Air Canada, West Jet, & Pearson

ALD18

59 minutes ago, mousefan73 said:

I don't know if I am assuming. but the article states " Canadian " travelers..If the differentiate between nationality or residently for incoming people, that would be outside of the norm for all other countries. Testing requirements have either been for everyone entering based on vaxx status or last 14 day physcial location. Ex. if you fly into the US, EVERYONE gets tested, same with europe. It would be odd if Canada says, Canadian citizens no need for testing, but the german next to them on the flight needs to test. Both flying in from Germany.

Stay tune. 😀. Since your not Canadian, I would like to thank you for your interest in the Canadian Cruiser.  Your comments are much appreciated and welcome. 

• Like 1

The GOC likes PCR testing because they get details on the exact strain of virus that way, focused on people returning from abroad.  Antigen testing doesn't do that.  

However, it's not reasonable for the GOC to keep demanding detailed testing if their contractors and sub-contractors can't deliver the lab results in a timely way. 

Edited by lots-of-km2

24 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

If that's the case, it sure isn't a step forward, as it assumes that we could still be banned from re-entering our own country under threat of a massive fine if we test positive with an antigen test. No help there at all.

“A step forward”. I realize now after re- thinking it some more, that this is not a step forward at all.  Others may think its a step forward however, in reality it’s not. 

19 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

My experience has been the turn around time had more to do with the person preparing the result documentation than the time it takes to get the results.  

But you are also supposed to wait 15 minutes for the results.  I don't think anyone preparing documentation would say it was a definite negative before the full testing time is up. 

In my case, again at work, the paperwork is taken care of later.  I can see it taking 15 minutes on the ship, dock, and/or pier for results, if not a bit more time.  But waaaaay better than hours for pcr.

Just now, lots-of-km2 said:

Wow.  Just wow.   

And no doubt that Switch Health is laughing all the way to the bank. 

Not only are these companies getting rich doing redundant PCR testing but the funds spent by the GOC could be better spent.

• Like 1

I was all ready to push 'BOOK NOW' on a Nov cruise but after reading all these Covid threads plus reading a document how every country has slightly different rules for entry so a port intensive cruise (mine would be 6 ports) would mean near daily antigen testing (done free on the ship? by whom") I have decided to wait to book.

5 hours ago, broberts said:

Other than cost, I don't really understand the objection to PCR tests.

Family members paid $900 US for 4 members. Tested neg. 24 hrs were randomly selected at airport to be retested. One member positive...no symptoms. Double vaxxed. 

So....was the $900 a cash grab? Did all the testing keep anyone safer?

Confusing times for sure when most people are just trying to do the right thing AND trying to get back to more normal times.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, broberts said:

Family members paid $900 US for 4 members. Tested neg.

24 hrs later were randomly selected at airport to be retested. One member positive...no symptoms. Double vaxxed. 

So....was the $900 a cash grab? Did all the testing keep anyone safer?

Confusing times for sure when most people are just trying to do the right thing AND trying to get back to more normal times.

Edited by remydiva

2 hours ago, bcwife76 said:

I would like the author of this article, Sophia Harris, to let us all know where we can get a rapid PCR test (guaranteed results in less than 72 hours) for under $100, since the article states travellers are paying “upwards of $100”, suggesting less. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lots-of-km2 said:

The testing infrastructure that the GOC has put in place at Canadian airports (Switch Health) can't properly handle the volume in a timely way.   People returning to Canada sometimes have to sit home in isolation for 5, 6 days awaiting results that should be provided within 48 hours max. 

Pre-arrival testing is what I thought we were discussing. Post arrival testing is done at no charge to the traveller.

10 minutes ago, broberts said:

Pre-arrival testing is what I thought we were discussing. Post arrival testing is done at no charge to the traveller.

The OP's initial post and title don't limit the discussion to pre-arrival testing, so both are being discussed, it seems.  

People do have a lot of issues with pre-arrival testing (cost, perceived inconvenience),  and they also take issue with the 'at no charge' testing that takes place at Pearson and other airports because they don't get results for many days.  The cost of those tests 'at no charge' are ultimately borne by taxpayers, so we're paying for it. 

