The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

daniela. depending  on the occasion and number of people in our party, in a land based restaurant,  with  at least 10 of us,  i will give a $20 to the server upfront to try and insure appropriate service. when we get  onboard when we 1st meet the cabin steward, i always give them a $20 and advise them that the  same or more will be coming throughout the voyage 

we also start off with $20 to the butler, $20 to the concierge, and an additional $20 to the maitre d .

they all remember you, and it works every time. if its lunchtime, $5.00 to the waiter after the meal

ive commented on this issue many times before, i affectionately call this my "vegas handshake"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

That's not a great analogy.  If you frequent a shore based restaurant often, the waitstaff will remember who tips well and will treat those customers accordingly.  Dining in the Haven isn't a one time thing so tipping early can improve performance.  We tend to leave a small tip ($3 to $5) after each meal.  

I know this works for you and I'm not one to judge your method! If it works for you, it works. And that's all that matters! Especially when it comes to tipping cruise staff.

For me, and me only, I choose to tip the server(s) at the end of the cruise. I'm a firm believer in tipping for great service. Typically two to three servers receive a tip. The others receive whatever portion of the onboard service charge that is reserved for them, in whatever way NCL actually provides it (please don't turn this into a debate...pretty pleeeeeease, y'all).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I know this works for you and I'm not one to judge your method! If it works for you, it works. And that's all that matters! Especially when it comes to tipping cruise staff.

For me, and me only, I choose to tip the server(s) at the end of the cruise. I'm a firm believer in tipping for great service. Typically two to three servers receive a tip. The others receive whatever portion of the onboard service charge that is reserved for them, in whatever way NCL actually provides it (please don't turn this into a debate...pretty pleeeeeease, y'all).

@cruiseny4life I know what you mean about a debate.  This subject comes up often.  It is debated often.  No right answers but lots of opinions.  Here is the bottom line.  Whether it is the category you cruise, the stateroom you select, the specialty restaurant you like the best, how/when/how much you tip, or the brand that floats your boat.  It is all of our personal decisions.  My adult son says, "Dad, you do you". 

All that really matters is in this hectic world, with stress and constant issues; we all have the opportunity to enjoy a few days they way we want too.  I feel blessed to cruise and to have shared the experience with friends and family.  We are all so lucky to live in a world with the ability to vacation.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I also tip everyone at the end of the cruise. I treat all the crew with kindness and respect and they know that about me and I get great service every time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

58 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@cruiseny4life I know what you mean about a debate.  This subject comes up often.  It is debated often.  No right answers but lots of opinions.  Here is the bottom line.  Whether it is the category you cruise, the stateroom you select, the specialty restaurant you like the best, how/when/how much you tip, or the brand that floats your boat.  It is all of our personal decisions.  My adult son says, "Dad, you do you". 

All that really matters is in this hectic world, with stress and constant issues; we all have the opportunity to enjoy a few days they way we want too.  I feel blessed to cruise and to have shared the experience with friends and family.  We are all so lucky to live in a world with the ability to vacation.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

Wise words.

I've come to wonder why the individual's style of tipping becomes such a point of contention.  (For the record, I tip half up front, half at the end to butlers, all at the end to everybody else.)  It's like going to blows over the best way to part your hair.  I tip the way I think it works best, and I assume so does everyone else.  But, there is no empirically right or wrong way.  Not even for those who don't believe in tipping at all.

As my friend said above, it's what works for you.  And I'm O. K. with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

I received an email from NCL this morning welcoming us to our next Haven cruise.  Nothing really new.  The email informed us of  the on-shore concierge team and provided their phone # and email address and invited us to contact them.  It did state that specialty reservation were not available till 130 days prior to sailing.  

We've never received this type of email prior to any of our three previous Haven cruises.  Our cruise isn't till Jan 2025.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I received an email from NCL this morning welcoming us to our next Haven cruise.  Nothing really new.  The email informed us of  the on-shore concierge team and provided their phone # and email address and invited us to contact them.  It did state that specialty reservation were not available till 130 days prior to sailing.  

We've never received this type of email prior to any of our three previous Haven cruises.  Our cruise isn't till Jan 2025.

Same here and my next Haven cruise is in March. Maybe an email glitch or they have new phone numbers and email addresses?

• Thanks 1

On my first suite cruise I waited to tip the staff at the end and could not find (them all).

After that cruise I left $5 under my plate at each meal where I got great service.   Which was 100%.  

i tip Haven Butler, Concierge and steward all at end.   

To each his own.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

We got the same. One for our cruise next week and another for our September 2025.

