Celebrity Move Up

closecruiser

Would anyone like to hear my move up story?  And no, I didn't go to a Penthouse from an inside for a $500 bid!!!

I put in a bid yesterday from a 2C to an FV which was one of the offers listed on the email I received.  Of course, I'm hoping it was accepted as it was not the lowest bid I could have offered.  Happily, I go to my cruise planner this AM to see if anything has happened yet.  Nope, everything is still the same.  Patience is a virtue.

Tonight I had a few minutes and I decided to take another look.  Oh my goodness, when I didn't have a heart attack I think I will make it to 100  and Zenith!!  I had not gotten the FV cabin, still the old one showing, but the total price had gone up $2400!!  WHAT?  First I thought it was another cruise I had booked.  No, it's the same one. 

I took a little while to calm down before I phoned Celebrity.  Some poor guy really earned his money tonight!  He had to look everything up and sure enough it was showing the new elevated price.  This certainly gives new meaning to "Move UP".  He was gone a long time and finally came back and said an error had occurred.  Really?  What if I hadn't discovered it before FP date?  Did every bidder get new elevated prices or was I the only lucky one? Yep, just me.   Something to do with the cruise getting cancelled and then reinstated which actually did happen end of Jan but was already fixed with new document received.  That was his excuse.  You know what I think?  I think they charged me the full price for the FV!!!!  Congratulations Mrs S, you won the FV.  What was your bid again?

So who was the moron who did this? 

It will be fixed in 48 hours.  I would hope so.  Why does it happen in seconds, but it takes 48 hours to fix?  I told him if it wasn't fixed ASAP, I would cancel this cruise and the other 4 we have booked. Colour me not pleased with Celebrity.

Cruisers, if you have a bid in, check your cruise planner daily and not just to see if you won your bid but to see if you also have been another victim of Move Up pricing. 

8 hours ago, TeaBag said:

Would anyone like to hear my move up story?  And no, I didn't go to a Penthouse from an inside for a $500 bid!!!

I put in a bid yesterday from a 2C to an FV which was one of the offers listed on the email I received.  Of course, I'm hoping it was accepted as it was not the lowest bid I could have offered.  Happily, I go to my cruise planner this AM to see if anything has happened yet.  Nope, everything is still the same.  Patience is a virtue.

Tonight I had a few minutes and I decided to take another look.  Oh my goodness, when I didn't have a heart attack I think I will make it to 100  and Zenith!!  I had not gotten the FV cabin, still the old one showing, but the total price had gone up $2400!!  WHAT?  First I thought it was another cruise I had booked.  No, it's the same one. 

I took a little while to calm down before I phoned Celebrity.  Some poor guy really earned his money tonight!  He had to look everything up and sure enough it was showing the new elevated price.  This certainly gives new meaning to "Move UP".  He was gone a long time and finally came back and said an error had occurred.  Really?  What if I hadn't discovered it before FP date?  Did every bidder get new elevated prices or was I the only lucky one? Yep, just me.   Something to do with the cruise getting cancelled and then reinstated which actually did happen end of Jan but was already fixed with new document received.  That was his excuse.  You know what I think?  I think they charged me the full price for the FV!!!!  Congratulations Mrs S, you won the FV.  What was your bid again?

It will be fixed in 48 hours.  I would hope so.  Why does it happen in seconds, but it takes 48 hours to fix?  I told him if it wasn't fixed ASAP, I would cancel this cruise and the other 4 we have booked. Colour me not pleased with Celebrity.

Cruisers, if you have a bid in, check your cruise planner daily and not just to see if you won your bid but to see if you also have been another victim of Move Up pricing. 

Yikes! I put in a bid for a FV, too. Thanks for the warning! Hope you keep us posted when it gets resolved. When is your cruise?

11 hours ago, TeaBag said:

What a SNAFU.

You received an opportunity to make a move up bid for a cruise prior to making a final payment?  That seems very bizarre to me.  I can understand an offer to upgrade from not via the move up bid process.  This is for your April 23 cruise?

Good thing you caught it.  

Yes, it's the April 23 cruise and I was surprised too, to get the email prior to the FP.   Several on the roll call have mentioned getting it.  Maybe it's because the ship is less than half full.

