On the Nieuw Amsterdam and happy to answer questions

lupaglupa

So many people have helped me in the past so I thought I'd return the favor. We left Fort Lauderdale yesterday and spent today at Half Moon Cay. We were told there are about 1000 passengers on board,  so slightly less than half full. The ship is immaculate,  the crew are (as always) wonderfully friendly and helpful,  the food is excellent,  and we are having a grand time. 

• Like 4

Will be boarding next week! Thanks for offering to answer q's!

1. How was your boarding experience? Specifically, did you check in right at your specified boarding time or did you arrive early with no issue? About how long was the duration from getting out of the car and walking on the ship?
  2. How is the wifi connection - I've read mixed things on this.
  3. As a first time HAL cruiser - I'm also curious about any MUST eats and drinks.. I'll give you a few days to come back on that one 😉

Thanks again and enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mast3rn8 said:

1. How was your boarding experience? Specifically, did you check in right at your specified boarding time or did you arrive early with no issue? About how long was the duration from getting out of the car and walking on the ship?
  3. As a first time HAL cruiser - I'm also curious about any MUST eats and drinks.. I'll give you a few days to come back on that one 😉

Must try the Dutch Cafe.  Especially the pea soup, ham sandwich and cookies (almond and chocolate).

17 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Must try the Dutch Cafe.  Especially the pea soup, ham sandwich and cookies (almond and chocolate).

I'd love to try the Dutch Cafe - been seeing nothing but good things about the place but unfortunately this ship doesn't have this restaurant.

28 minutes ago, mast3rn8 said:

I'd love to try the Dutch Cafe - been seeing nothing but good things about the place but unfortunately this ship doesn't have this restaurant.

Opps!  Sorry as I thought it was the NS you are sailing on.

20 hours ago, mast3rn8 said:

We arrived early and basically walked right on. There were lots of smiling, helpful people at the port moving us through the steps. Even with the additional health requirements it was very fast. I'd guess the whole process took 10 minutes, a lot of that walking forward. Our cabin was ready and we went exploring a bit before lunch.

The wifi is fine for emails and basic searches. I have not tried videos or more demanding things. There is a real difference in speed early in the morning  -  it's much faster when fewer people are on.

We find the food on HAL  generally very good. This is our 4th cruise on HAL, 9th cruise overall and HAL has always had the best food. I did try the Dive In fries for the first time yesterday and they are as good as reported. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, richwmn said:

would you be so kind as to confirm your schedule for this week, and next week if you know it?

Thanks

We're just doing one week. Half Moon Cay, sea day, Amber Cove, Grand Turk, sea day, Nassau,  home. 

20 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

Thanks so much - we're also boarding next weekend.  Looking forward to a week in the Retreat!

Are they doing 2 shows or just 1?  What are the times?

Sue/WDW1972

Just one mainstage show. Times seem to vary but mostly about 7:30 starts. The comics do a 7 and a 7:45. 

20 hours ago, Navybikermom said:

I’ll be on the NA in March and wondered about why they changed my cabin without notice. Is Deck 4 used for quarantine?

The doors are closed so it does seem that's the quarantine area. We seen no signs and heard no chatter about anyone being sick. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lupaglupa said:

Just one mainstage show. Times seem to vary but mostly about 7:30 starts. The comics do a 7 and a 7:45. 

Thank you.  We were on the Rotterdam for 11 nights in December so I think we've seen them all, which takes the pressure off trying to get to the theater every night.  We had Cantare on that cruise - do you know who the guest entertainment is on NA right now?

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lupaglupa said:

We arrived early and basically walked right on. There were lots of smiling, helpful people at the port moving us through the steps. Even with the additional health requirements it was very fast. I'd guess the whole process took 10 minutes, a lot of that walking forward. Our cabin was ready and we went exploring a bit before lunch.

The wifi is fine for emails and basic searches. I have not tried videos or more demanding things. There is a real difference in speed early in the morning  -  it's much faster when fewer people are on.

