Is carnival getting drink stations?

codeyell0

On 2/19/2022 at 8:31 PM, mz-s said:

I wonder how the soda tastes, sometimes the water on the ship is perfectly safe to drink but doesn't have the pure taste you'd think would be necessary to make a nice glass of pop.

Ummm -i dont think a soda fountain uses tap water -they use carbonated water that comes in canisters like the soda syrup does (at least every soda fountain i have seen/worked with does) 

Edited by MoTex

My guess is they don't do it because they are afraid or waste costing them money. 

This...and can you imagine the disgusting mess the machine and surrounding area would be?  We all have seen what happens at the ice cream machine when kids are left on their own, yikes!  

38 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Currently, Carnival passengers get their own tea and a few other drinks. I don’t see those areas messy. 

I agree and the only part of the buffet area that I frequently think is nasty is the ice cream area, and that's because there are kids using the machines that don't know how to act. Carnival should just raise the machines up a foot or so to avoid this issue.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I agree and the only part of the buffet area that I frequently think is nasty is the ice cream area, and that's because there are kids using the machines that don't know how to act. Carnival should just raise the machines up a foot or so to avoid this issue.

or they can have a kid sized dispenser and an adult sized dispenser. Then the kids can have at it. Lol

• Haha 2

On 2/20/2022 at 5:18 PM, canwegonow said:

So, does the soda station work if you have the soda package? Or does it charge by the glass?

If you have the package, you just scan your card and it will let you fill your cup.  Its something like $.22-.24 an ounce if you don't have a drink pkg.  

Guest BasicSailor
On 2/19/2022 at 9:31 PM, mz-s said:

I wonder how the soda tastes, sometimes the water on the ship is perfectly safe to drink but doesn't have the pure taste you'd think would be necessary to make a nice glass of pop.

You're right about this.  Hate that filtered taste you get on some of the older ships. 

Guest BasicSailor
5 hours ago, mz-s said:

They did raise those ice cream machines on a few ships, actually noticed this on the Fantasy class.

On 2/20/2022 at 1:07 PM, Joe817 said:

Not me. On our sailings I only drink tap water(when I want a drink of water, lol.) In fact, the tap water from the ship actually tastes better than the tap water I drink here at home. As always, YMMV. :classic_wink:

lol, mine too.  I have to use a Brita pitcher here at my house since the water has a gnarly taste.  

I remember having "different"-tasting water on one of my early cruises, but the ship water has been great since.  

On 2/20/2022 at 3:12 PM, boomhower said:

I love Carnival but this is one thing that really aggravates me.  I don't like that kids have to go to the bars to get soft drinks and it makes the bartenders even busier.  

Yep, had a kid come up to the aft pool bar on Sunrise this past week to get a soda.  A lady next to him told him he shouldn't be at the bar since he was under-age.  (At first I thought it was his mom, but apparently it was just some busybody.)    

I politely observed that kids HAD to come to a bar to get sodas and he had every right to be there to get a soda, and the lady shut up.

I ended up getting into the elevator with the kid and some of his friends and he said to them "Hey, THIS guy is cool!  He stood up and defended me at the bar!"   🙂  

I mentioned the soda machines on Mardi Gras and the bartenders both exclaimed "They need those on ALL ships!"   And I agree.  

With Bottomless Bubbles I tip fifty cents on soda receipts, which helps make the bartenders smile, but they really need to be able to focus on mixing drinks and alcoholic potables.  

On 2/20/2022 at 3:12 PM, boomhower said:

Drink stations would allow kids a more appropriate place to get drinks and adults would get served quicker at bars. My guess is they don't do it because they are afraid or waste costing them money. 

I think we'll see them gradually filter onto more ships as they go in for drydock.  I sure hope so.  

On 2/20/2022 at 7:18 PM, canwegonow said:

So, does the soda station work if you have the soda package? Or does it charge by the glass?

As previously mentioned, it actually charges by the ounce.  The proximity sensor on the machine is pretty sensitive, and it's easy for it to scan the card twice if you're not quick in and out.  If it does, it will interpret the second scan as a new soda request and block you from getting soda for a few minutes.  

Edited by Pellaz

On 2/21/2022 at 1:29 PM, MoTex said:

Ummm -i dont think a soda fountain uses tap water -they use carbonated water that comes in canisters like the soda syrup does (at least every soda fountain i have seen/worked with does) 

Soda fountains use whatever water supply is connected.  Most use tap water that goes through an additional filter system.  Some are connected to a filtered water supply. or The carbonation is created by use of a carbonator pump and adding CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) to the water.  The CO2 is supplied in canisters of varying size as needed to meet demand.  Syrup is the last thing added to create Coke, Root beer, Sprite, etc.

On 2/23/2022 at 6:45 AM, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

They are probably just going to be on the Excell class they were a pain in the ass to use

How was it a pain? You grab a glass, add ice, swipe your card, then dispense the soda. I never had any issues with it on the Mardi Gras. So much quicker and efficient than the traditional way waiting 30+ minutes at the bar to get a soda.

Edited by CruisingFromLA
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, CruisingFromLA said:

How was it a pain? You grab a glass, add ice, swipe your card, then dispense the soda. I never had any issues with it on the Mardi Gras. So much quicker and efficient than the traditional way waiting 30+ minutes at the bar to get a soda.

Seems to work pretty well in every convenience store/mini-mart in the country as well as most fast food places.  

• Like 2

Guest BasicSailor
1 hour ago, Buckimion said:

Do any of the ships still have the self-serve beer fountains? Elation was the last time I saw one and that was before it's big makeover.

There fading quick. 

For quanity users the drink dispensers use water that has met the specifications of the syrup manufacturer. I have machines that have as many as eight filters to meet the spec. The same water is used to make the ice to maintain the taste quality. After you pay for the machinery lease and mandatory factory service the soda is much cheaper than in cans or plastic. Most large users pay a fee for each cup (often supplied by Coke or Pepsi) and they get as much syrup as they need, so in effect a refill costs nothing additional beyond water, CO2, and power. 

Some sharp operators will adjust the machines to water down the drink and discourage people from refilling, They will then sell the extra concentrate to small fry users. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, CruisingFromLA said:

I haven't ever waited half an hour for a drink lol, And the swiping of the card worked maybeeeee half of the time. 

4 hours ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

I haven't ever waited half an hour for a drink lol, And the swiping of the card worked maybeeeee half of the time. 

Not a half-hour, not normally, but I've had to wait several minutes to get a bartender's attention, and of course it's a bit of a waste of their talents to pour a soda or open a can.  

Not sure why you had a problem with using your card.  It's pretty straightforward if you get your ice first.