What happens with guests who "don't do technology?"

Vagabond Knight

17 hours ago, graphicguy said:

You're right.  Doesn't matter to some.  That's OK.

I have my Celebrity app with my calendar of things I want to do with me at all times, on and off ship.  It has my excursions, too.  Plus, it also tells me when "all aboard" time is for each port, so I can enter that into my iPhone calendar and an alarm when I get so caught up at a port and lose track of time.

Plus, on board, with streaming wifi, I can make and receive calls. And, I can use it as a key to get into my cabin.  No worries about leaving the key card in the light switch when I leave and needing to get another key card at guest services.

I used to carry folded papers with me at all times to do all of that.  Now, I just use my phone.

I just find it a very useful tool.

I find it useful for all of that and also love having a camera with me for unexpected great views or fun moments.

Do you have to show the actual covid vaccination card or will an e copy on the phone work?  If I could leave my card, safe inside some piece of secure luggage and not take it in and out, that might push me to put it on the phone - otherwise all paper for checkin is way we will go.

Thanks.

16 hours ago, 5waldos said:

But if you don't stare non-stop at your phone you might miss a picture of a cute kitty or puppy! And there is  the "What cha up to? " text from someone who you don't really care that much about. 

It is also something that drives me nuts. 

This is all part of the age we live in and our culture in the US and many countries worldwide.  I am used to it.  Phones are multi-technology devices - frequently used for everything and anything- and less used for actually calling somebody.  It happens on land and sea.  Everywhere.  Sit at a table.  Pull out the phone.  The only thing I find bothersome is if people are dining and take an actual telephone call and have a loud conversation within ear shot.  Other than that- who cares?

13 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Do you have to show the actual covid vaccination card or will an e copy on the phone work?  If I could leave my card, safe inside some piece of secure luggage and not take it in and out, that might push me to put it on the phone - otherwise all paper for checkin is way we will go.

Thanks.

They are requiring you to show an ORIGINAL Vaccination card upon check in.  They’ll take a pic of it. And, unless you are doing a back to back, you won’t have to show it, again.  I keep a copy stored on my phone, just as a precaution and available on shore, if it’s requested.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Vagabond Knight said:

Woo-hoo!  DEC 4-Ever!!!  I'm convinced that if Ken O and the engineers had a better marketing team, we'd all be on some advanced version of DECWindows today instead of these other flakey operating systems.

And to the person who suggested that some of us teach technology classes onboard... personally, I'd rather be fed to the sharks.  I just retired from that a few months ago and feel like that would quickly drain the peace and joy out of my cruise. Imagine people coming up to you during the remainder of the cruise, asking how-to questions and making please-fix-this requests! 😱

Not many would know what I was referring to.  Congrats (or sympathies, depending).  LOL!

Lots of reasons DEC is no more.  Personally, I always thought it was because they really punted the whole movement from mainframe minis to the desktop.  Plus, they insisted on making their own RISC chips, when the rest of the world was moving to Intel.  

Ironically, my former company I retired from (AMD) is now eating Intel’s lunch.

We could have a grand old time talking about tech.  And, I agree…wouldn’t want to help people with their tech of they are bound to resist it.  Don’t want to use the tech available?  Find by me.  Far be it that anyone ask you to use it. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

This is all part of the age we live in and our culture in the US and many countries worldwide.  I am used to it.  Phones are multi-technology devices - frequently used for everything and anything- and less used for actually calling somebody.  It happens on land and sea.  Everywhere.  Sit at a table.  Pull out the phone.  The only thing I find bothersome is if people are dining and take an actual telephone call and have a loud conversation within ear shot.  Other than that- who cares?

Totally agree totally on the actually phone call part...not much is worse.  

I bring it up every now  and then about staring at the phone at dinner for my own good..I think it's rude to your dining partner...so it's a reminder for me not to do it.  

On 2/13/2022 at 8:37 PM, Vagabond Knight said:

So, I did my online check-in, which then then told me I had to download the Celebrity app to input my vaccination info, which I did.   However, I got to wondering about older friends of ours who don't have computers or smart phones (we have some older friends with nothing but flip-phones... and for one of these guys, it's his first cell phone EVER!).  Are these people not allowed to sail on Celebrity these day?

I do not like to use my phone on cruises (have to have it with you, like pool side, etc), but one has to choose to have easy access to information or not.  We opted for using our phone and getting info.

Not sure a flip phone would work.  I would use the term 'smart' phone is needed.

Edited by shipshape sam

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Totally agree totally on the actually phone call part...not much is worse.  

I bring it up every now  and then about staring at the phone at dinner for my own good..I think it's rude to your dining partner...so it's a reminder for me not to do it.  

Yes a very good thought and I agree.  In my case, my dining partner (dw) looks at the phone and texts whenever we are at a table dining outside the home.  If I look around almost all other tables have people looking at texts or googling something.  And on the ship dw is dining in Luminae or wherever,  and she is looking at her phone because she she gets a good WiFi signal.  At home while dining, she has a FitBit watch that alerts her to new texts and she immediately goes to her phone to check them out.  We are retired so nothing incredibly important that could not wait a few minutes.  She either does not realize what she is doing or I am a boring, crappy dining partner!😀.  Probably the latter.

Find having a phone at dinner quite handy when presented with a wine list with a lot of unfamiliar entries, especially untried vintages.  What was great in the year I tasted it isn't always good in another year.

Favorite rant:  wine lists that don't include years of production.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 10:48 AM, graphicguy said:

I had to chuckle about those who were brought up computing with punch cards.  My first foray  into computer science (my major) was a bit later than that.  We used a VAX PDP 11/70.  But, it too was the size of a small room with very specific environmental requirements.

In the mid-to-late 80s my small group moved into a small older building repurposed for us. The engineers were intrigued by the air conditioning challenges of dealing with our VAX And we also had two Symbolics workstations and later Sun workstations. All of which someone else dealt with for me! I wasn’t a pure techie, I just knew enough to know what to ask for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

In the mid-to-late 80s my small group moved into a small older building repurposed for us. The engineers were intrigued by the air conditioning challenges of dealing with our VAX And we also had two Symbolics workstations and later Sun workstations. All of which someone else dealt with for me! I wasn’t a pure techie, I just knew enough to know what to ask for.

Oh man...we could talk "shop" for days/weeks.  KUBOTA (yes, the tractor company) got into the computer game for a while back in the early/mid '90s for their new workstation division (UNIX desktop high performance computers).  They recruited me from DEC.  They threw tons of money at the "new" dept, but found it a tougher to compete against the likes of SUN, HP, Silicon Graphics, etc.  

That gig lasted about 2 years until it became crystal clear to me they were going to go back to just selling farm/road equipment...you know....something they knew more about.

AMD came along and recruited me from that dumpster fire.  At the time, I jumped from the frying pan into the fire.  Today, I look brilliant by making that move.  

Back on topic, smart phones have become so easy to use.  They turn on by recognizing your face or your fingerprint (and do exceedingly well at both).  The "apps" available are pretty amazing like GPS to find directions on foot and via vehicles, music player, book reader, podcast player, health charter, shopping assistant...and yes, even cruise assistant.