35 Days to the South Pacific with The Inside Cabin - Live from the Zuiderdam

The-Inside-Cabin

10 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Disembarkation day room service is no longer available except for guests in Neptunes.    

Ok

But it was difficult to get a straight answer last night about what's  the actual policy.  

Everyone is eager to please and make an exception "for you" but It appears that disembarkation day room service is no longer part of the standard service level.   

The "new" service standard around pillow chocolates, turn down service, towel animals etc is not well defined.   Based on other peoples reporting the standard is inconsistently delivered across the fleet and seems to be based more on guest requests and individual crew members initiative  rather than the team delivering a consistent product to an established standard.  

I can accept whatever the new service standard may be, but we need to understand the new service standard and whether it is temporary due to COVID or a permanent change.  

Granted these are minor points in an overall outstanding cruise experience but attention to details is what separates the best from the rest. 

I agree - we were on the NS from 2 Feb to 16 Mar (4 cruises) and the levels of service kept changing from cruise without any notice.  I hope this is just startup issue.  We still had a great time just like things to be a little more consistent. 

• Like 2

On 4/3/2022 at 9:38 AM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I suspect the longer cruise may have had a different,  enhanced menu program.    I think the shorter cruises will have a different experience.   

It is a fact that the budgeted per day cost for food per guest on a long cruise is more than on short cruises.

On 4/3/2022 at 9:56 AM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I can accept whatever the new service standard may be, but we need to understand the new service standard and whether it is temporary due to COVID or a permanent change.  

Granted these are minor points in an overall outstanding cruise experience but attention to details is what separates the best from the rest. 

Inconsistency of one's cruise experience from one HAL ship to another regarding the service standards has become the "consistent" experience.  Didn't used to be.  And, with proper training and explanation of the standards to be met for the senior management--and for those individuals then doing their expected jobs in that area--inconsistency of cruise experience would not occur.  Unless, there was a rarely encountered issue for that specific vessel/cruise.  

On 4/3/2022 at 7:38 PM, cruzingnut said:

So that will be where our "Special Night" will be?  Wonder how they can top the Rijks Museum for a location or will it be there again (2019)!  Should be interesting, to say the least! 

2008's Grand World Cruise had a "Special Night" in  Istanbul at the Cistern.  I doubt that there is any guest on that cruise that attended that night's party would disagree with me.  It was a party that was over the top!  

15 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

2008's Grand World Cruise had a "Special Night" in  Istanbul at the Cistern.  I doubt that there is any guest on that cruise that attended that night's party would disagree with me.  It was a party that was over the top!  

People are still talking about those special Istanbul parties.    Looking forward to 2023 and see if they can set a new standard!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

People are still talking about those special Istanbul parties.    Looking forward to 2023 and see if they can set a new standard!

When it happens, details will be appreciated.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Don't forget 2015, when the event was at Ephesus, Turkey!  That was amazing, not only being there at night but the fact that we had the place to ourselves.  Very memorable!

Linda R.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

Don't forget 2015, when the event was at Ephesus, Turkey!  That was amazing, not only being there at night but the fact that we had the place to ourselves.  Very memorable!

Linda R.

I remember reading that this was a "grand night".  Was not on that cruise, unfortunately.  

Catching up with my more detailed posts.   
fca78a7b-8a1f-487c-8d51-8e1368515dfa.jpg

The Inside Cabin – Exploring the world from the inside cabin

Tips and information about world cruising and the adventures of The Inside Cabin

Here's the latest from The Inside Cabin

Six Days at Sea (Post #13)

By The Inside Cabin on Apr 06, 2022 12:41 am
Click "Show More Posts" to show all the links to the other posts for the 2022 South Pacific Cruise

Easy Street Feature

SIX DAYS AT SEA

Today is the first of our six sea days as we head south toward French Polynesia.  This post will cover the entire six-day transit with a few highlights from each day.

NOTE:  I am back home and will now get back to posting for the rest of the cruise.  I like to provide lots of detail for future travelers and the research is much easier with speedy internet. 

SIX DAYS AT SEA

Today is the first of our six sea days as we head south toward French Polynesia.  This post will cover the entire six-day transit with a few highlights from each day.

