capacity

Electra 7

22 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

The count QV reported to Southampton VTS on Sunday upon departure for your current cruise to Norway which I posted above was 1697 passengers. That's ≈82% capacity.

As a matter of interest do you have any capacity numbers from before 2020 ? I'm wondering what was typical, depending on how many cabins are single occupancy and how many more than 2.

43 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

As a matter of interest do you have any capacity numbers from before 2020 ? I'm wondering what was typical, depending on how many cabins are single occupancy and how many more than 2.

Sorry, no I don't have any passenger counts from before 2020. I've been listening to New York vessel traffic radio for quite a few years while watching QM2's departures from New York but they don't report passenger counts there. I've only had access to the Southampton VTS radio feed where the ships do report passenger counts during departures from Southampton since early this year.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It was a busy day in Southampton today with Anthem of the Seas, Britannia, Norwegian Star, Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria all in port.

Here are the numbers for QV's departure today on her cruise to the Mediterranean.

QV - September 4, 2022: 1709 pax; 967 crew; pax/crew: 1.77

That works out to ≈82% of her 2081 lower berth passenger capacity.

Sorry, I couldn't hear the counts for QM2's departure today to Norway.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't able to listen in live for QM2's departure today, but the helpful blue spanners on the Solent Ships YouTube channel were listening in and reported the counts. There is a downtick in the passenger count today but an uptick in the crew count. Makes for a good pax/crew ratio at least.

Here are the numbers for QM2's departure from Southampton this evening on her westbound crossing to New York via Le Havre.

QM2 - September 15, 2022: 1719 pax; 1265 crew; pax/crew: 1.36

That works out to ≈64% of her 2695 lower berth passenger capacity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I wasn't able to listen in live for QM2's departure today, but the helpful blue spanners on the Solent Ships YouTube channel were listening in and reported the counts. There is a downtick in the passenger count today but an uptick in the crew count. Makes for a good pax/crew ratio at least.

Here are the numbers for QM2's departure from Southampton this evening on her westbound crossing to New York via Le Havre.

QM2 - September 15, 2022: 1719 pax; 1265 crew; pax/crew: 1.36

That works out to ≈64% of her 2695 lower berth passenger capacity.

Thank You John...

• 2 months later...

For those who might still be interested in this topic, I'm back on the job with a Southampton VTS radio feed that's functioning once again after a long hiatus.

Here are the counts for QM2's departure today on her Dutch Christmas Markets cruise.

QM2 - December 10, 2022: 2457 pax; 1286 crew; pax/crew: 1.91

That's ≈91% of her 2695 lower berth passenger capacity.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We are on this voyage on this voyage and are told it is sold out by passengers wanting to bring additional family members.   Could be that some cabins are held back for quarantine.    Some passengers may want to be settled into another cabin if they test positive while cabin mate is testing negative.   

2 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

We are on this voyage on this voyage and are told it is sold out by passengers wanting to bring additional family members.   Could be that some cabins are held back for quarantine.    Some passengers may want to be settled into another cabin if they test positive while cabin mate is testing negative.   

On recent QM2 voyages (including our Caribbean cruise in November), the starboard side of deck 5 forward of the B lifts was closed off for possible isolation purposes. I figure that section would account for a reduction of about 100 in the available lower berth capacity.

15 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Here are the numbers for QV's departure today on her Atlantic Coast Adventure cruise to Spain, Gibraltar and Portugal.

QV - December 11, 2022: 1820 pax; 963 crew; pax/crew: 1.89

That's ≈87% of her 2081 lower berth passenger capacity.

That’s presumably pretty good for this time of year?

22 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

That’s presumably pretty good for this time of year?

Not sure what's typical for this time of year. It's certainly better than last year around this time when I was reporting less than 60% of capacity for QM2 and QE with QV not yet back in service. I suppose there are still some cabins being held back for possible isolation use on QV although I don't know that for sure. If so, that 87% figure for QV today does sound pretty good to me.

44 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

What is "lower berth capacity"? I was under the impression QV held 2000plus passengers.

Thanks

Jack

Lower berth capacity is essentially not counting the extra capacity of cabins with third and fourth berths (where those are often configured as upper berths). I don't know for sure if it counts extra berths such as sofa beds that aren't physically "upper" berths, but I suspect it does not.

In general it seems to be a pretty good way to measure how full a ship is since it's difficult for a ship to sail with all its extra berths occupied. Cruise lines strive to sail at greater than 100% capacity, meaning more than the lower berth capacity.

As an aside, it's interesting to note QM2's lower berth capacity increased from 2,620 to 2,695 after the 2016 remastering. But I don't think her maximum passenger capacity changed by much. The remastering added quite a few new double occupancy cabins on deck 13 but quite a few of the previous four berth cabins were also reclassified to only allow double occupancy after the remastering.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry, I didn't hear the figures for QV's departure today from Southampton for her world voyage.

Here are the figures I heard for QM2's departure from Southampton today for her world voyage.

QM2 - January 11, 2023: 2186 pax; 1269 crew (pax/crew: 1.72)

That works out to ≈81% of her 2695 lower berth passenger capacity.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

It's been quite a while since the Southampton VTS radio feed (provided by Solent Ships) has been working. It's back operating now in time for the departures of QV and QM2 this afternoon/evening. Here are today's figures if anyone is still interested.

September 1, 2023

QV: 1900 pax; 980 crew (pax/crew: 1.94)

That's approximately ≈91% of her 2081 lower berth passenger capacity.

QM2: 2610 pax; 1266 crew (pax/crew: 2.06)

That's approximately ≈97% of her 2695 lower berth passenger capacity.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

On 12/12/2022 at 4:58 PM, bluemarble said:

Lower berth capacity is essentially not counting the extra capacity of cabins with third and fourth berths (where those are often configured as upper berths). I don't know for sure if it counts extra berths such as sofa beds that aren't physically "upper" berths, but I suspect it does not.

In general it seems to be a pretty good way to measure how full a ship is since it's difficult for a ship to sail with all its extra berths occupied. Cruise lines strive to sail at greater than 100% capacity, meaning more than the lower berth capacity.

As an aside, it's interesting to note QM2's lower berth capacity increased from 2,620 to 2,695 after the 2016 remastering. But I don't think her maximum passenger capacity changed by much. The remastering added quite a few new double occupancy cabins on deck 13 but quite a few of the previous four berth cabins were also reclassified to only allow double occupancy after the remastering.

Currently on QM2 certainly feels very busy and full. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

QM2 is near capacity for her return to service on her short two-night cruise to Zeebrugge following her drydock in Rotterdam. Here are the figures.

November 16, 2023

QM2: 2576 pax; 1251 crew (pax/crew: 2.06)

That's ≈96% of her 2695 lower berth passenger capacity.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

QM2 is near capacity for her return to service on her short two-night cruise to Zeebrugge following her drydock in Rotterdam. Here are the figures.

November 16, 2023

Assuming you also watch the Solent Ships streams, it was lovely to see her lit up with her new lights

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MylesS said:

Assuming you also watch the Solent Ships streams, it was lovely to see her lit up with her new lights

Yes indeed. I usually listen along to the VTS Radio feed Solent Ships provide on their Discord server to hear the counts for myself. Today I just reported the counts as listed in the chat by the blue spanners. It was lovely to see QM2 lit up with her new lighting, especially the blue/purple aft lighting, as she departed Southampton this evening. I'll post a capture on one of the other threads discussing what's new with QM2 following her drydock.

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

November 16, 2023

It’s a three night cruise.