Oceania/Amex promotion

Vineyard View

1 hour ago, CintiPam said:

Do any of these Oceania AMEX promotions ever apply to Delta SkyMiles AMEX credit cards?

Generally, they do not apply to co-branded AMEX cards....they even have different promotions for different AMEX cards - ie. the current promotion on AMEX blue cards but not on Platinum...

7 hours ago, basor said:

Generally, they do not apply to co-branded AMEX cards....they even have different promotions for different AMEX cards - ie. the current promotion on AMEX blue cards but not on Platinum...

And don't confuse Amex Platinum ($695 annual fee, except for the Schwab and Morgan Stanley versions) with the Amex Delta Platinum card.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau
fixed wrong co-brand bank
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, basor said:

And different promotions for different platinum card holders…

My wife, whose platinum AmEx is an “additional card” to mine, received the Oceania offer last December (spend $800, get $250 back, I think), but I didn’t. Fortunately, we are both on the same reservation, so could still take advantage of it.

Just booked an Oceania cruise with Amex Plat - got notified that since I spent $800+ with Oceania I got 25000 membership rewards.  Think I preregistered although I don't remember doing it.  

Edited by zaccaggie

On 1/31/2022 at 8:28 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

I have gotten the Amex Cruise Privileges benefit many times, and never booked through Amex Travel.  My TA has an Amex connection that allows her to use this program, and I believe many others do as well.

But you have to do the math.  Is the Amex Platinum card's 1.25% cash back [if deposited in a Schwab account] plus $300 better than the Costco Visa card's 3% cash back?  As the cruise cost goes up, you reach a point where the Costco Visa wins.  [And of course you can use either card at any Travel Agent.]

Amex Schwab cut 1.25 down to 1.1 few months ago. I transferred a ton of point before devaluation.

On 1/31/2022 at 10:11 PM, Cruzin Terri said:

I have always managed to get the Cruise Privileges benefits by booking through my Travel Agent.  I have never booked through the platinum travel service and always gotten the benefits.

However, the benefits cannot be combined with either Virtuosso or Signature consortium benefits.  It is one or the other.

Terri

Is your TA AMEX-affiliated, as another poster suggested?

On 1/31/2022 at 5:47 PM, Vineyard View said:

Thank you. It just came in the mail. Valid until 2/18/22. We are not Platinum, but Gold travel and it was addressed to me specifically. 

So was the offer you received the $250/800 offer, or something else?

I have that offer, and it originally expired 1/30 but has been extended to 2/18, which matches the date you have. But it's unusual for them to do a mailing abut these offers. Did you have to load it to your card under AMEX Offers?

Hi what offer are you referring? I'm close to final payment. It would be nice to get some cash back. I did original one with 240 cash back but it would be nice if they added another.

My TA gets wine tasting added. Her company had promo of 400 obc which was better than amex 300.

5 minutes ago, thepla said:

Hi what offer are you referring? I'm close to final payment. It would be nice to get some cash back. I did original one with 240 cash back but it would be nice if they added another.

My TA gets wine tasting added. Her company had promo of 400 obc which was better than amex 300.

There is another thread talking about an AMEX Offer of $250 back when you spend $800 that came out in October. Presumably that is what you are talking about? My post before yours asked the OP to elaborate on what offer they were talking about, since they had not been back to clarify.

8 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

Is your TA AMEX-affiliated, as another poster suggested?

The TA does not need to be AMEX affiliated......just needs to know to how to go online to the AMEX cruise privilege line and get the proper code.  The TA I use is not an AMEX affiliated agency and I have received the AMEX OBC, wine tasting etc. on all cruises where I qualify (did not have another promotion that was not combinable with AMEX)

I'm afraid that this thread is unfixably mixing two different Amex offers.  I thought about trying to separate it into two threads, but it seems impossible at this point.

To reiterate:  (1) the first offer (post #2) is the Amex Cruise Privileges deal that gives Platinum card holders $300 OBC plus some other things on any Oceania cruise – except not combinable with many other offers; (2) the other offer being discussed, which shows up mysteriously in some cards and not others, gives you back a nice amount of money or points if you make a payment of a certain minimum amount – this one is combinable with all other offers and happens immediately when you make said payment.

A caveat:  if you have signed up for the Cruise Privileges deal you must make ALL payments, from deposit through final payment, on the Platinum card.  If you take advantage of one of these other offers on a different card, that will negate the all-Platinum payment requirement and lose that deal.   But frankly, the Cruise Privileges deal isn't that great – if I use my Citi Costco Visa card to pay for the cruise I get 3% back, which is usually more than the Platinum 1% plus $300.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm afraid that this thread is unfixably mixing two different Amex offers.  I thought about trying to separate it into two threads, but it seems impossible at this point.

To reiterate:  (1) the first offer (post #2) is the Amex Cruise Privileges deal that gives Platinum card holders $300 OBC plus some other things on any Oceania cruise – except not combinable with many other offers; (2) the other offer being discussed, which shows up mysteriously in some cards and not others, gives you back a nice amount of money or points if you make a payment of a certain minimum amount – this one is combinable with all other offers and happens immediately when you make said payment.