Edited by lots-of-km2
  • Like 1

Let me give a perspective from a non-Canadian view. The real issue is not the preflight PCR test for us. Because if we’re positive we just stay home. Unlike you Canadians you’re kind of screwed because then you can’t get home. The issue for us, especially those I have cruises booked from Vancouver is that let’s say you fly and fully maxed, negative PCR preflight test and are chosen for random testing. How are you guaranteed you’re going to make your ship on time. Are the days now gone where you fly in the morning of?Which IMO was  always a risky thing anyways and I would never personally do. So my mom and I booked a flight  to arrive two days before our sailing. Reading immigration experience is like some posted above makes me wonder what if I’m randomly chosen, which I found out means basically everyone anyways from overseas, how long do I have to wait until I get my test results. That folks is the conundrum for people who have cruises booked out of Canada right now. People in my Vancouver departingCruise group are dropping like flies And canceling. It’s 12 weeks until our sail date It’s simply too much money on the line with flights and hotels with  the big unknown. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, mousefan73 said:

Let me give a perspective from a non-Canadian view. The real issue is not the preflight PCR test for us. Because if we’re positive we just stay home. Unlike you Canadians you’re kind of screwed because then you can’t get home. The issue for us, especially those I have cruises booked from Vancouver is that let’s say you fly and fully maxed, negative PCR preflight test and are chosen for random testing. How are you guaranteed you’re going to make your ship on time. Are the days now gone where you fly in the morning of?Which IMO was  always a risky thing anyways and I would never personally do. So my mom and I booked a flight  to arrive two days before our sailing. Reading immigration experience is like some posted above makes me wonder what if I’m randomly chosen, which I found out means basically everyone anyways from overseas, how long do I have to wait until I get my test results. That folks is the conundrum for people who have cruises booked out of Canada right now. People in my Vancouver departingCruise group are dropping like flies And canceling. It’s 12 weeks until our sail date It’s simply too much money on the line with flights and hotels with  the big unknown. 

Good point. Fouremco is Canada Cruise “travel adviser” and he will be coming online soon and he will be able to address this situation. Another thing to think about, you will most likely (?) need to be tested within 2 days of sailing. If your tested positive they won’t allow you on the ship.  

Edited by DHP1

11 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Good point. Fouremco is Canada Cruise “travel adviser” and he will be coming online soon and he will be able to address this situation. Another thing to think about, you will most likely (?) need to be tested within 2 days of sailing. If your tested positive they won’t allow you on the ship.  

We are booked on the Disney cruise that the parts on April 26. Disney so far does testing for you at port which also happens to be a PCR test. This is a whole separate issue, generally speaking with Disney cruises. A lot of Disney cruisers want this changed  too because it be better to test two days before at home and know if you’re positive or not then spend the money traveling to port and then finding out there. Specially with Disney you have a lot of screaming unhappy kids were then told you can’t get on the boat when they actually see the boat.. these tests are also a rapid PCR test that Disney pays for and has outsourced at their cruise terminal. Through a third party provider. This is also an unknown that Disney has yet to communicate if they will have the same process on their Vancouver Sailings. Besides Hawaii selling, the Disney wonder is home there for its summer cruises to Alaska. And this is why I’m stalking this board because I’m trying to get more information from the Canadian side. We have everything booked already including our flightsWhich are refundable and hotels we can cancel too. I just wanna know to know and also come up with a Plan B because we are definitely cruising somewhere. So I will need to rebook something else.

Edited by mousefan73

4 minutes ago, mousefan73 said:

We are booked on the Disney cruise that the parts on April 26. Disney so far does testing for you at port which also happens to be a PCR test. This is a whole separate issue, generally speaking with Disney cruises. A lot of Disney cruisers want this changed  too because it be better to test two days before at home and know if you’re positive or not then spend the money traveling to port and then finding out there. Specially with Disney you have a lot of screaming unhappy kids were then told you can’t get on the boat when they actually see the boat.. these tests are also a rapid PCR test that Disney pays for and has outsourced at their cruise terminal. Through a third party provider. This is also an unknown that Disney has yet to communicate if they will have the same process on their Vancouver Sailings. Besides Hawaii selling, the Disney wonder is home there for its summer cruises to Alaska. And this is why I’m stalking this board because I’m trying to get more information from the Canadian side. We have everything booked already including our flightsWhich are refundable and hotels we can cancel too. I just wanna know to know and also come up with a Plan B because we are definitely cruising somewhere. So I will need to rebook something else.

We don’t know. We’re still waiting. The Government of Canada hasn’t stated the testing requirements yet. All we know is this article: - 

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins/measures-support-safe-cruise-travel-canada-ssb-no-18-2021-modified-february-1-2022

@mousefan73, April 26 is 2.5 months away, and the testing rules imposed by Canada and the separate testing rules imposed by cruise lines are changing with such frequency that none of us can accurately predict what will be in place by the time you hope to sail.  You would be well served to have a bunch of Plan Bs lined up. 

