New York Excelsior Pass as proof of vax

dmcgeary

Has anyone residing in New York used the Excelsior Pass on their phone as proof of vaccination in order to board a Royal Caribbean

ship.  I'm bringing my vaccination card also, but my son's vaccination card is damaged.  He has the Excelsior pass on his phone, but I need to

know if he has to get a replacement vax card as backup.

10 minutes ago, dmcgeary said:

Has anyone residing in New York used the Excelsior Pass on their phone as proof of vaccination in order to board a Royal Caribbean

ship.  I'm bringing my vaccination card also, but my son's vaccination card is damaged.  He has the Excelsior pass on his phone, but I need to

know if he has to get a replacement vax card as backup.

He should get a replacement card. My understanding you need to have the actual card in hand. Even if you downloaded it on the app during the pre cruise check in process. 

May also be a requirement at the ports to show the actual vaccination card. 

Edited by davekathy

We traveled on the Oasis in January. My sister accidentally left her vaccination card at home.  Luckily, New Jersey has a similar program to New York. She had her information on her phone and we had no problem boarding. But I can't guarantee that every port agent will do the same. Good luck. 

18 minutes ago, davekathy said:

My understanding you need to have the actual card in hand.

26 minutes ago, dmcgeary said:

ship.  I'm bringing my vaccination card also, but my son's vaccination card is damaged.  He has the Excelsior pass on his phone, but I need to know if he has to get a replacement vax card as backup.

You should have no issues boarding with legitimate digital docs like the Excelsior Pass. Just make sure the pass is active and you can tap/swipe to the vax details (not a screenshot of the pass). 

As long as you're not some dope trying to use a photo of your vaccination card, you shouldn't have an issue.

14 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

You should have no issues boarding with legitimate digital docs like the Excelsior Pass. Just make sure the pass is active and you can tap/swipe to the vax details (not a screenshot of the pass). 

As long as you're not some dope trying to use a photo of your vaccination card, you shouldn't have an issue.

Speaking only for myself, I'd rather be safe than sorry.  A "you should have no issues..." isn't using the EP is acceptable. As @mspect462said they had no issues but also no guarantees.  

@dmcgearycall RC and ask them. And good luck with that.  

Edited by davekathy

Thank you all for the info.  As I suspected, relying on the electronic version on the phone is likely hit or miss.  I'll be sure my son gets the physical card replacement also.

Also, i did call RC.  The agent said they saw nothing specifically that said the Excelsior Pass would be accepted, but also nothing that said it would.

Ya know this is making me nuts (ok it doesn’t take much).  My brother, who never got an original card and who’s state will only issue a Covid Smart Health Electronic Pass, did get a card when he received the booster shot at CVS.  I’m gonna transcribe the info from the first 2 shots onto that card.  The information will be accurate and how would they know who wrote it in.

4 hours ago, boscobeans said:

The NYS Excelsior Pass will only work at venues that have the proper software to read and interpret the Q/R code on the pass.

I do not think RCCL has the proper software.

I've used my excelsior pass ~100 times in NYC, and it's been scanned exactly zero times.  It has your name, DOB, number of vaccine doses, etc on the main screen. At most, venues will make you tap through to prove that it's not just a screenshot, showing your vaccine details (date, time, location, brand). 

I've also used it at vaccine-required conventions in Las Vegas without issue (or scanning).

I'm boarding Anthem tomorrow in NJ, so I'll try and report back!

4 hours ago, poocher said:

Ya know this is making me nuts (ok it doesn’t take much).  My brother, who never got an original card and who’s state will only issue a Covid Smart Health Electronic Pass, did get a card when he received the booster shot at CVS.  I’m gonna transcribe the info from the first 2 shots onto that card.  The information will be accurate and how would they know who wrote it in.

problem would be the booster shot would be listed 1st with its date.

On 2/8/2022 at 12:01 PM, davekathy said:

May also be a requirement at the ports to show the actual vaccination card. 

That was announced by the Captain of the Allure over and over when stopping at ports, including a government issued ID and seapass.

My back-up is on my phone.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

problem would be the booster shot would be listed 1st with its date.

The card has a spot for

1st Dose

2nd Dose

Other

Booster is listed under Other, so it would be in the right order. That being said, I wouldn't fill anything in myself. 

