Rhine water levels 2022 and similar topics

notamermaid

5 hours ago, OwenSmith said:

We picked this cruise because of the itinerary, not the price. Charge me what it costs to do it properly, I can afford it.

As you are a novice to river cruising, you were probably not aware of every little thing included with each cruise company.  “Live and learn”, as the saying goes, has unfortunately applied to you. 😢  You now know why people choose APT, Scenic and Tauck, etc. 

5 hours ago, OwenSmith said:

We picked this cruise because of the itinerary, not the price. Charge me what it costs to do it properly, I can afford it.

That may be fine for you, but they have a price point for their clientele, who may not be prepared to pay more.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Port Power said:

As you are a novice to river cruising, you were probably not aware of every little thing included with each cruise company.

This is my 6th river cruise, I'm not a novice. I've been on Noble Caledonian, APT, Scenic, and Riviera as well as this. I've also done two Viking Ocean cruises. This cruise was mis-represented by Great Rail Journeys in my opinion, but that's a digression from Rhine water levels.

Anyway we're now docked 2km downstream from Cologne.

50 minutes ago, OwenSmith said:

This is my 6th river cruise, I'm not a novice. I've been on Noble Caledonian, APT, Scenic, and Riviera as well as this. I've also done two Viking Ocean cruises. This cruise was mis-represented by Great Rail Journeys in my opinion, but that's a digression from Rhine water levels.

Anyway we're now docked 2km downstream from Cologne.

My apologies,  I didn't mean to offend.  As you are new to Cruise Critic and from your comments, I thought you were new to river cruising as well.  However, I appreciate your point is as you have posted above: misrepresentation. 🙂

3 hours ago, OwenSmith said:

This cruise was mis-represented by Great Rail Journeys in my opinion, but that's a digression from Rhine water levels.

The charters of river cruise ships by companies that offer these kind of tours is certainly an interesting aspect and may be worth discussing in a thread that is a kind of review or similar. I have seen the offers of Great Rail Journeys and a few years back happened to travel on the same Thalys train as a tour group on their way to Switzerland. We all travelled First Class.

3 hours ago, OwenSmith said:

We're at the one furthest downstream on that map.

Cologne embankment is verrrry long. I found that out with my own feet when I went to see a new river cruise ship docked there. The return walk became a tram ride. Tram and/or U-Bahn is not too far from the embankment, it safes a bit of time but I cannot remember details.

Cologne is a fabulous city to explore. Big, crowded, loud and dirty like all big cities can be, but highly interesting. Wonder if the Roman-Germanic museum is open again?

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
added info

I spoke privately to the cruise director, she admits she has an incomplete picture. All they know is at 16:30 yesterday the Cologne authorities said we can't dock where we should have done (she doesn't know what mooring that was) and the only thing they could offer is this one. It's not the distance that's the problem as it's a very pleasant stroll along the river (I did it), it's the fact we have to leave at 11:45 which has dramatically curtailed the excursions in Cologne.

There are plenty of other large river cruise ships docked much closer to the centre of Cologne, including a sister ship Amadeus Queen which has the same draft as us. But there are some empty berths. I suspect a specific problem with the berth we were meant to be at.

Brief update: Kaub gauge stable, at 104cm. New forecast suggests a downward trend that will mean the level leaves the 100 figures during the night with a drop to 90 tomorrow. Thursday figures in the 90cm to 80cm range.

Where is the rain for my neighbour's tomatoes?? Please, please.

notamermaid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tazlover said:

I see my ship Amaserena is not moving from Basel, heading to Amsterdam. We are supposed to board on September 19. Fingers crossed there will be rain before then 

It's 7 days from Basel to Amsterdam. Amaserana could do that trip three times between now and your embarkation date, so it depends what she's scheduled to be doing.

Edited by OwenSmith

Just now, Host Jazzbeau said:

We used to call it "Two Buck Chuck" – 50% inflation for plonk!

I see. It is chuck like in throw away. Such a nice word collection does not exist in German I think. Cheap wine is "Gesöff", derived from "saufen", that is a slightly negative term for animals drinking or a negative term for hard drinking (of alcohol) of humans. Or "Pennerwein", the cheap stuff for hobos.

Seriously though, that wine was very good for the price.

Ehhm, where were we? Ah, yes. Docking locations.

notamermaid

Just now, OwenSmith said:

I spoke privately to the cruise director, she admits she has an incomplete picture. All they know is at 16:30 yesterday the Cologne authorities said we can't dock where we should have done (she doesn't know what mooring that was) and the only thing they could offer is this one.

