35 Days to the South Pacific with The Inside Cabin - Live from the Zuiderdam

The-Inside-Cabin

21 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I love them too.  It’s been a long time since I’ve seen fans.  I don’t even ask for the misters anymore.  I asked for them on one cruise and was told there were none on the ship.  Low and behold when I was exiting the ship the next day they had them by the gangway for purchase.  Busted!  If they are going to take stuff away, just don’t list it as an amenity. I’ve never seen ice cream but I usually go to the gym after lunch and never ask them to get me food so it could happen then.  I did ask about the fruit.  They don’t put it out according to them because it spoils.  I like to sit on my balcony in the morning eating an apple so they got some for me to take to the room.  I never did see a cold towel on my last cruise.  The stewards were wonderful people but they weren’t anywhere near as good as the last time I was on the koningsdam.  All of them were going home pretty quick so they were likely tired.

Excellent BLOG!!

• Thanks 1

fca78a7b-8a1f-487c-8d51-8e1368515dfa.jpg

The Inside Cabin – Exploring the world from the inside cabin

Tips and information about world cruising and the adventures of The Inside Cabin

Here's the latest from The Inside Cabin

Raiatea Highlights (Post #15)

By The Inside Cabin on Apr 10, 2022 04:14 am
Click "Show More Posts" to show all the links to the other posts for the 2022 South Pacific Cruise

Raiatea Highlights

After a long day on the water yesterday, we scheduled a more relaxed sightseeing bus tour today called Raiatea Highlights

RAIATEA HIGHLIGHTS

Our meeting time was 8:15 AM in the theater.  A few minutes after we arrived, they called our tour and we proceeded down to the dock.  The description from the HAL excursion booklet is listed here.  As you can see, they describe the tour as taking place in an open-air vehicle, but the actual vehicle was a standard 40 passengers enclosed and air-conditioned bus.  The bus had two doors and was very comfortable.

If you are interested in this tour, please be aware that you will not actually see the Tiare Apetahi flower, but the mountain where it grows.  This was a little misleading as I assumed we would actually see the flower.  They also mentioned that you will stop at a pearl farm, time permitting.  Trust me, you will have time as every Holland America tour always includes a shopping stop at some point.

Raiatea Highlights 770We traveled along this route counterclockwise. 

VAIRUA PEARL FARM

Our guide, Maria, was interesting and entertaining and she provided good commentary throughout the day.  We headed south after circling the town and made our first stop at the Vairua Pearl Farm.  If you have spent any time in French Polynesia previously you will have visited Pearl farms before as they are a standard stop on virtually every tour.  The owner gave us a 15-minute lecture on how they seed the oysters to start the process of making a pearl and we had a chance to ask a few questions.  Afterward, there is an opportunity to buy pearls from their boutique.

Vairua Pearl FarmVairua Pearl Farm 

The most interesting thing we learned is that shells from Mississippi are used to make the nucleus in Japan and are then sent to the South Pacific to be inserted into the oysters.

pearl farm demo 770The owner demonstrates how the oysters are seeded 

We continued southward for about 45 minutes through the mountains until we reached the coast and then we headed back up north along the coast and stopped at a scenic overlook for a 10-minute photo opportunity.

Raiatea Tour 770Judy at Pete at the scenic photo stop on our tour 

TAPUTAPUATEA

Fifteen minutes later we would arrive at the main attraction on this tour:  The Taputapuatea place of worship.  This consists of several worship platforms called “marae” that date from the 17thcentury.  Several of the platforms have been restored to resemble their original condition.  Maria provided an interesting history of their origins and how they were part of the culture over 200 years ago.  There is a clean restroom at the visitor center.

Tour Site SignTaputapuateaMaria explained the interesting features of the Marae during our visit to TaputapuateaMaria explained the interesting features of the Marae during our visit to Taputapuateastone fishA stone fish carving at Taputapuateatour siteRestored Marae at Taputapuateatour site 2A close up of a Restored Marae at Taputapuatea

Our final stop was a short break to sample some of the local fruit.  The fruit was set up buffet-style inside a restaurant that was normally open in the evening.  There were mangoes, grapefruits and plantains in addition to a few other items and it was all very good.

inside restaraunt 770Inside the restaurant where we enjoyed a fresh fruit buffet on our tour. 

