Roaming costs to use P&O My Holiday

terrierjohn

2 hours ago, AlanCruise said:

I am on Sky Mobile, and just checked their web site. After May 3rd they will start roaming charges for EU but it is a fixed charge of £2 per 24 hours and is only activated if you use Data, make a call or send a text message. It specifically says that receiving a call or texts are free and does not activate the daily charge.

At the same time they are reducing the daily charge specified countries outside the EU (e.g. USA, Canada and Australia) from £6 to £2.

So as long as you turn off data roaming you can still leave the phone on the system - just don't make a call or send a text. I find this is a good method for people to contact me, I just ask them to send a text which is always free to receive (even in countries where you have to pay per call/text)

Thanks for the clear explanation of what sky are doing.

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

You misunderstand me, Sky are charging £2 per day to allow you to use your contract rate calls, (to UK numbers) texts and data.

Vodafone the same - £2 /day to use allowance including data anywhere Europe.

outside Europe it’s £6 /day.

8 day or 15 day pass for £1/day for Europe.

I always use 4G when not at home as it’s safer than local WiFi.

I've just left EE today after 30 years and moved to Vodaphone who offer a packaged rate which included unlimited data and use in EU, North America, Australia etc but most importantly for me all Caribbean countries except Bonsire, Curacao and Dominican Republic.  It cost me an extra £7.00 per month but as I use it worldwide will save lots of bother and money in the long run.

• Like 3

3 are also following the pack with their £2/day charge in Europe, from 23rd May. We sail to Norway on 21st!

I do see that they won't apply the charge for Pay as you go users though, so I'll be using my spare 3 payg SIM while we are away, calls 10p/min. and 10p/text. I would expect Sky and EE etc. to have a similar offer. 

On 3/1/2022 at 12:49 PM, terrierjohn said:

You misunderstand me, Sky are charging £2 per day to allow you to use your contract rate calls, (to UK numbers) texts and data.

As are Vodafone albeit you can reduce this to a £1 a day if arranged in advance. I didn’t realise until it was too late 🙄

As a confirmed dinosaur new technology & me really don't get on,trying to follow this thread is like reading something written in Chinese😮

Is everything on board done via the app these days or is it still possible to book things on board without a SMART phone?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snaefell said:

As a confirmed dinosaur new technology & me really don't get on,trying to follow this thread is like reading something written in Chinese😮

Is everything on board done via the app these days or is it still possible to book things on board without a SMART phone?

You can but it’s just easier on the app if you have a Smart phone of course. 

11 hours ago, snaefell said:

To be honest if you can access this site you should have no problems using the my holiday page, the smart phone is just a laptop you can carry in your pocket.

The biggest problem I have with that theory is the cost of the equipment & who pays for it.

My Wife has just retired after working in hotels since the 80's,the last 18 months was new owners at her hotel who set up a system entirely dependant on each individual having a device connected to the internet that told them their rotas,was needed to apply for days off,was used for all the training & was used to tell when they arrived at & left work,all on minimum wage.

From a cruise perspective to make that happen the cruise companies would need to hand out devices to passengers,or have one in each cabin for every cruise,something you just know won't happen!

30 minutes ago, snaefell said:

or have one in each cabin for every cruise,something you just know won't happen!

Princess have done it, although you use the TV in your cabin to access the app, rather than supplying you with a device.

On 2/28/2022 at 3:48 PM, terrierjohn said:

My phone automatically turns off wi fi when in flight mode.

You can turn Wi-Fi back on again while still in airplane mode and as many have said it is free to use no  charges will be incurred while your phone

is in airplane mode 

On 3/1/2022 at 11:28 AM, jeanlyon said:

I am also on O2 but PAYG.  I simply turn off data, so no roaming charge.  Don't need Airplane mode.  I just use wifi in the ports.

Can you get free WiFi on the ship in port, also can you make calls will this be the same as off the ship?

1 hour ago, Tikka234 said:

Can you get free WiFi on the ship in port, also can you make calls will this be the same as off the ship?

It depends if there is an open WiFi connection within range of the ship.  Many cruise terminals do have WiFi, but normally you have to disembark in order to connect.

You will be able to connect to a mobile phone signal, but will pay whatever roaming fees your service provider charges.

our experience of finding free wifi ashore is to follow the crew - they always know where the nearest wifi is. And as others have said, its often in the Terminal (eg in Lisbon). 

We were on a cruise down to Canaries last month, but not with P and O so I won't mention the ship name as this is the P and O strand. WE took 2 smart  phones with us, one on O2 contract and one Three.  Neither of us paid any roaming charges, though I think three is introducing charges next month. I had the same  included data allocation as at home, which I did use a lot of to find street maps and tourist info, and to follow along the map when out on tours. 

The ship we were on is brand new and has free wifi which works in the cabins (check it out!). so on the ship we received all email and could use internet.  the phones could not make calls on the ship, but logged in to the local network in each port. 

(and btw, regarding other points in this strand, we did not have to use the phones on board to book anything, so if you don't want to have to do this, check out other cruise lines ).