Is anyone else wondering about May 2022 Black Sea Cruise?

fizook

It seems to me anyone going even considering going on a Black Sea cruise the next several years is delusional. Cruise lines will not go there or any Russian ports. Maybe for decades. Even if they did it would be madness. The interesting Black Sea ports were the Ukrainian ports of Yalta and Sevastopol  in the old pre-Russian invasion days before 2014 and Odessa. Thank God we did. Sochi is Russia. Few Turkish ports were interesting but no way there now. It's a war zone. 

• Like 3

When the Black Sea segment of the Sept-Nov Grand Voyage last year was changed to a fully Greek Isl. itinerary within the 90 day period, they waived the cancelation penalty & so many who only booked that one segment did, indeed, cancel.  That was a very empty ship for those days.

I simply can't imagine that any  cruise line or their insurer, would allow one of their ships enter what is unquestionably an active war zone.  Or why any passenger would want to go there. Most of the major lines have already canceled ALL cruises that go to any Russian port.  Common sense.

14 hours ago, fizook said:

On Friday I was told by a Silversea TA that there is news coming soon. Hopefully as soon as Monday he said.

I will believe that when some concrete information is provided. Bear in mind that SS waited until a month before the Sept Black Sea cruise was due to sail to make the changes last year.

On 3/6/2022 at 9:42 AM, brittany12 said:

The interesting Black Sea ports were the Ukrainian ports of Yalta and Sevastopol  in the old pre-Russian invasion days before 2014 and Odessa. Thank God we did. Sochi is Russia.

I have visited Sevastopol and Sochi as ports during my world cruise.  And, am so glad that I did then.  Wouldn't want to do so now!  

18 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Received word March 7 from SS that Black Sea ports of call on our July 10 Spirit departure have been dropped with substitute ports added in Greece. 

Did you get which Greece ports have been added? thanks

20 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Received word March 7 from SS that Black Sea ports of call on our July 10 Spirit departure have been dropped with substitute ports added in Greece. 

We are on the early Black Sea (May) cruise and haven’t heard anything yet. Although they are only showing last three days to book shores excursions.

7 minutes ago, Liquid Amber said:

We are on the early Black Sea (May) cruise and haven’t heard anything yet. Although they are only showing last three days to book shores excursions.

Heard (verbally) from TA today that something is coming this week - and that cancellation date (March 9) will be extended a few days to give time to decide to  accept alternative itinerary or cancel.

Edited by fizook
correction
  • Like 1

I just received an email from BM giving a complete itinerary change for the September Spirit Black Sea cruise. It’s now Greece plus Turkey. If you keep the voyage you will get $1000 OBC per guest plus a FCC worth 10% valid for 2 years. No special cancellation terms apply.

I assume that something similar is happening to the May cruises.

My initial view is that the incentives are pretty miserable.

• Like 1

We got the revised itinerary this morning for the July sailing, too. Still digesting it. The OBC doesn't have much value to me on an all-inclusive voyage and I'm not sure we need another FCC. Not really sure what we're going to do and happy that we're still able to cancel in case we decide to do so. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SummmerInKefalonia said:

Can someone post the revised itinerary please?

Here's what we got for the Jul 10 sailing. I hope the formatting works in cut and paste.

10-Jul-2022

Sun

PIRAEUS (Athens)

Greece

7:00

19:00

11-Jul-2022

Mon

Volos

Greece

8:30

20:00

12-Jul-2022

Tue

Thessaloniki

Greece

8:00

22:00

13-Jul-2022

Wed

Myrina, Lemnos

Greece

23:00

14-Jul-2022

Thu

day at sea

At sea

15-Jul-2022

Fri

Istanbul

Turkey

16-Jul-2022

Sat

Istanbul

Turkey

18:00

17-Jul-2022

Sun

day at sea

At sea

18-Jul-2022

Mon

Kusadasi

Turkey

23:00

19-Jul-2022

Tue

Patmos

Greece

20-Jul-2022

Wed

Santorini

Greece

21-Jul-2022

Thu

Rhodes

Greece

22-Jul-2022

Fri

Aghios Nikolaos, Crete

Greece

22:00

23-Jul-2022

Sat

Souda Bay, Crete

Greece

24-Jul-2022

Sun

Nafplion

Greece

25-Jul-2022

Mon

PIRAEUS (Athens)

Greece

7:00

• Like 1

We are on this May cruise. Considered canceling, but there are many of the places in Greece which we do not know, so in the end we are staying. We are using the OBC for some of the paying excursions (I'm looking forward to the concert in the Ephesus ruins!), and I guess I'll get a few spa treatments as well 😋

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 1:12 PM, brittany12 said:

This is a terrific new itinerary. So many  Greek ports,  IMHO, its the Greek islands that are so interesting.  I wish my upcoming Greek Islands cruise had more of Greece.

You're kidding , right?  

• Haha 1

On 3/7/2022 at 4:07 PM, rkacruiser said:

I have visited Sevastopol and Sochi as ports during my world cruise.  And, am so glad that I did then.  Wouldn't want to do so now!  

Especially with those mines floating around.

• Like 1

Black Sea has become a war zone. Russian planes and ships launching missiles from sea deep into Ukraine. Apparently some harbors now mined too. No place to travel to in future even if war ends. Yalta, Odessa, and Sevastopol in old Ukraine and Crimea were so delightful.  Sochi in Russia no longer possible either. Access to Sea is controlled by Turkey.