Still not fixed this AM but he did say 48 hours.

I'm impressed jagoffee that you figured out which cruise it was.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2022 at 6:46 PM, Jim_Iain said:

There is a difference between a Perk and an Amenity.   Your original perks will remain the same and points earned will be the original room type.   As for Amenities like Free Laundry, Unlimited Specialty Dining, Bar Setup, Monogrammed PJ's etc that come with the room -  you will get all of these.

If you have been upgraded to RS you don't do booking online you contact shoreside concierge and they will book for you.   You will hear from them about two weeks to 1 day before sailing.   Some are good some are so so.

You can also just ask your Butler or the Retreat hosts to get bookings for you. 

Jim, I am confused.  I just put in a bid to RS from SS.  The fine print on the form states “ Any promotions associated with the original booking will remain in effect. The Upgrade will not be eligible to receive any promotions or benefits that are applicable to the stateroom had it been originally booked at that stateroom category.”

To me that seems like you don’t get the new amenities that are standard with the RS.  Just confused!

thanks,

Bonnie

22 hours ago, bjahil47 said:

Jim, I am confused.  I just put in a bid to RS from SS.  The fine print on the form states “ Any promotions associated with the original booking will remain in effect. The Upgrade will not be eligible to receive any promotions or benefits that are applicable to the stateroom had it been originally booked at that stateroom category.”

To me that seems like you don’t get the new amenities that are standard with the RS.  Just confused!

thanks,

Bonnie

It is a confusing one for all.   The difference is between "Perks" which come with your original Booking and Amenities that come with the room.   In an Upgrade to RS you keep your original perks but get the Ameneties with the room --e.g.  unlimited Specialty Dining, Bar Setup in Room and Laundry.   Your drink package remains the same so if you had a classic you will still have classic but can get free drinks in Retreat Lounge.   Also you internet will remain the same from original booking.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why or how things work with Celebrity but I was shocked recently when I called Flights by Celebrity.    He had no problem cancelling my reservation a week prior to final payment.   He came back and said to give him a minute he had a problem.  

After 10 minutes he returned and said for some reason when he cancelled my flight reservation they "system" was re-pricing my cruise reservation.   He again asked for my patience and said he went to the Revenue desk and she was able to correct the problem.  Next day I checked an price was the same but I had been assigned a cabin on my Guarantee room. 

I kept thinking, How can you trigger a repricing of a cruise when you make or cancel a flight reservation?

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm not sure why or how things work with Celebrity but I was shocked recently when I called Flights by Celebrity.    He had no problem cancelling my reservation a week prior to final payment.   He came back and said to give him a minute he had a problem.  

After 10 minutes he returned and said for some reason when he cancelled my flight reservation they "system" was re-pricing my cruise reservation.   He again asked for my patience and said he went to the Revenue desk and she was able to correct the problem.  Next day I checked an price was the same but I had been assigned a cabin on my Guarantee room. 

I kept thinking, How can you trigger a repricing of a cruise when you make or cancel a flight reservation?

Jim, sometimes I wonder who develops their software and why it does weird things.  Hope you got a cabin you wanted!  My cruise price has decreased a few times.  I now have a lot of OBC.  I’m wondering if I upgrade to a RS will they base the extra cost on what I first paid or will they base it on the reductions in cost?  If I can upgrade based on what I originally paid then it’s the same as my move up bid.

On 2/25/2022 at 8:12 AM, bjahil47 said:

Jim, sometimes I wonder who develops their software and why it does weird things.  Hope you got a cabin you wanted!  My cruise price has decreased a few times.  I now have a lot of OBC.  I’m wondering if I upgrade to a RS will they base the extra cost on what I first paid or will they base it on the reductions in cost?  If I can upgrade based on what I originally paid then it’s the same as my move up bid.

I don't believe they base it on the price you paid as that could be a very difficult algorithm.  Of course I'm not privy to their source code. 

I would think they would base it on increase on total revenue.   In other words if you paid 1,000 and made a $500 bid  and I paid 1,500   and only bid $100,  I would think they would take your bid as it increases revenue total revenue.   

I got upgraded on a Free Zenith Cruise where I only paid the initial price difference of a Veranda to a Sky Suite.