Transfer to port after a 5:30 am arrival in Miami question

madera1

We are using O’s air and will be flying from the west coast to Miami before our Transatlantic this month. Our flight is a red eye with arrival in Miami at 5:30 a.m. Looking for past experiences with how the transfer to port will be arranged. Will we be met by O staff after retrieving our luggage or somewhere at a later time. Any idea when we will be actually  transported to the port? Further, after arrival on ship can we depart and go to Total Wine to pick up supplies?
This will be our first time sailing on Oceania so would appreciate hearing from those with prior experience.

Edited by madera1

17 minutes ago, madera1 said:

We are using O’s air and will be flying from the west coast to Miami before our Transatlantic this month. Our flight is a red eye with arrival in Miami at 5:30 a.m. Looking for past experiences with how the transfer to port will be arranged. Will we be met by O staff after retrieving our luggage or somewhere at a later time. Any idea when we will be actually  transported to the port? Further, after arrival on ship can we depart and go to Total Wine to pick up supplies?
This will be our first time sailing on Oceania so would appreciate hearing from those with prior experience.

usually once on the ship you will not want to leave   as the process to reboard may be time consuming of course depending what time you can board

you could check your bags with the porter   then go to Total wine

I doubt if you will be going to the port much before  9 am

JMO

If I were in this situation, I'd find a nice hotel with a good restaurant near MIA.  Take the hotel shuttle over to the hotel and have a nice breakfast - you'll want some sustenance since you won't be boarding the ship for hours.  Sit and enjoy a relaxing morning. Then just take an Uber to your liquor store, have them wait, and then to the port. 

IMO, folks make WAY too much of the "included transfers"  Make your own way and have the freedom to spend the time as you want - not just waiting around.  And the cost of the Uber is a drop in the bucket compared to your other vacation expenses.

And FWIW, I really don't think they will have folks at the airport as early as 5:30.  Just my own guess.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

If I were in this situation, I'd find a nice hotel with a good restaurant near MIA.  Take the hotel shuttle over to the hotel and have a nice breakfast - you'll want some sustenance since you won't be boarding the ship for hours.  Sit and enjoy a relaxing morning. Then just take an Uber to your liquor store, have them wait, and then to the port. 

IMO, folks make WAY too much of the "included transfers"  Make your own way and have the freedom to spend the time as you want - not just waiting around.  And the cost of the Uber is a drop in the bucket compared to your other vacation expenses.

And FWIW, I really don't think they will have folks at the airport as early as 5:30.  Just my own guess.

This is the only way to do it, 100% right.

• Like 2

Seeing how the "included transfers" is a new thing since cruising started back most regulars really don't have experience with it. I usually don't use Oceania air on a domestic flight anyway, so for me it's a moot point. But I do use them for some international flights, depending.........

Definitely good ideas above, but if you're determined to use their transfers, you might find something to eat at the airport. But I like the idea of going to a decent hotel. You can always come back to the airport on the hotel shuttle and go back to the luggage pick up area. The Oceania contact person will probably be there most of the day as there will be flights coming in at all hours up until 3 or 4 hours before the ship sails. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ORV said:

Seeing how the "included transfers" is a new thing since cruising started back most regulars really don't have experience with it. I usually don't use Oceania air on a domestic flight anyway, so for me it's a moot point. But I do use them for some international flights, depending.........

Definitely good ideas above, but if you're determined to use their transfers, you might find something to eat at the airport. But I like the idea of going to a decent hotel. You can always come back to the airport on the hotel shuttle and go back to the luggage pick up area. The Oceania contact person will probably be there most of the day as there will be flights coming in at all hours up until 3 or 4 hours before the ship sails. 

Marriott Courtyard will pick you up  at Baggage   Go get a shower, and sleep  till noon  gives you  6 hours rest....   its $30 to the pier taxi  fixed rate........ RELAX... START THE CRUISE REFRESHED.     Forget the  O transfer.

We usually arrive the night before in order to be rested and assured we aren't delayed and miss the ship, and we take a cab or Uber.  We stay in downtown (usually unless there's major event that has all the hotels either booked or charging outrageous rates.  There is usually a wine store nearby (not Total Wine) but the wine is still cheaper than onboard, even with the corkage fee added.  Boarding is usually not until 10:30 at the earliest, so another option is to book a cab/Uber to a breakfast place within walking distance to Total Wine, then another cab to the ship.

OK, my husband and I actually experienced this on 1/4/2022.  We took "O" air which entitled us to the free transfer, but there was no advanced information from either "O" or our TA as to how this would work.  After an exhausting red-eye from LAX we went to the luggage carousel to find our checked bags, not knowing what to do.  Bleary-eyed, I noticed a woman with an Oceania placard and she confirmed that she was there to meet us.  She had a clip-board with the names of about 20 guests arriving on different flights but roughly the same time.  We waited until all guests were identified, then began a long trek with our bags to a distant area where our bus was waiting.  This was not outside Baggage Claim, but a long hike.  The bus then took us about a 10 minute ride to a rather tired off-airport hotel where we were served a complimentary continental breakfast.  We had to hang around until 10:30, then re-board a different bus for the longer drive to the cruise terminal.  Yes, we had our bags with us for breakfast and had to re-load onto second bus.  I was tired and cranky, but once we got to the terminal we got preferential treatment.  Our bags were whisked away, we jumped the line for Covid testing and were able to board the Riviera well before noon.  Overall a very tiring experience, but it's the first time I've ever entered an empty Terrace Cafe and had a glass of wine in my hand before noon.

• Thanks 1