Carnival Shares

dgs1956

3 minutes ago, dgs1956 said:

Could someone give me advice on the best way of buying Carnival shares and whether they are worth it please?

Quite a lot here use Hargreaves Lansdown and they're very good.  Quite a few cheaper ways, though, some of which are covered here:

https://www.fool.co.uk/personal-finance/share-dealing/buy-shares/

Whether they're worth it or not depends very much on how many cruises you're likely to take, the continuity of the shareholder scheme (reviewed, and so far renewed, annually), and the future value of the shares.  That last one's always a gamble, and there's no answer - it's just that.  The standard advice is never, ever, to buy shares just for a shareholder's perk, and that still stands.  Personally, we've lost considerably more than we gained, even though we bought at a time when they were being tipped.  Most here, though, have won hands down - and a loss is never a loss until you have to sell.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dgs1956 said:

Could someone give me advice on the best way of buying Carnival shares and whether they are worth it please?

We used Equiniti. Hard to judge them because we have nobody to compare them with but they seemed to do a good job. I echo what Harry said but when they start paying dividends again (none paid during the pandemic obviously), it increases their value to us.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Quite a lot here use Hargreaves Lansdown and they're very good.  Quite a few cheaper ways, though, some of which are covered here:

https://www.fool.co.uk/personal-finance/share-dealing/buy-shares/

Whether they're worth it or not depends very much on how many cruises you're likely to take, the continuity of the shareholder scheme (reviewed, and so far renewed, annually), and the future value of the shares.  That last one's always a gamble, and there's no answer - it's just that.  The standard advice is never, ever, to buy shares just for a shareholder's perk, and that still stands.  Personally, we've lost considerably more than we gained, even though we bought at a time when they were being tipped.  Most here, though, have won hands down - and a loss is never a loss until you have to sell.

Excellent advice!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dgs1956 said:

Many thanks for your advice Harry.

I take it you only need to buy 100 shares.

No problem. That’s the current figure, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they increased the figure, perhaps in connection with a new share issue.

• Like 1

I'm confused now. The price looks to be around £1,354, is that the total cost plus commission and would these shares be able to be used for extra OBC for a cruise already booked? Thanks to all for your help.

13 minutes ago, dgs1956 said:

I'm confused now. The price looks to be around £1,354, is that the total cost plus commission and would these shares be able to be used for extra OBC for a cruise already booked? Thanks to all for your help.

That’s the cost of the shares. Commission is just a few pounds on top, but there’s also Stamp Duty of 0.5%.

This might also help:

50351a91-4dc0-4f6b-bfec-684647e6129f

• Like 1

They are jumping around considerably at the moment.  With all the buying and selling of them over the past couple of years my purchase price is now an equivilant of £6.50 per share so I'm now happy to hold on to them.

We used Hargreaves it was £12.50 per transaction if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

Am just about to apply for OBC for our cruise to Norway. Has anyone applied recently, and can give some idea of how long the wait is before a response from P and O. Incidentally, mine were purchased through Hargreaves Lansdown and found the process very straightforward.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dgs1956 said:

No, thats 1354 pennies!, so £13.54 a share. (all shares are presented in pennies).  Before pandemic the price went as high as £53 per share in 2018 and dropped to £10 a share during pandemic. It could drop lower due to Ukraine but could start getting higher because we are coming out of the pandemic. Only buy if you can afford to lose the money. So based on minimum 100 shares, that will cost about £1354.00.  To get OBS, you would get your money back after 9 x 2 week cruises based on this price today. I think its £60 OBS for a weeks cruise. They also pay out a dividend which would be about £50 per year based on 100 shares. We bought our shares through Barclays Bank. You apply for your OBC 22 days before your cruise and can apply directly to the department in P&O. We send a set email each time and a copy of shares at that time. We always use the same email so they can see our history.

Hope this helps..

Chris

• Like 1

Carnival shares have fallen heavily this afternoon and have closed below 1300. They are so volatile at the moment that they could rise for the rest of the week. Who knows? Certainly not me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BrianI said:

If you are a member of the military, NHS, police etc, you are entitled to have a blue light card which gives significant discounts

https://www.bluelightcard.co.uk

Brian

I already have 100 shares but am in the process of helping my friend buy CCL shares too. She has a Blue Light card.but I can't find which company to buy through. Ant suggestions?  Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kittyonions said:

Am just about to apply for OBC for our cruise to Norway. Has anyone applied recently, and can give some idea of how long the wait is before a response from P and O. Incidentally, mine were purchased through Hargreaves Lansdown and found the process very straightforward.

About 2 to 3 days for me. I use Equinity so just email my details including shareholder reference.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, davecttr said:

About 2 to 3 days for me. I use Equinity so just email my details including shareholder reference.

We use Barclays for our shares. P&O replied to us within 5 working days. Our cruise is this Saturday and it shows the OBS has been added.

Emails to:   shareholderbenefits@carnivalukgroup.com

• Like 2

4 hours ago, suekay said:

I already have 100 shares but am in the process of helping my friend buy CCL shares too. She has a Blue Light card.but I can't find which company to buy through. Ant suggestions?  Thanks

The Blue Light Card offers, which I am a user of, fluctuate and my latest ‘offer’ was 2 x £50 OBC with P&O on the Iona. During the period of the ‘home water’ cruises there were much better offers around. In particular MSC were offering some cracking discounts to NHS staff. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CRUISENSNOOZE said:

No, thats 1354 pennies!, so £13.54 a share. (all shares are presented in pennies).  Before pandemic the price went as high as £53 per share in 2018 and dropped to £10 a share during pandemic. We send a set email each time and a copy of shares at that time. We always use the same email so they can see our history.

Hope this helps..

Chris

Thanks. It never dawned on me it was in pennies HaHa. Excellent advice,

59 minutes ago, dgs1956 said:

Thanks. It never dawned on me it was in pennies HaHa. Excellent advice,

Tax is not paid on all share trades in the UK it depends on the home markets of the shares in question. 

• Like 1