Some people love sea days – while others fear they will be bored.  We enjoy sea days and on longer cruises, you will find there are many more daily activities than on shorter cruises.  Thirty-day cruises or longer seem to be the length where you get more activities.

For example, on cruises over 30 days you will have a Bridge Director and guest lecturers, plus more staff to coordinate and organize other activities.  This isn’t a hard rule, but the longer the cruise, the more activities you will find on the daily When and Where.

PLAN YOUR DAY

One secret to enjoying your sea days is to carefully read the When and Where each evening.  Sometimes there will be a special pop-up lecture, wine bottle juggling, or a towel animal demonstration.  It’s also useful to scan the events on the Navigator App in addition to the printed When and Where.  Occasionally some events will only be listed in one place so check ‘em both.  If you have any interest in the event, hit the plus sign next to the listing and you will get a reminder of when the event is going to start.

NOTE:  You will find copies of the daily When and Where for this cruise HERE.  As you will see, the When and Where’s have shrunk considerably.  They are now simply a long list of the daily activities and a list of the hours for various venues.  Gone are the ads for onboard shops and other upcoming activities.  Nothing but the facts.  Of course, this is all available on your smartphone using the Navigator app – so the printed copy is getting used less and less by more and more people.  Every so often you will receive a one-page flyer called “What’s happening” which will have a few advertisements for certain activities – see a copy HERE.

DAILY ACTIVITY HIGHLIGHTS

Here are a few of the highlights of the recurring daily activities that were on the schedule during sea days on this cruise.  The times are usually the same but sometimes vary to accommodate other events.

Daily Religious activities

Catholic Mass – 8 AM
Bible Study – 8:30 AM
Shabbat – 5:00 PM

Games and Activities (Varies each day)

Shuffleboard, Yahtzee, Cornhole, Scrabble, Basketball, Uno

Trivia

Lightning Trivia – 10:30 AM – 30 questions (one every 30 seconds) – Other themed trivia (Beer, Travel, Food etc)
4:30 – Traditional Team Trivia
9 PM – Music Trivia

Afternoon Tea 3 PM

Bingo

Mah Jongg

Lecture with Guest Speaker

Time varies – usually 10 AM

Fitness Center Classes

$20 Spin Class
$20 Yoga Class

Tai Chi (no charge)

9 AM Ocean Bar

Coffee Chat in the BB King Lounge

The Cruise and Travel Director will interview a ship officer or guest entertainer.  9:30 AM

coffee ChatCoffee Chat Martin

Beginner, Intermediate & Duplicate Bridge

(9:30/10:30/1:30)

$60 Texas Hold’em tournament

10:30 and 1 PM

Evening Shows

7:30 and 9:30 PM

CROSSING THE INTERNATIONAL DATELINE – TWICE!

Our route from Kona to Raiatea was almost due south.  The International Date Line jogs to the east so the Islands that makeup Kiribati are all on the same side of the Date Line.  Kiribati decided to move the Date Line in 1995 so they would be on the same day as Australia.

Date Line JPGRed Line is the International Date Line 

The Zuiderdam could have decided to ignore the Date Line since we would not make any port calls in Kiribati.  However, due to Tahiti’s COVID PCR test requirement, the ship needed more than 24 hours to process all the passengers and crew.  Moving our clocks resulted in skipping March 12 but having two March 16s.

Because each PCR test takes 30 minutes to process, it was going to be difficult to process the entire ship within 24 hours.  Having two March 16’s would allow the Zuiderdam to date all the tests on the 16thto meet Tahiti’s requirement to have all the tests completed on the 16th.  Having two days on the same date required a lot of manual manipulation of onboard accounting, time and attendance, and other systems.  As it turned out, Tahiti relaxed the requirement before our arrival so had they known beforehand, the Zuiderdam could have avoided changing the clock back 24 hours only to change it back later.

We did get a neat certificate – Copy HERE

HERE is a good website with more information about the International Date Line

THE RETREAT

The Retreat is located on Deck 11, immediately aft of the Crow’s nest.  There are 14 Cabanas for two people and 2 larger Cabanas for families.  The cost for the 35-day cruise was $1,434.  We were given $150 in OBC to compensate for the lack of a working elevator.  The elevator to The Retreat on a Vista ship is a nonstandard size and parts are hard to find per the ship’s Chief Engineer.

