35 Days to the South Pacific with The Inside Cabin - Live from the Zuiderdam

The-Inside-Cabin

Here's the latest from The Inside Cabin

Kona Food Walk (Post #12)

By The Inside Cabin on Mar 17, 2022 07:57 am
Click "Show More Posts" to show all the links to the other posts for the 2022 South Pacific Cruise

feature 1080

The Kona Tasting Tour was a wonderful way to sample some of the best food in Kona

KONA FOODIE TOUR

Our Holland America excursion “The Kona Foodie Tour” would depart from the pier at 12:30 PM.  Not having to rush in the morning to catch an early tour makes for a more pleasant start to the day.

Kona is a tender port, and tender tickets were distributed according to the protocol established during our first port call to Avalon.  Four- and five-star Mariners would assemble in the BB King Lounge while everyone else would get tickets at the Billboard on Board showroom.  We have yet to get a tender ticket as we have always left the ship late enough that tickets were no longer required.

By the time we are ready to go ashore, around 10 AM, they had already called for open tendering, which means tickets were no longer required due to low demand.  The tender ride from the ship to the pier was less than 10 minutes.

welcome to konaWelcome to Konabeach near pier konaBeach near Tender Pier in KonaPete and Judy in Kona 770Pete and Judy at the Kona tender pier with the Zuiderdam on the horizon

Our tour wouldn’t depart for another hour after we arrived ashore.  Many restaurants and shops line the waterfront near the tender pier and we browsed several of the nearby shops.  You can easily spend your day just wandering from one end of the harbor to the other.

Walmart is about a mile away.  I didn’t see any signs about a shuttle bus, but one has been available on past visits.

At 12:30 PM we returned to the tent on the tender pier and met the rest of the group that we would be joining on the Kona Foodie Tour.  The tour is operated by a company called “Kona Tasting Tours”.  Here is a link to their website.  If you are here on a cruise ship day all the capacity will be booked by the ship and you’ll pay a premium for the convenience offered by Holland America.  If you are ever here independently then this is a great activity you can book on your own.

Experiencing a port by visiting several restaurants, accompanied by a knowledgeable and interesting guide, creates lasting memories.  As we casually walk between restaurants, we enjoy meeting and mingling with fellow passengers and travelers.  Whenever I am planning a day’s activities, I always look for food or cooking tours.

Here is the official description for the Kona Foodie Tour from the Holland America Excursion Catalog.

Set off from the pier on a walking tour to experience the best restaurants in Kona, some of which were featured on the show Diners, Drive-ins and Dives! Kona is a foodie’s paradise; immerse yourself in the Kona food scene, with stops at restaurants on beautiful Ali’i Drive. Each restaurant will be serving a delicious dish that will delight your senses. The focus is on local, fresh ingredients, with an emphasis on the fresh fish that Kona is known for.

Enjoy wonderful drink pairings with your tastings, featuring Hawaiian cocktails, local beer and fabulous wine.

In addition to tasting fabulous food and drinks, you will also learn about Kona’s fascinating and colorful history, focusing on the powerful Kings and Queens of the past and the interesting stories behind the origins and successes of the restaurants you will visit.

Your tour will end approximately one mile from the pier, allowing you time to explore on your own as you make your way back to the ship at your leisure.

The head guide, Kris, met us under the tent near the tender pier and introduced his assistants Ani and Keli.  There were 12 guests in our group.

We would visit seven restaurants.  Here is the handout listing them along with the featured items we would be sampling.  We covered about 1 mile at an easy walking pace over level sidewalks.  Elevators were available when we visited Fosters Kitchen which was on the second floor.

menu 770 1Kona Tasting Tour HighlightsKona Map 770Kona Map Food Tour locations

The tour ends at Gypsea Gelato, about 7/10 of a mile from the tender landing.  Keep that in mind as you plan your day.

After some opening remarks and a brief history of Kona and Hawaii, we headed to the Fish Hopper to enjoy their Clam Chowder which won the award for the Best Chowder on the Island four years in a row.  At each stop, Kris would provide some insight about the food we would sample along with information about the history of the establishment.  We spent about 15 minutes at each stop.

Fish Hopper SignOur first stop was Fish HopperClam ChowderFish Hopper’s Clam Chowder

On the way to Tasty Kona, Kris briefly stopped at Moku’aikaua Church – which was the first church in all of the Hawaiian islands.

Tasty Kona wasn’t a restaurant, but a boutique that specializes in artisan-made treats and gift items from Hawaii and intentionally selected items from small businesses around the world.  We sampled some chocolate and iced tea – which were fresh and delicious.  Judy bought some Honey Vanilla Macadamia Nut Butter.

Tasty KonaTasty Kona 

Many Mai Tai’s have a lot of sugar and are quite sweet. The Kona Inn’s Mai Tai’s use dark rum and fresh juice which form a delicious combination producing a fresh, clean taste.  The warm and welcoming lobby is decorated with large fish hung near the ceiling with information on the weight of the fish and who caught it.  The Kona Inn has 20 rooms and is usually booked months in advance.