At about 12:30 we arrived back at the port.  Our all aboard time was 4:30 PM so we had a few hours left to explore the town.

EXPLORING UTOROA

There is a grocery store called Champion nearby.  We walked up and down the aisles to see the type of merchandise that was available, and they had a wide variety of what you would expect.  One item we could not resist buying was Tim Tams.  These are cookies from Australia which are very good, and we always buy them when we are in this part of the world.  Tim Tams are now sold in the United States but we think they are made with a different recipe as we don’t think they taste quite as good as the ones from Australia.

Tim TamsWe can’t resist buying Tim Tams whenever we are in the South PacificWe have found this Hydro Flask to be very useful on our tours to hold cold water from the shipWe have found this Hydro Flask to be very useful on our tours to hold cold water from the ship

The town is quite small, and I spent half an hour walking up and down the streets to see what types of stores were available.  Along the waterfront, there is a variety of tourist-oriented shops selling electronics, artwork, T-shirts, and other similar items.

A couple of musical groups were entertaining the passersby by playing for tips.  There was also an artisan market inside a building near the ship.

buskers 770buskers 2

There isn’t any cruise terminal so there is no security or anyone checking ID cards before you return to the ship.

We got underway at 5 PM and we would take a meandering route to Bora-Bora, our next port, as it was only 12 miles away.

Raiatéa was an excellent port, with outstanding snorkeling and water-based excursions.  The small town is very convenient and is a good place to pick up some souvenirs and change some money at the ATMs.

ATM Bank 770There are 3 ATM machines in this area 

Raiatea Highlights (From the HAL Excursion Catalog)

Departs: 8:30 AM Approximately 3½ Hours Adult $119.95; Child $94.95

Board an open-air vehicle for a panoramic drive through the main town of Uturoa — the cultural and administrative center of Raiatea.

Shortly after leaving town, you will see Mount Temehani — endemic home to the Tiare Apetahi. This extremely rare flower grows nowhere else on earth. An amazing fact about this flower is that each morning when the sun touches the flower, the petals open with a slight crackling sound.

From the bus, take in the view of the lagoon that is home to some pearl farms. Your scenic drive will pass the coastline and give you a glimpse of Polynesian daily life.

Raiatea is a very green island, and your guide will point out flowers and fruits along the way. Continue on the inland road of Raiatea, joining the east coast road that leads through a giant bamboo forest to the south of the island.

Pass through the village of Fetuna, whose primary industry is fishing, then pause for refreshments at the district of Vaiau. You will stop at the marae (open-air temple) of Tainuu before heading back to the pier.

Time permitting, you may also stop briefly at a pearl farm along the way.

• Thanks 3

On 4/3/2022 at 3:41 PM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I just realized we never got a cruise log - sticker or otherwise - can't say I missed it much since it took me 8 hours to realize I never got one.......

Oh no 😞 We had a cruise log and Z notebook on the bed after the pm set up.

On 4/4/2022 at 5:33 PM, rkacruiser said:

The-Inside-Cabin:  Thanks very much for sharing your cruising experiences and pictures.  I appreciate your efforts and the time it has taken during your cruise to do so.  

I agree!

I was on this cruise and enjoyed it for the itinerary. My husband Randy enjoyed the poker playing and poker group. Think he broke even 🙂 

Thanks for posting.  Can you tell me if Wi-Fi is available after ship docks for disembarkation?  Have purchased Wi-Fi package, not sure when it turns off.  Thanks for letting us tag along on your wonderful cruise.  Take care of the ship for us.  Looks like you are staying on deck5?  
Sandipalms

2 hours ago, Sandipalms said:

Thanks for posting.  Can you tell me if Wi-Fi is available after ship docks for disembarkation?  Have purchased Wi-Fi package, not sure when it turns off.  Thanks for letting us tag along on your wonderful cruise.  Take care of the ship for us.  Looks like you are staying on deck5?  
Sandipalms

I think it still worked the entire time - but I didn't really try, since we were in the USA just easier to use my cell phone.    We were on deck 8 -  8070

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I think it still worked the entire time - but I didn't really try, since we were in the USA just easier to use my cell phone.    We were on deck 8 -  8070

I’m curious. How was the noise from the Lido above you when you were in your cabin, especially at night. Did you notice it when trying to sleep?