The Retreat 1Judy in The Retreat with Markos and Chris 

We enjoyed The Retreat on our the Caribbean and California Coastal Cruises.  On these itineraries, the ship tends to go slower on sea days and there are usually only light winds.  But I was also on a Pinnacle Ship on those itineraries, so it may be more of a function of ship design.  Be aware of the impact of wind on your enjoyment of The Retreat on a Vista Class Ship.  We wouldn’t book a Retreat Cabana again for an entire cruise outside of the Caribbean, California Coastal, or Mexican Rivera – maybe for a few days here or there based on the projected ship’s speed.

The following amenities are included with your cabana rental:

■■ Luxurious loungers and table
■■ Separate seating area (Cabana Club and Retreat only)
■■ Towel setup and bathrobes
■■ Hot and cold towels
■■ Handheld fans
■■ Evian Brumisateur® mister
■■ Chilled bottled water setup
■■ Fruit basket
■■ Healthy breakfast and lunch choices available at the Cabana Club and Retreat
■■ Ice cream and condiments in the early afternoon
■■ Glass of sparkling wine
■■ Chocolate-dipped strawberries and frozen grapes late afternoon
■■ 20% savings on Signature Services at the Greenhouse Spa & Salon on port days

The Retreat 2The Retreat 2 

CANALETTO’s

We had dinner once at Canaletto’s during this cruise.  HERE is a copy of the menu.

Judy ordered the Grilled New York Strip Loin and I enjoyed the Chicken Curry Special and the Lasagna.  Everything was very good.

THE PINNACLE GRILL

Clothesline Candied Bacon is one of the featured appetizers and we gave it a try.  It was very good, a little sweet, but we will have it again.

Clothesline Candied BaconClothesline Candied Bacon 

I paid $15 extra for the 16 oz USDA Prime Dry Aged Delmonico.  It wasn’t as good as the other steaks, despite the extra cost.  I have had this 3 times on other ships, and it wasn’t much better on those ships.  I don’t plan to try it again – at least for a while.

Dry Age 16 oz USDA PRIME DRY AGED DELMONICO

SUNDAY BRUNCH

On earlier cruises prior to 2018, Sunday Brunch was an elaborate buffet spread out in the Main Dining Room and everyone could serve themselves.  Due to changes in food handling regulations, these open buffets were replaced by a Sunday Brunch Sampler menu on Grand Voyages post-2018.  For this cruise, the Sunday Brunch has a special menu with a variety of full serving size items.  A copy of the menu is HERE.

Sunday Brunch pancakesSunday Brunch Fish and CHips

TUXEDO JUNCTION

We gathered a few more people to join us at the Tuxedo Junction on Gala nights.  The Ocean Bar was better suited as a meeting spot, and we now have two “sittings” at 4:30 PM and 7 PM.  Those interested then assemble on Deck 2 of the MDR for dinner.  Getting tables for even large groups is not hard in the MDR after 7 PM.

Tuxedo Junction coupleTim and JulieTuexdo Couple 1Tuexdo Junction 14 March 770Pete and JudyHenk and Jack

CREATIVE WRITING CLASS

Prior to our arrival in Hawaii, I noticed there was a creative writing class every sea day in the Screening Room.  On our way south to Raiatea, I stopped by a few times to check it out.  Jackie Chase was the instructor, and she led the class thru a series of exercises teaching you about different ways to express yourself in writing.  For example, she explained the difference between metaphors and similes and how to think about using each one.  After she introduced the topic, we would spend about 10 minutes writing an example from our own experience and then sharing them with everyone.  There were about 10-15 people in each class.  The class was not a lecture, but very interactive and I found it useful.

KNITTING UPDATE

Judy has been working on the Quake Shawl by Stephen West.  You can find more about the pattern HERE.

Judy KnitingJudy showing the progress of her Quake Shawl 

EVENING ENTERTAINMENT

Here is a rundown of the evening entertainment over the 6 days in transit.

