Same cruise but moving cabins

Presto2

We booked a cruise on Ventura what seems like a life time away. We managed to get a great aft cabin at £3382 for a 2 week cruise to the Canary Islands school holidays. Just praying now that it happens !

At the time, the corner aft cabin we wanted was booked  but out of curiosity have just had a look at prices and noticed that it has become available. 

Just wondering if we are able to move cabins at a small cost / any cost or if it will count as another booking. Don't want to do that as the new price is something silly like £2, 630 per person for the same cruise and grade of cabin !!!!!

If we don't move, no big deal as I remember someone on CC sending me nice photos of the balcony we have anyway 

4 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We booked a cruise on Ventura what seems like a life time away. We managed to get a great aft cabin at £3382 for a 2 week cruise to the Canary Islands school holidays. Just praying now that it happens !

At the time, the corner aft cabin we wanted was booked  but out of curiosity have just had a look at prices and noticed that it has become available. 

Just wondering if we are able to move cabins at a small cost / any cost or if it will count as another booking. Don't want to do that as the new price is something silly like £2, 630 per person for the same cruise and grade of cabin !!!!!

If we don't move, no big deal as I remember someone on CC sending me nice photos of the balcony we have anyway 

If available they will let you move cabins no problem whatsoever but they will charge you extra whatever the cost of the new cabin was when you booked.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

If available they will let you move cabins no problem whatsoever but they will charge you extra whatever the cost of the new cabin was when you booked.

Hi, do you mean they will charge the new cost of the cabin. Sorry just checking. If so we will stay put as we have a great deal for that cruise. (The cabin is the same standard as the one we have booked)

14 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Hi, do you mean they will charge the new cost of the cabin. Sorry just checking. If so we will stay put as we have a great deal for that cruise. (The cabin is the same standard as the one we have booked)

As they will refund costs if you change for a cheaper cabin or if there’s a sale on and you will benefit, they will charge the difference for you move to a new cabin no matter what the grade. It’s all about the price to change when you actually change. 

• Thanks 1

I think they will charge the price it would have been when you actually booked the cruise not the price it is today so you may still be getting a good deal....if it's the same grade as the one you have booked there shouldn't be any difference in price.

Out of curiosity what deck/cabin is it....I am tempted to try an aft cabin

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Assuming that you made a Select booking, unless the policy has changed you can change your cabin and will only pay any difference in fares that applied at the time that you made your original booking. The prices quoted today are irrelevant. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have changed cabins before now on P&O long before Covid and the current rule of free transfers and when there used to be a £100 admin charge but because I was booking a higher grade cabin which cost more I was not charged admin fee. With reference to current policy it is very easy to transfer free on Select Fare bookings as long as new cruise is currently on sale. Done it twice this last week once with P&O and once with Cunard.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Presto2 said:

You should be able to switch cabins for no cost if they are the same grade.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

You should be able to switch cabins for no cost if they are the same grade.

We have asked our TA to ask for a change. It isn't a major move but we love those end aft cabins on Ventura / Azura so would be a bonus. If we can't get a swap no problem as the one we have already looks good too 🙂 

22 hours ago, janny444 said:

I think they will charge the price it would have been when you actually booked the cruise not the price it is today so you may still be getting a good deal....if it's the same grade as the one you have booked there shouldn't be any difference in price.

Out of curiosity what deck/cabin is it....I am tempted to try an aft cabin

Not telling ---- ha ha ha

We love aft cabins and have had them on most ships (other than Oceana where we couldn't afford a suite).

It is Ventura / Azura and there are some great aft cabins and the ones on the corner are great. Quiet, private, wrap around the side a bit and look straight down on to the sea. If you look at the deck plan they are about B748 and B749 and similar on deck C. Think Kalos has a video of one he had - think it was B749 - we had similar on Azura and loved it. The other aft cabins without the huge metal beam going through them are great too - just be aware of the beam on some.

We have had F729 twice on Britannia too - loved it.

Other aft cabins have been on Celebrity Silhouette 8353 and Edge was 11720 (I think)

Think we are made for aft cabins 😉

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Not telling ---- ha ha ha

We love aft cabins and have had them on most ships (other than Oceana where we couldn't afford a suite).

It is Ventura / Azura and there are some great aft cabins and the ones on the corner are great. Quiet, private, wrap around the side a bit and look straight down on to the sea. If you look at the deck plan they are about B748 and B749 and similar on deck C. Think Kalos has a video of one he had - think it was B749 - we had similar on Azura and loved it. The other aft cabins without the huge metal beam going through them are great too - just be aware of the beam on some.

We have had F729 twice on Britannia too - loved it.

Other aft cabins have been on Celebrity Silhouette 8353 and Edge was 11720 (I think)

Think we are made for aft cabins 😉

You mean this one :classic_smile:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

We are on Ventura next year and I’d forgotten how dreadful those tiny TV’s were. Have they been upgraded since that video?

I doubt it Selbourne, especially as Carnival must be totally cash strapped after 2 years of covid, and they are very unlikely to want to splash out on new TVs and the probable re-wiring they will require.

Hello Presto. Hope I am not being a prophet of doom but we were on Ventura’s sister (Azura) over Christmas and New Year and all the aft cabins you mention were out of use because they were isolation ones for COVID. Do you know if they have done the same on Ventura? Might be an idea to make some enquiries.