Kona Inn SignKona Inn SignKona Inn lobbyKona Inn lobbymai taiKona Inn Mai Tai

The Pa’akai Poke Deli is a block off the main street and features Ahi Poke, Mac Salad, and Rice.  We enjoyed a small sample plate that had an interesting combination of fresh flavors.

poke signPa’akai Poke Deli’spoke 770Pa’akai Poke Deli’s Ahi Poke, Mac Salad and Rice

Continuing down Ali’I drive we enjoyed Kona Coast Avocado Fries at Papa Konas.  Spectacular views in an open-air setting created a relaxing environment to enjoy the deep-fried Avocados with a crisp coating.  A fresh Ube-be cocktail made with coconut rum and Ube syrup was a perfect compliment.  Judy enjoyed a non-alcoholic Ube-be cocktail and pronounced it tasty.

papa kona door 770Papa Kona Entranceube be 770Ube Be Cocktailavocado friesPapa Kona’s Avocado Fries

Our final hot food stop was Fosters Kitchen, located on the second floor.  They served craft beer with a sample of their fish and chips.  The fish was perfectly cooked with a light batter that had a slight crunch.   The craft beer was crisp and fresh, and the combination was clean and refreshing.  If you want some of the best Fish and Chips anywhere – head to Fosters Kitchen.

fosters kitchenFoster’s Kitchen is on the second floor. They have wondeful Fish and Chipsfish and chips 770Foster’s Kitchen Fish and Chips

Our tour ended at Gypsea Gelato which featured a nice selection of homemade Gelato made with local ingredients.  I enjoyed the salted caramel and mint chocolate chip.

gelatoGypsea Gelato was our final stopice cream 770I had the salted caramel and mint chocolate chip

On the way back to the tender pier we stopped by the Kona Farmers Market.  There was one stall with fresh produce with the remainder selling locally made handicrafts.  Worth a stop.

farmers marketKona Farmer’s Marketfarmers market 2Kona Farmers Market

Quilt Passions sells quilting fabrics and a little yarn.  It’s a couple of blocks off Ali’I drive and there is a sign which will direct you down a path to the shop.  Running short on time, we made a quick stop.  The shop has a big selection of Hawaiian print & batik style fabrics to accompany their Tropical quilt patterns.  Definitely worth a stop for quilters.  The yarn selection in the back of the shop was limited.  Not too much need for cool weather sweaters in Kailua, Kona.

quilt passionsThere is a sign showing the way to Quilt Passionssail awayPete at the Kona Sail Away

Tonight’s entertainer was British comedian Martin Beaumont.  We have seen him several times over the years and he always puts on a great show.

martinMartin Beaumontmartin 2Martin Beaumont

The post Kona Food Walk (Post #12)appeared first on The Inside Cabin - Exploring the world from the inside cabin.

Read in browser »
http://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/social_connect_tweet.png

Recent Articles:

Fire and Falls on the Big Island (Post #11)
Maui – Whale Watching or Waiting? (Post #10)
Hike to the top of Diamond Head (Post #9)
Pineapple Maze in Hawaii? (Post #8)
Meet and Greet (Post #7)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We enjoy using the Peak Finder app.  

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/peakfinder/id357421934

Download the data in advance and you don't need an internet connection to get information like this - from our tour boat yesterday with Bora Bora in the distance.  This is a screen shot from Peak Finder. 

EF3BE243-F3FA-49FA-A75D-F979D857B3E5.thumb.png.fb7029cbbbab38184846ad9dcb780be9.png

• Like 2

Our tour for today.   HAL tours leave from a the  forward gangway on deck A.    Everyone else, mid ships.  

ALL ABOARD: 4:30 PM

Raiatea Highlights

Easy

Overview

Cancellation

Price

$119.95

/ Adult

$94.95

/ Child

Duration

3.5 Hours

Departs

12:30 PM

/ 8:30 AM / 12:30 PM / 8:30 AM

Top 3 Reasons To Book

• A panoramic drive through the main town of Uturoa
  • Taking the inland road through a giant bamboo forest
  • The marae (open-air temple) of Tainuu, a pearl farm

Board an open air vehicle for a panoramic drive through the main town of Uturoa -- the cultural and administrative center of Raiatea.

Shortly after leaving town, you will see Mount Temehani -- endemic home to the Tiare Apetahi. This extremely rare flower grows nowhere else on earth. An amazing fact about this flower is that each morning, when the sun touches the flower, the petals open with a slight crackling sound.

From the bus, take in the view of the lagoon that is home to some pearl farms. Your scenic drive will pass the coastline and give you a glimpse of Polynesian daily life. Raiatea is a very green island, and your guide will point out flowers and fruits along the way.

Continue on the inland road of Raiatea, joining the east coast road that leads through a giant bamboo forest to the south of the island. Pass through the village of Fetuna, whose primary industry is fishing, then pause for refreshments at the district of Vaiau.