In my case, I have a cruise booked with a April 24 departure.  I expect a wild ride between now and then, with rules whipsawing all over the place, and even the possibility that I may not end up on that cruise. 

Edited by lots-of-km2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, mousefan73 said:

Read this thread from Fouremco dated February 2 

Transport Canada Update on Cruising in Canada

1 hour ago, waiting2retire said:

I would like the author of this article, Sophia Harris, to let us all know where we can get a rapid PCR test (guaranteed results in less than 72 hours) for under $100, since the article states travellers are paying “upwards of $100”, suggesting less. 

$30 USD in Varadero, a friend tells me.  But of course you gotta fly there for the 'bargain'. 

4 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

How do you know F is CC travel adviser?  and coming online soon?

Lol. I read all his thread so I call him my travel adviser.   I don’t believe he’s a real travel adviser but he’s very good and knowledgeable. He spend lots on time on Canada Cruise and provide excellent suggestions. 

Edited by DHP1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ALD18 said:

Watched a Senate clip last night and saw articles this morning that top Executives at Air Canada, West Jet, and Pearson Airport have requested Feds to drop PCR testing and other COVID mandates.  Apparently A/C and West Jet are/have cancelled between 20-40% of their flights.  Very surprised A/C sort of bit the hands that feeds them some times.  Really surprised how so many different factions are applying pressure to Feds.  At least getting some movement by the provinces. Gaining momentum every day. Starting to feel a wee more optimistic every day that PCR testing will be a thing of the past in a month or 2, but not to optimistic😉 

From what I was reading, it was not so much as a protest of an overly restrictive test requirement causing harm to the tourism industry, but also the fact that so many people were cancelling flights to and from Canada, that they consolidated a lot of the underutilized flights by cutting them and moving passengers to other flights.  Smart on their part, even if it is an inconvenience to some travellers (some may actually end up with better flights than they originally booked).

7 hours ago, broberts said:

-being forced to quarantine in the US for 11 days before being permitted to reenter my home country.  Our provincial government and the CDC is saying 5 days, our federal government is still saying 11 days

-loss of wages when forced to stay in the US when if we were permitted to return to Canada and isolate there (for only 5 days) you could likely work from home for many of us

-issue of what happens if you must isolate in the US but the rest of your party tests negative.  Do you send you wife and kids back home while you stay in the US, or keep the whole family together?

- with testing done AFTER you disembark, we run the risk on not getting our results in time for our noon flight (when we booked originally, RCCL was doing the tests ON the ship the day prior to disembarkation, so this was not a risk, so the noon flight time was fine)

• Like 2

Just now, DHP1 said:

Lol. I read all his thread so I call him my travel adviser. He’s very knowledgeable.  

I wondered....he is knowledgeable and googles info if he doesn't know it already as we've shared a few facts between this and the American site, off and on...LOL.  But an approved rep for CC I didn't know so he'll be happy you've given him a title....LOL again! 

3 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

From what I was reading, it was not so much as a protest of an overly restrictive test requirement causing harm to the tourism industry, but also the fact that so many people were cancelling flights to and from Canada, that they consolidated a lot of the underutilized flights by cutting them and moving passengers to other flights.  Smart on their part, even if it is an inconvenience to some travellers (some may actually end up with better flights than they originally booked).

-being forced to quarantine in the US for 11 days before being permitted to reenter my home country.  Our provincial government and the CDC is saying 5 days, our federal government is still saying 11 days

-loss of wages when forced to stay in the US when if we were permitted to return to Canada and isolate there (for only 5 days) you could likely work from home for many of us

-issue of what happens if you must isolate in the US but the rest of your party tests negative.  Do you send you wife and kids back home while you stay in the US, or keep the whole family together?

- with testing done AFTER you disembark, we run the risk on not getting our results in time for our noon flight (when we booked originally, RCCL was doing the tests ON the ship the day prior to disembarkation, so this was not a risk, so the noon flight time was fine)

This is exactly it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I wondered....he is knowledgeable and googles info if he doesn't know it already as we've shared a few facts between this and the American site, off and on...LOL.  But an approved rep for CC I didn't know so he'll be happy you've given him a title....LOL again! 

He’s not approved rep.  I was kidding and apologize if I offended you.  And if he does google info he doesn’t know.  Good. Save me time in looking it up.  

• Like 2

Just now, DHP1 said:

He’s not approved rep.  I was kidding and apologize if I offended you.  And if he does google info he doesn’t know.  Good. Save me time in looking it up.  

Absolutely no offense...thought it was a nice way to thank him for being so helpful.