March 11th and March 16th (#2)
Master Guitarist Francis Diatschenko

“a guitarist from Australia.  Classical, Flamenco and Jazz, Modern improvisation, Progressive post-punk and Metal”

March 12th and March 16th (#1)
Michelle Montuori

“With a career spanning nearly 30 years, Michelle Montuori delivers exceptional talent teamed with expert professionalism.
Michelle started her career as a singer/dancer in Malta at the age of 16. The following year at the young age of nearly 17 she started rehearsing for her 1st cruise ship and was bitten by the bug. Michelle has cruised from 1986 until now in various different shows – Dancer in production shows, singer, choreographer, a short stint as cruise director, band singer, bandleader & since 2003 a guest entertainer”

March 14th
Martin Beaumont

“With the ability to switch from character comedy to straight old-style stand-up, top stand-up Martin Beaumont’s diversity ensures every show is different.  King of the one-liner, the jokes come relentlessly, like a one-man mirth machine gun.  Described as one of the nicest men in comedy, Martin Beaumont steamrollers the audience into laughter, with a punchline never more than a few seconds away.“

March 15th
JukeBox Rogues:  A male quartet of musical theater performers gathered from around the world.  They feature a variety of genres for each show ranging from The Four Seasons, Broadway Hits, and Pop Tunes from the past 50 years.  Here is their description from their Facebook page:

“As eclectic as your favourite party playlist, the four handsome guys from ‘JUKEBOX ROGUES’ pride themselves on bringing only the biggest and best tunes to the stage, from Bruno Mars, MJ, and Justin Timberlake, to mega-hits from Luther Vandross, The Temptations & The Four Tops!  Get ready to strut your funky stuff and hit the dance floor as this charismatic group of four fab voices put on a show you won’t forget!”

JB Rogues 770 3Juke Box Rogues

The post Six Days at Sea (Post #13)appeared first on The Inside Cabin - Exploring the world from the inside cabin.

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 4/4/2022 at 8:33 PM, rkacruiser said:

The-Inside-Cabin:  Thanks very much for sharing your cruising experiences and pictures.  I appreciate your efforts and the time it has taken during your cruise to do so.  

Me too.

• Like 2

I have really enjoyed your posts, photos, menus!! It has been great following along.  Glad you had a wonderful cruise.  I have followed this thread and hope you add a note here to jump on to your Viking posts to read your Viking experience.
  One disappointment..   hoping you would have laid down in the hall kicking, banging and screaming..  bring me my room service disembark breakfast.  Sad that is gone for all not in a Neptune..  

Thanks again for all the time and effort posting.  Had fun following!!

Edited by bluesplayer
Auto correct

The Inside Cabin:  Thanks for all of the posts.  We also love The Retreat and rent one for every cruise.  On our last three HAL cruises this year, though, the amenities seem to have been reduced.  I can't remember the last time we were offered cold towels or misters, and I have never seen the handheld fans.  Ice cream?  Fruit baskets?  Not this year.  But the attendants are always lovely, and the cheap champagne flows freely.  For now.

12 hours ago, KKZ1923 said:

The Inside Cabin:  Thanks for all of the posts.  We also love The Retreat and rent one for every cruise.  On our last three HAL cruises this year, though, the amenities seem to have been reduced.  I can't remember the last time we were offered cold towels or misters, and I have never seen the handheld fans.  Ice cream?  Fruit baskets?  Not this year.  But the attendants are always lovely, and the cheap champagne flows freely.  For now.

We weren't aware of the handheld fans until one of our cabana mates requested them.   The Cabana people weren't aware of them, but they found them after they asked their boss.   I think the amenities are still there, but you may have to remind them as to what they are.  

We got fruit baskets without asking and ice cream on request.   

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 10:47 PM, bluesplayer said:

I have really enjoyed your posts, photos, menus!! It has been great following along.  Glad you had a wonderful cruise.  I have followed this thread and hope you add a note here to jump on to your Viking posts to read your Viking experience.
  One disappointment..   hoping you would have laid down in the hall kicking, banging and screaming..  bring me my room service disembark breakfast.  Sad that is gone for all not in a Neptune..  

Thanks again for all the time and effort posting.  Had fun following!!

I did end up getting breakfast as a "favor" but I didn't really expect it and I was really just trying to get them to define the service level clearly and consistently.    I have been reviewing a lot of Viking Cruise videos - there room service menu is amazing.....but I am probably paying double for a similar cabin on HAL......

