35 Days to the South Pacific with The Inside Cabin - Live from the Zuiderdam

The-Inside-Cabin

I've been following your 'blog' of this cruise in anticipation of our 10/3/22  Hawaii - So. Pacific 45 day cruise on the Zuiderdam.  You've done an Outstanding job of reporting.  I did same thing for our 49 day cruise around So. America back in 2019.  Had a lot of fun with it.  Keep up the great work.  Don

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

King Neptune ceremony toda

What is this ceremony?

Thank you for this thread.  I’m retiring in July and looking forward to taking longer cruises.

31 minutes ago, 0106 said:

What is this ceremony?

Thank you for this thread.  I’m retiring in July and looking forward to taking longer cruises.

Here is an old blog post that describes the ceremony along with a video. 

https://www.theinsidecabin.com/day-99-crossing-the-equator/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Rudy888 said:

We are booked on this cruise next year. I am concerned about the number of sea days and the activities on Holland to pass the time. Lectures, bridges groups. pool,??

There is a lot going on.   Here is a table that has links to the daily when and where’s with more details

https://www.theinsidecabin.com/2022-south-pacific-cruise-itinerary/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Tonight's menu.   Last Gala Night 

surf and turf is back 

25D53CD9-D518-45A4-90C8-647F49725AB7.jpeg

And so it should be.  This is a long cruise so I would expect that.  I got off the koningsdam 10 days ago.  The only lobster available had to be purchased.  I've always found the lobster in the MDR and the one you purchase in the Pinnacle not worth the money.  I had lobster tail in sel de mer and it was fantastic.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

And so it should be.  This is a long cruise so I would expect that.  I got off the koningsdam 10 days ago.  The only lobster available had to be purchased.  I've always found the lobster in the MDR and the one you purchase in the Pinnacle not worth the money.  I had lobster tail in sel de mer and it was fantastic.

I've never tried the lobster in Rudi's.  I will have to give it a try next time.   I wonder if the lobster in the Rudi pop ups is the same as on the Pinnacle ships?  

39 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I've never tried the lobster in Rudi's.  I will have to give it a try next time.   I wonder if the lobster in the Rudi pop ups is the same as on the Pinnacle ships?  

I’m not sure.  Truth be told they are probably both frozen.  I usually had fish when I went to the sel de mer restaurant and it was very good but I think I’ll be having the lobster going forward.  It’s been a minute since I’ve been on the non pinnacle ship.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

Perhaps there was a Mariner's Luncheon because it was such a long cruise and there were multiple Covid tests throughout the 35 days. There were no Mariner's Luncheons on the 2 7-day cruises I have taken, just the 4 and 5 star receptions on the 1st day of the cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2022 at 7:12 PM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Mariner's menu - take 2

Your menus prove to me that when there is corporate will to provide consistently excellent dining for a cruise, it is not an impossibility.  

On 3/30/2022 at 2:38 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

surf and turf is back 

And not just a Filet with Shrimp!  

32 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Your menus prove to me that when there is corporate will to provide consistently excellent dining for a cruise, it is not an impossibility.  

And not just a Filet with Shrimp!  

It looks like I said that steak and lobster is back.  It was the op of this thread.  It may be on long cruises.  It’s not on 7 day.  I think people are reading various things on this thread and assuming it’s the same on every cruise.  This is a 35 day cruise (I believe).  I think people will be disappointed if the assume this is business as usual.  Hal has cut food on shorter cruises.  Nothing to do with supply chain as others assumed.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Very different from the two ceremonies I experienced on a U.S. Navy destroyer many years ago! 😳

I became a Shellback in 1985 on the USS Saratoga.      We "swam" thru engine cans filled with days old garbage.     But even those ceremonies have been cleaned up in the modern Navy.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1