22 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Same here and we also cruise in January 2025. In the past I first learned about the Haven concierge phone number here, before getting any communication from NCL, so if NCL is sending this out to anyone with a future Haven reservation, it’ll be helpful for Haven newbies.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Candy Apple 12 said:

Same here and we also cruise in January 2025. In the past I first learned about the Haven concierge phone number here, before getting any communication from NCL, so if NCL is sending this out to anyone with a future Haven reservation, it’ll be helpful for Haven newbies.

I received the same email last month and then again this month. Another poster on CC said that we will get this email instead of the old package they used to send out. Allegedly, the only mailing we’ll get is the luggage tags.

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 9:42 AM, RocketMan275 said:

They seem to be sending those letters out early.  I got my luggage tags two weeks ago along with "the letter" for next month's sailing.  Go figure!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

They seem to be sending those letters out early.  I got my luggage tags two weeks ago along with "the letter" for next month's sailing.  Go figure!

The email must be a new thing.  Never received on before.

On 5/14/2024 at 6:42 AM, RocketMan275 said:

That’s just so funny.  We leave in 24 days and have not heard anything from the concierge team and have not received a letter like this at all.  You would think it would be standardized. 

8 minutes ago, erisajd said:

That’s just so funny.  We leave in 24 days and have not heard anything from the concierge team and have not received a letter like this at all.  You would think it would be standardized. 

I wouldn't hesitate to call them:

855-625-4283

norwegianconciergedesk@ncl.com

All you need is  your booking number.

I suggest since you're sailing is so close to go ahead and call them. I've never tried email and I've always found them almost happy to speak with  you.

I just want to share how awesome the dining staff were on the Breakaway. Our last night on the ship was our anniversary, and our waitress asked us what our favorite desserts were. I said the decadent chocolate cake, and husband said the OMG cheesecake. After we finished dinner, they brought us this half chocolate, half cheesecake dessert, and Jenipher the assistant maitre d serenaded us.

20240518_183329.thumb.jpg.07412fe453608c76f75791c51c9f3aeb.jpg

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Jordan61 said:

I just want to share how awesome the dining staff were on the Breakaway. Our last night on the ship was our anniversary, and our waitress asked us what our favorite desserts were. I said the decadent chocolate cake, and husband said the OMG cheesecake. After we finished dinner, they brought us this half chocolate, half cheesecake dessert, and Jenipher the assistant maitre d serenaded us.

20240518_183329.thumb.jpg.07412fe453608c76f75791c51c9f3aeb.jpg

Yay....congrats!!!!!

On 5/15/2024 at 5:35 PM, RocketMan275 said:

wouldn't hesitate to call them:

855-625-4283

norwegianconciergedesk@ncl.com

All you need is  your booking number.

The last times I called this number in the Fall of 2023, I received the same initial phone tree options as I did today and spoke to what appeared to be a dedicated Haven On-Shore Concierge.  However, I got the impression that the Haven Concierge is now part of a larger "On Shore Concierge Desk" that handles more than just the Haven.  This impression came from the "on-hold" messaging (promoting their "group" concierge), the 13 minute wait time to speak to an agent (I had never waited more than a minute or two), NCL's cost cutting strategies shared in their Investor Day this week and the answers the agent gave me when i tried to poke at this impression.   He did not confirm that he handles more than just the Haven but angain left me with that feeling.

Nonetheless, I received excellent service from the representative.

Hello all,

We returned from our first NCL trip over the weekend and thought I would share impressions about our stay in the Haven (NCL Escape, 11-night Mediterranean).

First, thanks for all the incredibly helpful information on this board thread!!  Based on your input and sharing, we had a Butler letter ready (sent to Concierge in advance as well), had our strategy for how to get a variety of non-Haven dishes in the Haven restaurant, as well insights about tipping and overall Haven ins and outs.

We stayed in the DOS (H3 I think), which was a massive 500sq ft forward cabin with enormous balcony.   It was a wow, wow, wow, elegant, comfortable, so roomy.  We've never experienced a hotel room as luxurious. The bed was so comfortable, we are looking into purchasing a similar one.

Some thoughts on "what was great" and "not as great."

