to get out and about again.  And the "restrictions" that so many complain about were, for us at least, a non-issue. 

2 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

It was.  After sitting home for nearly 20 months (and frankly, doing fine with it) we felt it was time to get out and about again.  And the "restrictions" that so many complain about were, for us at least, a non-issue. 

Yep, non-issue for me right now also. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blueslily said:

I love cruising and I'm on a ship right noww. I dont have any issues with the current protocols. I booked this sailing last minute so I was aware of what is going on and any risks folks are talking about. Still decided to go and I am still having a good time. Everyone has their own reasons and decisions to make. I'm glad that I decided to sail. 🌞

So glad you are happy on a ship right now. I’m currently on Maui where I will remain for the next four months. I’m much more comfortable with no worries about close contact quarantine. Of course, a 120 day world voyage would cost me significantly less, but like you said it’s all about risk management. Enjoy the rest of your cruise!! 🙂

10's of thousands of passengers cruise each week. (We are some of them). And have had wonderful experiences being back on cruise ships since the restart on multiple cruise lines. And now, it's just about time to get the suitcases back out again for our next cruise.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

So glad you are happy on a ship right now. I’m currently on Maui where I will remain for the next four months. I’m much more comfortable with no worries about close contact quarantine. Of course, a 120 day world voyage would cost me significantly less, but like you said it’s all about risk management. Enjoy the rest of your cruise!! 🙂

Enjoy Maui. I guess we all choose what we worry about. I try not to worry too much when on vacation. On this ship right now, it's hard to worry about a close contact quarantine. Passenger count is so low. We all have plenty space to enjoy. 😁