MSC - St. Petersburg?

Feedurhed

Does anyone know if MSC has pulled their stops from St. Petersburg?

We're booked on MSC Grandiosa out of Copenhagen in July 22.
If they stop in Russia, we're going to cancel.

Hate to miss such a beautiful city but can't see going to Russia now.
Would much rather they divert to Stockholm instead.

• Like 2

One of the few cruise lines to not formally cancel St. Pete even though it is unimaginable that they will be pulling in there 2-months from now.   Was shocked to see they actually raised prices on all their St. Pete itineraries this morning. 

Edited by pghflyer

14 hours ago, pghflyer said:

One of the few cruise lines to not formally cancel St. Pete even though it is unimaginable that they will be pulling in there 2-months from now.   Was shocked to see they actually raised prices on all their St. Pete itineraries this morning. 

They raised prices on all Fall 2022 Northern Europe routes by the looks of it.  They also dropped St. Petersburg for 2022 itineraries (info from TA friend).

Unfortunately MSC Grandiosa won't be going to Stockhom. She is too big. The current size limit is 160 000 gross tonnage for Stockholm and 170 000 gross tonnage for Nynäshamn. 

Edited by Kim Viktor

Thanks for the info!   The article says,
"the line has been in touch with alternative ports - such as Stockholm, Helsinki and Tallinn."

If Stockholm can't handle Grandiosa, and we're already porting in Helsinki and Tallinn,
any thoughts on where it could divert to?   Or is most likely to extend time in the other ports?

1 hour ago, Feedurhed said:

Thanks for the info!   The article says,
"the line has been in touch with alternative ports - such as Stockholm, Helsinki and Tallinn."

If Stockholm can't handle Grandiosa, and we're already porting in Helsinki and Tallinn,
any thoughts on where it could divert to?   Or is most likely to extend time in the other ports?

Probably an extra seaday.

Hmmm, hope these vary by ship/ sailing. I am interested in the Poesia but the itinerary already includes those 3 replacement ports they are considering for Grandiosa. Still surprised the price increase has held in spite of the geo-political situation and port loss.

We were booked on Grandiosa for September the 4th out of Copenhagen, yesterday I decided to move our deposit etc to the Virtuosa to Norway out of Southampton for the same dates. Praying the world will be back to Normal next year and we can rebook for the Baltics then. 

On 3/3/2022 at 6:21 PM, pghflyer said:

Hmmm, hope these vary by ship/ sailing. I am interested in the Poesia but the itinerary already includes those 3 replacement ports they are considering for Grandiosa. Still surprised the price increase has held in spite of the geo-political situation and port loss.

I was looking at the fall Poesia itinerary as I was interested in 2 days in Lisbon, and I doubt this will be happening at all: for one, the spring sailing has been cancelled so Poesia is not going to Europe; and second, MSC is not really operating the smallest ships yet (unfortunately).

3 hours ago, Wor1dTrave11er said:

I was looking at the fall Poesia itinerary as I was interested in 2 days in Lisbon, and I doubt this will be happening at all: for one, the spring sailing has been cancelled so Poesia is not going to Europe; and second, MSC is not really operating the smallest ships yet (unfortunately).

I haven't seen anything about Poesia not being in Europe and they are still selling those cruises starting April 30......https://www.msccruisesusa.com/cruise/ships/msc-poesia/itineraries

Edited by pghflyer

The Poesia itineraries I was watching updated today to reflect removal of 2-days St. Pete, prices didn't change.

13/14th Poesia - Added Visby, Sweden and a Sea Day

24/25th Poesia - Added 1 extra day to both Stockholm and Copenhagen

Might I suggest that travelers permanently ban travel to St. Petersburg? There are so many other wonderful places in the world. I don't travel to China, Cuba, or Russia to make a personal statement (not that anyone but me really cares, but hey...) 

• Like 2

Permanent is a long time friend and there are a lot of good people in those places.  But certainly regime change is needed (hopefully of their own free will without foreign interference, we've done enough meddling of our own), and I wouldn't want my money supporting any aspect of taking over free countries.

Edited by pghflyer

Just checked the MSC website today and our itinerary is now showing all new ports in Norway:

Sun, 24 July Copenhagen        * 6PM
Mon, 25 July At Sea * *
Tues, 26 Juyl Alesund 7AM 7PM
Wed, 27 Juyl Hellesylt 7AM 4PM
Th, 28 July Flaam 8AM 5PM
Fri, 29 July At Sea * *
Sat, 30 July Kiel, Germany 9AM 7PM
Sun, 31 July Copenhagen  9AM *

Works for us!