Major Update from NCL on Masks

colecandler

For cruises with embarkation dates beginning March 1, 2022:

Our cruises will operate with 100% vaccination of crew and guests age five and over, therefore face coverings are not required while onboard. However, we recognize the added protections provided when wearing a mask covering and recommend that all guests do so onboard when indoors, except when actively eating or drinking, or seated at a table in a dining setting, or when in their stateroom. Mask coverings are also recommended outdoors when physical distancing of at least six (6) feet cannot be maintained. The decision to wear a mask covering when onboard is at the discretion of each guest.

The next major step would be to give the same option to the crew. Especially, the folks who work the outside / pool areas. "The decision to wear a mask covering when onboard is at the discretion of each guest."...careful now, seems like common sense may be prevailing.

Funny how you see near full stadiums (indoor/outdoor), concerts (indoors/outdoors), with people elbow to elbow...screaming, chanting, etc...and the large majority without masks....and yet some cruise goers get bent out of shape if they are within an arm's reach of someone without a mask.  

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, mitghmbe said:

The next major step would be to give the same option to the crew. Especially, the folks who work the outside / pool areas. "The decision to wear a mask covering when onboard is at the discretion of each guest."...careful now, seems like common sense may be prevailing.

I would love to see that.  I find it very awkward to be unmasked anywhere while the staff is still wearing them.

"The decision to wear a mask covering when onboard is at the discretion of each guest"

Hallelujah!  And yes, the crew should also have the option of going maskless.  I haven't been able to locate any study where a mask actually reduces or prevents the spread.  But if it makes you feel safer, please feel free to wear one.

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, steveknj said:

So of course we are on a cruise that embarks Feb 27th, so I suppose we will be wearing masks.  Oh well, bad luck for us.

We’re on the Feb 16th Pearl…I’m guessing we are SOL too…

2F6BEEAD-A0DA-4F8C-940C-F3C7D6FFC3A8.png

Edited by kismet618

16 minutes ago, steveknj said:

So of course we are on a cruise that embarks Feb 27th, so I suppose we will be wearing masks.  Oh well, bad luck for us.

They may very well change on the 1st.

This is what happened on the Getaway when they removed the mask requirement (the prior one) when we left the EU.  They made it clear that masks were recommended but optional for the balance of the crossing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe this change now allows unvaccinated kids under 5 on the ship with no mask requirement, right?  So any cruise you take would now not be 100% vaccinated and you would have unvaccinated, non-masked guests (albeit they would all be under 5)...to me that is not super comforting.  I am less worried about getting COVID than I am getting quarantined on the boat and to me, unmasked, unvaccinated people (regardless of age), have to increase the possibility of spread...not cool. 

The safety and security of our guests, crew and communities we visit is our number one priority. In order to provide the safest cruise experience possible, all guests age five and over and crew will be required to be fully vaccinated for all sailings. In addition, as part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) Voluntary Conditional Sailing Order (CSO), we will limit the number of unvaccinated children aboard to not surpass 5% of all guests aboard.

While we welcome unvaccinated children ages four and under onboard, it is the responsibility of the guest to be aware of any local protocols and/or travel restrictions in place at the visiting destinations at the time of sailing.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Kclovesken said:

Same here. Oh well...

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

We cancelled our 6 March cruise because of their masking policy.  Our cabin type is no longer available.

What masking policy is that? I am just curious because they are not required. If masks make you safe, just wear one. It doesn't matter what others do.

3 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

What masking policy is that? I am just curious because they are not required. If masks make you safe, just wear one. It doesn't matter what others do.

They were required until this new policy was released this morning.  First, NCL didn't require mask.  We booked.  Then O/A 20 Dec they changed the policy to require masking.  We cancelled.  This AM they changed the policy and masks are no longer required.  Trying to rebook.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

He canceled when NCL said, in December, that masks would be required going forward.  My husband wanted to cancel also...but I held out. Not to be debated...but if one is uncomfortable in a mask (not politically) it wouldn't be a pleasant trip.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

They were required until this new policy was released this morning.  First, NCL didn't require mask.  We booked.  Then O/A 20 Dec they changed the policy to require masking.  We cancelled.  This AM they changed the policy and masks are no longer required.  Trying to rebook.

Good luck.  I canceled my Nov cruise...then rebooked 5 days before sailing.  I got a better price and a better cabin!

Right now I'm thrilled that I didn't cancel March.  

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Thank you for answering, I do appreciate it. We would cruise with the masking policy if required ourselves because we want the vacation. It is now even better that it is discretionary. Hope you can rebook quickly.

24 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

Thank you for answering, I do appreciate it. We would cruise with the masking policy if required ourselves because we want the vacation. It is now even better that it is discretionary. Hope you can rebook quickly.

Just rebooked.  Got the same cabins we had booked before . This is a celebration of out 30th anniversary and we've bring our son and his wife along.  I understand that some don't mind masking.  We very much mind.  We're double vaccinated and boosted.  We live in alabama and masks are not required although about 25% (in this area) do wear them.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Just rebooked.  Got the same cabins we had booked before . This is a celebration of out 30th anniversary and we've bring our son and his wife along.  I understand that some don't mind masking.  We very much mind.  We're double vaccinated and boosted.  We live in alabama and masks are not required although about 25% (in this area) do wear them.  

We're with you RocketMan275. We live in North Carolina and there is no masking policy here either and probably 25% wear them. In fact since 2 weeks after our second shot in March 21 neither of us has worn one at all.  Time to rebook.

• Like 2

Is the no mask policy in effect for Europe and transatlantics??  EU countries have different and more strict mandates as to masks and public spaces - What about Italy??

Great Britain has dropped it's mandates, but will depend on Covid levels.

I just spoke to NCL directly yesterday, got return verification - AND THIS IS NOT what I was told... unbelievable!!! They did say - As of TODAY.  

I just ordered n95 and kn95s yesterday, due to that conversation... I will still take them JUST IN CASE.

Edited by Gen X Life