Print out your documents

Markanddonna

6 hours ago, pris993 said:

Truth is, if quarantined, I believe folks are moving to a different cabin.   Think quarantine cabins are all balconies, based on recent Ruby cruise.  

Around Christmas time this year, the problem became a reality. Passengers testing positive went to a balcony quarantine cabin BUT their travel partners had to isolate (same as quarantine) in their cabin. I know a young mother whose young son was positive and he and his father went to the balcony cabin. She had to isolate in her inside with a four year old. They were allowed out on day #5.

There have been two different couples on HAL cruises (one on the Nieuw Statendam and one on the Rotterdam) when one of the couple tested positive and was moved to a balcony stateroom for quarantine until the ship returned to Fort Lauderdale.  There, they were quarantined at a hotel before one couple returned home and the other returned to the ship to continue their cruise.  

On 2/26/2022 at 9:30 AM, Markanddonna said:

Just an FYI, for the time being, it would be prudent to print out testing, flight, and cruise documents in case of a cyber attack. Things could get crazy.

It is always a great idea to print out your documents. Not just cyber attack.  Print some in duplicates.

If your phone dies, or if the computer reservation system is down, or you need to rebook your flight/hotel, or you need to give the person behind a counter a copy for their files, etc.  

On 2/26/2022 at 10:49 AM, evandbob said:

Perhaps some cruisers just don't like inside cabins?  Why judge them by assuming they are ""scared"?  We all have different tastes, diversity is a good thing that makes cruising appealing to us.  The more choices, the better.

The point about quarantine effecting the balcony cabins more than the inside cabins is what Ilana Schattaeur from Life Well Cruised mentioned in one of her recent videos.  I don't know if it is true or not; I'll defer to her. 

On 2/26/2022 at 10:54 AM, CruiserBruce said:

You can screen capture your documents on your phone and/or tablet. Thus, they would be available even if the internet is down.

But you can't read a document several pages long easily on a tiny phone screen.  Printing things out is just so much easier.

On 2/27/2022 at 1:52 PM, ldubs said:

I would refuse to book a flight without a seat assignment because I want legroom.  I guess I'm scared of getting stuck in a standard economy seat.  I can live with that!  😁

Same here.  DH is 6'5" and he would kill me if I stuck hime in an inside or middle seat without extra leg room.  I plan our flights accordingly.  After 22 cruises and having paid for my share of inside rooms for 4 when my kids were younger, I only book insides now for my adult kids (if they come with us.)  I book balconies for DH and myself.  Preferably extended aft or larger balconies if the price is right.  I cruise for the ocean and my favorite place to be on a cruise is relaxing on my own private balcony.  I wouldn't have any issue at all being quarantined to my room if I had my balcony to escape to.  I would absolutely hate being quarantined in an inside room.  I plan our cruises accordingly.  To each his own.

As to the OP....I always print my travel documents as well as having a summary page for myself with copies for my emergency contacts with itinerary, phone numbers, addresses, and confirmation numbers.  I keep everything in a folder with the summary page on top and the rest in the order that I need them for our vacation.  I also keep them in all in an electronic folder in my email.  I don't always need the paper copies but it is nice to have them in case I do.

Edited by Warm Breezes
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 5:17 AM, Markanddonna said:

Around Christmas time this year, the problem became a reality. Passengers testing positive went to a balcony quarantine cabin BUT their travel partners had to isolate (same as quarantine) in their cabin. I know a young mother whose young son was positive and he and his father went to the balcony cabin. She had to isolate in her inside with a four year old. They were allowed out on day #5.

Oh boy,  that had to be tough.  Even if Mom had been fully vaccinated, I suppose the 5 days would be triggered by the 4 year old.   Or, maybe the vac status doesn't come into play on cruise ships.  Either way, I'm sorry that family had to go through that ordeal.   

12 hours ago, Warm Breezes said:

As to the OP....I always print my travel documents as well as having a summary page for myself with copies for my emergency contacts with itinerary, phone numbers, addresses, and confirmation numbers.  I keep everything in a folder with the summary page on top and the rest in the order that I need them for our vacation.  I also keep them in all in an electronic folder in my email.  I don't always need the paper copies but it is nice to have them in case I do.

Exactly what we do. As I go through life, I learned it is important to plan ahead, anticipate problems, and react properly and thoroughly. Check, double check, and as I haven't learned recently with MSC, triple, and quadruple check. 

15 minutes ago, SC LTC said:

How long does it take to print out E-docks before cruise?

Just a few minutes.  If you have an inkjet printer, I'd suggest that your ink cartridges have enough ink to get the job done without interruption due to one or more of them running out of ink.  

Since we do a lot of independent travel we have learned to always have backups and even backups to backups as well as "Plan B's."  When it comes to documents we always send copies to a backup hotmail account (G-Mail also works) since we can access that account from any device anywhere in the world.  We also print out important docs and find that the hard copies are often faster and easier to use then our phones (or other devices).  Over the years we have watched folks fumbling with their phones trying to find a needed doc while we just walk through since we have hard copies at hand.

Hank

• Like 2