8 hours ago, Sandipalms said:

Sandipalms

Yes, the WIFI was available after we docked in San Diego. I used it at breakfast before we disembarked. 

39 minutes ago, dmcfad2 said:

I’m curious. How was the noise from the Lido above you when you were in your cabin, especially at night. Did you notice it when trying to sleep?

I would notice it but it didn't bother me or wake me up.   But it was noticeable.    We live in a condo and may have a higher tolerance for noises than others.    We also heard the elevator chime.   But that was ok as well

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bora Bora – Snail Rolls? (Post #16)

By The Inside Cabin on Apr 11, 2022 07:18 am
Click "Show More Posts" to show all the links to the other posts for the 2022 South Pacific Cruise

Snail Rolls Feature 1 of 1

This morning I raced to the Sea View pool to catch a glimpse – or better yet – a taste of an actual Snail Roll

BALI HAI OR BORA BORA?

When you imagine a South Pacific Island – Bora Bora – or something that looks like Bora Bora probably pops into your head.  Mount Otemanu and Mount Pahia dominate the horizon, with each peak over 2000 feet above the Pacific Ocean.

Bora Bora 1 of 1 3Bora Bora as seen from Raiatea 

I can’t help but start humming the tune from the Rodgers and Hammerstein classic “South Pacific”.

Most people live on a lonely island
Lost in the middle of a foggy sea

Most people long for another island
One where they know they would like to be

Bali Ha’i may call you
Any night, any day

In your heart, you’ll hear it call you
“Come away, come away”

NOTE:  Despite the restaurant named “Bloody Mary” on Bora Bora, the actual Bali Hai was based on the real island of Ambae in Vanuatu.  Bali Hai from the Movie “South Pacific” was portrayed by the island of Tioman in Malaysia.  However, Mount Makana on the Hawaiian Island of Kauai was used as Bali Hai when they filmed the 1958 movie scene featuring the character “Bloody Mary”.  The scene from the below YouTube clip was filmed on Kauai’s Tunnel Beach.

Watch the Video

A RELAXING MORNING

After 2 consecutive days of early rising, we enjoyed a chance to relax this morning.  Aside from my early sprint to grab some Snail Rolls, we stayed in our cabin and took it easy until the early afternoon.

SNAIL ROLLS

Holland America is known for having themed rolls as they arrive in various ports around the world.  You will enjoy Panama Canal Rolls during that transit, which will also be known as Sydney Opera Rolls or Hong Kong Harbor Rolls depending on the port you are entering.  Today, we were in French Polynesia, so it was only fitting to have Snail Rolls – shown here.  They were excellent.

snail rolls 770Snail Rolls were served in many of our ports in French Polynesia in the morning 

HEADING ASHORE

Around 2:45 PM we headed ashore and after a 10-minute tender ride, we were inside the Artisan Market next to the tender landing.  They had a nice selection of garments and other souvenirs.  Based on our earlier visits, you will probably find everything here that you would probably find anywhere else on Bora Bora.  If you are pressed for time, spending 30 minutes here will allow you to review a nice variety of goods from across the island.

Bora Bora MapBloody Mary’s is 3 miles south of town. There are shuttle taxis you can take for $5 or hire a regular taxi for about $15 tender landingThere is a covered waiting area and a small artisan market directly across from the tender landing tender shop 1 of 1These dresses were for sale in the artisan market located next to the tender landing day of tours 1 of 1Here are some of the last-minute tours for sale at the tender landing Avis Car Rental OfficeThe AVIS car rental office is located directly behind the tender landing 

The Visitor Center is off to your right as you leave the tender area.  They have information about tours, restaurants, and other activities.  They gave us a tip about the Restaurant Les Délices De Bora-bora, but it was only open for lunch and dinner, so we didn’t have a chance to sample their food.