• Like 2

Here is a screen shot comparing prices on similar sailings between Viking and HAL.   Keep in mind the HAL prices are for inside and the Viking prices is for a verandah with free alcohol at meals, free WIFI and one free shore excursion in every port.   Free wifi is probably $15 a day - Free drinks may $25 and the excursion probably $75 per shore day.      So maybe $100 a day baked into Viking that you would buy with HAL.    Lots of other considerations and factors, but if you want the smaller ship experience with old school service - bring some extra cash.    

image.thumb.png.cd12344bb26b1385fbc554d37e433308.png

• Like 1

Raiatea – Swimming with the sharks (Post #14)

Swim with Sharks Feature 1080 1 of 1

Our first port in French Polynesia started with a fiery sunrise and included swimming with the sharks

SUNRISE

Our first port in French Polynesia started with a fiery sunrise and included us swimming with sharks.

A red glow filled our cabin as I woke up around 5:30 AM.  Fortunately, our route put Taha‘a and Raiatea on our port side so the various shades of red that filled the sky were on display from our verandah.

sunrise 770 1 of 1Sunrise over Taha’a and Raiatea 

Raiatea and Taha‘a’s lush green foliage covers fairly non-descript hills  These islands are similar to many others in the South Pacific without any distinctive features as compared to the iconic Mount Otemanu on nearby Bora Bora.

Gliding by Taha’a we were close enough to watch people leaving their houses, scattered along the coast, and start their daily activities.  There isn’t any real town on Taha’a, but this is the island where most of the snorkeling tours take their guests.  Pearl farms, vanilla farms, and a rum distillery are popular tourist stops.

tahaa Church 770A church along the western side of Taha’a as we sailed by early in the morning. 

UTUROA

The Zuiderdam cut between Taha’a and Raiatea, turning to port, before slowing as we approached Uturoa, the main town, where we spun around our axis before mooring at the dock with our bow facing north.

Town overview 770Uturoa is a small town. This photo shows almost everything. There is a grocery store and ATMs within an easy walk. A wide variety of tourist shops are in the red roofed buildings.Uturoa 770 1 of 1The town of Uturoa with some highlights marked

Local authorities quickly cleared the Zuiderdam and we were on our way at 8 AM, to meet our 8:30 AM tour with L’Excursion Bleue, more commonly known as Bruno’s tour.  Tour details are on his website HERE.  The price is 13,000 CPF (about $120 USD) and is payable in advance.

BRUNO’s TOUR PLANNING TIPS

NOTE:  The normal capacity for his tour is 48 people (4 boats with 12 people each).  Bruno answered emails quickly and once we were confirmed we paid via a special credit card link he provided.

The meeting place is near the Shell Station, a couple of hundred yards away from the Zuiderdam.  You will be assigned a boat number, but your name will be on a clipboard if you forget, and you will be directed to the correct boat.  You don’t need any tickets.

The tour runs from 8:30 to 5 PM.  If everyone on the tour agrees, they can return by 4 PM by cutting down the time for snorkeling at the last stop.

Some masks and fins are available on the boats, but I recommend bringing your equipment to ensure a proper fit.  Fins are not required, but I recommend bringing short fins as they help to tread water, follow speedy fish, and avoid drifting into coral in areas where there is a current.  You will be in deep water for the first stop when you swim with the 6-foot sharks, but the rest of the time you will be in waist-deep water and can stand up at any time.  The water is warm, and you don’t need a wet suit.  The sun will be intense so plan accordingly.

You will be dry when in the boat and cameras and phones are secure – but I would put them in a bag to keep them dry as there is a possibility of a wave splashing into the boat.  Your possessions will be secure on the boat.  The weather was very pleasant during our tour in March – low humidity with a gentle breeze.  The boats don’t rock very much, and I don’t think seasickness would be a concern.  Our time on the boat was interesting as we had great conversations and enjoyed the scenery.  Most of our day was spent motoring around Taha’a and visiting the Vanilla Plantation, Rum Distillery, and Pearl Farm.  Our maximum time in the water was about 2 hours over three stops.  One guest who was on this tour on previous cruises said that on his other visits, the specific spots and order was different, so the stops I describe may be different but probably similar to your tour.

Bring some packaged snacks as you may eat late.  Bottled water is available on the boats.

