New to MSC, how to compare what's a good cruisefare

firefly333

I'm on a group cruise march 12 2023. .. I didnt pick the date. Oasis out of miami so I'm trying to find a cruise as a b2b. I've done oasis 2 other times .. dont want oasis.

MSC has a cruise on Divina for 14 days feb 24 2023, looks like a b2b put together. Insides start at $1460. Solo gty inside

I called and she said I could do a status match which might change the price. I put in rcl but I'm also up on carnival. Would one work better than other for status match? Obviously i usually cruise out of Galveston. 

Is this a good price?

Do all bookings get to cancel within 48 hours?

I dont like pasta, or italian, would food be ok for a non pasta eater?

I dont even knkw where to start. Is this a good price or wait the 3 to 5 days to status match. What would that gain me?

She said no discounts for state or being a senior. All pay same price. Unusual. Can someone give me a starting pt what to look for? I've avoided msc in the past because I dont eat italian. Hope there are other choices. Just want to male the best of flying to miami.

Is this a ok ship?

Hi Firefly

I can't speak on the food because it is so subjective. I've cruised MSC several times but all in the Yacht Club, and their food and service are excellent. The Yacht Club has all kinds of cuisine and options. I don't have experience in the main dining room, so I will leave the others to comment on. 

Your TA is right, being matched to a higher loyalty does help. Depending on the level, you can receive 5%+another 10% on selected cruises, you will always get an extra $50 OBC, plus more. You should pick the highest loyalty level that you have attained. You can only submit 1. So if RCL is higher, then use RCL. 

Here's the link that you can read up on the different tiers and benefits of their Voyager Club. 

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/manage-booking/msc-voyagers-club

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise!

image.thumb.png.314eea04c86661a1d5bd6ddd65db2001.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seapad said:

Hi Firefly

I can't speak on the food because it is so subjective. I've cruised MSC several times but all in the Yacht Club, and their food and service are excellent. The Yacht Club has all kinds of cuisine and options. I don't have experience in the main dining room, so I will leave the others to comment on. 

Your TA is right, being matched to a higher loyalty does help. Depending on the level, you can receive 5%+another 10% on selected cruises, you will always get an extra $50 OBC, plus more. You should pick the highest loyalty level that you have attained. You can only submit 1. So if RCL is higher, then use RCL. 

Here's the link that you can read up on the different tiers and benefits of their Voyager Club. 

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/manage-booking/msc-voyagers-club

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise!

image.thumb.png.314eea04c86661a1d5bd6ddd65db2001.png

Hi I havent spoken to my ta who is on a cruise on odyssey. I called a random person at ms who sounded very confused.

I'm solo and it showed 2 levels you can upgrade to. One level includes drinks and internet for 2 devices. Seems a waste since I'm solo. $240 .. there is one more level that said sold out!! So I dont know what it included. Though I'd like wifi but not much of a drinker.

It's going to Panama so maybe that's why the upper level is already sold out? Whatever it is .. upgraded drinks? Who knows. Dinners?

Going into spring break a popular time of year. Dont know if this current sale is good or just wait.. is this sale anything special or all pretty much the same? 

As a solo traveler I would WAIT.  Very, very often there is no single supplement on cruises.  On the Divina in September the solo BALCONY rate Fantastica was about $550 for 7 nights with taxes.  You are too far out at this point to get such deals.  I'd hold for now --- there will be much better deals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ddlb said:

As of yesterday for example the yacht club inside on the Mera April 3 Cruise was half priced for one person. Instead of two in an inside cabin you could each get your own!

This is precisely what DH and I did on the Divina in September (but not in YC); we got two adjoining Balcony Cabins for exactly the same price as dual occupancy in just one of them. The crew thought we were crazy with two cabin #'s. I thought it was genius. One room was for bathing, dressing, etc, and the other was for sleeping.  It was a brilliant arrangement.

• Like 1

I know that’s where I got the idea and told my friend about your former post! I thought it was funny that you each had your own  bathroom. I’m kind of in a dilemma don’t know if I should just go ahead and switch our booking to two individual yacht clubs or wait to see if we’re going to get an option to bid on a yacht club balcony time is running out. Not sure if I’ll even get an invitation to bid now since the cruise is April 3 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ddlb said:

As of yesterday for example the yacht club inside on the Mera April 3 Cruise was half priced for one person. Instead of two in an inside cabin you could each get your own!

Sounds awesome, just gotta figure it out more. I feel a little lost if I'll like the food if I dont like italian. 

Unfortunately the march 12 oasis I'm stuck with that date to work around. Or I'd look at your april 3 deal. No solo supplement would be awesome. 

I'm trying to read here but this forum isnt as active as some others. Trying to learn fast lol. I put in for status match yesterday. They said 3 to 5 days, then I will have that .. lol whatever that means to me. 

21 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Sounds awesome, just gotta figure it out more. I feel a little lost if I'll like the food if I dont like italian. 

Unfortunately the march 12 oasis I'm stuck with that date to work around. Or I'd look at your april 3 deal. No solo supplement would be awesome. 

I'm trying to read here but this forum isnt as active as some others. Trying to learn fast lol. I put in for status match yesterday. They said 3 to 5 days, then I will have that .. lol whatever that means to me. 

If memory serves, the food is a variety, not just Italian.

32 minutes ago, hapytobehr said:

If memory serves, the food is a variety, not just Italian.

Yes, they have more than Italian food. Generally less beef options than Carnival or Royal Caribbean. You can get steak any night for an up charge, included on Elegant night.

I previously posted copied or recent Meraviglia dinner menus in this thread: 

On 2/25/2022 at 2:13 PM, firefly333 said:

The food is not just Italian. 