Visitor Center WIFI 770The Visitor Center is located along the waterfront and has free WiFi. It may be hard to use as they limit the number of simultaneous users restaraunt 1 of 1This restaurant, Les Delices, was recommended by the Visitor Center but was closed when we arrived. It’s about 1/4 mile from the tender landing 

On our way back from the restaurant we stopped in the local grocery, Chin Lee, and picked up some more Tim Tams.  Our final stop was Bora Spirit, which had a nice selection of T-shirts and other souvenirs.

chin lee grocery store 770 1 of 1We bought some Tim Tams at this Chin Lee, the local grocery store – near the tender landing T Shirt Shop 770 1 of 1We stopped here at Bora Spirit and bought some nice T-shirts 

Taking any soft drinks back to the ship is forbidden.  We love the French soft drink, Orangina, so we bought a couple of bottles at Chin Lee, along with some potato chips, and enjoyed them in the shade as we waited for the next tender.

BACK ON THE SHIP

The sun would be in a nice position for photographs at sunset, so we headed up to the deck above the Sea View pool and captured some nice pictures.

Bora Bora SunsetSunset on the Zuiderdam with Bora Bora in the background bora bora sunset a 770 1 of 1We turned around and took this picture of the sunset looking to the west. 

Tomorrow will be another early start as we will be taking the Maohi Nui Tour (aka Patrick’s Tour) for the first time.

My post from our 2018 visit to Bora Bora is HERE

HERE is a page with Amazon links to many items that we use on our cruises.

The post Bora Bora – Snail Rolls? (Post #16) appeared first on The Inside Cabin - Exploring the world from the inside cabin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I would notice it but it didn't bother me or wake me up.   But it was noticeable.    We live in a condo and may have a higher tolerance for noises than others.    We also heard the elevator chime.   But that was ok as well

I figured you would be in an inside cabin...

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Snail Rolls were served in many of our ports in French Polynesia in the morning 

That's a new one for me.  Pamama Rolls, Sydney Rolls?  Yes.  Don't recall this being served aboard when I visited these ports.  Some creative cuisine ideas from Seattle to enhance their guest experience?  If so, YEH!  

9 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

We were in 8050 towards the bow from 8070. It was under the pool area of the Lido deck. It was quite noisy with the scraping of the chairs and tables above all day. There is no carpet there and the feet are not cushioned. We complained on a couple of occasions when we especially when were woken up at night. Great cruise regardless.

2 minutes ago, Andy&Louise said:

We were in 8050 towards the bow from 8070. It was under the pool area of the Lido deck. It was quite noisy with the scraping of the chairs and tables above all day. There is no carpet there and the feet are not cushioned. We complained on a couple of occasions when we especially when were woken up at night. Great cruise regardless.

We were under the Lido and only heard a low rumble of the rolling carts.   I think the chair sliding noise would be more annoying.   We never heard chair scraping where we were.    

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

We were under the Lido and only heard a low rumble of the rolling carts.   I think the chair sliding noise would be more annoying.   We never heard chair scraping where we were.    

We would never book any cabin location on deck 8 for any reason.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

We would never book any cabin location on deck 8 for any reason.

We have cabin 8087 on the world cruise on the Zuiderdam.  After I saw this video about the same cabin on the Oosterdam, I was a little concerned.   After spending 35 days on deck 8 - we weren't bothered by the rolling cart noise.    Not sure about sliding chairs, but I slept 2 feet under the flight deck and catapult (in an inside cabin 😀) for 8 months on an aircraft carrier so I am probably not your best person to give out noise advice 😁

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

We have cabin 8087 on the world cruise on the Zuiderdam.  After I saw this video about the same cabin on the Oosterdam, I was a little concerned.   After spending 35 days on deck 8 - we weren't bothered by the rolling cart noise.    Not sure about sliding chairs, but I slept 2 feet under the flight deck and catapult (in an inside cabin 😀) for 8 months so I am probably not your best person to give out noise advice 😁

I'm probably not the best person either, having spent 24 years as  a career officer on Navy ships, but never the 'big decks' like yourself, but smaller decks, tin cans, etc. Trust me, I've hard it all. And when I'm cruising on civilian cruise ships, I prefer a little peace and quiet at night. So no deck 8 for me!