34 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

I've used my excelsior pass ~100 times in NYC, and it's been scanned exactly zero times.  It has your name, DOB, number of vaccine doses, etc on the main screen. At most, venues will make you tap through to prove that it's not just a screenshot, showing your vaccine details (date, time, location, brand). 

I've also used it at vaccine-required conventions in Las Vegas without issue (or scanning).

There is NOTHING to prevent the NAME and D.O.B. from being photo shopped onto someone else's Excelsior Pass.

The QR scan is meant to prevent forgery/photoshopping by verifying that the NAME and D.O.B. is on the vaccinated database ALSO the person is or is supposed to show PHOTO ID. 

It is and was meant to be SCANNED not like the CDC card. just displayed.

Like everything concerning vaccinations BS.

How do I show my Excelsior Pass to participating organizations?

You can present your Excelsior Pass on your smartphone, through the NYS Excelsior Pass Wallet app, or you can print your Excelsior Pass from the Excelsior Pass Web Portal and present the printed version.

Organizations who accept Excelsior Pass will use the NYS Excelsior Pass Scanner app to prove that the QR Code on your Excelsior Pass is valid.

If you are an adult aged 18+, you will also need to present a valid photo ID with your name and date of birth alongside each unique Excelsior Pass. Parents and legal guardians may retrieve and store Passes on behalf of children or minors under legal guardianship.

Edited by boscobeans

2 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Please do!!!!

1 hour ago, boscobeans said:

There is NOTHING to prevent the NAME and D.O.B. from being photo shopped onto someone else's Excelsior Pass.

The QR scan is meant to prevent forgery/photoshopping by verifying that the NAME and D.O.B. is on the vaccinated database ALSO the person is or is supposed to show PHOTO ID. 

You can present your Excelsior Pass on your smartphone, through the NYS Excelsior Pass Wallet app, or you can print your Excelsior Pass from the Excelsior Pass Web Portal and present the printed version.

Organizations who accept Excelsior Pass will use the NYS Excelsior Pass Scanner app to prove that the QR Code on your Excelsior Pass is valid.

If you are an adult aged 18+, you will also need to present a valid photo ID with your name and date of birth alongside each unique Excelsior Pass. Parents and legal guardians may retrieve and store Passes on behalf of children or minors under legal guardianship.

I'm guessing you haven't actually used your pass in the manner I've described?

Every single Broadway theater I've been in since the restart has made you click through to show your pass is valid... which you physically could not do with a "photoshopped Excelsior pass." That's why they make you click through on your pass, to verify it's not just a forged screenshot of someone else's pass. Bars and restaurants are usually more lenient, but it's happened in those situations as well. 

Side note: someone would have to be a real nut job to spend their time photoshopping a NYS vaccine passport so you can spend $$$$ to see the Music Man, but to each their own. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcgrumpy said:

The card has a spot for

1st Dose

2nd Dose

Other

Booster is listed under Other, so it would be in the right order. That being said, I wouldn't fill anything in myself. 

And the pier screener would know how?

1 hour ago, boscobeans said:

just a helpful hint.  Its much better to post linkd than cut and pasting.

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

Sorry

ONLY  a small part of the NYS Official F.A.Q. portion on their EXCELSIOR Passport website.

You  can read the entire thing and search for what I posted

Excelsior Pass and Excelsior Pass Plus for Businesses and Organizations | New York Forward (ny.gov)

Edited by boscobeans

3 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

I'm guessing you haven't actually used your pass in the manner I've described?

Every single Broadway theater I've been in since the restart has made you click through to show your pass is valid... which you physically could not do with a "photoshopped Excelsior pass." That's why they make you click through on your pass, to verify it's not just a forged screenshot of someone else's pass. Bars and restaurants are usually more lenient, but it's happened in those situations as well. 

Side note: someone would have to be a real nut job to spend their time photoshopping a NYS vaccine passport so you can spend $$$$ to see the Music Man, but to each their own. 

Would take someone with a good graphics program 5 minutes to make a PERFECT fake.

WHY ? The same reason they are buying blank CDC cards or CDC cards with actual vaccination information on them.

BTW What does "click through" mean ?

Edited by boscobeans