LEAVING THE SHIP

We noticed that the HAL Tours left from a separate gangway forward as we left the ship.  This exit was where the official arrival party met the passengers who were departing on HAL tours.  Independent guests left the midship gangway and walked behind the official ceremony.  The ship’s photographers were present, but due to COVID restrictions, they didn’t have any local models available to pose for pictures, as is often the case on other cruises.

THE TOUR BEGINS

We were in Boat #4, with 10 other guests, and left promptly at 8:30 AM.  The boat rode smoothly, powered by twin outboard motors, and we raced off to our first spot off the coast of Taha’a at 30 mph.

tour boat 770 1 of 1This is one of the four boats used on the tour. Each one held 12 guests. 

SWIM WITH THE SHARKS

The water here was 10-20 feet deep and most of us dove right in, with a few people staying behind on the boat.  The water was filled with Blacktip reef sharks.  About 4-6 feet long.  They swam near but they ignored our presence.  A few other tropical fish were in the area, but the main attraction was the sharks.  There was a noticeable current and having short fins helped me tread water and move around more quickly.  After about 30 minutes we were all back in the boats and heading off to our next stop – The Vanilla Plantation.

swims with shark 770 1 of 1Pete is in the foreground swimming with the sharks at our first stop. 

sharks 770 1 of 1Blacktip reef sharks were everywhere at our first stop. 

VANILLA PLANTATION

Our small boats moored at a long pier, and we walked about 300 yards to a covered shelter where the owner of the Vanilla Plantation described his operation.  Then we walked into the field and he explained how vanilla flowers must be pollinated by hand, both labor-intensive and tedious.  The production cost is much higher than in other countries, so the vanilla produced here is mainly sold to tourists as oils and lotions.  We didn’t find any vanilla suitable for cooking on sale here.  There was a restroom available.

Giovanni and Pete vanilla 770vanillia 770A close up showing the worker ready to pollinate the Vanilla plant.

SNORKEL AT THE CORAL GARDEN

Our second snorkeling stop was called the Coral Gardens.  The water here was very shallow – varying from knee to waist deep, with a few spots up to our chest.  A few manta rays were in the area and the guides helped entice them to approach so we could feel their smooth skin.  Clumps of coral were everywhere and even though the coral looks soft and very inviting to touch, I had to remind myself to avoid touching the coral as it can be very sharp.  There were some tropical fish here, but not as many as you might expect.

fish 3 crop 770One of the many fish you will observe at the various snorkeling stops throughout the day 

PARI PARI RUM FACTORY

After about 40 minutes we were back in the boats and off to our next stop – The Pari Pari Rum Distillery. The Pari Pari Rum Distillery is across the street from the pier.  We broke into two groups.  One group took a quick tour of the production facility while the other listened to a sales presentation of the various types of rum and had a chance to give them a taste.  I didn’t buy any rum, nor did I see anyone else buying rum.

rum crop 770rum bottle 770

THE PEARL FARM

The La Orana Pearl Farm was 15 minutes away.  We moored at a pier and the Pearl Farm was a small building over the water on this pier.  We listened to a brief description of how pearls are cultured and then watched a demonstration of the seeding process.  Afterward, we had a chance to shop for pearls and pearl jewelry in the small boutique next to the demonstration area.

pearl farm 770seed 770The worker at the Pearl Farm is about to insert the nucleus bead into the oyster

LUNCH ON THE PRIVATE ISLAND

It took us almost an hour to continue our clockwise journey around Taha’a to the small private island of Motu, on the other side.  We had to wade into shore in about knee-deep water to land here, so keep that in mind as you plan your day.

private island 770The private island was our last stop – we had a late lunch with some time for snorkeling afterwardboat exit 770This shows the water depth when exiting the boat on the private island.

Our buffet lunch was waiting, and we ended up at the back of the line which took about 15 minutes.  Tropical fruit juice was the main beverage along with water.  Beer was $5.  There wasn’t any wine.  The buffet included Bonefish, Poisson Cru (Fish marinated in coconut milk), Rice,  Chicken with BBQ sauce, and coconut bread.

BuffetWe enjoyed a simple buffet of fresh food at our final stop on the tour. 

We sat at one of the 4 top plastic tables and enjoyed the food and the company of other guests.  Afterward, we had the option to relax in the sun or shade or snorkel in the water, with the water ranging from knee-deep to over 20 feet in spots.  There was a swift current and I appreciated having fins, which made it easier to swim back once I drifted some distance away.  Small schools of colorful fish were here and there, but there weren’t huge numbers or large schools.