Just now, KroozNut said:

I'm probably not the best person either, having spent 24 years as  a career officer on Navy ships, but never the 'big decks' like yourself, but smaller decks, tin cans, etc. Trust me, I've hard it all. And when I'm cruising on civilian cruise ships, I prefer a little peace and quiet at night. So no deck 8 for me!

I would watch those "tin cans" bob and weave while we refueled them from time to time - Yikes!  We would be gliding along - stable enough to play a game of pool - and as you know, the guys on the small boys were all wearing Kapok jackets and hanging on!

I spent about 4 hours on the Bunker Hill - back in the day - that was enough for me...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I would watch those "tin cans" bob and weave while we refueled them from time to time - Yikes!  We would be gliding along - stable enough to play a game of pool - and as you know, the guys on the small boys were all wearing Kapok jackets and hanging on!

I spent about 4 hours on the Bunker Hill - back in the day - that was enough for me...

Yep, I was one of those guys hanging on... a lot, when I was stationed on an older Adams Class Destoyer (DDG-15). One time we got caught in a typhoon near the Philippines, and our ship was taking 45 degree rolls for 2 days straight. Not fun..

I rode the Bunker Hill for a few days as an inspector for INSURV in the early 90's, and she rode a lot better than the DDG.

Bora Bora – Fish, Food, and Fire: Patrick’s Tour (Post #16)

By The Inside Cabin on Apr 11, 2022 11:51 pm

Patrick Feature 1 of 1
Patrick

Will our experience with the Maohi Nui excursion (aka Patrick’s Tour) on Bora Bora match the hype?

BORA BORA – FISH, FIRE, and FOOD: PATRICK’s TOUR

Ever since we first cruised to the South Pacific, we have heard of the Maohi Nui Excursion better known simply as “Patrick’s Tour”.  As soon as you join a Cruise Critic roll call with Bora Bora on the itinerary, someone will probably have already taken charge of coordinating participation on Patrick’s tour.  The tour usually sells out instantly and if you are not one of the early bookers, then the waitlist is your only chance.  The tour usually operates with four boats each holding 12 people.

outrigger 770 1 of 1One of the four outriggers on Patrick’s tour 

By the time we booked this cruise, Patrick’s tour was long sold out and people were discussing their boat assignments and the details of the excursion.  We don’t normally book snorkeling tours, but since this cruise was predominantly in the South Pacific we took the plunge, went to a local San Diego dive shop, and picked up everything we would need to enjoy snorkeling:  Mask, Fins, and Snorkel.  We also got some dive boots, but when you wear fins, you don’t really need the dive boots.  And before the cruise had started, we had cleared the wait-list.

A few days ago on Taha’a (Raiatea) we jumped into the water for the first time and had a wonderful time on Bruno’s tour.  Nevertheless, we were looking forward to “Patricks Tour” as everyone we spoke with LOVED this tour and some said that Patrick’s Tour was simply the best cruise ship tour EVER.

That’s a high bar.

A PERFECT SUNRISE FOR A PERFECT DAY

Sunrise over Bora BoraSunrise over Bora Bora 

Bora Bora is a tender port, and the Tour starts early, around 8:00 AM.  Normally this requires getting up early to queue up for the first tender tickets.  This was our second day in Bora Bora so there wouldn’t be the usual rush for tender tickets on the second morning of an overnight visit.  Fortunately, our tour coordinator was able to arrange for our group of about 50 people to assemble in the Lincoln Center and then go ashore on a single tender.  You can’t always expect HAL to help get private tour groups consolidated onto a single tender, but they did in this case, and we appreciated it very much.

Once ashore, we all met near the water directly across the Bora Bora Visitors Center sidewalk.  Colorful Catamarans, with yellow hulls and red trim, raced across the harbor and moored alongside the dock.

PATRICK

Heifara “Patrick” Tairua jumped onto the dock, and we all gathered around.  Smiling and gesturing, Patrick flashed a wide smile and welcomed us to Bora Bora and his tour.  We quickly separated into our prearranged groups, and everyone found their Catamaran as they all moored at different spots.

We were in boat #4 with Driver, Terri, and his son, Pano.

crew singing 1 of 1Terri, and his son, Pano. 