The harbour master rules, that is an important thing to remember. Unfortunately, it was a location further away for you then. I hope you were able to enjoy the short time you had in Cologne. I enjoyed the stroll along the embankment when I was there.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Cannot resist - here is a little quiz. Or at least an usual occurrence that perhaps will make you ask yourself: "how did it work"?

We know that for several days in August the long, 135m river cruise ships, could not sail the Rhine Gorge. The barges and tankers did sail as they are constructed differently and sail with reduced load. But on 17 August just one river cruise ship sailed through when the level at Kaub gauge was at only 34cm!

It is difficult, but if you have been paying a lot of attention within the last 30 posts, you may have spotted a hint...

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

I see. It is chuck like in throw away. Such a nice word collection does not exist in German I think. Cheap wine is "Gesöff", derived from "saufen", that is a slightly negative term for animals drinking or a negative term for hard drinking (of alcohol) of humans. Or "Pennerwein", the cheap stuff for hobos.

Seriously though, that wine was very good for the price.

Ehhm, where were we? Ah, yes. Docking locations.

notamermaid

Actually no, I believe it is 'Chuck' as a nickname for somebody named 'Charles.'

https://www.findmeabrewery.com/two-buck-chuck/

24 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Cannot resist - here is a little quiz. Or at least an usual occurrence that perhaps will make you ask yourself: "how did it work"?

We know that for several days in August the long, 135m river cruise ships, could not sail the Rhine Gorge. The barges and tankers did sail as they are constructed differently and sail with reduced load. But on 17 August just one river cruise ship sailed through when the level at Kaub gauge was at only 34cm!

It is difficult, but if you have been paying a lot of attention within the last 30 posts, you may have spotted a hint...

notamermaid

Is it technically 'sailing' if the ship in question is riding on another ship?

Just now, Host Jazzbeau said:

Is it technically 'sailing' if the ship in question is riding on another ship?

Ah, you are thinking in the right direction I see. I was wondering that myself. Not sure. So let us say she could not sail herself but was sailed alongside another ship.

notamermaid

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

notamermaid

Are you referring to MS Alisa being pushed from Serbia by the Schubboot Argo?  Alisa's draft is given as only 1.41m on Binnenschifferforum.  I wonder if that will be her draft when fully outfitted. Maybe she needs even less depth now as she just came from the shipyard.  34cm on the Pegel at Kaub should give them 1.46m in the channel - doesn't leave much safety margin. Argo is listed at 1.2m

1 hour ago, RDVIK2016 said:

Are you referring to MS Alisa being pushed from Serbia by the Schubboot Argo?  Alisa's draft is given as only 1.41m on Binnenschifferforum.  I wonder if that will be her draft when fully outfitted. Maybe she needs even less depth now as she just came from the shipyard.  34cm on the Pegel at Kaub should give them 1.46m in the channel - doesn't leave much safety margin. Argo is listed at 1.2m

But based on all the maritime engineering education we have been getting here, whether she's being pushed from behind [= much greater than 135m length total] or the side [= much wider channel required] – how does this work in such low water???

5 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Actually no, I believe it is 'Chuck' as a nickname for somebody named 'Charles.'

https://www.findmeabrewery.com/two-buck-chuck/

@notamermaid Chuck has many meanings/usages in American English. Much like a four letter word that rhymes with it. 

In addition to the Charles Shaw wine “two buck chuck,” there is “throw it away/trash it” chuck, the “throw it ball to me” chuck, in the plural there is the basketball footwear “Chucks,” the “part of the drill which holds the bit” chuck, the “cheap cut of meat” chuck, and the “result of mal de mer” up chuck.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

@notamermaid Chuck has many meanings/usages in American English. Much like a four letter word that rhymes with it. 

In addition to the Charles Shaw wine “two buck chuck,” there is “throw it away/trash it” chuck, the “throw it ball to me” chuck, in the plural there is the basketball footwear “Chucks,” the “part of the drill which holds the bit” chuck, the “cheap cut of meat” chuck, and the “result of mal de mer” up chuck.

Not to mention the age-old question about "how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood"...

• Like 1

Now you know how cockney rhyming slang works you’ve worked out the secret. My dad, because of the Royal Navy a much traveled man used to repeat this often about the U.K. and the USA we are ‘two great nations separated by our language. 

How other Nationalities learn it is amazing.

Edited by Canal archive