Two quick questions to help me plan.

Ninebark North

I sail on Rotterdam in 5 weeks. First cruise ever... 😬

I see that Tamarind has a bar. Are we allowed to eat the full menu at the bar?  I'm a belly up kind person and would like to know if that is an option when considering how I want to use my HIA credit. 

Laundry... If I use the $22 laundry bag, are shirts pressed? Or do they come back on hangers by any chance? Or just folded? Any issue with color separation issues (White & Black shirts together)? Do they have separate pricing for pressing finer clothing? I'm thinking of bringing less clothing and doing at least one load of laundry, maybe two. Thanks in advance for all replies. 

With laundry, your shirts will come back pressed.  When filling out the form you specify whether you want the clothes returned on hangers or folded.  I've never had a problem throwing all colors into the same bag - no bleeding in my experience.

As for Tamarind bar, I'm not sure.  I've been there for a drink before dinner and never saw anyone eating there.  That doesn't mean it's not possible 😉 

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not real big on service. I know that is a somewhat of an oxymoron considering I'm doing my first cruise on a HAL ship. My main interest for choosing this ship is for the sunshine and Music Walk. I guess I'll just just have to suffer though the five star service and being waited on in the dinning area. 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/14/2022 at 4:55 PM, Ninebark North said:

I sail on Rotterdam in 5 weeks. First cruise ever... 😬

I see that Tamarind has a bar. Are we allowed to eat the full menu at the bar?  I'm a belly up kind person and would like to know if that is an option when considering how I want to use my HIA credit. 

Laundry... If I use the $22 laundry bag, are shirts pressed? Or do they come back on hangers by any chance? Or just folded? Any issue with color separation issues (White & Black shirts together)? Do they have separate pricing for pressing finer clothing? I'm thinking of bringing less clothing and doing at least one load of laundry, maybe two. Thanks in advance for all replies. 

Welcome to your first cruise.  As you will discover, there are lots of things to know before you board that will help in your planning.  Feel free to ask lots of questions to learn all that is available.

Speaking for myself, and if I had a free Specialty Restaurant meal, I would opt for the most expensive meal available which translates to the Pinnacle Grill.  If I was paying, I would choose the Tamarind Restaurant and the wasabi filet.

I am a firm believer and many-time user of the daily laundry package ($49 for seven days) and you can turn in laundry twice a day.  I pack enough clothing for 3-4 days and have fresh clothing everyday of my cruise.  With a few exceptions (socks and underwear), laundry will be steamed/pressed and returned on hangers.  If you want items washed in cold water or dried on low setting, just write instructions on the laundry list. I have turned-in hundreds of laundry bags on HAL cruises and have never had an issue when I added special instructions.

A word of caution, every item returned on a hanger will have a piece of laundry name that should be removed ASAP lest you feel an irritating scratching at potentially inconvenient time/location. 

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam-behind-the-scenes/IMG_3214.jpg

Here is a link to the daily menus for the Lido Market and Main Dining Room for your cruise to help you choose which night you want to use your HIA Specialty Restaurant option:

MDR and Lido Market Menus for 7-Day Caribbean cruises.

Hope the above info helps.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Thanks Crew News, that is great advice and a great link you have attached. And thanks for the encouragement on new additional questions..

1) So here goes... Is there a daily activity schedule posted anywhere? Specifically for things such as cycling classes,  I'm debating on signing up for a 3 class package and bringing my cycling close and shoes, but it really depends on the class scheduled times. The $49 laundry service becomes a no brainier if I go this route as well. 

2) Does the fitness area have any complementary sauna of steam rooms? Or are the only facilities  available as part of the $139 spa package offering? I really cannot justify that spa package at that price, but curious if I did, is a tough to get into given the limited facilities? 

Thanks again for all replies... 

We were on the Koningsdam in November and December and ate in the Tamarind.  There are a few regular menu items at the sushi bar.  Most of the items at the sushi bar are a la carte, but the regular menu items are included in the overall restaurant charge.

One time we had a problem with laundry running, when some black socks were included in the load.  That was the one time I forgot to make the laundry as wash in cold water.

1 hour ago, Ninebark North said:

Thanks Crew News, that is great advice and a great link you have attached. And thanks for the encouragement on new additional questions..

1) So here goes... Is there a daily activity schedule posted anywhere? Specifically for things such as cycling classes,  I'm debating on signing up for a 3 class package and bringing my cycling close and shoes, but it really depends on the class scheduled times. The $49 laundry service becomes a no brainier if I go this route as well. 