The "great"

a) We emailed our Butler letter to concierge and got a response right away.  They advised they would take care of some items in advance, and we should give the letter to our butler when we arrived.  That was nice, as it was clear they got the message about extra pillows and food allergy/preferences in advance.  The on-site Concierge(s) were terrific and helpful, no matter what we were requesting.

b) The Haven dining room staff were exceptional.  I couldn't believe how they all knew our name within 24 hours.  Every person was so attentive and friendly. The DR itself was comfortable and elegant -- probably the most elegant area on the whole ship.

c) The Maitre D inquired about our food preference and instructed us to give him 24 hours notice if we wanted something else.  e.g. on two occasions the chef made us fish that is not on the Haven menu: grilled tuna on one evening, pan-seared Chilean Sea Bass on another night.

d) Half-way through the cruise I got sick with a sore through and cough, and the Maitre D suggested he make me fresh ginger tea (shaved ginger!) for breakfast and dinner.  The tea was so soothing! The staff made sure our butler had the tea pot ready for me before bed.

BTW, all the food in Haven was very good, especially the salads. We had booked extra specialty dining beyond the 2 Free at Sea, but canceled those extra.  (We thought filet mignon in Haven was better than Cagneys.)

e) Loved not having to wait in line to embark on the ship after some of the port days. On a couple of days, the line to get back on was 30-60 minutes (!!)

f) Regarding the forward cabin, I was concerned we might feel more motion, but it was smooth as glass the whole time.  We LOVED being able to sit outside and lounge on our own loungers with a Proseco when we returned from the port city.  And LOVED our captain's view at arrivals at some ports like Malta.

Separate from Haven, we enjoyed the entertainment on the ship, although didn't like the fact some places were crowded and hence we didn't even attempt to attend.

The "not as great" part of the cruise was the HUGE number of people onboard.  It made us feel so relieved to retreat to our Haven bubble.  I realize this is a personal taste thing, but it felt like a sea of bodies everywhere. It also made me realize we would have been less happy with Haven experience if we'd been in an aft cabin, and not the "bubble."  Again, personal taste.

The other "not as great" was the NCL Escape layout itself.  We wished there were a couple of quiet, elegant lounge areas where we could listen to jazz or easy listening, and gaze out at the ocean.  That was our experience with Celebrity cruises ---- there are several places on the ship, including an observation lounge where you an sit in comfy chairs and enjoy music, coffee, or a cocktail. The NCL Escape was not what I would describe as elegant. But again, I understand it's a different concept for a ship.

However, these two "not as great" would dissuade us from sailing NCL Escape again, even if we could be in the Haven bubble.

Edited by benel204
  • Like 3

RE:  NCL Concierge

Gave the concierge phone number to a cruise friend who was looking to make reservations.  But, she was staying in a Balcony cabin.  The phone agent asked her for the reservation number.  Once she gave the info, the agent gave her another number to call and said the Concierge Desk number was only for Haven and Suites.

The question is what level of Suite would qualify.  Would a Club Balcony Suite qualify since it's really just a balcony cabin with a bigger bathroom?  That's just one example.  I don't have an answer.

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

RE:  NCL Concierge

The question is what level of Suite would qualify.  Would a Club Balcony Suite qualify since it's really just a balcony cabin with a bigger bathroom?  That's just one example.  I don't have an answer.

Club Balcony Suite is NOT a Suite - you have to look at the cabin class - if it doesn't begin with S or H then it isn't a suite.  🙂

31 minutes ago, benel204 said:

f) Regarding the forward cabin, I was concerned we might feel more motion, but it was smooth as glass the whole time.  We LOVED being able to sit outside and lounge on our own loungers with a Proseco when we returned from the port city.  And LOVED our captain's view at arrivals at some ports like Malta.

Separate from Haven, we enjoyed the entertainment on the ship, although didn't like the fact some places were crowded and hence we didn't even attempt to attend.

The "not as great" part of the cruise was the HUGE number of people onboard.  It made us feel so relieved to retreat to our Haven bubble.  I realize this is a personal taste thing, but it felt like a sea of bodies everywhere. It also made me realize we would have been less happy with Haven experience if we'd been in an aft cabin, and not the "bubble."  Again, personal taste.

The other "not as great" was the NCL Escape layout itself.  We wished there were a couple of quiet, elegant lounge areas where we could listen to jazz or easy listening, and gaze out at the ocean.  That was our experience with Celebrity cruises ---- there are several places on the ship, including an observation lounge where you an sit in comfy chairs and enjoy music, coffee, or a cocktail. The NCL Escape was not what I would describe as elegant. But again, I understand it's a different concept for a ship.

However, these two "not as great" would dissuade us from sailing NCL Escape again, even if we could be in the Haven bubble.

Thank you for this post.  

I was recently considering a cruise on Escape when it is sailing from NOLA.  NOLA is the easiest port for us to get too.  I decided against that.  Your post confirms my decision.

I do have one question.  How windy was your balcony while underway?  We found our H2 balcony to be mostly unusable due to the wind.