The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

1 hour ago, CDR Benson said:

Even if it means forgoing any sweetheart deals like "second passenger flies free".  I'd rather have the piece of mind.

Me too!    And getting exactly what flight and seats we want.

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I am not sure that NCL Flights are a Haven Issue however it can be.  Whether to use the cruise brand for flights or do it yourself is a major debated weekly on almost every cruise blog site. It is SO tempting when you hear, second person free flights or 1/2 off flights for second person.  If you have never had experience with Cruise Brand Flights you think nothing of it.  If you have or studied the subject, you use more caution.

Then you start cruising, a lot.  You make the potential mistake of booking with a cruise brand, it does not matter which brand.  You find out sometimes, the flights are just OK.  Never great just OK.  Other times it is a problem.  The real issue is a lack of control vs. a potential cost savings. You also THINK that the Cruise Brand has some obligation to get you to your next port if you miss the flight at no cost.  That would not be correct.  It is also a very frustrating, costly and messy mistake.  Does it happen all the time, no.  Does it happen enough to be aware and concerned, yes. 

That was the setup for my response.  I NEVER take Cruise brand Air.  What I do, is find out how much may fare goes down if I don't take the air.  On my last cruise, which was a 10 day Mediterranean Cruise. The Reduction was $1,000.00 per person.  I then waited for the Airlines to open up itineraries for my dates which happens 330 before the flights for Delta Airlines. That is when I can get the best prices for, wait for it, "Fully Refundable Airfare".  BINGO.

Why Fully Refundable?  If we cancel the cruise before full payment, if I did not purchase cruise insurance that would cover my air yet (If you buy cruise insurance and cancel your cruise, you lose the premium paid so I hold off) we can get all our air money back.  If we booked the air with the cruise brand, we can cancel ALSO before full payment with NO liability for air cost so this becomes a wash.  In my actual case, the Fully Refundable Air was $200.00 per person higher cost and I had to give the money upfront. Please keep that in mind. I initially paid, $200 more for each flight. 

So I booked the seats, paid for the tickets in full, choose the air itinerary based on other going with us so we all fly together and best connections, choose to fly in the day before the cruise and out the day after the cruise because again I had complete control. As time went on, I had some other options that most folks don't think about. Let me share some:

1. Cruise Travel Insurance; The Type of insurance I purchase allows for losses for cancelation for any reason.  Again a product I purchase directly from the insurance company, never the cruise brand.  I also purchase the elements that is most important to me so I study it.  The bottom line, now I can re-look at the air fare and get discounted prices if I choose knowing if I cancel the cruise or the air, the insurance compensates me.  My choice and my option.
  2. Airline Upgrades and Free Bags:  I notices that often, when a person books with the cruise brand, they have no baggage allowance of any sort.  Not always the case but the case that often causes a unwanted financial surprise. When I book directly, I choose a fare that gives me one checked bag with the fare.  I also, daily look to see what the Upgrade offers are from the airline.  With my last trip with Delta, I was able to upgrade all the domestic flights to first class for a "Song" (Cheaply), and one of the long-haul legs to Delta One Business Class Suites for $699.00 per person.  You just have to look often, and be willing to pull the trigger. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not. 
  3. Airlines Points:  Sometimes you get your airline brand miles and sometimes you do not.  Since with the Cruise Brand, you don't know the airline brand being used until the last minute, it is a hit or miss.  With my choice of Delta, I knew that all those points from international travel would go into my account with no debate.  Again, Control. 

I don't like writing about flights and air.  There are some folks on this and other blogs that are the true experts.  They sometimes take offense that someone not in the Airline business like me expresses my opinion and they correct every aspect of what I said.  That is why when I wrote this LONG response, to a Haven Thread all I was claiming is how I do it and how it has effected me.  Now it is up to everyone reading this if you made it this long, to consider what you want to do.  All I ask is make a decision for you and don't complain about it if it does not work out.  Do your due diligence upfront and make your trip the best it can be.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Agree, very well written.   We also try to always purchase full refund air tickets.   We mostly fly Southwest where it is much easier.   Then we also do not include this fare into our insurance.   

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Well written.  

I never book cruise air because I have spent too much time travelling for work where all travel was booked at the lowest possible rate.  I'm too old for that now.

One of my mottos is this:  "Fly first class.  If you don't,  your grandkids will."