• Thanks 1

Hi well the good news is that we have been able to book the cabin we wanted B748 at no extra cost at all. 🙂 🙂 🙂  Not too worried about the tv --- we will be looking out at the sea (hopefully)

Thanks for the heads up re the cabins' use ---- not sure what to make of that one. Obviously hoping that things will have calmed down by then and had a good deep clean. They will probably be the cleanest cabins on the ship ....

Not really sure what would happen if closer to the time they were not available if we had already paid for the cruise but may be worth us contacting to ask them and have the answer in writing. Am guessing that, as this is an end of August family holiday time cruise the ship will be full ...

If the worst comes to the worse we will have to spend 2 weeks by the sea in Wales in our caravan instead, talking cruises with Mr and Mrs Peter14 and paws 🙂

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, pennib said:

Hello Presto. Hope I am not being a prophet of doom but we were on Ventura’s sister (Azura) over Christmas and New Year and all the aft cabins you mention were out of use because they were isolation ones for COVID. Do you know if they have done the same on Ventura? Might be an idea to make some enquiries.

Thanks - just sent a message to P&O direct to get answers in writing about where we would stand IF the cabin was not available at all. We've just been discussing it and, though we are looking forward to the cruise, we have our caravan and will still have a good holiday 🙂 I suppose we are more worried about any cost implications and where we would stand if the cabin was moved etc etc and we had paid in full and did not want it. That is a whole new thread though ;-)

PS Sorry Sharon, this now mentions the C word - I hope this is allowed as it is on topic. If not, apologies

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Thanks - just sent a message to P&O direct to get answers in writing about where we would stand IF the cabin was not available at all. We've just been discussing it and, though we are looking forward to the cruise, we have our caravan and will still have a good holiday 🙂 I suppose we are more worried about any cost implications and where we would stand if the cabin was moved etc etc and we had paid in full and did not want it. That is a whole new thread though ;-)

I can tell you exactly what will happen.  They will wait until you have paid in full then they will email to say that they appreciate you only want that cabin and do not want to be upgraded but they are upgrading you anyway as they think you'll like their rubbish upgrade cabin better.  When you try to contact them they will refuse to engage with you for nearly 2 months, then they will deign to phone you a week before you are due to sail and say your choices are to transfer to another cruise which has to be chosen within 2 hours or lose 90% of the money they have held for months.

Voice of experience of a previously very loyal customer.  Tread very carefully...

9 hours ago, Pippa04 said:

I can tell you exactly what will happen.  They will wait until you have paid in full then they will email to say that they appreciate you only want that cabin and do not want to be upgraded but they are upgrading you anyway as they think you'll like their rubbish upgrade cabin better.  When you try to contact them they will refuse to engage with you for nearly 2 months, then they will deign to phone you a week before you are due to sail and say your choices are to transfer to another cruise which has to be chosen within 2 hours or lose 90% of the money they have held for months.

Voice of experience of a previously very loyal customer.  Tread very carefully...

That is appalling.  And precisely the sort of behaviour that's stopping us at the moment from booking anything at all with P&O.  We ditched BA for similar reasons and now fly with them only as a very last resort.

Two companies there that used to have the highest of reputations, now both desperately trying to regain the confidence of their customers.

10 hours ago, Pippa04 said:

Most cruise lines will unfortunately try to skew things to their advantage .... they are in business to make money but I have found that some cruise companies are better at trying to put their paying " clients" first...P&O are not one of those companies. That was driven home to me a number of years ago when suddenly Amsterdam port was changed to Rotterdam. At the time I had two cruises booked ....with different cruise lines...  with Amsterdam being the POC. One cruise company immediately offered me the chance to cancel with a full refund ...the other company was hard luck....take it or leave it attitude with no refund/compensation offered....I will let you decide which was the P&O approach.

52 minutes ago, janny444 said:

Most cruise lines will unfortunately try to skew things to their advantage .... they are in business to make money but I have found that some cruise companies are better at trying to put their paying " clients" first...P&O are not one of those companies. That was driven home to me a number of years ago when suddenly Amsterdam port was changed to Rotterdam. At the time I had two cruises booked ....with different cruise lines...  with Amsterdam being the POC. One cruise company immediately offered me the chance to cancel with a full refund ...the other company was hard luck....take it or leave it attitude with no refund/compensation offered....I will let you decide which was the P&O approach.

P&O did refund on those Amsterdam changes - but it took a lot of ‘persuasion’ and effort!

17 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

P&O did refund on those Amsterdam changes - but it took a lot of ‘persuasion’ and effort!

It wasn't for the want of trying....many many phone calls but they didn't budge....the other cruise line immediately offered compensation/OBC or a full refund....absolutely no hassle with them....totally different approach....both cruise lines gave a lasting memory of how they treat their paying clientelle....one good ...one bad.

12 hours ago, Pippa04 said:

You are 100% correct Pippa04.  Similar experience.

P and O customer service is appalling. Are they just 

short staffed or still working from home. Whichever, Paul Ludlow

is not steering a good ship.

11 minutes ago, silkworms said:

You are 100% correct Pippa04.  Similar experience.

P and O customer service is appalling. Are they just 

short staffed or still working from home. Whichever, Paul Ludlow

is not steering a good ship.

Carnival driven profit maximisation, unfortunately. And concentration on the short term driven by the bonus culture. They don’t much care about losing a few customers on the way if they can keep finding new replacements, which they can with pretty competitive pricing.

It’s the Ryanair business model, but it works.