After two hours they blew a conch shell announcing it was time to leave.  Once again, we waded back to the boats and headed off to Raiatea and the town of Uturoa where we started.

TOUR SUMMARY

Here is a recap of our various stops along with the precise times.

Depart 8:30 AM

We would make a total of 6 stops and the schedule we followed is listed here:

Finish – 4:55 PM

Brunos Tour 770These are the tour stops listed on Bruno’s website. You won’t go to all these stops or in the order listed 

Tour Map 770 1 of 1This map shows our actual stops and the order we visited. 

WRAPPING UP

After saying our goodbyes to our driver Francis, and his assistant, Teiva, we headed off to the Banque Socredo ATM where I withdrew some CPF to use in our remaining ports in French Polynesia.

Francis and Teiva 770Francis and Teiva pose with Judy after our wonderful tour. 

MONEY EXCHANGE

Here is a rundown of the exchange rate available from various sources.

French Polynesia Exchange Rates
Price to buy 500 CFP

• Official Bank rate: $4.462
    Credit Card Purchase: $4.64
    Raiatea ATM Machine: $4.71
    Local Tour Operators: $5.00
    Holland America Guest Services: $5.04  (They will buy back your CFP at $5.12)
    Local Grocery (Champion): $5.88

WELCOME CEREMONY

The Zuiderdam was the first cruise ship to call on Raiatea since the COVID pause and this was the first time the Zuiderdam ever visited.  To celebrate both events, local politicians and civic leaders hosted a ceremony where they gave our Captain a plaque that will be displayed in one of the ship’s stairwells.

ceremony 770 1 of 1Captain Kramer received a plaque commemorating the Zuiderdams first visit to Raiatea 

capt 770Captain Friso Kramer enjoys a coconut drink during the welcome party 

Young girls performed a traditional dance followed by some speeches.  The ship’s officers enjoyed a private reception under a nearby shelter while the rest of us were invited to sample a fresh fruit buffet.

Many passengers observed the ceremony from the ship while others came down to the pier to get a closer look.

welcome home 770 1 of 1Many people watched the arrival ceremony from the Zuiderdam 

The ceremony was almost over by the time we arrived, but we were able to catch the end and enjoy the fruit buffet.

Back on the ship, we joined Marty and Gail in The Pinnacle Grill for dinner.  We had a wonderful time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Interesting information about the Coral Garden drift snorkeling. We did that on our own private tour and thought it was some of the best snorkeling we have ever done, rivaling the Great Barrier Reef. We saw so many different varieties of fish, many more than I’ve seen in other places!  It was incredible. Thanks for your in-depth reports. I feel like I’m there again!

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 1:21 PM, KKZ1923 said:

I love them too.  It’s been a long time since I’ve seen fans.  I don’t even ask for the misters anymore.  I asked for them on one cruise and was told there were none on the ship.  Low and behold when I was exiting the ship the next day they had them by the gangway for purchase.  Busted!  If they are going to take stuff away, just don’t list it as an amenity. I’ve never seen ice cream but I usually go to the gym after lunch and never ask them to get me food so it could happen then.  I did ask about the fruit.  They don’t put it out according to them because it spoils.  I like to sit on my balcony in the morning eating an apple so they got some for me to take to the room.  I never did see a cold towel on my last cruise.  The stewards were wonderful people but they weren’t anywhere near as good as the last time I was on the koningsdam.  All of them were going home pretty quick so they were likely tired.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, dmcfad2 said:

Interesting information about the Coral Garden drift snorkeling. We did that on our own private tour and thought it was some of the best snorkeling we have ever done, rivaling the Great Barrier Reef. We saw so many different varieties of fish, many more than I’ve seen in other places!  It was incredible. Thanks for your in-depth reports. I feel like I’m there again!

I think there are a bunch of different spots called Coral Gardens.    We don't snorkel that much so I am probably not the best source of what constitutes a lot of fish.     It was a wonderful tour.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

WELCOME CEREMONY

I have been fortunate to witness such ceremonies on a couple of cruises with the most memorable being when the Volendam made her visit to Tokyo.  Helped to add to my memories of my favorite cruise.