At this stage of my life, I don't have too many opportunities to travel well left.  I intend to enjoy those opportunities.  The least expensive travel isn't my objective.

My husband and I flew first class for the first time this past August from JFK to Anchorage, then back to JFK from Vancouver.   We will never fly across the country again and not be sitting in first class.    While we are not yet retired, we are almost there and have started acting like we are retired as one never knows what is around the corner.     However, we are not sold on always Haven!     We prefer the Haven-Lite way without the upgrade to the premium plus.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

We will never fly across the country again and not be sitting in first class.   

The Good Mrs. Benson and I are sold on flying first class, and fortunately, we are in a position to be able to do so.

I'm showing my age here when I say that my first couple of commercial flights took place even before airports used metal detectors.  I just walked out on the tarmac with the rest of the passengers and boarded the jet up the portable stairway.

Then, and for years after, flying in the "cheap seats", called "coach" then, wasn't bad at all.  Plenty of room, beverage and dinner service for free.  Even on a flight too short for dinner service, we got a snack, usually a sandwich and cookie of some sort.  I had no real need to fly first class.  The only times I did so was when I was travelling in uniform, and often, the pilot would have me moved to first class, if a seat was available.  (I quickly learnt to always fly in uniform, even on personal travel, heh.)

Gradually, the airlines have removed all the perquisites of flying in coach---now called "economy", and removed the legroom by jamming more seats on the plane.  Flying in the back is like being in a cattle car, now.  We won't do it.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, CDR Benson said:

The Good Mrs. Benson and I are sold on flying first class, and fortunately, we are in a position to be able to do so.

I'm showing my age here when I say that my first couple of commercial flights took place even before airports used metal detectors.  I just walked out on the tarmac with the rest of the passengers and boarded the jet up the portable stairway.

Then, and for years after, flying in the "cheap seats", called "coach" then, wasn't bad at all.  Plenty of room, beverage and dinner service for free.  Even on a flight too short for dinner service, we got a snack, usually a sandwich and cookie of some sort.  I had no real need to fly first class.  The only times I did so was when I was travelling in uniform, and often, the pilot would have me moved to first class, if a seat was available.  (I quickly learnt to always fly in uniform, even on personal travel, heh.)

Gradually, the airlines have removed all the perquisites of flying in coach---now called "economy", and removed the legroom by jamming more seats on the plane.  Flying in the back is like being in a cattle car, now.  We won't do it.

I remember all thos things.

I used to fly out of El Paso/Fort Bliss a lot.  AA had a policy that military in uniform would be upgraded to first class out of El Paso.  I received that upgrade several times.  The upgrades were in reverse order of rank.  Enlisted, then junior officers, etc.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

One of my mottos is this:  "Fly first class.  If you don't,  your grandkids will."

Somewhere along the line recently, I came across this motto.  Perhaps from you@RocketMan275

We agree and have enhanced the motto by flying first class with our children (no grandkids). 

That motto coupled with myriad of variations on “You can’t take it with you” have taught us to figure out how to appropriately spend down the capital we’ve been fortunate to acquire through our working lives and a favorable compounding Wall Street over many decades.  

I recently received an unfavorable medical diagnosis completely out of the blue which reinforces all of this and leads us to splurges such as the Haven!   

Cheers!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, McGarrett5oh said:

Somewhere along the line recently, I came across this motto.  Perhaps from you@RocketMan275

We agree and have enhanced the motto by flying first class with our children (no grandkids). 

That motto coupled with myriad of variations on “You can’t take it with you” have taught us to figure out how to appropriately spend down the capital we’ve been fortunate to acquire through our working lives and a favorable compounding Wall Street over many decades.  

I recently received an unfavorable medical diagnosis completely out of the blue which reinforces all of this and leads us to splurges such as the Haven!   

Cheers!

I'm sorry to learn of the turn-down in your health.  But, it lends credence to a recent decision of my own, one that merges the mantras of "You can't take it with you," and "Life is too short."

Like you, the Good Mrs. Benson and I, through decades of hard work, have established a comfortable lifestyle---through generous pensions, healthy Social Security payments, and modest investments---without having to work.  But I do work.  A position that pays well but doesn't demand much from me.  (I'm being paid for my credentials, not the workload.)

Yet, I've declared my resignation at the end of the year.  My health is relatively good, but the GMB is plagued by a few conditions, not life threatening, but affect her quality of life.  It's time for us to enjoy the spoils of our labours.  My Depression-era father would never have understood me giving up a well-paying job just because I want to.