Here is a map that shows the 6 stops along with the time at each stop.  Here is the breakdown of how we spent our time (times are approximate):

TOUR MAP

NOTE:   Total Time in boat transiting to the various stops:  3 Hours
Maximum time in the water at three snorkel stops:  1 ½ Hour
Maximum time in the water for two other water stops:  1 Hour
Time on the Motu:  1 ¾ Hour

Patrick's Tour MapMap of each stop with the approximate time 

STOP 1: BLACKTIP REEF SHARKS, BUTTERFLYFISH, AND MANTA RAYS

A few minutes before 8 AM Terri aimed our boat west and our outboard motor pushed us thru the water toward our first spot.  Patrick advised us earlier that due to sea conditions outside the reef, we would be staying closer to shore and would not see the larger Lemon Sharks.  Twenty-five minutes later Terri slowed our boat and started to circle, looking down into the water for sea creatures.  We meandered in the same area for about 15 minutes until Terri spotted some Manta Rays, slowed, and tossed out the anchor.

The water in this area was around 4-10feet deep, very warm, and had a noticeable current.  I recommend wearing fins as they will help you move around and tread water.

Blacktip Reef Sharks, Threadfin Butterfly Fish, and Manta Rays surrounded the snorkelers but ignored our presence.  Later I noticed that Terri was tossing some baitfish into the water which encouraged the fish to swarm around our boat.

Blacktip Reef Sharks and Threadfin Butterfly FishBlacktip Reef Sharks and Threadfin Butterfly Fish 

Terri attracted a Manta Ray and invited us to get near and run our hands along its back.  It was very firm, yet soft.

Surface Manta Ray 1 of 1Terri feeding a Manta Ray on the surfaceManta RayWe had a close encounter with a Manta Ray

There wasn’t a fixed time for us to stay in the water, but everyone seemed ready to get back in the boat after 30 minutes.

STOP 2: THE FISH ARE MY FRIENDS

Terri drove our boat in a counterclockwise direction around the island for about 45 minutes.  When we were established on a steady course, he would sing a song while playing his ukulele.  Unlike our first stop, where we circled for a while looking for sea life, for our second stop we headed directly to a predetermined location where we moored to an anchored buoy.  As we were preparing to go into the water, Terri passed out small chunks of French bread.  At first, I thought it may have been a midmorning snack, but then realized that we would feed this bread to the fish.

We were give bread to feed to the fishWe were given bread to feed the fish 

I stuck one piece of bread in my pocket while holding the other and climbed down the ladder into the water.  The water was between 5-15 feet deep and crystal clear – you could easily see the bottom.  The fish knew it was time to eat and we were swarmed with Threadfin Butterfly Fish and Blackspot Sergeant fish.  I was immediately the fish’s best friend – at least until I ran out of bread and then they were off looking for new friends nearby.

feeding fish 1 of 1These Blackspot Sergeant fish were my new friends – at least until the bread ran out. 

After the fish moved on but were still in the area, I had more time to examine the seabed.  Someone had spelled out “I LOVE BORA BORA” in stone on the bottom – neat!  We were back in the boat after 25 minutes and moved on to our next stop about 10 minutes away.

i love bora bora 1 of 1Spelled out in stone on the bottom of the lagoon at stop 2 

STOP 3: MANTA RAYS IN DEEPWATER

Unlike our first two spots, the water for our third stop was much deeper, over 20 feet in spots.  There weren’t any fish close to the surface, but I did spot a formation of Manta Rays moving quickly along the bottom.  I gave chase for a few minutes.  Another snorkeler was able to get a little closer as seen in this photograph.

deep manta rays 1 of 1These Manta Rays were scooting along the bottom of the deeper part of the Lagoon 

NOTE:  All of the underwater pictures were taken using a GoPro Hero 7 Black shooting video at 2K – I was able to grab some frames for still images later.

With such deep water and so few fish, we were all back in the boat after about 15 minutes.

STOP 4: THERAPEUTIC SAND BATH?

Our 4th stop was in waist-deep water with a silky sand bottom.  We were told that this location was not one of their regular stops but since we had to cancel going outside the reef, they substituted this stop instead.

