Discovery Princess using Pier 46 at LA Harbor?

hubble

On 2/10/2022 at 1:08 PM, mtnesterz said:

Berth 93 is deep and long enough for Royal Class ships.

We have used pier 46 for disembarkation. No lounge. The tent in the photos is for customs. You will catch a bus to the airport, or to Berth 93, where our pickup was. I saw shuttles and Uber cars, but the whole system was a mess. How it is now, I don't know. It took us 90 minutes to 2 hours to get a bus. It's too far to walk dragging luggage except for the very athletic. Good luck.

Never heard of it? If you're a history person, Pier 46 was the site of the SS Saninena going up in Dec. of 1976. I heard it go off 30 miles north in Glendale while attending a Christmas party.  I think it broke every window in San Pedro. 

We used berth 46 in 2015 for our embarkation on the Jewel of the Seas. As has already been said, it was just that big ol' tent and nothing else. I dropped my wife off near the tent with our luggage, then returned to the berths 92/93 parking area and caught a shuttle back to 46. Inconvenient to be sure, but not terribly so. I cannot speak to disembarkation at berth 46, as we docked at berth 92 upon our return. 

We are on the March 27th sailing of the Discovery. I am thinking that because this is the inaugural cruise, and there will be no disembarking passengers, embarkation might go fairly quickly, especially if Princess is still at reduced capacity. Disembarkation will be a whole other adventure. Google maps has the distance from berths 46 to 92/93 as 2.1 miles. About a 35 to 45 minute walk, depending on ability. Pretty sure that is a deal breaker the Mrs., especially pulling luggage.  We shall see how it all unfolds.

Very interesting history indeed at berth 46. That night in 1976, when the SS Sansinena blew up, we were about 10 miles away and heard the explosion. After seeing the glowing smoke in the night sky, we did the cutting edge thing at the time, and tuned in to the local all news A.M. radio station for information. We took the drive into San Pedro and indeed, every window on Gaffey street, among others, was blown out. LAPD and county Sheriffs were already out in force at every intersection. A very surreal scene.

10 hours ago, enfuego4cruising said:

Very interesting history indeed at berth 46. That night in 1976, when the SS Sansinena blew up, we were about 10 miles away and heard the explosion. After seeing the glowing smoke in the night sky, we did the cutting edge thing at the time, and tuned in to the local all news A.M. radio station for information. We took the drive into San Pedro and indeed, every window on Gaffey street, among others, was blown out. LAPD and county Sheriffs were already out in force at every intersection. A very surreal scene.

To keep us on topic, let me say embarkation would be a whole different experience than disembarkation, I would think much less disorganization. Hope that helps.

A few years ago, an elderly passenger on our transfer bus in Vancouver BC was a retired firefighter who worked the scene that night. I asked him about it and he said after all these years, he still doesn't like to think or talk about it.

Edited by mtnesterz

Just to put a bow on a few more berth 46 questions from the OP.  When we went through in 2015, restrooms (potra-potties) and water stations were available. There was no lounge. As far as ADA accessible, that is required of course. If you are in a private vehicle, you can drop your luggage off, go park at 92/93, and shuttle back. Cabs, ride-shares and busses do have access.

Per the World Cruise Center schedule, berth 46 is being used today (February 12th) by Oceania. That is it for any dress rehearsals before the Discovery on March 27th.

Hope that this helps...

• Thanks 4

14 hours ago, enfuego4cruising said:

We used berth 46 in 2015 for our embarkation on the Jewel of the Seas. As has already been said, it was just that big ol' tent and nothing else. I dropped my wife off near the tent with our luggage, then returned to the berths 92/93 parking area and caught a shuttle back to 46. Inconvenient to be sure, but not terribly so. I cannot speak to disembarkation at berth 46, as we docked at berth 92 upon our return. 

We are on the March 27th sailing of the Discovery. I am thinking that because this is the inaugural cruise, and there will be no disembarking passengers, embarkation might go fairly quickly, especially if Princess is still at reduced capacity. Disembarkation will be a whole other adventure. Google maps has the distance from berths 46 to 92/93 as 2.1 miles. About a 35 to 45 minute walk, depending on ability. Pretty sure that is a deal breaker the Mrs., especially pulling luggage.  We shall see how it all unfolds.

I'm on the 3/27 cruise as well.  When you say you dropped your wife and luggage off at 46, were you able to fully check-in there?

Do cruisers not use Lyft or Uber? Either outside on Miner Street or inside the terminal?  I wonder if the Doubletree will provide shuttle service.

