PH1 -Regatta 7 March; how many staff assigned to your room

JenniferLY

Hi All.  It will be our 1st time on Oceania in a few weeks.  I was wondering how many staff attend to your room in PH1 category.  I know there would be a housekeeper and a butler (wow!) but was wondering if there's anyone else?  I want to bring a few little Aussie gifts for the staff who would be servicing our stateroom and don't want to leave anyone out.  Thanks!

2 minutes ago, JenniferLY said:

Hi All.  It will be our 1st time on Oceania in a few weeks.  I was wondering how many staff attend to your room in PH1 category.  I know there would be a housekeeper and a butler (wow!) but was wondering if there's anyone else?  I want to bring a few little Aussie gifts for the staff who would be servicing our stateroom and don't want to leave anyone out.  Thanks!

We usually have 3 - butler, housekeeper and assistant

Just now, JenniferLY said:

There is a steward and assistant who service your cabin. Depending on the length of your cruise,  you may start and end with different folks. As nice an idea as an “object” gift may sound to you, money is the language all crew understand and appreciate.

FWIW, many many moons ago, I worked as a ski instructor at a Lake Tahoe ski area that catered to many “ski week” vacationers. As you might expect, $ tips provided the flexibility to address pressing financial needs. But, the well meant ski hats, pins, “mementos from wherever” et al. gifts (still much appreciated) joined the sometimes dozens of other duplicates collected over a winter season.

Cash (and a handwritten personal note along with individual accolades in the end-of-cruise comment form) is king!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

FF makes a good point, cash is better than an object. Also remember that the crew live in very tight quarters and have very little storage space.

There is/are also “off duty” butlers who will handle your request when your butler is on break or otherwise occupied.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jancruz said:

plus 1 more for cash although in addition I sometimes bring Sees fudge 

Jancruz1

Years ago when I had my own business I had a vendor from City of Industry that sent me a big box of Sees for Christmas. Loved them. I love sweets, unfortunately I have to keep away from them, except for cruises and end of Nov through Christmas. 

Cash should be US Dollars....the currency used on the ship and handled best for foreign ports as well   Second would be Euros  if it is an all euro-origin crew.      Crew has very limited space and storage of any gift is hard..even candy   Dollars can be used in the crew bar.   

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Cash should be US Dollars....the currency used on the ship and handled best for foreign ports as well   Second would be Euros  if it is an all euro-origin crew.      Crew has very limited space and storage of any gift is hard..even candy   Dollars can be used in the crew bar.   

Believe me Dan they do not store the candy..

Jancruz1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Years ago when I had my own business I had a vendor from City of Industry that sent me a big box of Sees for Christmas. Loved them. I love sweets, unfortunately I have to keep away from them, except for cruises and end of Nov through Christmas. 

Orv, Stu and I just got on Regatta to do  the same cruise where we picked you up in Santa Barabra and we go on to SFO overnight..

Jancruz1

Thanks all for your advice. I was planning on giving $$ as well (USD); I have both Aussie and American citizenship (born and raised in Boston) and will be travelling with my dad . Just thought that since this will be the 1st Regatta cruise in 2 years and I'll most likely be one of the few (if only) Aussie on board, a little trinket or chocolate from Oz would be nice.   And we just opened up our borders to the world yesterday, the timing would be fitting 🙂 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Believe me Dan they do not store the candy..

Jancruz1

+1 to that!

I sometimes take along chocolate bars from our local chocolatier.  We rubber band the tip around the chocolate.  Once our room steward sheepishly said he did not like chocolate.  His assistant snatched it from his hand like the snap of a mouse trap.

BTW a few bills and a chocolate bar are just right for room service.  -Katie

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jancruz said:

Orv, Stu and I just got on Regatta to do  the same cruise where we picked you up in Santa Barabra and we go on to SFO overnight..

Jancruz1

Have fun, we wish we were there. We are on Celebrity on that same itinerary with a group of 8 in May. Definitely looking forward to it. Tell Shari hi when you're in SF. 

On 2/21/2022 at 2:38 PM, Jancruz said:

plus 1 more for cash although in addition I sometimes bring Sees fudge 

Jancruz1

Ohh! I miss my See's!  When I lived in SF, I had a friend whose husband worked there and she used to bring in boxes of See's every week!  OP: Tangible gifts, while thoughtful, are not the best choice for people who have limited cabin space and limited suitcase space when their contracts end.  Very gracious of you to think ahead and want to provide something other than cold cash.