Unique itineraries

ak1004

I think as well as the unique ports there is the fact that you Dock in the towns and cities. In St Petersburg we were in the centre, larger ships have to transport their passengers on a bus for 1.5 hours. We were there giving you all.that extra time (3 hours a day) to explore. The same in Seville, Bordeaux, Istanbul and numerous other ports. So as well as great itineraries you are usually docked in the heart of the action. Being able to get off and immediately explore is a real plus for us.

• Like 7

I think it’s hard to tell you unique ones aka ones no one else does but Manc has given good examples. Others would be in Edinburgh parking inside the lock at Leith at right angles to the Royal Yacht Britannia and some of the smaller Med ports eg Sete

• Like 5

I see several benefits AZ offers

1. smaller ships can get into some ports larger ones can’t,  examples include Bordeaux, Seville, HCMC, Kiel canal, Bora Bora (do to self imposed size limits) and many more

2.  AZ times in port are often longer and later so you can do more in port

These factors combine for some unique itineraries.  What I am surprised AZ doesn’t do is sell more grouped B2B like HAL does.  They call them Collectors Voyages.  You can still do them but you have to group them yourself and you get a B2B discount.  Maybe the thinking is you can customize your cruise?

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 1

This might have changed with the new ship rules in Venice.  However, when we visited Venice on our Azamara cruise, we docked at the San Basilio Cruise Terminal which is very close to and within walking distance of everything.  The big cruise ships have to dock in the Tronchetto area which is close to nothing.

DON

Being able to get to the center of the city is definitely a big plus.

That said, I'm not comparing Azamara with big ships like Celebrity or HAL. For us, the list includes lines like Oceania, Crystal (well, this one is probably gone), Silversea and other small ships (still need to try Viking). I assume most if not all smaller ships of those lines have the same advantage?

42 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Being able to get to the center of the city is definitely a big plus.

That said, I'm not comparing Azamara with big ships like Celebrity or HAL. For us, the list includes lines like Oceania, Crystal (well, this one is probably gone), Silversea and other small ships (still need to try Viking). I assume most if not all smaller ships of those lines have the same advantage?

They do for the size issues I outlined.  Each line has different target audience.  Several of those you mentioned are luxury lines, some are all inclusive, some have formal nights, etc. AZ is unique in no formal nights yet fairly upscale dining, White nights and Amazing Evenings.

Azamara does country-intensive itineraries, which few other cruise lines do on a regular basis.  E.g., Spain intensive, Croatia intensive.  These are the itineraries that appeal to me, and they are hard to find on Oceania, Silversea, etc.

• Like 6

Our first and so far only Azamara cruise was to Cuba and the ship spent 5 days in between three different ports.  The Azamazing evening was a show at the Tropicana.  No telling when this itinerary may be able to return, but this got me to look at other intensive itineraries.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, donaldsc said:

This might have changed with the new ship rules in Venice.  However, when we visited Venice on our Azamara cruise, we docked at the San Basilio Cruise Terminal which is very close to and within walking distance of everything.  The big cruise ships have to dock in the Tronchetto area which is close to nothing.

DON

We were due to dock at San Basilio the day after the infamous incident in 2019 when an MSC cruise ship collided with a tourist boat.  We then docked in the normal Tronchetto Cruise Terminal which is currently not being used.  On our April cruise which ends in Venice we expect to be in the Marghera Industrial port rather than in Trieste which Azamara used last year.

Many ports like Bangkok and Ho Chi Min they are so close to town you can walk or shuttle bus that is complimentary.

In Bangkok even Oceana dock an hour or more out of city and same with Ho Chi Min, this a loss of touring time of a day in some cases.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention in an earlier post the joy of walking into Ho Chi Minh and wandering into  Bangkok. 

Yangoon was a drive into the city but closer than many ships dock.

Small ships get so close to the action

• Like 1