P and J in water 1 of 1Judy and Pete enjoy the shallow water at stop 4 

There weren’t any fish here, but we did get out and stand in the water and use the fine sand as a poor man’s therapeutic sand bath.  Terri handed out beer and soft drinks that we enjoyed while standing in the warm, crystal-clear water under a perfect Sun.

Sand in hand 1 of 1Very fine sand in the shallow water. Some people rubbed it on their skin 

Twenty-five minutes later we were back in the boats and motored off to Patrick’s private MOTU for his special lunch and entertainment.

STOP 5: FOOD

We could walk off our boats onto the MOTU without getting our feet wet.  Patrick’s team had been here for hours getting ready and their activity picked up once we arrived.  Beer, wine, and soft drinks were available under a shelter.  People who had been here before were starting to chatter – “He’s going to open the oven!”  Patrick called out  that it was time to open the oven and everyone should gather around the covered pit, better known as a Tahitian Oven.  After some explanation of what happened earlier in the day, Patrick removed the large banana leaves covering the oven and exposed the suckling pig, chicken, plantain bananas, and more.  Patrick’s team gathered up the hot food and set up the buffet on long tables nearby.

Oven 1 of 1Patrick starts to open the Tahitian OvenOven B 1 of 1The food that was roasting all day in the Tahitian Oven is exposed

Lunch was served and we all grabbed large woven ‘plates’ with a banana leaf on top and started to move thru the buffet line.  “Eat with your hands” Patrick shouted with a smile and we all stopped looking for silverware.

Buffett Plate 770 1 of 1The buffet plates were made from Banana leaves 

Plenty of picnic tables surrounded the covered beverage area and we all enjoyed the fresh cooked Polynesian delicacies.  Wine, beer, and other beverages were available at no extra charge.

Buffett 770 1 of 1Patricks Tour buffet served on the MOTU 

Plenty of food was available if you wanted to refill your plate – but most people were satisfied with the large helpings served during their first trip thru the line.

Buffett Food Plate 770 1 of 1Grilled chicken, fish, and sides going on the banana leaf plate 

STOP 5: FIRE

It was time for the highlight of the Motu experience – The Fire Dance.

Patrick appeared bare-chested, with his hair pulled back taut, carrying a baton with wicks at each end that were soaked in a flammable fluid.  Patrick ignited the ends of the baton and started to twirl and dance, with a little fire-eating along the way.  As the flames began to dwindle, a helper from the audience helped him position the baton on his feet while he was lying on his back.  He extinguished the baton in the sand as he concluded the show with the audience’s enthusiastic applause.

Fire Dance 1 of 1Patrick amazed the guests with his fire danceFire Eating 1 of 1Patrick eating fire on the MOTU

Time for a little more wine before we headed back to the boats for our final stop.

STOP 6: WINE AND WATER

Our final stop was another shallow water wine tasting event.  The water was too shallow for snorkeling and there weren’t any fish in the area.  Patrick enjoyed pouring sparkling wine and telling stories of Bora Bora to a rapt audience.  All 4 boats were close enough so everyone could mingle in a central area.  Warm water, gentle breezes, nice wine, and great company were the perfect conclusion for our last water stop.

Final Water Stop 1 of 1No snorkeling but plenty of wine at our final water stop 

Thirty minutes later, Patrick’s four boats glided back into the harbor where we started, and our Maohi Nui Experience was sadly over.

CONCLUSION?

The Maohi Nui (Patrick’s Tour) was wonderful and exceeded our expectations.  Even if you don’t snorkel, you will have a wonderful time riding in the lagoon and enjoying the shallow water stops.  The food and the MOTU along with the Fire Dance were a bonus.

Patrick’s Tour?  A perfect blend of food and fun – Don’t miss it!

WELCOME HOME

Exhausted from a wonderful day, we headed back to the tender landing for our ride back to our ‘home’ on the Zuiderdam.

FUSION VOCAL GROUP

The Fusion Vocal Group, two women and a man performed on the World Stage this evening, singing a variety of hits from Broadway and Opera.

singer 1 of 1Lead female singer in Fusion Vocalsinger 2 1 of 1Fusion Vocal Group

The post Bora Bora – Fish, Food, and Fire: Patrick’s Tour (Post #16) appeared first on The Inside Cabin - Exploring the world from the inside cabin.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2