There should not be a problem getting a cellphone signal there.  Free WiFi, unlikely. 

Edited by mlgb

• 3 weeks later...

I looked at the port schedule today, hoping maybe the Discovery Princess would be back at Berth 91/93 for the March/April sailings and it is now showing it will be using Berth 50 (instead of 46).  I can't find this pier on google maps, but I'm guessing it should be somewhere in the same vicinity as #46.  If anyone has any information on address or exactly where this one is & if there is any facilities or infrastructure there, please let everyone know.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, hubble said:

I looked at the port schedule today, hoping maybe the Discovery Princess would be back at Berth 91/93 for the March/April sailings and it is now showing it will be using Berth 50 (instead of 46).  I can't find this pier on google maps, but I'm guessing it should be somewhere in the same vicinity as #46.  If anyone has any information on address or exactly where this one is & if there is any facilities or infrastructure there, please let everyone know.  Thanks!

I found this at https://data.lacity.org/City-Infrastructure-Service-Requests/Port-of-Los-Angeles-Berth-Lines/fkp8-e2db 

I zoomed in to find this. Berth 50 is near Berth 46.

image.thumb.png.4823b4b5b5a47d42480913810763226a.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruising deacon said:

does anyone know if berth 50 has brick and mortar facilities or is it a popup tent situation the same as 46?

In the picture, just to the left of the Princess ship, looks like a terminal building but Iv'e never been to this Berth before so I'm not sure.

I was hoping there was a building at this pier, but according to the map shellbeachjim posted, that is berth 54 (were the Princess ship is).  The map shows berth 50 to be closer to the end near berth 46.  Doesn't even look like there is enough room to put up a tent there according to google maps.  It is really close to the road (Miner) with no pull outs for cars or any places to park buses.  Should be interesting.  Logistically, it looks like only a place to park the ship, certainly not a place to be used for boarding.  Maybe they'll change the pier again before the inaugural 3/27 sailing.  I guess we'll all just have to wait and see what happens.

6 hours ago, tonit964 said:

In the picture, just to the left of the Princess ship, looks like a terminal building but Iv'e never been to this Berth before so I'm not sure.

That appears to be a warehouse building which are used in some ports around the world for boarding cruise ships by setting up security & check-in functions inside.

• Thanks 1

Looking at maps, B50 is where the Lane Victory is currently located.  They will likely need to move the Lane Victory.  It also appears that B50 might utilize the same "parking lot" as B46:

image.png.59ef51689003d2822695dbb82da117da.png

Edited by ltlqtgrl

7 hours ago, Brian1713 said:

Does anyone know if the Crowne Plaza will run a shuttle down there ? 

We are on the March 27 Discovery cruise and are staying at the Crowne Plaza the night before.  I called "Jimmy" the guy who is in charge of the shuttles.  I thought he may not be aware of the pier the Discovery is using.  I was right, he wasn't.  He said if there were enough people wanting to use the shuttle, he would add another one.  He said he would get us there.  The hotel is apparently sold out for that night, so I am guessing the majority are cruise passengers.  When you check in to the hotel, get on the list for the shuttle.  There is another ship (I think an NCL) also in port that day, so lots of people wanting to get to the ships.  It wouldn't hurt if more people called Jimmy and showed interest.  That way he can add additional shuttles.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sure enough, they moved the Lane Victory this week to make room for the Discovery Princess at berth 50.  Now we know exactly where the ship will be docked.  This is not where the buildings are, this looks like they'll be sharing the parking lot with pier 46 at the end of Miner St.  Guess it will be tents for check in/security.  Hopefully everything moves quick and everyone is able embark fast so no waiting around on the pier.  Discovery Princess is scheduled to arrive Saturday March 19th in LA, I'm getting excited and really looking forward to cruising after such a long absence.

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2022/03/15/lane-victory-moves-to-make-way-for-a-new-princess-cruise-ship-in-the-port-of-la/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mameow said:

I got some great updates watching "Let's Go! Travel Tips" channel on Youtube. She mentioned that check-in will be done at Pier92 and then take shuttle to board the ship. 

We won't know for sure until we are notified by Princess, but I was in contact with someone with the Port Authority who handles the Princess fleet and she told me check in and luggage drop off will be at B93.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mameow said:

I got some great updates watching "Let's Go! Travel Tips" channel on Youtube. She mentioned that check-in will be done at Pier92 and then take shuttle to board the ship. 

Can't be 93 - there is another ship there.