But, as you and RocketMan275 and Sthrngary have pointed out, oh so accurately, there comes a time in life when it's time to stop making money and to start enjoying what one has.  We began to move in that direction five years ago, when I decided it was time to stop talking about taking a cruise and actually do it.  We have no offspring that needs looking after or an inheritance after we're gone.  So, it's time to indulge ourselves and make the winter of our lives as enjoyable as possible.

I trust you, sir, and yours will be able to do the same for an extended future.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, McGarrett5oh said:

Cheers!

I hope all goes well.  I was diagnosed with wet macular degeneration about a  year ago.  Can't be fixed.  Can only be managed.  So far so good.  

• Like 2

I'll be on my 4th NCL cruise in March and so far I've had great experiences with the cruise-line flights. *knock on wood* 3 of them all used the cruise-line flights. The only time it didn't make sense was when I went on a flight from Chicago, to Minneapolis, to New Orleans. Otherwise the flights have always been nonstop, I get to the port early enough, and my flights after the cruise have been at reasonable times. I do however always compare flight rates. I know that I technically have until final payment date to cancel/remove airfare, so I usually book it through the cruise, and then shop around. If I find a better deal, I cancel, if I don't, I upgrade. Once you have your air confirmation it's easy to upgrade seats, cover luggage, etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@RocketMan275...sorry to hear about your WAMD diagnosis.  Are they able to help with injections?

Hope you have a good Doc.

I had one that wasn't so good.  Have had 4 retina detachments (and 4 reattachment surgeries) as a result.  Lost most vision in that eye.  Have spent an awful lot of time with my ophthalmology MD team as a result.

But, I hope they're able to at least treat you to mitigate the damage.  Wishing you well!

• Like 2

On 12/14/2023 at 10:46 AM, RocketMan275 said:

At this stage of my life, I don't have too many opportunities to travel well left.  I intend to enjoy those opportunities.  The least expensive travel isn't my objective.

A phrase I heard some years ago was "Are you planning to be the richest person in the cemetery?" 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

@RocketMan275...sorry to hear about your WAMD diagnosis.  Are they able to help with injections?

Hope you have a good Doc.

I had one that wasn't so good.  Have had 4 retina detachments (and 4 reattachment surgeries) as a result.  Lost most vision in that eye.  Have spent an awful lot of time with my ophthalmology MD team as a result.

But, I hope they're able to at least treat you to mitigate the damage.  Wishing you well!

Yes, I'm getting the injections in both eyes.  My eyes are steadily improving.  Doc says my degree of improvement is very unusual.   However, he says that can change.  I can read my kindle, use the computer, and watch TV.  So far so good.   I know this isn't life threatening like some conditions but it is a reminder that life is short and unpredictable.

Another of my favorite sayings:  Life is unpredictable. Eat dessert first.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Yes, I'm getting the injections in both eyes.  My eyes are steadily improving.  Doc says my degree of improvement is very unusual.   However, he says that can change.  I can read my kindle, use the computer, and watch TV.  So far so good.   I know this isn't life threatening like some conditions but it is a reminder that life is short and unpredictable.

Another of my favorite sayings:  Life is unpredictable. Eat dessert first.

Amen, my friend.

Hope the injections (albeit they are certainly uncomfortable) continue to make things better.  Good luck with the improvement continuing!

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Amen, my friend.

Hope the injections (albeit they are certainly uncomfortable) continue to make things better.  Good luck with the improvement continuing!

There is an old saying about a 'poke in the eye with a sharp stick' which describes those injections. 

The doc doesn't want to get too optimistic about the improvement since it can reverse any time.

IMHO, I believe a COVID infection had a lot to do with my condition.  I had an infection and then two maybe three weeks later the degeneration was found.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, McGarrett5oh said:

@McGarrett5oh I am sad to hear of your diagnosis.  I am impressed with your extremely positive outlook on life and want you to know, you are a role model.  I hope what every your situation is, it improves.  Thank you for your comment.

• Like 3

@RocketMan275 I am thrilled to here of our improvement.  We are all getting a bit older.  When that happens we need maintenance for our wear and tear.  Replacement parts are hard to come by at our age.  Please take good care of yourself.  Enjoy all you can, you deserve it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@RocketMan275 I am thrilled to here of our improvement.  We are all getting a bit older.  When that happens we need maintenance for our wear and tear.  Replacement parts are hard to come by at our age.  Please take good care of yourself.  Enjoy all you can, you deserve it.

