No rapid covid test allowed?

flahagan

2 hours ago, alyssamma said:

Typically the first and third are free...you pay for the second (at least that is how CVS works...not sure about Walgreens...

The 2nd test (Rapid ID Now) is free also...

Going for my third one Friday for my Sunday cruise.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alyssamma said:

NAAT is a technique, not a type of test. PCR and Antigen are the two types of tests. PCR tests often use NAAT.

As others have said, rapid is fine - PCR or Antigen. You can usually get a free rapid Antigen, but a rapid PCR you have to pay for. Regardless, either is acceptable.

Don't worry about NAAT...again, that is just the process the test (usually PCR) will use to determine positive/negative.

So the following second one from Walgreens is okay then from what this thread says?? We are driving to FL and having to schedule a test on the trip about 12 hours in (half way there).  There is a walgreens but they only provide the first 2.

Available tests

• image.png.2a9b68fcbb062aab546f8c16bc9abc2f.png
    Diagnostic Lab Test (PCR)Results time varies†
  • image.png.694636676a670a8e8ca851757427d772.png
    Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW)Results in less than 24 hours
  • image.png.ae8264cf23872766c3fcecaeef634d86.png
    Rapid Antigen Test (BinaxNOW)

5 hours ago, alyssamma said:

Bonus. Not sure why anyone would get the "slow" PCR test then...

Exactly, unless you have unvaxxed kids it really makes no sense.

And, I'm not sure what all the back and forth is about this, the Walgreens Rapid ID Test is accepted.

Like I said before I used it on MSC already!

Capture.JPG

5 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

So the following second one from Walgreens is okay then from what this thread says?? We are driving to FL and having to schedule a test on the trip about 12 hours in (half way there).  There is a walgreens but they only provide the first 2.

Available tests

• image.png.2a9b68fcbb062aab546f8c16bc9abc2f.png
    Diagnostic Lab Test (PCR)Results time varies†
  • image.png.694636676a670a8e8ca851757427d772.png
    Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW)Results in less than 24 hours
  • image.png.ae8264cf23872766c3fcecaeef634d86.png
    Rapid Antigen Test (BinaxNOW)

Yes you are good to go!

See my conformation above.

To confirm we used the Walgreens Rapid Diagnostic ID NOW test (the one in the middle) on Feb 5 boarding Seashore in Miami. 

Also it was free. I think CVS charges if you answer ‘yes” to the question ‘are you taking the test for travel verification’. 

Also the results came back in less than an hour not the ‘advertised’ 24 hours. 

Easy link in your email to get results and print out. Also do a screenshot as back up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TrinaLC said:

To confirm we used the Walgreens Rapid Diagnostic ID NOW test (the one in the middle) on Feb 5 boarding Seashore in Miami. 

Also it was free. I think CVS charges if you answer ‘yes” to the question ‘are you taking the test for travel verification’. 

Also the results came back in less than an hour not the ‘advertised’ 24 hours. 

Easy link in your email to get results and print out. Also do a screenshot as back up. 

Thank you! I notice that now CVS no longer has a question about travel.

On 2/7/2022 at 2:10 PM, flahagan said:

I just got off the phone with MSC, trying to clear up some of my confusion as to which covid tests they accept.  I asked if they accept the rapid ID Now test, as that and the home proctored tests are the only things available where I live and I was told they don't accept ANY rapid test!  My problem is they gave us a 10 AM boarding time this Sunday for the Meraviglia at Port Canaveral and we need a negative test no more than 2 days prior to boarding.  Unfortunately, due to high demand here, the PCR tests are coming with a disclaimer that it may take up to 3 days to get your result.  So I went online and scheduled a home visit from beepermddotcom for Friday morning.  They're offering PCR test with 24-36 hour result window.  This is crazy!

You dont need a PCR test.  Rapid will do.

I used the "red" test about 10 days ago at Walgreen's prior to a Carnival cruise.  There was no charge although I answered that the test was needed for travel.

My current concern is my side-to-side on X then Seashore in April.  It doesn't seem as though X will test me, even if I'm willing to pay, so I'm going to take a BinaxNow test with me and hope I can get it done and that the wifi connection doesn't give out in the middle of the 15-minute wait!

Of course, we don't know what the testing requirements may be by then.  Kind of hoping that those of us who are boosted won't have to pre-test.  Probably just wishful thinking on my part, though.

I think whatever test you do, have a Plan B backup in mind.

We recently did a Celebrity cruise and I booked a test for my GF at the CVS near her house at noon and one at the CVS near my house at noon.  Some CVS stores do PCR only (longer) and others do Antigen (quick) and we needed the quick test.

Maybe 45 minutes before my GF's test was scheduled, CVS cancelled her appointment.  I told her to start driving to my house to beg and plead with the store near me to let her take it.  I'm about 30 minutes from her.

At first, they refused, but after some polite discussion, they agreed to let her do the test w/me, even though she didn't have an appointment for that CVS location.