2) Does the fitness area have any complementary sauna of steam rooms? Or are the only facilities  available as part of the $139 spa package offering? I really cannot justify that spa package at that price, but curious if I did, is a tough to get into given the limited facilities? 

1.  You will receive a daily activities brochure for the next day while your are at dinner. With all of the changes due to COVID port restrictions in the Caribbean, they change frequently.  Here is a link to my When & Where (daily activities) for my 7-Day cruise in November 2021 to give you an idea of typical activities on a sister ship to the Rotterdam:  Typical When & Where Caribbean

2.  No complementary sauna so you will have to ask for daily price list at the Spa check-in desk.  The spa is not crowded at all on port days but will be on sea day when ship is at full capacity.   The Fitness Center has no charge for all of the equipment except for group classes. 

Tip:  On my last two cruises, I have noted, and used, the two podiums now located at the Spa entrance at the end of the Deck 9 indoor pool until 2:30 on Embarkation Day.  One of the podiums is where you can make dining reservations and the other for beverage packages.  Using these podiums will let avoid the long lines at the Deck 2 Reservations kiosk. 

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 2

On 2/25/2022 at 2:32 AM, Crew News said:

Welcome to your first cruise.  As you will discover, there are lots of things to know before you board that will help in your planning.  Feel free to ask lots of questions to learn all that is available.

Speaking for myself, and if I had a free Specialty Restaurant meal, I would opt for the most expensive meal available which translates to the Pinnacle Grill.  If I was paying, I would choose the Tamarind Restaurant and the wasabi filet.

I am a firm believer and many-time user of the daily laundry package ($49 for seven days) and you can turn in laundry twice a day.  I pack enough clothing for 3-4 days and have fresh clothing everyday of my cruise.  With a few exceptions (socks and underwear), laundry will be steamed/pressed and returned on hangers.  If you want items washed in cold water or dried on low setting, just write instructions on the laundry list. I have turned-in hundreds of laundry bags on HAL cruises and have never had an issue when I added special instructions.

A word of caution, every item returned on a hanger will have a piece of laundry name that should be removed ASAP lest you feel an irritating scratching at potentially inconvenient time/location. 

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam-behind-the-scenes/IMG_3214.jpg

Here is a link to the daily menus for the Lido Market and Main Dining Room for your cruise to help you choose which night you want to use your HIA Specialty Restaurant option:

MDR and Lido Market Menus for 7-Day Caribbean cruises.

Hope the above info helps.

This will be our first cruise in many years. Thank you for putting so much info in this post. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ninebark North said:

I did the spin classes on our Dec Eurodam 7 day. They had 4 classes scheduled. Price was $20 per session but they had a 3 session package for $40 so I did that.  I actually got all 4 for the $40 price because the spin instructor had strained something in his back so he didn't ride the 3rd session.  He still let us ride but for free that day. 

I brought cycle clothes but didn't bring my cycle shoes...just used regular tennis shoes.  The pedals have straps for regular shoes but I think they have clips for cycle shoes on the other side of the pedals.  We used the same bikes each day (nobody else is allowed to use them outside of the classes) so once fitted, your bike is ready to go for you each class.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ninebark North said:

Does the fitness area have any complementary sauna of steam rooms? Or are the only facilities  available as part of the $139 spa package offering?

There is a list of free Sauna/Steam rooms for visually every cruise ship afloat

Here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ROCmeNSYj_VwCYs3IUjWbrcEomFeqOrvIDUnXG6GLTg/edit#gid=836403675

If you find any corrections - just make the updates please directly on the sheet...

But to directly answer your question:

Yes - the Rotterdam is listed has having a Free Dry Sauna Room - Non-CoEd

2 hours ago, RGEDad said:

There is a list of free Sauna/Steam rooms for visually every cruise ship afloat

Here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ROCmeNSYj_VwCYs3IUjWbrcEomFeqOrvIDUnXG6GLTg/edit#gid=836403675

If you find any corrections - just make the updates please directly on the sheet...

But to directly answer your question:

Yes - the Rotterdam is listed has having a Free Dry Sauna Room - Non-CoEd

Thanks RGEDad, the link and info for the Rotterdam looks to be for the older ship, not the new Rotterdam vii. But the new vii is a Pinnacle class ship so i will follow the Koningsdam stats for what to expect. This is a great resource. I am always amazed at what people come up with on these forums. 

Thanks again.