Thank you.

My orthopedic surgeon says I've lived an active life.

So far I've had two operations for neck fusions, two rotator cup surgeries, surgery to reattach all four tendons in my right hand.  I know a lot of surgeons.  I'm just happy to live in this age when such treatments are available.   Another good thing.  I retired from the military and I  have medicare.  Between the two, my out of pocket expenses have been minimal.

• Like 2

On 12/14/2023 at 2:10 PM, CDR Benson said:

Following all the hijackings in the middle east in 1970, President Nixon authorized the recruitment of a cadre of Sky Marshals.  I was one of them.  I boarded more flights that I can remember sans a metal detector and up those portable stairways.  Jetways were only found in the largest, truly international airports.

On 12/14/2023 at 2:10 PM, CDR Benson said:

Then, and for years after, flying in the "cheap seats", called "coach" then, wasn't bad at all.  Plenty of room, beverage and dinner service for free.  Even on a flight too short for dinner service, we got a snack, usually a sandwich and cookie of some sort.

Very true, there was more legroom in Coach back then.  AND, time permitting, there was a meal service.  I can remember Hugh's Air West had a wine tasting campaign on their shorter hops.  They handed out baskets with fruit, crackers, cheese, and a small bottle of wine.  The "Stewardess" would then read a script extolling the virtues of the wine and walking passengers through the wine tasting experience.  My partner and I would stash the bottles of wine away for later consumption. 

On 12/14/2023 at 10:46 AM, RocketMan275 said:

On 12/14/2023 at 1:52 PM, vacation44 said:

My husband and I flew first class for the first time this past August from JFK to Anchorage, then back to JFK from Vancouver.   We will never fly across the country again and not be sitting in first class. 

6 hours ago, McGarrett5oh said:

As a Sky Marshal, I spent half of my time riding in the front of the bus and half riding in the back.  I learned to like the front of the bus.  However, when I was flying on my dime it was hard enough to pay for coach fare let alone 1st class.

Times have changed and through a compellation of factors so has our financial status.  As  DW and I have grown older, old wounds and injuries have remanifested themselves and sitting for an extended time in economy for me is pure torture! Several years ago we made a decision that the price for flying business class (the new first class) on any extended flight was going to be factored into the cost of the trip.

While our children may think we are spending too much on ourselves.  We spoiled them has children and teens and spend on them now as needed; it is time DW and I spoil ourselves.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Traveling Fools said:

Less than a month to go before me, DW, DD, DSIL, DGS, and DGD board the Epic's Haven for a week of fun.

Our first Haven experience was on Epic and we liked Epic's best.  It wasn't too large, and it was very comfortable.  I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

• Like 3

Thank you for your concern @CDR Benson, @RocketMan275 & @Sthrngary

We were fortunate to retire 10 years ago (we’re mid 60s now) and travelled the country in a motorhome for 7 years and 70,000 miles before turning back to cruising.  

A lesson learned, don't forget, things can change in a moment.  One day this past August, after riding my bicycle 14 miles, I sneezed at lunch which has brought about 2 hospital stays and a cancer diagnosis.  I’m grateful for the sneeze as we found the C early and prospects are positive.  In the meantime, we have to slip our cruises in between scheduling doctors appointments.  We are blessed to have amazing medical professionals collaborating on our case!  

To paraphrase @Sthrngary, "enjoy every moment"  You don't know how many you may have left!
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, McGarrett5oh said:
Thank you for your concern @CDR Benson, @RocketMan275 & @Sthrngary

We were fortunate to retire 10 years ago (we’re mid 60s now) and travelled the country in a motorhome for 7 years and 70,000 miles before turning back to cruising.  

A lesson learned, don't forget, things can change in a moment.  One day this past August, after riding my bicycle 14 miles, I sneezed at lunch which has brought about 2 hospital stays and a cancer diagnosis.  I’m grateful for the sneeze as we found the C early and prospects are positive.  In the meantime, we have to slip our cruises in between scheduling doctors appointments.  We are blessed to have amazing medical professionals collaborating on our case!  

To paraphrase @Sthrngary, "enjoy every moment"  You don't know how many you may have left!

🙏 for all of us. 

• Like 1