Our Plan B was to get it done in Miami, but that could have been stressful and/or expensive, so glad we got it done here.

As a side note, we did both get covid, despite all of the testing and being fully vaccinated and boosted.  Mild symptoms for me and she was asymptomatic.  Flights home also cancelled, so a few twists and turns here and there.

I do have 2 BinaxNow tests (the proctored ones) at home (that don't expire until later this year).  That was to be my backup plan if they cancelled my test last minute.  As long as I can get free tests at a pharmacy near me, I plan on doing that but will have the proctored tests available, just in case.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

Of course, we don't know what the testing requirements may be by then.  Kind of hoping that those of us who are boosted won't have to pre-test.  Probably just wishful thinking on my part, though.

LOL, I'm in the same "boat", although with RCCL instead of X. B2B (ship to ship?) in April...hoping no need for pre-test come then...

• Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 1:08 PM, Stockjock said:

I think whatever test you do, have a Plan B backup in mind.

We recently did a Celebrity cruise and I booked a test for my GF at the CVS near her house at noon and one at the CVS near my house at noon.  Some CVS stores do PCR only (longer) and others do Antigen (quick) and we needed the quick test.

Maybe 45 minutes before my GF's test was scheduled, CVS cancelled her appointment.  I told her to start driving to my house to beg and plead with the store near me to let her take it.  I'm about 30 minutes from her.

At first, they refused, but after some polite discussion, they agreed to let her do the test w/me, even though she didn't have an appointment for that CVS location.

Our Plan B was to get it done in Miami, but that could have been stressful and/or expensive, so glad we got it done here.

As a side note, we did both get covid, despite all of the testing and being fully vaccinated and boosted.  Mild symptoms for me and she was asymptomatic.  Flights home also cancelled, so a few twists and turns here and there.

So the rapid antigen test at CVS is good to get on the ship I take it.  I think this is what we are going to do.

4 hours ago, kompera said:

Seems that the antigen test is only for Schengen countries. RT-PCR is for US and non-Schengen countries, according to the MSC health and safety page. 

Hello, I have just re read and under Mediterranean it states antigen or pcr tests for UK and non schengen areas

On 2/12/2022 at 5:14 PM, ready2cruzagain said:

That is my repeated night after night nightmare, a positive test. 

I Purchased and also received for free the in home Covid tests.  While they are not good for the cruise perhaps they are good so you don’t stress  too much over if you might be positive when you are tested 2 days before and in the terminal. I will probably use one a week before my cruise. 

Alright, time for a new spin on this popular thread!  Our family will be on Seashore for Spring Break.  My children are 11, 9, and 4.  The 11- and 9-year-olds are fully vaccinated, where the 4-year-old is, of course, not.  

I've read the rules on MSC's site, and worse in their FAQs, multiple times.  It's clear that as the pandemic situation has morphed, so too has their language.  The problem is they have added bits and pieces here and there instead of cleanly rewriting the entire thing.

So it's perfectly clear that my 4 year old will need a negative PCR within 3 days of departure.  Cool.  But what about the older kids?  There is one line that clearly states: "Requirements for fully vaccinated guests under 12 years old are the same as testing requirements for guests 12 years and older who are fully vaccinated." 

Does everyone agree that my vaccinated kids follow vaccinated rules, and need any kind of negative test within 2 days of departure, while my youngest will need a PCR within 3?  Wouldn't it be a hoot if I got the older kids PCR tests at 3 days out only to have them denied at boarding because they are vaccinated, making the test too early  😂

Also, any ideas for PCR tests that will actually return in time?  

6 hours ago, AngryBirdah said:

Alright, time for a new spin on this popular thread!  Our family will be on Seashore for Spring Break.  My children are 11, 9, and 4.  The 11- and 9-year-olds are fully vaccinated, where the 4-year-old is, of course, not.  

I've read the rules on MSC's site, and worse in their FAQs, multiple times.  It's clear that as the pandemic situation has morphed, so too has their language.  The problem is they have added bits and pieces here and there instead of cleanly rewriting the entire thing.

So it's perfectly clear that my 4 year old will need a negative PCR within 3 days of departure.  Cool.  But what about the older kids?  There is one line that clearly states: "Requirements for fully vaccinated guests under 12 years old are the same as testing requirements for guests 12 years and older who are fully vaccinated." 

Does everyone agree that my vaccinated kids follow vaccinated rules, and need any kind of negative test within 2 days of departure, while my youngest will need a PCR within 3?  Wouldn't it be a hoot if I got the older kids PCR tests at 3 days out only to have them denied at boarding because they are vaccinated, making the test too early  😂

Also, any ideas for PCR tests that will actually return in time?  

Yes I agree with you. 2 days rapid for older kids, longer test for 4 year old.

Wow, spring break, this is where they will follow the vax unvax policy well. Too bad the older kids will have to follow unvax rules.