You will stop at the marae (open-air temple) of Tainuubefore heading back to the pier. Time permitting, you may also stop briefly at a pearl farm along the way.

Notes:

Bus tours operate mainly on paved roads, however some road conditions may be bumpy. Guests with bad backs, pregnant women or persons who suffer from motion sickness or vertigo should not participate. Wear comfortable attire including walking shoes. Bring insect repellent, sunscreen, sunglasses, bottled water and a towel. Expensive clothing or jewelry should not be worn on tour. Duration is approximate. Tour operates rain or shine; no weather-related refunds are offered. However, the tour operator reserves the right to cancel the tour if weather conditions could lead to safety issues.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

We enjoy using the Peak Finder app.  

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/peakfinder/id357421934

Download the data in advance and you don't need an internet connection to get information like this - from our tour boat yesterday with Bora Bora in the distance.  This is a screen shot from Peak Finder. 

EF3BE243-F3FA-49FA-A75D-F979D857B3E5.thumb.png.fb7029cbbbab38184846ad9dcb780be9.png

Anyone know if there is an Android version? Found this app that costs?? BTW - love following your blog. Great information and pictures.  

1 hour ago, Hygge! said:

Anyone know if there is an Android version? Found this app that costs?? BTW - love following your blog. Great information and pictures.  

I think it costs $5 one time.    I checked out the free ones.  This one is best.  No ads and works offline.   Worth $5.   Not sure about android.   I would bet there is an android version or something similar.  

French Polynesia Exchange Rates

Price to buy 500 CFP 

Official Bank rate: $4.462

Raiatea ATM Machine: $4.71

Local Tour Operators: $5.00

Holland America Guest Services: $5.04  (They will buy back your CFP at $5.12)

Local Grocery (Champion): $5.88

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Price to buy 500 CFP 

Great to know! Thank you for this detailed exchange info. 

• Like 1

We arrived in Bora Bora this morning.   There were serving Snail Rolls at the Sea View Pool.   Are these replacing the Panama Canal, Sydney Opera House, Hong Kong Harbor Rolls?   Or was this always a south Pacific thing?

snail rolls 770.jpg

snail rolls on bora 770.jpg

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, waiting2retire said:

Curious to know how Bora Bora is handling the new cruise ship restrictions.  It is my understanding that no more than 1200 cruise ship passengers are allowed to visit Bora Bora on any given day. Is that restriction currently in place?  

Don't know.  There are 2 cruise ships here in Bora Bora today. 1300 on Zuiderdam plus 330 on  Paul Gauguin.    

i heard that Arnold Donald (CEO of big Carnivsl) made some calls and got waivers.   I suspect that once cruising returns full force Bora Bora et al  will do well on a steady diet of smaller ships and THEN start to restrict bigger ships.   For now I think the local economy is happy to get anyone to stop by and put some money in the economy. 

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, realnice46 said:

Really enjoying following along with you . Our really good friends are there Ron and Marlene Scott. Say hello if you meet them from Gary and Wilma.

Enjoy your cruise!

We had dinner with a Ron and Marlene a few nights ago from Sacramento area.    Had a great time.    We met at the Texas Hold'em game. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

We had dinner with a Ron and Marlene a few nights ago from Sacramento area.    Had a great time.    We met at the Texas Hold'em game. 

That’s great. We’ve been friends for 52 years. They are lots of fun. It looks like from your posts you are too.

On 3/18/2022 at 2:05 PM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Price to buy 500 CFP 

I bought something with my American Express in Bora Bora.    The exchange rate was $4.64 for 500 CFP.       A credit card gives you the best rate if you don't have foreign  exchange fees, vendor add on fees etc 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 9:15 AM, NanaJPB said:

Hi Pete!

a question … do you and Judy buy a cruise-long pass for the thermal suite?  If so, can you tell me the cost for this 35-day voyage?  Thanks.

Joanna

I am currently on this sailing. My husband and I bought the 14 day couple pass pre-sailing. It was $429 for 14 consecutive days. Once on board we were offered the additional 21 days for $429, so a total of $858 for the entire cruise. 

• Thanks 1

@The-Inside-Cabin, the "snail rolls" are a new one to me and we've been there many a time!  The other rolls were almost always the same (filling might be different sometimes).  Actually, I don't think we ever had Bora Bora buns, lol!  Could be a "supply" issue and Henk is making do with what he has.  These look great to me; I love those little cinnamon rolls they have! 

Linda R.

1 hour ago, cruzingnut said:

@The-Inside-Cabin, the "snail rolls" are a new one to me and we've been there many a time!  The other rolls were almost always the same (filling might be different sometimes).  Actually, I don't think we ever had Bora Bora buns, lol!  Could be a "supply" issue and Henk is making do with what he has.  These look great to me; I love those little cinnamon rolls they have! 

Linda R.

I always love the theme rolls they serve at various ports 

• Like 3