Actually, I think there may be three offers. There's the Platinum-only deal (although at least one person said that it did not have to be paid for with a Platinum card), the $250/800 AMEX Offer (which has its own thread), and the offer that the OP wrote about but never came back to clarify. It's possible that the OP was talking about the AMEX Offer, and the 2/18 expiration date certainly matches the current date (it had been 1/30), but it's pretty much unheard of for them to do a mailing about an AMEX Offer, and especially since as you say not everyone gets it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, basor said:

The TA does not need to be AMEX affiliated......just needs to know to how to go online to the AMEX cruise privilege line and get the proper code.  The TA I use is not an AMEX affiliated agency and I have received the AMEX OBC, wine tasting etc. on all cruises where I qualify (did not have another promotion that was not combinable with AMEX)

And did you pay with an AMEX Platinum card or some other AMEX card?

27 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

Actually, I think there may be three offers. There's the Platinum-only deal (although at least one person said that it did not have to be paid for with a Platinum card), the $250/800 AMEX Offer (which has its own thread), and the offer that the OP wrote about but never came back to clarify. It's possible that the OP was talking about the AMEX Offer, and the 2/18 expiration date certainly matches the current date (it had been 1/30), but it's pretty much unheard of for them to do a mailing about an AMEX Offer, and especially since as you say not everyone gets it.

I just noticed a new offer on my Platinum card for NCL:  spend $500 get 12,500 points.  First time I've seen a cruise line offer with a points reward rather than cash – but 12,500 points is supposed to be worth $125, so this is in line with prior offers.  Maybe this is the new normal for these offers, and the prior poster was just lucky in a date overlap that gave both for one payment.  [Last year I got two restaurant offers from Discover, one for $10 back for spending a certain amount and the other for $5 back for spending a lower amount, both repeatable every month for a while – as long as I spent the larger amount, I got both rewards for the same purchase each month.  Not the best computer programming, but it worked for me!]

54 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I just noticed a new offer on my Platinum card for NCL:  spend $500 get 12,500 points.  First time I've seen a cruise line offer with a points reward rather than cash – but 12,500 points is supposed to be worth $125, so this is in line with prior offers. 

In general, if your card has MR points, the offer is for points. If you don't have points, the offer is for cash back. It is very rare to have the same offer in both forms on the same card.

You cannot redeem MR points for cash at a penny on the dollar, at least not with the Blue cards that I have (maybe you can with a Platinum card).

I have a $125/500 offer for NCL expiring 3/20. I don't think it's that new, but if you don't load your offers regularly, it could be new to you.

16 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

In general, if your card has MR points, the offer is for points. If you don't have points, the offer is for cash back. It is very rare to have the same offer in both forms on the same card.

You cannot redeem MR points for cash at a penny on the dollar, at least not with the Blue cards that I have (maybe you can with a Platinum card).

I have a $125/500 offer for NCL expiring 3/20. I don't think it's that new, but if you don't load your offers regularly, it could be new to you.

You can redeem MR points for a penny with the Morgan Stanley Platinum card, and for 1.1 cents with the Schwab card.  I just watched a very informative video comparing these two version of the Platinum card [and advising against the 'vanilla' Platinum card or the invitation-only Goldman Sachs Platinum card]:  https://rumble.com/vpbym1-which-amex-platinum-is-best-in-2021-vanilla-vs.-schwab-vs.-morgan-stanley.html

30 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

You can redeem MR points for a penny with the Morgan Stanley Platinum card, and for 1.1 cents with the Schwab card.  I just watched a very informative video comparing these two version of the Platinum card [and advising against the 'vanilla' Platinum card or the invitation-only Goldman Sachs Platinum card]:  https://rumble.com/vpbym1-which-amex-platinum-is-best-in-2021-vanilla-vs.-schwab-vs.-morgan-stanley.html

You would need to have a brokerage account with one of those firms to have those cards, plus there's the $695 annual fee.

Edited by MisterBill99

1 hour ago, MisterBill99 said:

You would need to have a brokerage account with one of those firms to have those cards, plus there's the $695 annual fee.

The M/S version gives you back your $695 but requires 30K tied up. It also includes a second Platinum with no Annual Fee.

7 hours ago, thepla said:

The M/S version gives you back your $695 but requires 30K tied up. It also includes a second Platinum with no Annual Fee.

The MS free AU will matter when this policy kicks in:

CENTURION® LOUNGE COMPLIMENTARY GUEST ACCESS CHANGES EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 1, 2023

U.S. Platinum Card® and U.S. Business Platinum Card® Members will be charged a $50 USD fee for each guest (or $30 for children aged 2 through 17, with proof of age). U.S. Platinum Card® and U.S. Business Platinum Card® Members will qualify for Complimentary Guest Access for up to two guests per visit after spending $75,000 in eligible purchases on their Card between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2022 and in each calendar year thereafter.

1 hour ago, the mice said:

The MS free AU will matter when this policy kicks in:

CENTURION® LOUNGE COMPLIMENTARY GUEST ACCESS CHANGES EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 1, 2023

U.S. Platinum Card® and U.S. Business Platinum Card® Members will be charged a $50 USD fee for each guest (or $30 for children aged 2 through 17, with proof of age). U.S. Platinum Card® and U.S. Business Platinum Card® Members will qualify for Complimentary Guest Access for up to two guests per visit after spending $75,000 in eligible purchases on their Card between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2022 and in each calendar year thereafter.

That was one of reasons plus basically free AF, well loss of use of 30K so not really free. They issued addional card to my son who is only 13.