The buffet on the Divina will have a wide range food beyond Italian  at all three meals.

Besides standard North American fare, there will also be areas on board ship that will serve food specific to the various international groups on board.

Hint: Make sure you find the warm, gooey, sticky buns offered every morning at breakfast. They are usually in the pizza area. The tray is emptied fast and you may have to wait for the next tray fresh out of the oven to appear.

MSC also has some of the best corned beef hash for breakfast of any cruise line I have been on (Celebrity's was greasy and flavorless last week). It will be in the "English" section. 

As you enter the buffet on the starboard side, the first area you will pass is the area that contains freshly cooked hamburgers, fries, and other fast food items so dear to some of the passengers.

Please do browse the entire buffet and try some of the other offerings.

As far as the Italian food, it is not the bastardized offerings of US chains.  Many of the recipes will be from Naples/Rome and the Tuscany regions. Surprise! Surprise! Not all dishes have tomato sauce, garlic  and piles of pasta. There will be plenty of vegetables. Hint: Do not ask for "garlic" bread. It is not Italian and isn't served.

In the MDR for dinner, there will also be a variety of food on the menu. MSC looks upon dinner as the time to sit around the table and enjoy the companionship of one's table mates over the period of 1 1/2  - 2 hours.

They have also adapted to the "Gobble and Go" mentality of US guests.  Service will be faster than the usual pace, but still may be slower than some would like.

Hint: Bread will be served to you at the start of the meal from a tray containing very bread types (no bread basket on the table) and may not appear again during the rest of the meal. Take more that one piece if that is what you may eat during the course of the entire meal.

General statement: The desserts on MSC are freshly made and are excellent. However, they are more "European" in composition which means many will find them lacking in sweetness.

Don't miss the gelato. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm a solo traveler MSC convert who loved the Divina so much that I cruised it twice last year and am going again in October.  Let me caution you that the 48 hour cancel is cancel and shift funds to another cruise - not cancel for a refund.  My comparison is primarily to Carnival because thats the only other line I've been on so far post Covid.  And let me start by saying I felt very safe on MSC last November - they were serving us at the buffet - running temperature checks each morning - and apparently still, the ships are nowhere near full which is always a nice thing.

What I like - the staff is amazing - they have that Carnival happy to see you/ wanting to please you vibe happening.  The food is good - its not all italian but they definitely do a better job with seafood/poultry/pasta than they do with beef.  Their Lido coffee is excellent compared to other lines, and I was particularly happy with their breakfast buffet selections which ranged from greek yogurt to a coldcut/cheese bar.    The ships are lovely,  plenty of pool areas if you like that sort of thing....plenty of indoor spaces to sit and read or chat with other people.  I found their trivia a lot of fun and not overly competitive (no prizes in most cases) - enough other activities to keep me amused - and their drinks and wifi deal is generally less than just buying the internet.  Cabins are clean, beds are comfortable.  I thought their excursions were good and tended to be a bit less expensive than other lines - and the same for the drinks (though I now always book with the drinks/internet included). 

What I wasn't so keen on.  There are mirrors everywhere - occasionally I'd be startled by seeing myself unexpectedly.  The entertainment is not big production shows - it tends to be singers and dancers with some acrobats sprinkled in.  It's fun, they are talented, but I've often left wondering what exactly the theme was as the song selection is a bit disjointed.  Their customer service precruise is hit or miss, and although Guest Services onboard always tried to be helpful, I had a bit of trouble with accents at times - but considering how many languages these folks need to speak - that's on me not them.

Definitely do the status match - and one other oddity is that you should check the price of the two cruises individually - I've often seen them be cheaper to book that way, even if you have to switch cabins between trips.  

My own tip is that there are less than 125 oceanview cabins on the Divina.  So I book a Bella oceanview guarantee and see what happens.  Last time I ended up with a lovely balcony that would have ordinarily been an Aurea.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Homosassa said:

The buffet on the Divina will have a wide range food beyond Italian  at all three meals.

Besides standard North American fare, there will also be areas on board ship that will serve food specific to the various international groups on board.

Hint: Make sure you find the warm, gooey, sticky buns offered every morning at breakfast. They are usually in the pizza area. The tray is emptied fast and you may have to wait for the next tray fresh out of the oven to appear.

MSC also has some of the best corned beef hash for breakfast of any cruise line I have been on (Celebrity's was greasy and flavorless last week). It will be in the "English" section. 

As you enter the buffet on the starboard side, the first area you will pass is the area that contains freshly cooked hamburgers, fries, and other fast food items so dear to some of the passengers.

Please do browse the entire buffet and try some of the other offerings.

As far as the Italian food, it is not the bastardized offerings of US chains.  Many of the recipes will be from Naples/Rome and the Tuscany regions. Surprise! Surprise! Not all dishes have tomato sauce, garlic  and piles of pasta. There will be plenty of vegetables. Hint: Do not ask for "garlic" bread. It is not Italian and isn't served.

In the MDR for dinner, there will also be a variety of food on the menu. MSC looks upon dinner as the time to sit around the table and enjoy the companionship of one's table mates over the period of 1 1/2  - 2 hours.

They have also adapted to the "Gobble and Go" mentality of US guests.  Service will be faster than the usual pace, but still may be slower than some would like.

Hint: Bread will be served to you at the start of the meal from a tray containing very bread types (no bread basket on the table) and may not appear again during the rest of the meal. Take more that one piece if that is what you may eat during the course of the entire meal.

General statement: The desserts on MSC are freshly made and are excellent. However, they are more "European" in composition which means many will find them lacking in sweetness.

Don't miss the gelato. 

Food is very subjective! We find MSC food the poorest of all Cruise lines that includes Celebrity, NCL, Princess and RCI. JMHO!

• Like 1