Missing arrival and departure times Aurora, Mediterranean

Car painter

5 minutes ago, Car painter said:

I’m sorry, I never named the ship in my original post which is Aurora.   We haven’t paid the balance yet and are unlikely to if the itinerary isn’t confirmed.   

Well the timings are there in my post above.  Where were you expecting to see the ports?  They should be on your booking receipt>

Can I ask what is port mapper and is it any more reliable than many other sites which list future cruise itineraries, (e.g. ports of call, and the crew site which lists cruises and their itineraries)?  My understanding is that they are not always up to date and can have a lot of omissions or errors.  Surely in these days any cruise could easily be altered up to departure and there have always been minor itinerary changes after sailing, though admittedly big changes would be decided before sailing, with cruise lines probably needing to allow cancellations in those cases.  My understanding is that ports are booked a couple of years in advance, though of course changes can take place.

If there is something called cruise mapper that is more reliable than other sites regards the up to date info about port bookings by cruise lines, I would appreciate information about that.  I have not previously heard of cruise mapper though.

Edited by tring

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2022 at 3:34 PM, Car painter said:

Hi, I’ve been asked to pay the balance of our cruise to the Med leaving on May 5th but I have noticed that there are no arrivals or departure times on Port Mapper.   Does this mean none of these ports in the itinerary are confirmed? 

We are on the long cruise on Aurora that has been put back from leaving Southampton on 20th Feb to 28th Feb. It is due back at Southampton on 1st April (they have cut several of our ports hence delayed departure and reduction from 41 to 32 days). We still have no scheduled sailing time from Southampton on 28th Feb, but I would assume from 1700 as a minimum (maybe far later). 

Usually, on every ship we have been on out of Southampton, we have floated back to the dock early morning around 6.30 - 7am.  As our cruise timings are not yet known (and we go in just under 3 weeks), it may be that the 1st April departure time will not be listed until early / mid March. They then have a whole ship to disembark, and clean, ready for the same day departure.  It will be interesting to see how rapidly they can turn it round that day. Perhaps we are sailing at reduced capacity (quite possible), and those empty cabins will be ready and waiting for your cruise.

Departure is usually late afternoon 5-6pm.

On our cruise we only have rough port timings - eg arrival early morning -departure late afternoon etc. No exact timings. Although the port trips give a good indication. The bulk of our trips start at 0830. The only later one is the Azores with the trip at 2:30 - so I think we don't dock there until mid-day. So if you have booked ships excursions, look on your manage my booking at the trips. There is an excellent calendar facility where you can see the whole itinerary and port days. Each trip will be on there and have the planned trip departure time listed against it. That may help.  

On 1/31/2022 at 6:46 PM, tring said:

Can I ask what is port mapper and is it any more reliable than many other sites which list future cruise itineraries, (e.g. ports of call, and the crew site which lists cruises and their itineraries)?  My understanding is that they are not always up to date and can have a lot of omissions or errors.  Surely in these days any cruise could easily be altered up to departure and there have always been minor itinerary changes after sailing, though admittedly big changes would be decided before sailing, with cruise lines probably needing to allow cancellations in those cases.  My understanding is that ports are booked a couple of years in advance, though of course changes can take place.

If there is something called cruise mapper that is more reliable than other sites regards the up to date info about port bookings by cruise lines, I would appreciate information about that.  I have not previously heard of cruise mapper though.

Hi. Cruise Mapper is an excellent App in that you can search by ship and it shows all upcoming 'planned' itineraries, ship info, deck plans, ship history and also shows the ships current location. But yes, things do change, so the itinerary is planned, not written in stone. Our cruise on 28th Feb is not even shown, it shows Aurora not coming into service again until 1st April for example.

3 hours ago, Gizmo19 said:

Hi. Cruise Mapper is an excellent App in that you can search by ship and it shows all upcoming 'planned' itineraries, ship info, deck plans, ship history and also shows the ships current location. But yes, things do change, so the itinerary is planned, not written in stone. Our cruise on 28th Feb is not even shown, it shows Aurora not coming into service again until 1st April for example.

Thanks that is what I thought - it is just another way to look up planned cruises, and those sites are often out of date (Aurora not sailing until April is quite a lot out of date of course).

I often try to find the official port authority websites which list the ship expected to dock in their own port.  I find them much more reliable, but even they can be out of date as the ports do not always keep those lists up to date with what is actually booked in at that time and not all ports publish those schedules on their websites anyway.  Accurate port timings is another matter again, as they can be changed, even on the day.  I do find the timings of shore excursions a reasonable guide though, if approx timings of the excursions are published, or perhaps given out by phone from the various cruise line's excursions department. 

On 1/31/2022 at 3:34 PM, Car painter said:

Hi, I’ve been asked to pay the balance of our cruise to the Med leaving on May 5th but I have noticed that there are no arrivals or departure times on Port Mapper.   Does this mean none of these ports in the itinerary are confirmed? 

P&O hardly ever quote specific times, they just say things early morning or late afrernoon, and leave you to guess what times those wllequate to.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

P&O hardly ever quote specific times, they just say things early morning or late afrernoon, and leave you to guess what times those wllequate to.

Would it be better to quote a specific time than, because they might be delayed and than the complaints would be they cannot keep to the times they quoted.