Upgrade that isn’t?

Wavesprite

Just received an upgrade notice for our upcoming cruise.  The room is not an upgrade.  We had a larger balcony that was protected and they moved us to mid ship right at the elevators.

I’ve emailed my planner to decline, but will it make a difference????

14 minutes ago, Wavesprite said:

Just received an upgrade notice for our upcoming cruise.  The room is not an upgrade.  We had a larger balcony that was protected and they moved us to mid ship right at the elevators.

If they moved you to accommodate for quarantine cabins it's highly doubtful you'll get your cabin back.  If you're unhappy with location, perhaps look at available inventory and have an alternate cabin in mind before calling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I also received an "upgrade" from our Caribe balcony on the CB to one mid-ships on the Baja deck. The email stated that you have 48 hours to change it. I went through the chat and was returned to my original cabin the next day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

This happened to us too. 😔 On your upgrade notice does it reference anything about “due to cdc guidelines...”? If so, it’s due to that being a quarantine location and being moved back isn’t possible. In the end, it worked out for us after being moved to the stern in an uncovered balcony “their kind upgrade” to working with my PVP and ending up with a mini-suite upgrade with our beloved extended balcony midship. If it’s just a general upgrade, definitely decline the offer. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I received an "upgrade" today with no notification!!! I found out by accident as I was trying to see if the medallion app would behave I noticed the room number had been changed.

They had moved me from my favorite quiet balcony place near the stern, to a balcony that had a connecting room door and was directly opposite the panoramic lifts. That to me was a severe downgrade to a busy noisy location with the added detriment of noise coming through a connecting door. IMHO connected rooms should be for family members or close friends.

It took a while to get this sorted out and moved back to the balcony room I originally booked.. Last person I spoke to said they could no longer find a place in the computer system to mark a booking as no location upgrade.

Edited by brisalta
  • Thanks 1

On 1/31/2022 at 12:08 PM, beg3yrs said:

Definitely call, NOW. Waiting for your PVP to get around to reading an email is fraught with peril. 😱

I have only once had my assigned PVP contact me. That was after I had attempted to book and my FCD needed applying. They did not offer to work with me with my booking!!! The problem had been solved by a roving PVP who answered the phone because my assigned PVP was not.

3 hours ago, brisalta said:

I received an "upgrade" today with no notification!!! I found out by accident as I was trying to see if the medallion app would behave I noticed the room number had been changed.

They had moved me from my favorite quiet balcony place near the stern, to a balcony that had a connecting room door and was directly opposite the panoramic lifts. That to me was a severe downgrade to a busy noisy location with the added detriment of noise coming through a connecting door. IMHO connected rooms should be for family members or close friends.

It took a while to get this sorted out and moved back to the balcony room I originally booked.. Last person I spoke to said they could no longer find a place in the computer system to mark a booking as no location upgrade.

That is EXACTLY what happened to us!!!  We were moved from the last room on the floor with an angled balcony to the exact room you describe!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seagunthera said:

Same thing happened to me! I was moved from my amazing cabin M105 with a huge balcony and put in a mini-suite with a tiny balcony by the elevators.  They really need to stop doing this or I will think twice about booking again.

When you made the booking did you ask your TA/Princess rep to mark your booking that you would not accept an upgrade?

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 7:02 PM, Wavesprite said:

A lot of people need to tick  "no upgrades".  It should be realised that an upgrades does not mean moving to a better cabin.  It is about moving from a cabin which the cruise line has given a grade code to a cabin the cruise line has given a higher grade code.  Most people who tick "yes" to upgrades assume they are moving from an ocean view to a balcony cabin etc. this is not what happens in most upgrade situations.

Regards John

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, taznremmy said:

@john watson where do I find the place to tick no upgrades?  I’ve looked ay my profile and don’t see an option.  Thanking you in advance. 

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't one. I've also read that "mega upgrades only" could be designated, as well. Don't know if that's still a thing or it's something a PVP/TA could put in notes.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, taznremmy said:

@john watson where do I find the place to tick no upgrades?  I’ve looked ay my profile and don’t see an option.  Thanking you in advance. 

There isn't a box to click when you purchase from their site. When I select, "I'll choose my stateroom" and pay my fare in full, it's assumed that I will receive the stateroom for which I paid.  When I explained this to the Princess rep (after being on hold for an hour), it was agreed that Princess should change this feature on their site and my complaint was noted. At an absolute MINIMUM, Princess should give the customer 48 hours to accept the offer (as opposed to decline it) when they pull these shenanigans.  I will think twice now before I pick Princess over Celebrity due to this policy and the insane amount of time spent to correct this "upgrade".

5 hours ago, caribill said:

When you made the booking did you ask your TA/Princess rep to mark your booking that you would not accept an upgrade?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, taznremmy said:

I received an “upgrade” , but I’m doing a B2B and now have to change cabins between cruises.  Sent an email, and still no response.  Tired of wasting my life on hold with their so called customer service.

Call at 6AM and select "make a new reservation"...you'll get through;-). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There isn't a box to click when you purchase from their site.

Which is why I said: "did you ask your TA/Princess rep to mark your booking that you would not accept an upgrade?"

If you make the booking online by yourself, you must then call Princess to ask that the proper option is checked.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crawford said:

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't one. I've also read that "mega upgrades only" could be designated, as well. Don't know if that's still a thing or it's something a PVP/TA could put in notes.

I believe the term which you need is "meta upgrade only"

Regards John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

When II will think twice now before I pick Princess over Celebrity due to this policy and the insane amount of time spent to correct this "upgrade".

The problem with your attempt at a solution is that the practice of upgrading people randomly without prior notice is an industry standard policy. All cruise lines do it but you do not find out until it happens to you. If you read the small print in the contract it is amazing what cruise lines are allowed to do.  They only need to house you in a cabin of the grade you have contracted either direct or through a travel agent.  If you book a ten night cruise with six ports of call they may not call at any ports whatsoever prior to returning to the original port. This would be down to safety and hurricanes etc.

Regards John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, caribill said:

Which is why I said: "did you ask your TA/Princess rep to mark your booking that you would not accept an upgrade?"

If you make the booking online by yourself, you must then call Princess to ask that the proper option is checked.

I did not know that was their policy! That's ridiculous to expect customers to call after selecting a cabin when hold times are at an all time high (which is why I will think long and hard before selecting Princess over Celebrity, at least until they get it together).

4 hours ago, john watson said:

The problem with your attempt at a solution is that the practice of upgrading people randomly without prior notice is an industry standard policy. All cruise lines do it but you do not find out until it happens to you. If you read the small print in the contract it is amazing what cruise lines are allowed to do.  They only need to house you in a cabin of the grade you have contracted either direct or through a travel agent.  If you book a ten night cruise with six ports of call they may not call at any ports whatsoever prior to returning to the original port. This would be down to safety and hurricanes etc.

Regards John

I've sailed on dozens of cruises and this is a first. I guess I've been lucky (until now).