We find the food on HAL  generally very good. This is our 4th cruise on HAL, 9th cruise overall and HAL has always had the best food. I did try the Dive In fries for the first time yesterday and they are as good as reported. 

Great info. Thanks a bunch!

• Like 1

We will be on the NS end of March. As of now:

Is there testing on the pier prior to boarding/or is antigen test 2 days before enough?

Is there any mandatory testing of passengers during Caribbean cruise?

Is there any mandatory testing of passengers before returning to FT. L?

Do any of the Caribbean ports test passengers before they get off the ship?

Are dining areas crowded; ie buffet and MDR?

Lots of questions.....

Thanks.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

Thank you.  We were on the Rotterdam for 11 nights in December so I think we've seen them all, which takes the pressure off trying to get to the theater every night.  We had Cantare on that cruise - do you know who the guest entertainment is on NA right now?

Sue/WDW1972

The two comics are Ken Boyd and Cisco Duran. One we liked,  the other not so much. We haven't been to the Mainstage dance shows as they didn’t appeal to us. The piano quartet at Lincoln Center Stage is very good.

9 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

We will be on the NS end of March. As of now:

Is there testing on the pier prior to boarding/or is antigen test 2 days before enough?

Is there any mandatory testing of passengers during Caribbean cruise?

Is there any mandatory testing of passengers before returning to FT. L?

Do any of the Caribbean ports test passengers before they get off the ship?

Are dining areas crowded; ie buffet and MDR?

Lots of questions.....

Thanks.

I replied last night but it seems to have gotten lost so I apologize for the delay. 

Our antigen test was enough and we were not tested at the pier. We have not been tested at any ports and I'd be surprised if we were. If anything the rules seem to be relaxing. When we got to Amber Cove yesterday there were signs requiring masks everywhere but our excursion guides told us the mask mandate for DR had just been lifted. 

As to crowds, we've seen none except at the raffle for free diamond earrings! The caption told us we have 900 some passengers and 700 some crew so we are spoiled at every turn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lupaglupa said:

I replied last night but it seems to have gotten lost so I apologize for the delay. 

Our antigen test was enough and we were not tested at the pier. We have not been tested at any ports and I'd be surprised if we were. If anything the rules seem to be relaxing. When we got to Amber Cove yesterday there were signs requiring masks everywhere but our excursion guides told us the mask mandate for DR had just been lifted. 

As to crowds, we've seen none except at the raffle for free diamond earrings! The caption told us we have 900 some passengers and 700 some crew so we are spoiled at every turn.

Thanks so much. I’m glad that you are enjoying your cruise.

• Like 1

Hi there, Hope  you are enjoying your cruise.  I sailed the Rotterdam in January. From what I understand the NS is pretty much the same.

I'm wondering about the spa package. Hot beds and pool.  Did you try the spa? Was it worth the cost?  Thanks so much.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sassy~one said:

Hi there, Hope  you are enjoying your cruise.  I sailed the Rotterdam in January. From what I understand the NS is pretty much the same.

I'm wondering about the spa package. Hot beds and pool.  Did you try the spa? Was it worth the cost?  Thanks so much.

I've never tried the spa. It looks nice but I'm not much of a spa goer -  on ship or off

• Like 2

On 2/23/2022 at 5:19 AM, sassy~one said:

From what I understand the NS is pretty much the same.

Just a gentle reminder, the OP is on the New Amsterdam, not the New Statendam (can get confusing)!!😊

Edited by PSR
  • Like 2

On 2/22/2022 at 8:46 PM, Montanabound said:

We’ll be on NA the end of March for our first HAL cruise.  Forgive me if my questions are answered elsewhere on the board, but do they provide bathrobes, and do they have shampoo in little bottles or in shower dispensers?  Thanks, and enjoy your cruise!

All rooms have bathrobes 

• Like 1